The National Football League

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    imalive wrote:

There is no such thing as a "PED" in football. Those things only exist in baseball.
    Everyone in football is clean........

you're right. what was I thinking?? :? :shock:
    Anyone remember David Boston?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcAjraW2cStVSDFQ7R1gJvjzEIj7RlunmwxG0TdhPazz8xHKAixQ
  • pg2_e_capc_576.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Jason P wrote:
    Manning's response to Rob Lowe tweeting his retirement announcement:

“I never thought `Sodapop Curtis’ would announce my retirement,’’ Manning said, laughing, referring to Lowe’s character in the 1983 movie “The Outsiders.’’ “I always thought I would be the one to announce it. I’m a huge fan of the movie, but that caught me way off guard. I can’t explain it. I know he (Lowe) is a friend of Jim’s (Irsay), and Jim sounded surprised.’’

His future is in Jim Irsay's hands. The new GM will not be a factor according to Manning.

peyton manning is a funny dude.

i actually liked that papa johns commerical with him as the ref telling bettis "hey a man's gotta work" or something to that effect.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:
    imalive wrote:

There is no such thing as a "PED" in football. Those things only exist in baseball.
    Everyone in football is clean........

you're right. what was I thinking?? :? :shock:
    Anyone remember David Boston?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcAjraW2cStVSDFQ7R1gJvjzEIj7RlunmwxG0TdhPazz8xHKAixQ

Buckeyes....yup....i was pretty awesome in college....had one solid season, got hurt, and was never the same
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Another Patriots conspiracy theory to dwell on ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/why-billy-cundiff-rushed-fateful-field-goal-try-013101618.html

Apparantly the Raven's kicker has a routine he goes through that changes depending what down it is. The scoreboard operator changed the down from second to third and Cundiff was rushed. Could the Patriots possibly have known this?

Sounds like a far stretch ... but you can never rule anything out with New England/

:think:
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Jason P wrote:
    Another Patriots conspiracy theory to dwell on ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/why-billy-cundiff-rushed-fateful-field-goal-try-013101618.html

Apparantly the Raven's kicker has a routine he goes through that changes depending what down it is. The scoreboard operator changed the down from second to third and Cundiff was rushed. Could the Patriots possibly have known this?

Sounds like a far stretch ... but you can never rule anything out with New England/

:think:

Make the kick....there's NO issue there.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:

Make the kick....there's NO issue there.

Peace
    Still, it's hard to resist speculating on what the Sith is capable of.

8-)
    Jason P wrote:

wow...talk about a 180 change in philosophy.

i don't think peyton's coming back.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:

why not?

if he is healthy...i can see him going back...it's not like he really needs a HC with an offensive background...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Another 6 years of Goodell. Woohooo

Guaranteed to be the National Flag Football League by 2015 :lol:
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Another 6 years of Goodell. Woohooo

500full.jpg
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

why not?

if he is healthy...i can see him going back...it's not like he really needs a HC with an offensive background...

I'm not sure he's coming back, but this makes me lean more towards him coming back than anything else that's come out about it.

I think all the statements about him leaving are getting blown way outta proportion.

I dig the move, having assumed they were gonna hire Tressel.
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

why not?

seems like they are gutting that team from the top down. new gm, new, defensive minded coach, totally new system. they're probably a few years from seriously contending again. peyton's owed a huge bonus in a month and they'll most likely draft andrew luck in april...think it makes sense for both sides to move on at this point.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    New York players, past and present, really need to avoid Inside The NFL interviews.

Last week, Tomlinson pretty much killed the Jets locker room and wasn't too kind to Sanchez.

... and right now I'm watching Lawrence Taylor do himself no good by answering questions about the underage prostitution charges he faced.

Oooof.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    Peyton Manning's Future

The biggest issue is that we will not know Manning's health status by March 8th, which is when the Colts have to pay a $28M bonus option if he is still on the roster. That $28M will have consequence over the next four years on the salary cap whether or not Peyton ever plays another down. That is a big risk.

Based on Cam Newtons contract, Andrew Luck will have around a $4.5M hit to next years cap. Peyton's base salary of $7.5M along with bonuses brings his salary cap for 2012 to around $17M. So the Colts would have have around $21M locked up in the QB position (note: even if they release Manning prior to March 8th, his current bonuses due will still have a $10M hit on the Colts in 2012).

So releasing him will still have around $14M salary cap hit for the Colts in 2012. But, they won't have an additional $7M hitting the cap for each of the next four years.

So every Colts fan's dream is that Manning will play 1-2 more years while mentoring Luck (and believe you me, I would love for that to happen). But the Colts would still have a $7M cap hit after he retires until 2016. And Luck is not sitting on the bench for four years. If Manning plays out the entire remainder of his contract and Luck is sitting on the bench, that means the Colts are paying a #1 overall draft-pick to sit on the bench and he will be a free agent.

Jim Irsay has stated they are taking a QB with the number one pick. Does it make sense to pay someone $28M to mentor a number 1 pick for a year? With the info I have outlined above and using pragmatic logic and common sense, Peyton Manning will be released prior to March 7th, 2012.

I shall now go light myself on fire and jump into uncoming traffic. :cry:
    Jason P wrote:
    Peyton Manning's Future

The biggest issue is that we will not know Manning's health status by March 8th, which is when the Colts have to pay a $28M bonus option if he is still on the roster. That $28M will have consequence over the next four years on the salary cap whether or not Peyton ever plays another down. That is a big risk.

Based on Cam Newtons contract, Andrew Luck will have around a $4.5M hit to next years cap. Peyton's base salary of $7.5M along with bonuses brings his salary cap for 2012 to around $17M. So the Colts would have have around $21M locked up in the QB position (note: even if they release Manning prior to March 8th, his current bonuses due will still have a $10M hit on the Colts in 2012).

So releasing him will still have around $14M salary cap hit for the Colts in 2012. But, they won't have an additional $7M hitting the cap for each of the next four years.

So every Colts fan's dream is that Manning will play 1-2 more years while mentoring Luck (and believe you me, I would love for that to happen). But the Colts would still have a $7M cap hit after he retires until 2016. And Luck is not sitting on the bench for four years. If Manning plays out the entire remainder of his contract and Luck is sitting on the bench, that means the Colts are paying a #1 overall draft-pick to sit on the bench and he will be a free agent.

Jim Irsay has stated they are taking a QB with the number one pick. Does it make sense to pay someone $28M to mentor a number 1 pick for a year? With the info I have outlined above and using pragmatic logic and common sense, Peyton Manning will be released prior to March 7th, 2012.

I shall now go light myself on fire and jump into uncoming traffic. :cry:

what if they redid his contract???
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

And push the date back for the bonus? You still carry the risk and will be making the #1 pick a backup for four years or take huge hits in the cap for four years.

This is a fucked-up scenario that I could have never envisioned ever happening as little as six months ago. I blame Curtis Painter. I had to watch that fucking idiot for four years at Purdue and now his incompetence has led to the Colts getting the #1 pick ... which may work out in the long run, but it would kill me to see Manning playing elsewhere. He is the reason the Colts are in Indy and not L.A. The entire state owes allegiance to him.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Shortly after introducing new coach Chuck Pagano on Thursday, Irsay said Manning should have kept his thoughts "in the family." When asked whether a decision on Manning was next, Irsay went into a long answer, calling Manning a "politician" and suggested he was "campaigning" publicly.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/2 ... lp00000003

i think we've seen the last of peyton in indy
    norm wrote:
    Shortly after introducing new coach Chuck Pagano on Thursday, Irsay said Manning should have kept his thoughts "in the family." When asked whether a decision on Manning was next, Irsay went into a long answer, calling Manning a "politician" and suggested he was "campaigning" publicly.

How many fans will Indy lose?
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:

none. they'll draft luck and they'll be fired up about that just like they were when they drafted manning back in the day.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    bucs gonna sign schiano huh?

from rutgers to the nfl...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    none. they'll draft luck and they'll be fired up about that just like they were when they drafted manning back in the day.

yep

this reminds me of the spurs...the admiral goes down and is out for the season, the spurs tank and get #1 pick which turns out to be tim duncan
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:

And push the date back for the bonus? You still carry the risk and will be making the #1 pick a backup for four years or take huge hits in the cap for four years.

This is a fucked-up scenario that I could have never envisioned ever happening as little as six months ago. I blame Curtis Painter. I had to watch that fucking idiot for four years at Purdue and now his incompetence has led to the Colts getting the #1 pick ... which may work out in the long run, but it would kill me to see Manning playing elsewhere. He is the reason the Colts are in Indy and not L.A. The entire state owes allegiance to him.

:lol:
    I love football fans! Blame the shit-ball qb who should not be on any roster on any team. He should not have been on the roster at Purdue and he sucked total balls playing for Indy this year. Fault? The team. But I love the fan perspective to blame the player and get a laugh/feel better that way. (This is the type of logic I might take as well!)
    Truly is a shame -- I (like all 49ers fans) had to watch Joe Montana put on a Chiefs jersey. Ugghghhhh, I still want to throw up in my mouth.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

:lol:
    I love football fans! Blame the shit-ball qb who should not be on any roster on any team. He should not have been on the roster at Purdue and he sucked total balls playing for Indy this year. Fault? The team. But I love the fan perspective to blame the player and get a laugh/feel better that way. (This is the type of logic I might take as well!)
    Truly is a shame -- I (like all 49ers fans) had to watch Joe Montana put on a Chiefs jersey. Ugghghhhh, I still want to throw up in my mouth.
    Painter has all the tangibles to be a great QB. But I watched him play enough games in college that I knew he would not make it in the NFL when he couldn't handle the Big Ten.

I remember being at a friend's house when the draft was on and Indy had the next pick. NFL network put up the "Top 10 Still On The Board" and Painter was listed around 5th. I jokingly told my buddy, "I feel bad for the poor shlubs that draft him". Seconds later they announce the Colts select Curtis Painter and I let out a "Nooooooooo!!!!". Little did I know ...

I know it is a little silly to blame just one player ... but ... Curtis Painter was 0 - 8 as a starter and he kept getting worse after each game he played. Dan Orlovsky was cut after training camp and sent to the practice squad. After he took over as starter, he went 2 - 3 (beating a playoff bound Houston Texans to boot while losing to the Steelers and Pats ... and the Jags) and almost cost the Colts the first overall pick by almost leading them to a 3 game winning streak to end the season (which probably would have caused my head to explode in utter confusion).

If Curtis Painter was cut in training camp, would Dan Orlovsky have won one of those eight games? We will never know. But my guess is that he would have had a great chance. I don't think the Colts would have been much better, but my guess is that they would be picking between 4 - 9 in the draft instead of number one.

Getting the number one pick has forced Irsay's hand to blow up the current system. All that Indy fans have know has / will drastically change. I don't think Irsay would have done this if they went 5 -11. But now they have a chance to get one of the most coveted draft picks since ... well, since Peyton Manning.

I just hope the future works out ...
    Newch91 wrote:
    If any, fuk 'em.

Manning took Indiana from a basketball state to a football state. The transformation has been amazing. As long as the Colts organization continues to run with pride and virtue (basically the complete opposite of the Indiana Pacers over the last decade), the fans will stay loyal.

Now, if it gets to the point where players are running into the stand creating mass brawls ... or getting run over by cars purposely in the parking lot of a strip club at 2 am while firing their Glock 9 mm's into the air ... well, then the Colts may start losing some fans. :ugeek:
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    bucs gonna sign schiano huh?

from rutgers to the nfl...

this has got to be the most baffling hire by an NFL outside of the Raiders ever. this guy was mediocre at Rutgers. One game over .500 with one big season what 4 years ago and somehow parlays that to a head NFL coaching job? utterly baffling.
    norm wrote:

yep

this reminds me of the spurs...the admiral goes down and is out for the season, the spurs tank and get #1 pick which turns out to be tim duncan

i'll thank you never to bring that up again.

my sixers had the 2nd pick that year. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    norm wrote:

yep

......and they were able to get Tim duncan over the Celtics who had 2 picks in the top 5 and STILL didn't snag him. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)