The National Football League

Comments

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Billy-Cundiff-web-store.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i'll thank you never to bring that up again.

my sixers had the 2nd pick that year. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
    g under p wrote:
    ......and they were able to get Tim duncan over the Celtics who had 2 picks in the top 5 and STILL didn't snag him. :(

Peace

:lol::lol:

sorry guys...didn't realize it was a sore spot :P :lol:
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    picks 2 & 6...

which they used on Billups and ron Mercer, and passed over tracy mcgrady....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    81 wrote:
    picks 2 & 6...

no the sixers had the 2nd pick which they used on keith van horn...then traded him to the nets for tim thomas. :x

it takes a lot for me to not like a villanova player and i hated tim thomas.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    81 wrote:
    picks 2 & 6...

no the sixers had the 2nd pick which they used on keith van horn...then traded him to the nets for tim thomas. :x

duh...i was gonna say something about them not taking KVH too.

here is the full draft...not much in it behond Duncan, Chauncy and McGrady

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_NBA_Draft
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    picks 2 & 6...

duh...i was gonna say something about them not taking KVH too.

here is the full draft...not much in it behond Duncan, Chauncy and McGrady

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_NBA_Draft

bad draft. i forgot tony batie was taken so high :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    kids always have the right perspective

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2012/0 ... y/related/
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    norm wrote:

Cool story.
    (Not sure about the #1 fan part :D but I think it is very cool that the kid could sympathize with Kyle Williams and would reach out like that.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    norm wrote:

Cool story.
    (Not sure about the #1 fan part :D but I think it is very cool that the kid could sympathize with Kyle Williams and would reach out like that.)

Meanwhile, I'm so old and cynical, I read that and thought, "I bet the father made him do it hoping to score free tickets or something."
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Chad Ochocinco - your Super Bowl XLVI MVP :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

heard gronkowski on the radio this morning say he has an app called ihuddle where he watches film on his ipad all the time. thought that was pretty cool.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    imalive wrote:

heard gronkowski on the radio this morning say he has an app called ihuddle where he watches film on his ipad all the time. thought that was pretty cool.
    you're so used to quoting shit in your phillies thread....you do it when it doesn't even make sense :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

you're so used to quoting shit in your phillies thread....you do it when it doesn't even make sense :lol:

i have to use the bathroom.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    imalive wrote:

i have to use the bathroom.

should be quick....since you're wearing only socks.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    so if the pats win and brady plays well..........is he the best ever? i think i am still leaning towards montana but a case can absolutley be made for both.

also, the more i think about this game, the more i like the pats to win convincingly. seems like the whole world is on the giants...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    so if the pats win and brady plays well..........is he the best ever? i think i am still leaning towards montana but a case can absolutley be made for both.

No, titles aren't everything. As a QB, give me Peyton. If he had the coaching and d that Brady has had for most of his career who knows how many titles he'd have. Look what the Colts did w/o Manning, look what the Pats did w/o Brady.

I'm sure there are others too.
    DewieCox wrote:

No, titles aren't everything. As a QB, give me Peyton. If he had the coaching and d that Brady has had for most of his career who knows how many titles he'd have. Look what the Colts did w/o Manning, look what the Pats did w/o Brady.

I'm sure there are others too.

the whole "look what they did without peyton/brady thing" is an irrelevant point in my opinion. that pats team was coming off a 16-0 super bowl season with most of the roster intact and had a competant backup. the colts wouldn't have won more than 7 or 8 games with peyton this year. the fact that they are going to rebuild that whole team shows you their run had come to an end.

championships are not everything, agreed. but what is peyton's playoff record?

brady has had better defenses...but he's also had fewer offensive weapons than peyton manning for most of his career.

give me brady over manning any day of the week.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    the whole "look what they did without peyton/brady thing" is an irrelevant point in my opinion. that pats team was coming off a 16-0 super bowl season with most of the roster intact and had a competant backup. the colts wouldn't have won more than 7 or 8 games with peyton this year. the fact that they are going to rebuild that whole team shows you their run had come to an end.

brady has had better defenses...but he's also had fewer offensive weapons than peyton manning for most of his career.

The Colts were bringing back virtually the same team as last year, just like the Pats were in 08. And the Colts had time to prepare unlike the Pats.

I think playoff record is basically the same as looking at championships. There were few years where the Colts actually had the best team and they got beat. Lack of a run game and run defense is gonna get you in the playoffs 9/10x. Of course he's not gonna rack up 2 or 3 playoff wins unless he goes to the SB.

I don't think Brady has had as many high profile weapons, but he's always had as many, especially in recent years. Manning never had anybody as good as Moss, Harrison included. When was the last time the Colts had a decent running game?
    DewieCox wrote:

The Colts were bringing back virtually the same team as last year, just like the Pats were in 08. And the Colts had time to prepare unlike the Pats.

I think playoff record is basically the same as looking at championships. There were few years where the Colts actually had the best team and they got beat. Lack of a run game and run defense is gonna get you in the playoffs 9/10x. Of course he's not gonna rack up 2 or 3 playoff wins unless he goes to the SB.

I don't think Brady has had as many high profile weapons, but he's always had as many, especially in recent years. Manning never had anybody as good as Moss, Harrison included. When was the last time the Colts had a decent running game?

why did the coach and gm get fired? why are they dismantling the whole team? if this years colts team was on par with the '10 team, these guys wouldn't have lost their jobs and they would be talking about making some more runs with peyton and trading down from the first pick to get more pieces to reload, not rebuild. i really disagree with you. i did not think any aspect of that colts team was particularly good this year.

disagree completely with your thinking on playoff performance not making a qb great or not too. he's 9-10 in the playoffs including quite a few home losses where his team was favored.

brady only played with moss for 2 seasons. in fact, this year's patriots have been compare to many of the these colts teams of the last decade with the below average defense and not so strong running game...and they're 3 point favorites in the super bowl.

peyton's one of the best to ever play the game but if i'm building a team, i will take tom brady and a few other alltimer's over him. no doubt.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    i'd take Cool Joe over any QB from any era.

could you win with brady, manning, johnny U, bradshaw, aikman, young, marino? sure....but i'd still take Joe.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    DewieCox wrote:
    Marvin Harrison is 1000X better then Moss could ever be in the Colt's offense. Moss is (really) good for only a few types of routes while Harrison could do it all.

Plus, you have to look at the efficiency of each player. When Moss gets angry at someone, he will just drag them alongside his car ... Marvin will shoot the motherfucker. 8-)
    81 wrote:
    i'd take Cool Joe over any QB from any era.

could you win with brady, manning, johnny U, bradshaw, aikman, young, marino? sure....but i'd still take Joe.

correct
    why did the coach and gm get fired? why are they dismantling the whole team? if this years colts team was on par with the '10 team, these guys wouldn't have lost their jobs and they would be talking about making some more runs with peyton and trading down from the first pick to get more pieces to reload, not rebuild. i really disagree with you. i did not think any aspect of that colts team was particularly good this year.
    That argument actually works in favor of Dewie. The 2011 team was almost exactly the same as the 2010 team. One key ingredient missing exposed the weakness of all and everyone.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I just have one thing to add to this conversation

BIG BLUE
    edited February 2012

disagree completely with your thinking on playoff performance not making a qb great or not too. he's 9-10 in the playoffs including quite a few home losses where his team was favored.

brady only played with moss for 2 seasons. in fact, this year's patriots have been compare to many of the these colts teams of the last decade with the below average defense and not so strong running game...and they're 3 point favorites in the super bowl.

peyton's one of the best to ever play the game but if i'm building a team, i will take tom brady and a few other alltimer's over him. no doubt.

Manning is aging. If you think the Pats would do something different in a similar circumstance you're fooling yourself. I think with any team you'd expect heads to roll after 2-14 season.

I never said the Colts were good at all this year, but it's virtually the same team Manning got 10 wins with last year, while missing his go to TE.

Agree to disagree on playoff performance meaning that much more. I'd compare the Patriots since the undefeated season to the Colts teams and they haven't won shit. You wanna point out that they're favored, I'll point out how ridiculous most analysts are saying it is.

As a Colts fan you'll never convince me otherwise. Brady's a badass no doubt, I just think he's benefited much more from better teams surrounding him.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    rick eisen just interviewed madonna

the nfl has jumped the shark
  • so if the pats win and brady plays well..........is he the best ever? i think i am still leaning towards montana but a case can absolutley be made for both.

One case against Brady in debates about him vs. Montana is the margin of victory in Super Bowls wins. Brady's three Super Bowl wins were each by 3 points. And while there's nothing wrong with that at all, in a true "Brady vs. Montana" argument, I think it's worth noting how The 49ers dominated very good Miami and Denver teams in the Super Bowl. And the first win over Cincinnati (26-21) wasn't as close as the final score suggests. As for the second one against Cincinnati in 1988, Montana's game winning drive in that one easily trumps Brady's FG drives against St. Louis and Carolina. I'm nit-picking here. But ya kind of have to in order to compare QBs from totally different eras.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

One case against Brady in debates about him vs. Montana is the margin of victory in Super Bowls wins. Brady's three Super Bowl wins were each by 3 points. And while there's nothing wrong with that at all, in a true "Brady vs. Montana" argument, I think it's worth noting how The 49ers dominated very good Miami and Denver teams in the Super Bowl. And the first win over Cincinnati (26-21) wasn't as close as the final score suggests. As for the second one against Cincinnati in 1988, Montana's game winning drive in that one easily trumps Brady's FG drives against St. Louis and Carolina. I'm nit-picking here. But ya kind of have to in order to compare QBs from totally different eras.

Montana had Jerry Rice, John Taylor and Roger Craig.

When Brady won his superbowls he had Troy Brown, David Patten, Antowain Smith.

Food for thought.

Cases can be made for and against, the thing is, there is no right answer.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:

Montana had Jerry Rice, John Taylor and Roger Craig.

When Brady won his superbowls he had Troy Brown, David Patten, Antowain Smith.

Food for thought.

Cases can be made for and against, the thing is, there is no right answer.
    Yeah, but .....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlOiXBBv8AcLNyeMiWRZsjxCIz4bl8klfxLVQDJ05VeStAh3O7
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    I don't think anyone has had the Super Bowl played in their home stadium before. The closest, I think, was the 49ers in Palo Alto for SB XIX.

Here are the current odds for 2013.

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c191034 ... s/SB98.jpg

I can't wait for SB 59.... LIX :D

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)