Options

This is a real blood boiler...

ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
edited November 2011 in A Moving Train
I've seen a lot of shit that's pissed me off in life, but very few things have made me this angry... :evil: :evil:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/disabled-teens-beating-judge-william-adams_n_1071822.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing5%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%7C109520
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I heard the audio from that tape this morning and it was horrendous to listen to. I don't think I could actually watch it. It takes a special kind of garbage to treat someone else that way.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Good for her for standing up to this peice of shit. I hope hell rains down on him for it, that's ridiculous.
  • Options
    As if his behavior in the video wasn't bad enough, the quote he gave a local TV reporter is evidence that this guy hasn't changed at all since that incident:
    Corpus Christi television station KZTV caught up with the judge while he was getting into his vehicle Wednesday, and he confirmed it was him in the video. But he said it "looks worse than it is" and that he doesn't expect to be disciplined.

"In my mind, I haven't done anything wrong other than discipline my child after she was caught stealing," Adams said. "And I did lose my temper, but I've since apologized."

Seriously? I wonder if he ever accepted that defense from any of the accused child abusers in his court room. Something tells me he didn't. I'm glad the police have opened an investigation into this. He'll be a very popular guy in jail.
  • Options
    Something tells me it is gonna come back on him 10 fold!!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    He'll be a very popular guy in jail.
    Hopefully he gets to share a bunk with Grossberger.

quiz182.jpg
  • Options
    This video is terrible.

I will tell you this - the poor daughter is being played by the mom here. At the end of her interview on NBC, she (mom) reveals the true reason this video surfaced now - father wanted to change terms of custody of younger daughter. Mom got scared, older daughter revealed she had this and Mom decided - I can spin my part if I go with you. If we go public, we "win." Unfortunately, the older daughter still loses.

I mean - the poor girls says she thinks her dad doesn't understand how the internet works. :?

The story for this girl is even worse than the video appears. I feel very sorry for her that her mother continues to use her as a pawn in her divorce. Terrible.

This should have surfaced years ago. At this point, it doesn't really serve any purpose. She's not saying it continued for years. She's not saying her sister faced the same thing. It's past the statue of limitations. And, yes, he should be revealed for what he is. But, i know I have been hit with a belt as a kid. Not like that, but still. And I love my parents, and don't really think much of that. I don't do that to my own kids. But, even if I had a video, I can't think of the scenario where 7 years later I would have wanted to reveal it. I am not excusing it in the least. But, it is what it is.

The mother brings up an addiction, but doesn't reveal what. There will be another side to this story, which really won't help the dad look any better (nor should it). But, I'm just as sure it's not going to help the girl get through this. The mom should be getting as much, if not more, scorn than the dad. At least he admitted his part (even if he's trying to soften it). The mom is still blaming someone else for her part. And, again, the poor girl lives through it (though, did you also catch where she says she laughs at it? She caught herself. But, I thought that was telling, as well).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Actually, she did say, "It did happen regularly for some time." You can tell that this was not a one-time incident by the way he and his wife were yelling at her, the fact that he tells her that it's her fault and that she used to be obedient, and the excessively violent way he continues the beating. This girl didn't just have that camera recording her room for no reason. She had that set up so she could capture evidence of his abuse.
    This video is terrible.

I will tell you this - the poor daughter is being played by the mom here. At the end of her interview on NBC, she (mom) reveals the true reason this video surfaced now - father wanted to change terms of custody of younger daughter. Mom got scared, older daughter revealed she had this and Mom decided - I can spin my part if I go with you. If we go public, we "win." Unfortunately, the older daughter still loses.

I mean - the poor girls says she thinks her dad doesn't understand how the internet works. :?

The story for this girl is even worse than the video appears. I feel very sorry for her that her mother continues to use her as a pawn in her divorce. Terrible.

This should have surfaced years ago. At this point, it doesn't really serve any purpose. She's not saying it continued for years. She's not saying her sister faced the same thing. It's past the statue of limitations. And, yes, he should be revealed for what he is. But, i know I have been hit with a belt as a kid. Not like that, but still. And I love my parents, and don't really think much of that. I don't do that to my own kids. But, even if I had a video, I can't think of the scenario where 7 years later I would have wanted to reveal it. I am not excusing it in the least. But, it is what it is.

The mother brings up an addiction, but doesn't reveal what. There will be another side to this story, which really won't help the dad look any better (nor should it). But, I'm just as sure it's not going to help the girl get through this. The mom should be getting as much, if not more, scorn than the dad. At least he admitted his part (even if he's trying to soften it). The mom is still blaming someone else for her part. And, again, the poor girl lives through it (though, did you also catch where she says she laughs at it? She caught herself. But, I thought that was telling, as well).
  • Options
    Actually, she did say, "It did happen regularly for some time." You can tell that this was not a one-time incident by the way he and his wife were yelling at her, the fact that he tells her that it's her fault and that she used to be obedient, and the excessively violent way he continues the beating. This girl didn't just have that camera recording her room for no reason. She had that set up so she could capture evidence of his abuse.

Absolutely. I don't mean to minimize it. It's bad. It happened for some unspecified amount of time - more than 1, but less than a lifetime.

But - the mother is just as cupable. And the daughter sitting with her makes it all the more curious. There's something more to this (again, not shoving aside or making less what the dad did).

But if she was doing it to "capture evidence," why not until now?
  • Options
    I watched that entire video earlier today, and it was very hard to sit through.

And the asshole doesn't think he did anything wrong. He'll escape any charges because of the statute of limitations, but hopefully he gets disbarred.

And yes, there has to be more to this family's story than what is currently out there.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    Man i don't think i could contain my self if i lived next to someone like this guy somehow some where i would def get into a fight with him , i would kick hi's garbage pail over every week or run it over , knock his mail box out, throw all my dogs crap over hi's fence all by acccident offcourse :lol: somehow i would make this asshole move away from me :x
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Okay... I'm prepared to take on some flak for this... and i'm ready...
    But...
    Seriously... who are we to judge another family on how to raise their kids? I mean, sure, we can completely agree or disagree on the issue of corporal punishment and bring research findings to bear in order to support our views. But, in the bigger picture... is it our part... as a society... to rule on how parents discipline their kids?
    Also, it appears to me that there is all sorts of internal family sub-text that we aren't hearing about. The video shows a horrible display of parental discipline... but, I cast a jaundice eye to it being the complete story. It is a sad statement on America when the Internet and television alone, form our opinions.
    Now, it would be a completely different story if the girl had been chained to a radiator and beated in the face by his fists for no reason at all... but, it seems to fall in line with American child rearing. The belt to the butt is as American as Apple Pie, the Death Penalty and our irrational fear of the metric system.
    Now, I'm not saying it's okay... or that he did nothing wrong. I would never do something like that to my kid... if I had kids. But, just because i don't... doesn't mean he cannot.
    The bottom line. She stole... she got punished for it in the manner that her parents doled it out. And... she might have even gotten off easy... He's a Judge... in Texas. They execute people for boosting a Snickers bar from a liquor store down there.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    that was a waaaay over the top though. profanity laced tirade that escalted too far.

MoM: "bend over and take it like woman". c'mon.

We have laws to protect children against abuse and to me that looked like horrible physical and mental abuse.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Cosmo wrote:
    But...
    Seriously... who are we to judge another family on how to raise their kids? I mean, sure, we can completely agree or disagree on the issue of corporal punishment and bring research findings to bear in order to support our views. But, in the bigger picture... is it our part... as a society... to rule on how parents discipline their kids?
    Also, it appears to me that there is all sorts of internal family sub-text that we aren't hearing about. The video shows a horrible display of parental discipline... but, I cast a jaundice eye to it being the complete story. It is a sad statement on America when the Internet and television alone, form our opinions.
    Now, it would be a completely different story if the girl had been chained to a radiator and beated in the face by his fists for no reason at all... but, it seems to fall in line with American child rearing. The belt to the butt is as American as Apple Pie, the Death Penalty and our irrational fear of the metric system.
    Now, I'm not saying it's okay... or that he did nothing wrong. I would never do something like that to my kid... if I had kids. But, just because i don't... doesn't mean he cannot.
    The bottom line. She stole... she got punished for it in the manner that her parents doled it out. And... she might have even gotten off easy... He's a Judge... in Texas. They execute people for boosting a Snickers bar from a liquor store down there.

cosmo.. he beat his daughter. what i saw was way beyond discipline... which yes he does have a right to administer. what he doesnt have a right to do is beat his child.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    nsepstrunsepstru Posts: 187
    Cosmo wrote:
    But...
    Of course there is more to the story than we know...HOWEVER there is a big difference between corporal punishment and flat out assaulting someone. If you did this to another person let alone a minor you'd be picked up immediately. Just because he is her father does not mean it's not assault...
    I'm not human...I'm Danish!
  • Options
    This guy needs to be part of OCCUPY OAKLAND!
    Theres no time like the present

A man that stands for nothing....will fall for anything!

All people need to do more on every level!
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    Actually, I appreciate Cosmo's candor.

My parents never laid a hand on me and I had no discipline problems...I am not supportive of physical punishment (Then again, having no kids sort of invalidates my opinion in the eyes of most)

But back to Cosmo's candor. If I had a nickel for everyone that ever talked to me about how good corporal punishment is and how "my dad took out the belt from time to time and I am thankful; fear is why I turned out as great as I did." Where are these people now? These people that defend "taking off the belt" essentially defend this, but when it's on tape they decry it. I have not posted on this board lately, but I am sure there is a corporal punishment thread on here in which the majority defend it. It's a tough line to draw...if you support it, how is this too much? Where's the line?

I suppose most will say this is worse than they would support. Maybe so. I'm just uncomfortable with physical punishment.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    nsepstrunsepstru Posts: 187
    OnWis97 wrote:
    Actually, I appreciate Cosmo's candor.

My parents never laid a hand on me and I had no discipline problems...I am not supportive of physical punishment (Then again, having no kids sort of invalidates my opinion in the eyes of most)

But back to Cosmo's candor. If I had a nickel for everyone that ever talked to me about how good corporal punishment is and how "my dad took out the belt from time to time and I am thankful; fear is why I turned out as great as I did." Where are these people now? These people that defend "taking off the belt" essentially defend this, but when it's on tape they decry it. I have not posted on this board lately, but I am sure there is a corporal punishment thread on here in which the majority defend it. It's a tough line to draw...if you support it, how is this too much? Where's the line?

I suppose most will say this is worse than they would support. Maybe so. I'm just uncomfortable with physical punishment.

I was spanked, never with a belt or anything. And my dad would give me a good smack on the head from time to time. But he never did anything that actually HURT me. It is possible to use some easy corporal punishment without BEATING a kid. It worked and I think it was the right thing to do, it let me know he was serious and to stop what I was doing without being physically hurt or emotionally scarred from and actual beating...

I'm gonna steal a quote from the West Wing that I think suits this well. It's actually referring to something far more serious than "stealing" using illegal download sites but seems pretty fitting:

FEDRIGOTTI
    Josh, you're in a restaurant...
    And there's a little girl who is really misbehaving. She runs around, she's
    throwing food.
    The father decides to punish her right there by cracking the wine bottle
    over her head,
    throwing her to the ground, and kicking her repeatedly. You sit at the next
    table. What do you do?

JOSH
    The kid wasn't throwing food.

FEDRIGOTTI
    Is there a crime that girl could commit, that would have justified what the
    father did?
    I'm not human...I'm Danish!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    There's gotta be a special place in hell for people who treat children this way. I hope the girls gets good counseling and much love in her future.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    Cosmo wrote:
    But...

You just answered your own ?? the answer is right there ...

Quote : If i had Kids ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The DA says that the statute of limitations has expired for any possible crimes committed in that video but the guy is still facing judicial review and could lose his job. Even if he doesn't, he's an elected judge and he'll lose the next election. Also, now that the DA has said they can't prosecute him, the police are looking into the possibility that he could be brought up on federal charges.

Also, FU to this piece of trash for trying to degrade his daughter in public now by acting like she only released the video because he told her to return the car he gave her as if that makes his actions on the tape any better. It's clear that the mental and verbal abuse has continued even if the beatings stopped.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Cosmo wrote:
    But...

I would say that yes, it is our part to rule on how parents discipline their kids. We have laws that make it illegal to physically assault someone, and that's what the dad's doing to the child. It doesn't matter if it's in their house or the guy grabbed someone on the street and whipped them with a belt. It's different from state to state on the laws around it, but where I am, if the parent leaves a mark on the kid, it's reportable as abuse. There really isn't a big difference between assault and corporal punishment. I guess if a parent wants to hit their kid, they can swat them on the butt when they're wearing pants. Parents hit their kids as an outlet to their own anger, not to create behavior change, but of course that's what they use to justify it.
  • Options
    Go Beavers wrote:

Parents hit their kids as an outlet to their own anger, not to create behavior change, but of course that's what they use to justify it.

Guessing you don't have kids. Yes, parents are obviously angry when they get to that point. But, if that's what you think, you don't have kids.

This has nothing to do with the video. That is beyond any of this discussion. But, your simplistic comment needed to be called out.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    Go Beavers wrote:

Parents hit their kids as an outlet to their own anger, not to create behavior change, but of course that's what they use to justify it.

Guessing you don't have kids. Yes, parents are obviously angry when they get to that point. But, if that's what you think, you don't have kids.

This has nothing to do with the video. That is beyond any of this discussion. But, your simplistic comment needed to be called out.
    Edson, I wish I could totally agree with you here. I'm guessing you are a parent and a good one at that. Unfortunately, I've known a few parents who did just just what Go Beavers said, hit their kids as an outlet for their anger, not to create behavior change but used that as justification. Fortunately, most parents aren't like that, but sadly some are.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    nsepstru wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    But...
    Of course there is more to the story than we know...HOWEVER there is a big difference between corporal punishment and flat out assaulting someone. If you did this to another person let alone a minor you'd be picked up immediately. Just because he is her father does not mean it's not assault...

All of the potential psychological harm to the kids aside, this right here is the crux of it for me. It kind of reminds me of the old way of thinking where it was basically legal for a man to rape his wife. Somehow that was viewed as ok...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Go Beavers wrote:

I tend to agree with Beavers, and I have kids. Mine aren't teenagers yet, so I can't speak to that, but there are times where my kids get me past the point of frustration to the point of anger. It would be easy to last out at them physically, and probably, in that instant, would be an outlet for anger. But there is a part in our brains that stop most people from doing that.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I guess the daughter shouldn't have downloaded that song.

Spank your children daily- if you don't know why, I'm sure they do.
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    I certainly am not in the camp that says you need to be a parent in order to comment on parenting...I mean, most of us aren't the president but we comment on him just the same, most of us aren't quarterbacks but many of us comment on their play...

That being said, while i see this video as excessive punishment and not something I would support in any manor, I do believe that corporal punishment has a place in child rearing. I don't ever want to have to spank my daughter, as you can see
    >
    I just put her in a cage anyway :lol::lol: (just kidding in case anyone is hyper sensitive)

But when I was spanked as a child it was never in the moment and it was never done in anger. That is where the difference lies with me. If you do it in anger it isn't for the kid.

The thing that makes this punishment abuse rather than simple parental spanking, is the tone and anger with which it was delivered. Growing up I had my share of spankings with a stick from the bottom of the old pull down shades, and I deserved every one of them. The benefit I had was a parent who came in, sat me down, and explained to me why my actions deserved this and never did the spanking out of anger.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    I certainly am not in the camp that says you need to be a parent in order to comment on parenting...I mean, most of us aren't the president but we comment on him just the same, most of us aren't quarterbacks but many of us comment on their play...

That being said, while i see this video as excessive punishment and not something I would support in any manor, I do believe that corporal punishment has a place in child rearing. I don't ever want to have to spank my daughter, as you can see
    >
    I just put her in a cage anyway :lol::lol: (just kidding in case anyone is hyper sensitive)

But when I was spanked as a child it was never in the moment and it was never done in anger. That is where the difference lies with me. If you do it in anger it isn't for the kid.

The thing that makes this punishment abuse rather than simple parental spanking, is the tone and anger with which it was delivered. Growing up I had my share of spankings with a stick from the bottom of the old pull down shades, and I deserved every one of them. The benefit I had was a parent who came in, sat me down, and explained to me why my actions deserved this and never did the spanking out of anger.

I occasionally got the wooden spoon as a kid, but I can't remember any specifics of how or why it happened... But, as far as your post, I just don't understand that approach either... I just can't picture sitting my kid down, calmly telling him why his actions were wrong, and that he somehow deserves me smacking him with something and then hitting him.

Looking back on my childhood, like I said, I got the wooden spoon once in a while... The only thing I remember was that it was my mother smacking me. But as a teenager (or even in my adult life), I don't remember ever fearing facing her when I did something stupid. I don't remember my dad every hitting me or being mean to me, but the one consequence I always feared was letting him down or disappointing him with what I did.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Go Beavers wrote:

Maybe you could fill in the leap between what I said and your conclusion that I don't have kids.

If you think it's simplistic, that's fine with me. People don't behave violently from a space of peacefulness, logic, and forethought. You agree with me that parents are angry when they get to that point.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    Anyone who thinks this is corporal punishment needs to reevaluate exactly what they think that is. This is nothing but physical and emotional abuse. Spanking a kid is one thing, but cursing them, and hitting them all over their body with a belt with every ounce of strength you have is something totally different.