*** Denver I Fanviews 7/2 Here ***

Comments

• slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    The show was really nice, although i can't believe that 10club tickets are now being shoved to the side of the stage. I'm also pretty disappointed at the short set list. The night was a good one....full of energy, etc. It really looked like the guys were having a good time.

10 C tickets have always been pushed to side stage, once you get past a certain point on the floor. I would much rather sit there than 15-20 rows back on the floor.

I loved where I sat. I could see frickin' everything. It was sweet.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    First night was a pretty good short set and I enjoyed myself. Night 2 sucked as it was the same fucking show as night one, besides maybe 3 songs like Long Road and Unemployable. Worst PJ show Ive ever seen of the 10 or so I have been to. Many fans had their heads down after the show.
    100$, keep it Pearl Jam next time.

Um ... no. They played more than 3 different songs from night 1 to night 2. More like 10.

jesus fucking Christ man. Night 2 did not suck. I will remember certain moments of that night for my entire life (finally getting Long Road, finally getting Leash, a tear-jerking version of Come Back, an ass-on-fire version of Why Go, Stone playing a hell of a tamborine, etc, etc).

If you hated that show, you are too jaded.
  • This was my first show as a 10c member and thought the seats on the side were perfect. The set was great with some unexpected songs and they really rocked the short set. Would've liked to hear life wasted, but oh well. What was the deal with someone in the front row throwing money on stage?
  • denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    10 C tickets have always been pushed to side stage, once you get past a certain point on the floor. I would much rather sit there than 15-20 rows back on the floor.

I loved where I sat. I could see frickin' everything. It was sweet.

Exactly, I've traded my 10c tix before to other members who would rather be on the floor...I can't stand being way back on the floor, I can never see shit!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • fatb81fatb81 Posts: 5
    This was my first show as a 10c member and thought the seats on the side were perfect. The set was great with some unexpected songs and they really rocked the short set. Would've liked to hear life wasted, but oh well. What was the deal with someone in the front row throwing money on stage?

I dont know but Ed happily collected it up afterwards....he was smilin the whole time...funny stuff
  • I saw Petty in Rapid City, SD several years ago and what a great show it was. He wasn't wearing his glistening christ shirt and wasn't instigating applause from the audience. PEARL JAM stole the show! I was so goddamned pleased with what I witnessed. They were as good and even better than what I thought they'd be. I wanted a great PJ experience so I became a 10c member back in February cuz I knew they'd go on tour, and got seats kind of back and on the side. They were good seats considering 10c had to split with Petty fan. It was historic to see Petty and Vedder play together, but next time I see a PJ concert they'd better be playing by themselves for 2+ hrs. And oh how I wish I coulda seen them play Down and STateof Love and Trust the next night. If only I didn't have to drive from f***** Kansas City.... I don't want to be a whiny bitch about the experience though....this was just my opinion. Thanks Petty and PJ for attempting an epic experiment!

By the way....Anyone know of a possible stop in KC?
    DENVER I - 7/2/06
  • Yeah that vest he was wearing was unique to say the least.
  • lluukkiinnlluukkiinn Posts: 93
    Yeah that vest he was wearing was unique to say the least.
    what you didnt like the "T" in the back? gold is his color. ;) haha
    denver 7/2/06 & 7/3/06, chicago 8/5/07
  • amungusamungus Posts: 4
    Wow, I am glad to have been there! (July 2nd 2006)

Three of us actually, from KS...
    Personally, I thought it was awesome to open with WWS and Severed Hand, then to Hail Hail. That was a great open for the show. 3rd time seeing Pearl Jam, and Tom Petty.
    1st time, KC 2000, I screwed up Ed during Jeremy by waving my "surprise left" ..and he can be heard laughing while forgetting the lyrics there if you listen to that show... 2nd time, KC 2003, got absolutely amazing 10c tix being a fan from way back (not way way back though) and it was even better... Row "M" center seats, didn't care about the rain, and truly felt like a part of the club being there...

I think anyone who really was disappointed, should consider they weren't at a video arcade where they can put coins into machines and play their favorite games. These are rockstars here, and they do what they please, in hopes of pleasing as wide an audience as possible while still being creative about a setlist...
    ..speaking of setlist, the whole show was good. From both bands.

Present Tense was powerful... didn't expect to witness that song. While “Bee Girl” was playing, I was in the middle of a beer line... didn't care and ran back out to catch it, and I'm glad there was also a kind “blogger” who posted a video clip of that, along with a nice review. Personally, I thought vocals were the tightest I've heard. (Listening to Even Flow now, I can really hear the backup vocals like never before, and they were well done.. Ed was also at the TOP of his game IMHO).

PJ had much better sound (way up where we were..) than Petty... his vocals were begging to be turned up... should've rejoined the TEN club before going, but I will anyway since it's lapsed. The girl who bought tickets surprised me by getting us all a ticket, and before we knew it, were ready to go. Didn't care one bit that we were section 316, way way up there, the show was still excellent.

Everything about the show was something special. Playing in Denver was part of it, being with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, playing w/their guitarist, and later keyboardist, Ed singing w/them on TWO songs... the rare little gem that is BeeGirl, a bit of thanks for the soldiers, Bu$hleaguer, and a ripping performance of their "hits."

I was, and still am satisfied to have had that experience. All the better with Tom Petty I thought, really, how often does one get such an experience? That guy is still kicking it pretty hardcore for the 30th year, I mean, come on...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU PEARL JAM for putting out not only THESE shows, but for the VINYL finally!!!
    Ok, one more thing ...FLAC is many many times better than an mp3 (no matter how well encoded!!!) and THANK YOU for putting those up for the shows... WELL worth the extra $5 for the sonic qualities.

Rock.

-A

ps. thank you moderators for finally registering me so I could post my 2 cents on the show.
    amungus wrote:
    Wow, I am glad to have been there! (July 2nd 2006)

Three of us actually, from KS...
    Personally, I thought it was awesome to open with WWS and Severed Hand, then to Hail Hail. That was a great open for the show. 3rd time seeing Pearl Jam, and Tom Petty.
    1st time, KC 2000, I screwed up Ed during Jeremy by waving my "surprise left" ..and he can be heard laughing while forgetting the lyrics there if you listen to that show... 2nd time, KC 2003, got absolutely amazing 10c tix being a fan from way back (not way way back though) and it was even better... Row "M" center seats, didn't care about the rain, and truly felt like a part of the club being there...

I think anyone who really was disappointed, should consider they weren't at a video arcade where they can put coins into machines and play their favorite games. These are rockstars here, and they do what they please, in hopes of pleasing as wide an audience as possible while still being creative about a setlist...
    ..speaking of setlist, the whole show was good. From both bands.

Present Tense was powerful... didn't expect to witness that song. While “Bee Girl” was playing, I was in the middle of a beer line... didn't care and ran back out to catch it, and I'm glad there was also a kind “blogger” who posted a video clip of that, along with a nice review. Personally, I thought vocals were the tightest I've heard. (Listening to Even Flow now, I can really hear the backup vocals like never before, and they were well done.. Ed was also at the TOP of his game IMHO).

PJ had much better sound (way up where we were..) than Petty... his vocals were begging to be turned up... should've rejoined the TEN club before going, but I will anyway since it's lapsed. The girl who bought tickets surprised me by getting us all a ticket, and before we knew it, were ready to go. Didn't care one bit that we were section 316, way way up there, the show was still excellent.

Everything about the show was something special. Playing in Denver was part of it, being with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, playing w/their guitarist, and later keyboardist, Ed singing w/them on TWO songs... the rare little gem that is BeeGirl, a bit of thanks for the soldiers, Bu$hleaguer, and a ripping performance of their "hits."

I was, and still am satisfied to have had that experience. All the better with Tom Petty I thought, really, how often does one get such an experience? That guy is still kicking it pretty hardcore for the 30th year, I mean, come on...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU PEARL JAM for putting out not only THESE shows, but for the VINYL finally!!!
    Ok, one more thing ...FLAC is many many times better than an mp3 (no matter how well encoded!!!) and THANK YOU for putting those up for the shows... WELL worth the extra $5 for the sonic qualities.

Rock.

-A

ps. thank you moderators for finally registering me so I could post my 2 cents on the show.

nice review.

one question though ... what in God's name were you doing in the beer line in the middle of a PJ set? And a short PJ set at that?

That's what Petty was for.
  • amungusamungus Posts: 4
    thanks,

..simply to cheer with :) ...ran back out to see BeeGirl as soon as I heard 2 chords!
    amungus wrote:
    thanks,

..simply to cheer with :) ...ran back out to see BeeGirl as soon as I heard 2 chords!

I still can't believe they played that fucking song :)
  • Soulfire42Soulfire42 Posts: 404
    Has Jeff ever played the guitar for PJ before instead of the bass? I don't recall ever hearing of that or seeing it. It was certainly unexpected.

I'm listening to the boots right now from Denver and I have a huge shit-eating grin on my face. :)
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    Has Jeff ever played the guitar for PJ before instead of the bass? I don't recall ever hearing of that or seeing it. It was certainly unexpected.

I'm listening to the boots right now from Denver and I have a huge shit-eating grin on my face. :)

he plays guitar on "Smile" while Stone plays bass. When I saw Jeff with a guitar, I originally thought we were getting "Smile." Then I saw it was an acoustic and went, "What the fuck?"

great, great moment :)
  • Soulfire42Soulfire42 Posts: 404
    he plays guitar on "Smile" while Stone plays bass. When I saw Jeff with a guitar, I originally thought we were getting "Smile." Then I saw it was an acoustic and went, "What the fuck?"

great, great moment :)

Ah, cool. I didn't know that. In listening to the boot, Mike's solo in Evenflow sounds SO much better than what I heard on night one while in the arena I actually thought he was having problems with his guitar at the time, but the boot is making me wonder if just my position in the arena (Stone's side in the bowl).
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    Ah, cool. I didn't know that. In listening to the boot, Mike's solo in Evenflow sounds SO much better than what I heard on night one while in the arena I actually thought he was having problems with his guitar at the time, but the boot is making me wonder if just my position in the arena (Stone's side in the bowl).

I was on Mike's side both nights. I had a pretty good view. He wasn't having ANY problems shredding that sumbitch, trust me :)
  • Was lucky enough to be able to road trip down to Denver for night 1 of this very cool PJ/Petty experience. This was my 5th PJ live show, and while it was good, it didn't leave me with the sense of excitement that all the others have. I think the set they played was awesome, but it left me wanting so much more. I'd be sad if this was my only PJ show this tour, but I get to see them twice at the Gorge, so I kind of thought of this one as my appetizer!

Overall great show. PJ was great. Petty was 'good'. I didn't dislike Petty's set at all, but the whole time I just wished it was still PJ on stage.

Some highlights...

My seats were pretty dang good. 21st row on the side, on Mike's side. If I had to pick a side of the stage other than the front, I would pick Mike's side any day of the week! He's awesome, and does a GREAT job of playing to his side of the crowd. A very nice treat.

I like the band mixing for the last song. I had no idea that Petty's guitarist (Mike Campbell?) was so awesome. That dude rocks!

Bee Girl. Saw this one in Missoula last year, and was totally stoked to see it live again. Just a fun part of the show.

The new songs. First time seeing them live, and was very impressed - loved Comatose!

That's it. Wish I could have gone to night 2, too, but I'm counting the days till the Gorge!
    I like the band mixing for the last song. I had no idea that Petty's guitarist (Mike Campbell?) was so awesome. That dude rocks!

I'll second that. He was pretty freaking good. Although, he was still the second-best lead guitarist named Mike in the building :)
    The new songs. First time seeing them live, and was very impressed - loved Comatose!

I'll double-second this. I have a bunch of boots from this tour, but I wasn't really prepared for how tight the knew songs would be. WWS is unbelievable live. I'm not the biggest fan of the record version of Comatose ... but live, man, it's a sight (and sound) to behold.
  • axlsdaddyaxlsdaddy Posts: 16
    Well I guess if you put 20,000 people in an arena for a concert you will get 20,000 different reviews. As a long time fan with literally dozens of PJ shows under my belt (10 club member for 12 years) I have to say it was a great show with a great setlist with lots of old standbys and lots of surprises.

I thought the PJ sound mix was fine as I was sitting 11th row center but that that the TP sound was mix was terrible.

EV on The Waiting was AMAZING!! but American girl was not worth waiting for.

My person highlight of the evening was when walking to the bathroom past the light/sound board at the back of the stage during TP I noticed a little white haired guy who looked alot like Mike and as I got closer it turned out to be Mike and after going to the bathroom I went on a search for a sharpie and went back and said hey and we chatted for a couple of minutes and he was happy to sign my ticket stub.

All in all a great night
  • I just wanted to comment on the criticism of Tom Petty on this thread. He's not a "diva" - but rather he's been doing the arms-raised-to-the-crowd thing as a celebratory gesture and he's been doing it forever. I've seen Tom & the Heartbreakers for ten shows over the past fifteen years and he's actually one of the most gracious, appreciative rock stars ever. He always mentions that he sincerely appreciates the fans coming out and letting them live a great life for the past thirty years. And there's a reason why Eddie mentioned twice that night how honored he & PJ were to open for the Heartbreakers - it's because TP & the HB's are one of the greatest bands in the history of American rock 'n roll (along with PJ). In fact, I'm hard-pressed to name better live American rock bands than Tom Petty and Pearl Jam (maybe Springsteen, maybe the Dead). It was an amazing night in Denver - as is any night when 20,000 people sing along to anthems by two blistering bands. And for those who wanted a longer PJ set, just be grateful that you got an eighteen song, one-and-a-half hour set from an opening band and then got another one-and-a-half hour set from a Hall-of-Fame artist (if you stuck around). That's an incredible double bill and worth every cent.
    Lake Fairfax 92 MTV Awards 93 Indio 93 2SDs 95 Bridge Sch 96 Oakland 97 Maui 98 Vegas 98 2LAs 98 Columbia, MD 98 Bridge Sch 99 Jones Bch 00 Vegas 00 LA 00 SD 00 Bridge Sch 01 Seattle 02 Bridge Sch 03 Santa Barbara 03 Denver 06 2LAs 06 Fonda 06 SF1 06 Hullabaloo 07 Lolla 07 Bonnaroo 08
  • I've tried not to get sucked back in to this board b/c I know how adicting it can be...but this show was completely disappointing. I travelled 8 hours from Omaha to see PJ not TP. I was expecting PJ to play their normal 2.5-3 hour/25-30 song set rather than a mere 1.5 hours/18 songs especially when I see the 30 song set list they played last night in San Diego. I've seen PJ 14 times now and I've never been so let down (probably b/c this was the only show I was able to see this tour). I have nothing against TP but he was not what I drove that far for when I thought I had PJ fan club tickets to a PJ concert. It would have been nice if they each played 2 hour sets to make the $100 ticket worth it.

No negative replies necessary...just wanted to get this off my chest so I can calm down and not get angry every time I hear a TP song on the radio.
  • The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    Okay, I have had a chance to read everyone of you die hard's response to both of the Denver shows. I know they didn't play as long as a set as normal, but keep in mind....Pearl Jam ALWAYS plays longer than the average band. PJ is in my top 5 bands all-time and I wish they had played longer. But I'm from Texas and they aren't coming around here(again) for, at least a while. So when I heard PJ was doing a double bill with TP, it was a no-brainer to make the trip. TP is also one of my all-time favs. I knew he would play the same setlist as he does every night, but he sounds so good doing it. PJ was fucking awesome!!! As they always have been. But this was a unique show. I got a rip-roaring set from them and then a classic set from TP. If this had been my first PJ show, I might have been upset. But this was #5 for me, and felt it was the best because of the format. Awesome to see Bu$hleaguer in Denver after the controversy of last time. I saw them in S.A. a few nights later and anyone who was at the SA show knows the improvs EV did that night that reflected back to the Denver incident. That made this show even more special. Denver was such a cool fucking city that I'm actually thinking of moving there next year just because of my trip there. Awesome people throughout the city! And you all were the best crowd; especially considering that it was a diverse crowd of PJ fans and TP fans. Most of the posts I've read are fans who have seen PJ many, many times. Don't feel cheated; you saw something most fans didn't. And most of you are going to other shows. Just think, one day people will be talking about the monumental shows PJ and TP did together and you will be able to say 'I was there'. Keep on rockin'!!!
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • BeowulfBeowulf Posts: 1
    Huge Pearl Jam fan, son starting playing guitar 2 years ago (14 yrs old) and I took him to see PJ. Got seats right next to the sound boards and sat with band members wifes (next row next to their seating). Excellent seats and PJ rocked! Son was blown away!
  • MagnoliaMagnolia Posts: 2
    DefJef44 wrote:
    FU to the dumb blonde girl who stood in front of us waving her cell phone up high so someone could listen on the other end....you suck for blocking our view you stupid b
    Hey DefJef - I'm afraid I might be that dumb blonde girl. My son is a huge
    Pear Jam fan and could not make the show. I got so caught up in the concert that I just wanted him to be able to hear a little of the magic that was taking place. I honestly was in my own little world and did not even consider the people standing behind me.
    I apologize, I really do. It was completely thoughtless of me. Please accept my apology.
    I've tried not to get sucked back in to this board b/c I know how adicting it can be...but this show was completely disappointing. I travelled 8 hours from Omaha to see PJ not TP. I was expecting PJ to play their normal 2.5-3 hour/25-30 song set rather than a mere 1.5 hours/18 songs especially when I see the 30 song set list they played last night in San Diego. I've seen PJ 14 times now and I've never been so let down (probably b/c this was the only show I was able to see this tour). I have nothing against TP but he was not what I drove that far for when I thought I had PJ fan club tickets to a PJ concert. It would have been nice if they each played 2 hour sets to make the $100 ticket worth it.

This isn't exactly a negative reply ... but ... it seems like you were the only one in the building who expected Pearl Jam to play three hours. You really expected Tom Petty to hit the stage at, what, 11 o'clock?

I understand wanting more PJ --- we all did --- but the problem with the show were your expectations.

I went in expecting a "greatest hits" type show, since I knew it was gonna be a short set. So to get Present Tense, Bee Girl, etc out of the deal blew away my expectations.
  • I thought it was fairly humorous when the fans thought PJ was getting booed when in actuality they were yelling "Boooooom." I had to explain it to the probable Petty fans sitting around me. I'm sure many more ppl throughout the building assumed PJ was getting booed for their keyboardist taking off since his mother died... I spoke with a guy on my walk out of the Pepsi Center about the concert and he thought Eddie said Mike was gone for the night, so the entire night this guy thought the PJ guitarist was a stand-in?? I also had to explain to this man that twas not Mike, but Boom who left. No one knows about poor ol' Boom and his masterful skills on the keyboard/organ....
    DENVER I - 7/2/06
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    First pearl jam show and I couldn't be happier. After driving 7 hours from Lincoln, NE, I went into this concert knowing that I wouldn't be getting a regular pearl jam set, but when your in the 6th row it makes for an incredible experience. I posted about this in one of the boards already but long story short, i scored some 6th row seats off ticketmaster 6 days before the show. Pearl Jam brought the rock and the crowd was absolutly loving them. From the drum solo in Evenflow, to Mike's solos all night, and then members of the Heartbreakers filling in for Boom and coming out for the encore it was an amazing night. I do have to brag a little though because when Eddie came out to do American Girl with Tom Petty he threw the tamborines in the crowd and the lady behind me actually got it. However she was nice enough to let me and my other two buddies tear a piece of the drum head that was on the tamborine. We then tore off a couple more chunks of our piece for 2 ten club members sitting in front of us and they were stoked about that. What a great show and by far the best concert I have ever been to. Now I wish Pearl Jam would add a 3rd leg and play either Omaha or Kansas City!
  • First pearl jam show and I couldn't be happier. After driving 7 hours from Lincoln, NE, I went into this concert knowing that I wouldn't be getting a regular pearl jam set, but when your in the 6th row it makes for an incredible experience. I posted about this in one of the boards already but long story short, i scored some 6th row seats off ticketmaster 6 days before the show. Pearl Jam brought the rock and the crowd was absolutly loving them. From the drum solo in Evenflow, to Mike's solos all night, and then members of the Heartbreakers filling in for Boom and coming out for the encore it was an amazing night. I do have to brag a little though because when Eddie came out to do American Girl with Tom Petty he threw the tamborines in the crowd and the lady behind me actually got it. However she was nice enough to let me and my other two buddies tear a piece of the drum head that was on the tamborine. We then tore off a couple more chunks of our piece for 2 ten club members sitting in front of us and they were stoked about that. What a great show and by far the best concert I have ever been to. Now I wish Pearl Jam would add a 3rd leg and play either Omaha or Kansas City!

YES! I drove from KC to watch it but bought 10 club tickets thinking I was going to be in Wyoming at the time. Distance is not a concern when given the chance to watch PJ for the first time. A KC or Omaha show would be a delight though. How in the hell did you get such tickets? I am extremely envious of you....
    DENVER I - 7/2/06
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    mightymarc wrote:
    YES! I drove from KC to watch it but bought 10 club tickets thinking I was going to be in Wyoming at the time. Distance is not a concern when given the chance to watch PJ for the first time. A KC or Omaha show would be a delight though. How in the hell did you get such tickets? I am extremely envious of you....

I got pretty lucky. I got on ticketmaster and searched best 3 seats available and they were in the back corner. Then I saw there was an option to by the new Tom Petty cd with your tickets and I was curious if you get better seats doing this. Well after searching it pulled up seats in the 6th row, center section. It was well worth the 16 bucks for the new Tom Petty cd, because we were 6 rows dead center right in front of Eddie. After asking around it sounds like they might have been fan club tickets (tom petty) that just didn't sell so they released them on ticketmaster a few days before the show. I'm still in shock!
  • CaliBigWaveCaliBigWave California Posts: 82
    A little late, but here are my pics from the show:

http://webpages.charter.net/forestrat/pics/denver070206/