*** Denver I Fanviews 7/2 Here ***

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
~

Pearl Jam Set List: World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Hail Hail, Do The Evolution, Given To Fly, Even Flow, Present Tense, Jeremy, Army Reserve, Daughter, Bee Girl, Corduroy (with Benmont Tench), , Better Man, Black (with Benmont Tench)

Encore: Comatose, Bu$hleaguer, Alive, So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star (with Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench)

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers Set List: Listen To Her Heart, You Don't Know How It Feels, I Won't Back Down, Free Fallin', Saving Grace, Handle With Care, Mary Jane’s Last Dance, I’m A Man, Oh Well, The Waiting (with Ed), Cabin Down Below, Learning To Fly, Don't Come Around Here No More, Refugee, Running Down A Dream*

Encore: You Wreck Me, Mystic Eyes, American Girl (with Ed)

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.

Quest for pure Fanviews! Thank you for all your stories and views, edwho

Set list source: blackredyellow.com, tenclub.net and tompetty.com

* TP&TH set list may be incorrect and or out of order

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Couldn't do it. Pearl Jam absoultely blew me and the rest of the crowd away. Extreme enegry, just going off. This was my 8th PJ show and for such a such short set list, they peeled the paint off the wall. I wanted to give Tom Petty his due, but he kept acting like the crowd owed him respect. You've got to earn that shit Tom. Sorry to rip, I guess he is a legend. But I really wasn't impressed. Kudos to PJ, they were gracious host at Tom Petty's party. I really tried, i just couldn't make it through Tom's set. Bring on Vega$! That's gonna be sick!!!

Petty fans, rip away....
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    rocket70 wrote:
    Couldn't do it. Pearl Jam absoultely blew me and the rest of the crowd away. Extreme enegry, just going off. This was my 8th PJ show and for such a such short set list, the peeled the paint off the wall. I wanted to give Tom Petty his due, but he kept acting like the crowd owed him respect. You've got to earn that shit Tom. Sorry to rip, I guess he is a legend. But I really wasn't impressed. Kudos to PJ, they were gracous host at Tom Petty's party.

Petty fans, rip away....

I'm just choked you guys got an encore and all we got in St. Paul was an hour break
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • I gotta know...did Ed bring out the mask and Jacket for Bushleaguer???
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I'm just choked you guys got an encore and all we got in St. Paul was an hour break

Yeah, that was a nice touch. Giving us propper closure....
    I gotta know...did Ed bring out the mask and Jacket for Bushleaguer???

Unfortunately not.
  • rocket70 wrote:
    Unfortunately not.

Dooh. Well after 2003 I can't say as I blame Ed.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    Dooh. Well after 2003 I can't say as I blame Ed.

fuck that... he needs to set it on fire everytime they play it :D
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    I have to say Bee Girl and Bushleagure were a suprise, the encore was a sweet little treat..the show was awesome, Pj and Petty were on fire! Ed came out and helped out with some vocals with Petty, which was awesome...overall a great show, one of the better in my short history here on earth.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
    rocket70 wrote:
    Couldn't do it. Pearl Jam absoultely blew me and the rest of the crowd away. Extreme enegry, just going off. This was my 8th PJ show and for such a such short set list, the peeled the paint off the wall. I wanted to give Tom Petty his due, but he kept acting like the crowd owed him respect. You've got to earn that shit Tom. Sorry to rip, I guess he is a legend. But I really wasn't impressed. Kudos to PJ, they were gracious host at Tom Petty's party. I really tried, i just couldn't make it through Tom's set. No disrespect, but to each their own. Bring on Vega$! That's gonna be sick!!!

Petty fans, rip away....

it may be that you haven't seen Petty all that much...I am not a petty fan but do head out to see the band whenever they are near...just the fact that they are legends and play great music, Tom is owed our respect, him and the Heartbreakers have paid their dues. Anyway, their set tonight was smokin...never seen Petty rock like that, normally it's a rocker with some low key sprinkled in to even things out ....not tonight, I thought Tom set it off. Also nice to hear "hey those PJ guys are a pretty good band, who would have guessed it." From some older Petty fans while I was taking a leak
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

• The ends of both Daughter and Cordoruy were blistering. I've neither heard in live shows nor on boots the equivalent brillance displayed tonight. Wow.

Bu$hleaguer was a tremendous surprise indeed.

I forget which was the first song Ed came on to sing w/ TP but he helped close it out on an American Girl...and that just rocked.

Hoping for something extra special tomorrow night...their last night together.
    "A compliment for us, is a compliment for you."
    Vancouver '05, Denver I/II '06, Gorge I/II '06, MSG I/II '08, VH1 Rock Honors '08, Seattle I/II '09, Vancouver '11
    EV: Portland '11, Seattle Benaroya I/II '11
    guljor94 wrote:
    The ends of both Daughter and Cordoruy were blistering. I've neither heard in live shows nor on boots the equivalent brillance displayed tonight. Wow.

I forget which was the first song Ed came on to sing w/ TP but he helped close it out on an American Girl...and that just rocked.

Hoping for something extra special tomorrow night...their last night together.

Fuck I didn't even think about evenflow...the solos by Matt and Mike were something pretty fucking special also...best evenflow I've heard live to date.

Well shit, while Im up I would also like to talk about the "production" aspect of the petty show...whats up with all the extra big screens and extra lighting?? Does PJ not like to be invloved with this sort of thing, or is it that Petty fans are getting older and the eyesite just goes so the aid of big screens is necessary etc???

• mfogel2002mfogel2002 Posts: 15
    Well I just got back from my first PJ show and I was impressed. They played just about every song I wanted to hear. The energy was awsome, I think the crowd was more of a Pearl Jam fan base but that could be just me. I would be curious to hear more reviews from the hard core fans. Seems like some may not like it because of all the "radio hits".

Tom Petty rocked and played some great songs but I was slightly disappointed. Not sure why.

It was a great show and defenitaly worth the 90 bucks.
  • surfshopsurfshop Posts: 1
    A little dissappointed with the show overall...but have whined and comisserated enough with 10c people all night at the show. Of course Bee Girl was a nice surprise - as was getting to see Army for the first time live. R'n'R star was with Mike Campbell from Heartbreakers; Boom is out of town for a funeral? Heartbreakers keyboardist came out in his place and was rather amazing...great fill-in's on necessary key parts. He didn't miss a note.

Definitely played all the hits - plus a few rarities. Good energy, but I guess I'm spoiled after 20+ shows. Still great to see the boys after a few years. I'm looking forward to filling out the rest of the two day setlist tomorrow.

Ed came out with Petty for "The Waiting" about mid-set and then, as reported, for "American Girl" to close. Being so used to PJ being so gracious to their crowd, it is a little difficult to take Petty with arms wide open at face value. Don't get me wrong, he's a legend - enjoyed the set (even played Traveling Wilbury's). I just really dig Ed's lacking conceit on stage.

Also was pissed at PJ's mix early in the show. On Severed Hand, there was way too much Mike and too little of Stone's part - sounded whack.

I did hear a good explaination as to why we should still be thankful - that Petty always plays Colorado, and that was probably the only way we were going to see PJ on this tour was via TP.

Also - I'm pretty sure I saw Jill and Olivia on the side stage left - O.V. had on big ear phones and Jill was holding her rocking out. Ed motioned to them a few times during the show. He even made mention of them during his encore with Petty on Waiting saying, "This is for Jill!"

cheers.
  • damn they're still touring with petty? glad vegas will be without. sorry, but petty bored me on milwaukee I so much that i went outside and sold my tickets for milwaukee II after pearl jam left the stage. too bad. i used to like him.
    ~I'd list my shows here, but I've long since lost count~
    surfshop wrote:
    Being so used to PJ being so gracious to their crowd, it is a little difficult to take Petty with arms wide open at face value. Don't get me wrong, he's a legend - enjoyed the set (even played Traveling Wilbury's). I just really dig Ed's lacking conceit on stage.
    Thank you, this sums it up perfectly for me. Tom Petty has done some amazing work over his career, but damn.......
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,839
    guljor94 wrote:

Did Ed talk about the publicity from the 2003 peformance of the song in Denver?
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    how was the crowd reaction to bushleaguer? boos? cheers?
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • WildEyedMaryWildEyedMary Posts: 127
    Well this was my second PJ show and I had an awesome time!!! I went to the one in 2003 and I fell in love so I am a fairly new fan. Anyway I went with my mom who is a longtime fan and has a VERY low number and we were in the FRONT ROW!!!!! Right in front of Mike. It was so amazing!!!
    The people on either side of me got a setlist and my mom caught a Mike pic. It was her birthday so she was excited.
    Pretty generic setlist but I really did not mind since it was my second show. All I wanted to hear was Present Tense and they played it!!! It was a really great performance.
    Ed was switched from tea to wine throughout the night and at one point he came over and poured some wine into my mom and some other people's empty glasses. He did it at the end of the show too. During Even Flow Ed said that he had read that Denver had one of the lowest homeless rates and how he was impressed by that. Army Reserve is one of my favorite new songs so I was glad they played it. Ed toasted the troops before playing it and someone threw a huge wad of money on stage that Ed gathered at the end of the song and said "thank you." Bee Girl and Bushleaguer were interesting surprises and at one point Ed pretended to pull the mask out of his pocket but got a big smile on his face and shook his head no. He did not say anything about the song before or after they just played it. Black was beautiful with Ed singing the "duh duh do duh do" and the end which I don't think you hear much. I was very suprised we got an encore. Ed also annouced that Boom's mother had passed away a couple days ago he went back home for the funeral.
    Ed came out with Petty and sang the first 2 verses of The Waiting and dedicated it to Jill. I saw her rocking out on Stone's side of the stage.
    He came out again with Petty for American Girl and shredded the tamborines. It was pretty cool.
    I have seen Petty twice and it was pretty much the same. He was ok, but I thought PJ was better of course. My mom did not like him this time. He kept thanking us over and over which was funny. I also noticed that he just threw his pics on the stage after the songs but at the end of the night the techs threw them to us and I got one. I also got a setlist. At the end of The Waiting he threw his pic behind him and Ed picked it up and put it in his pocket. He played 2 of my favs though: Handle with Care by the Traveling Willburys and his second song, You Don't Know How it Feels.
    I can't wait for tonight and then in Vegas where we get PJ all to ourselves!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,770
    CrazyMary6 wrote:
    Well this was my second PJ show and I had an awesome time!!! I went to the one in 2003 and I fell in love so I am a fairly new fan. Anyway I went with my mom who is a longtime fan and has a VERY low number and we were in the FRONT ROW!!!!! Right in front of Mike. It was so amazing!!!
    The people on either side of me got a setlist and my mom caught a Mike pic. It was her birthday so she was excited.
    Pretty generic setlist but I really did not mind since it was my second show. All I wanted to hear was Present Tense and they played it!!! It was a really great performance.
    Ed was switched from tea to wine throughout the night and at one point he came over and poured some wine into my mom and some other people's empty glasses. He did it at the end of the show too. During Even Flow Ed said that he had read that Denver had one of the lowest homeless rates and how he was impressed by that. Army Reserve is one of my favorite new songs so I was glad they played it. Ed toasted the troops before playing it and someone threw a huge wad of money on stage that Ed gathered at the end of the song and said "thank you." Bee Girl and Bushleaguer were interesting surprises and at one point Ed pretended to pull the mask out of his pocket but got a big smile on his face and shook his head no. He did not say anything about the song before or after they just played it. Black was beautiful with Ed singing the "duh duh do duh do" and the end which I don't think you hear much. I was very suprised we got an encore. Ed also annouced that Boom's mother had passed away a couple days ago he went back home for the funeral.
    Ed came out with Petty and sang the first 2 verses of The Waiting and dedicated it to Jill. I saw her rocking out on Stone's side of the stage.
    He came out again with Petty for American Girl and shredded the tamborines. It was pretty cool.
    I have seen Petty twice and it was pretty much the same. He was ok, but I thought PJ was better of course. My mom did not like him this time. He kept thanking us over and over which was funny. I also noticed that he just threw his pics on the stage after the songs but at the end of the night the techs threw them to us and I got one. I also got a setlist. At the end of The Waiting he threw his pic behind him and Ed picked it up and put it in his pocket. He played 2 of my favs though: Handle with Care by the Traveling Willberries and his second song, Roll Another Joint.
    I can't wait for tonight and then in Vegas where we get PJ all to ourselves!!!

I really enjoyed reading that. :)

someone threw money on the stage? That's bizarrre.
  • nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    CrazyMary6 wrote:
    Ed also annouced that Boom's mother had passed away a couple days ago he went back home for the funeral.

That explains all the emotion in Milwaukee Night I
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • DefJef44DefJef44 Posts: 13
    The show last night was just PHENOMINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was at the edge of the third level to the right of the stage, looking straight down at Mike. It's the first time I've been close enough to see what was really going on on the stage...Every single member of the band looked juiced up, excited to be playing there, and they ripped the Pepsi Center to shreds. It was a short setlist, but every since song was done so well. No filler, nothing but incredible rock. I had goosebumps the entire time. This was my 3rd time seeing them and it was the best, most energetic I've seen them. The songs from the new album sounded great live....so happy they played a bunch. Comatose during the encore rocked hard. Suprised there was nothing from Binural. So happy to have heard Present Tense and Hail Hail live!!! And songs like Black or Betterman that I've heard a million times on other boots had their own sound to them last night....they changed it up a bit. So many good solos.....the beginnning of Severed Hand really comes off well live.

Anway, sorry for the scattered review....just an amazing time. Petty was great as well, but a much different show. I enjoyed him more than I expected...esp. when Eddie came out twice...
    Just bummed that this was really a Petty show with PJ opening...wish Denver would get a full show this time around.
  • lluukkiinnlluukkiinn Posts: 93
    surfshop wrote:
    A little dissappointed with the show overall...but have whined and comisserated enough with 10c people all night at the show. .
    Was this because of the seat location you got?
    denver 7/2/06 & 7/3/06, chicago 8/5/07
  • surfshop wrote:
    A little dissappointed with the show overall...but have whined and comisserated enough with 10c people all night at the show. Of course Bee Girl was a nice surprise - as was getting to see Army for the first time live. R'n'R star was with Mike Campbell from Heartbreakers; Boom is out of town for a funeral? Heartbreakers keyboardist came out in his place and was rather amazing...great fill-in's on necessary key parts. He didn't miss a note.

Definitely played all the hits - plus a few rarities. Good energy, but I guess I'm spoiled after 20+ shows. Still great to see the boys after a few years. I'm looking forward to filling out the rest of the two day setlist tomorrow.

Ed came out with Petty for "The Waiting" about mid-set and then, as reported, for "American Girl" to close. Being so used to PJ being so gracious to their crowd, it is a little difficult to take Petty with arms wide open at face value. Don't get me wrong, he's a legend - enjoyed the set (even played Traveling Wilbury's). I just really dig Ed's lacking conceit on stage.

Also was pissed at PJ's mix early in the show. On Severed Hand, there was way too much Mike and too little of Stone's part - sounded whack.

I did hear a good explaination as to why we should still be thankful - that Petty always plays Colorado, and that was probably the only way we were going to see PJ on this tour was via TP.

Also - I'm pretty sure I saw Jill and Olivia on the side stage left - O.V. had on big ear phones and Jill was holding her rocking out. Ed motioned to them a few times during the show. He even made mention of them during his encore with Petty on Waiting saying, "This is for Jill!"

cheers.

Pretty "on" review here. I agree with it all. IMHO, the crowd was just "ok". Maybe it's because I sat on Stone's side (you are correct about Olivia and Jill...both on the side stage and Ed watched/waved at them quite a few times and Jill was rocking out pretty hard). I can tell you that 1/2 the people in my section were sitting down 1/2 way through TP's set. If not for Ed coming out for "The Waiting", I would guess more people would have left.

Still, good set by the guys. Would agree that the sound was off in places...but I can't complain. Looking forward to tonight...
    6/26-27/98, 6/13/99, 8/15/00, 10/12/00, 10/17-18/00, 12/09/02, 4/03/03, 6/09-10/03, 10/22/03, 9/28/04, 10/05/04, 8/29/05, 9/11-12-13/05, 5/27-28/06, 7/2-3/06, 7/22-23/06, VIC, 8/5/07, 6/24-25/08...
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    surfshop wrote:

How could you be disappointed at that show? I went EXPECTING a greatest hits show ... and was totally blown away with how diverse the set was. I saw four "old" songs that I've never seen live before in 10+ years of PJ concert going.

When you get to be a veteran like me, and can still hear a decade-old song live for the first time ... how awesome is that?

Nobody should complain about this show. It was phenomenal. Power packed.

Petty was good too. Ed sang all of the Waiting for him ... Petty only sang the bridge. Ed sang all the verses and choruses alone. For one song, it was more like Ed Vedder and the Heartbreakers.

He traded verses with Tom on American Girl later on.

anyway ... that was definitely an awesome show. better than I expected when I bought the tickets, to be honest.

EDIT: To those who were curious ... PJ went on at 7:32 and finished for good at 9:05, by my watch. Petty started at 10 and ended about 11:40. So the sets were fairly even in length. And when you factor in all of ed's singing with the Heartbreakers ....
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    How could you be disappointed at that show? I went EXPECTING a greatest hits show ... and was totally blown away with how diverse the set was. I saw four "old" songs that I've never seen live before in 10+ years of PJ concert going.

Amen. How the hell could you have not of been psyched on last night's performance. Do you people even like Pearl Jam? I mean Lost Dogs tracks are great, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker....
    Did Ed talk about the publicity from the 2003 peformance of the song in Denver?

not a word, he just spoke to how proud he was of Denver and the city having some of the lowest poverty rates in the country...then broke into that sweet rendition of evenflow..it was such a smokin' show on both parts...I cant wait for tonight!

• slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    rocket70 wrote:
    Amen. How the hell could you have not of been psyched on last night's performance. Do you people even like Pearl Jam? I mean Lost Dogs tracks are great, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker....

and on top of that YOU PEOPLE GOT A LOST DOGS TRACK!

In a show that was "supposed" to feature only new songs and greatest hits.

I never would have expected to hear Present Tense at that show in a million years, much less Bee Girl.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • chaslilchaslil Westminster CO Posts: 306
    It was cool PJ brought out Campbell during "Rock and Roll Star". As a PJ fan I was disappointed in the muddy sound PJ got. I think it was because they were using Petty's system instead of their own. When McCready soloed, he barely stood out from the mix. Once P J 's stuff was cleared away, the sound was crisper for Petty's band, although even Petty's mic didn't sound clear at times (I was 8th row center section).

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Present Tense. But PJ really played alot of hits, so if they don't do repeats, it might be leass appealing to the casual fans. I bet we get RVM and either Baba or RITFW tonight.

I came for PJ but my casual rock friends liked Petty more because of all the hits and cleaner sound. PJ played more obscure songs, but still some of their classics. Pearl Jam fans dominated the front (probably because many bought Petty fan club seats) and all the dancing subsided during Petty.

I have a different set of friends coming tonight, but am not looking forward to sitting through the same Petty setlist all over again.
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
  • I am almost positive most of the crowd was there for PJ. I was very surprised at the energy from the crowd and I think they were too. From the reviews from the other "coheadliner" shows it sounded like seats were empty for PJ and most of the crowd was for Petty but I dont think that was the case last night, everyone was into PJ. Eddie even recognized it and said "it is not lost on us".

Present Tense, Army Reserve and Bee Girl were definately my favorites. Sure I would have liked a few more tunes, but they will be back tonight and hopefully that energy comes with them..

Jeff was really animated last night, usually he is kind of quiet in the corner but he was all over the place..

It was a decent show and I look forward to tonight.

Oh I did not stay for a second of petty, didnt want to taint my evening. I am going with the Mrs. tonight and we will probably stay and see some petty, that will be enough....

thanks for a good sow
    Paramount Theater 94 (my first show)
    Red Rocks 95 (the best venue)
    Fiddlers Green 98 (good 10c seats)
    Albuquerque 00 (good road trip, best 10c seats)
    Pepsi Center 03 (best show)
    Pepsi Center 06 X 2 (still mad about TPHB)
    Portland 09
    Up Next :Telluride x 2 16