Options

Flipping v Buying to trade

2»

Comments

• Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Carey wrote:
    I was just wondering about this same concept. For example, I was able to buy a copy of Backspacer white vinyl and I intend to hang on to it! But, I am also the single mom of a 2 and 4 year old, and I can't exactly count on their father. So if it ever came down to making rent or feeding my kids, you'd better believe I would sell it. Hope I don't get kicked out for admitting it, but it's the honest truth. Would I feel badly about it? Absolutely. Would that keep me from doing it? Nope.

Taking care of family is always first and if anyone thinks differently they are fools.

Jim
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    everyone here on both sides have valid points but from seeing in another thread where people should be reported for selling something that is their's to do with? That's a little rough isn't it? Who are we to report someone for selling something that is their's? I mean if I want to sell mine, raffle it off to charity, or serve my kids breakfast on it, its up to me and no one else. I bought it. If I want to run my car off a cliff, i can because its mine, I bought it.

This is different in my opinion than the backpack. For the white vinyl, it never said "Not for resale" etc. I believe anyway. Anyway, that's my 2 cents and I will sit back and enjoy watching the great points from both sides carry on!
  • Options
    cojobocojobo Ontario Posts: 299
    In my opinion, I think as long as 10c limits their merchandise to 1 per member for the first week and then they open it up to multiples with any leftover stock that I have no problem. I think flipping only involves people who buy multiples to sell, so if we give a chance for those who want the item get one, then the flippers wont really have anyone to sell to (until years later when the item is rare again and people who weren't members want one - but that is impossible to control)

On that note, if we are really knit-picking, what about people who still have any sealed vinyl for sale - there is no way they were not intending on saving it to make a profit as they would have opened it and played it if it was bought to listen to. So should all sealed vinyl be banned from being sold on the forum? I doubt many people would agree to that. I would say people selling on here is much better than on eBay from a buyer's perspective.
    Halifax '05, Toronto '09, Toronto 2 '11, Hamilton '11, London '13, Chicago '13. Buffalo '13 , Leeds '14, Detroit '14, New York (GCF) '15, Ottawa '16, Toronto 1 '16, Toronto 2 '16
  • Options
    let's take my example for example. I bought all the EV goodies when Uke Songs came out, the vinyl, the cd, the deluxe book, all of it. All of it was because I wanted it. I had no idea what, if anything, would go up in value. These things are a crapshoot, and I've never bought PJ/EV merch for the purpose of making any profit anyway, so it didn't matter to me. I opened all of when I got it not caring if it would be worth anything later.

But, then I saw that the deluxe songbook was going for insane prices on eBay. I didn't know why, I didn't realize it was so limited. I guess I was lucky to get one. Then I thought, "if they are worth that much, maybe I could trade it for a vinyl I can't afford, like Lost Dogs or LO2L". This was a while after I bought the songbook, but not No Code long, obviously, it came out this summer. I realized I'd rather have some good vinyl than a book. So I started a thread to trade it. No bites, but I still did it, not thinking it was flipping. Although, I did put a disclaimer in the first post that if anyone thought I was flipping, I'd gladly take it down. No one saw it that way, I guess.

My original intention was to keep the book, but then the value rose, and I saw an opportunity to upgrade my vinyl collection with ones that won't be reissued, which I can't afford. Is that wrong?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    cojobo wrote:
    In my opinion, I think as long as 10c limits their merchandise to 1 per member for the first week and then they open it up to multiples with any leftover stock that I have no problem.

this is exactly what I thought of after this all went down too. I think it would be a great way to do things.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    let's take my example for example. I bought all the EV goodies when Uke Songs came out, the vinyl, the cd, the deluxe book, all of it. All of it was because I wanted it. I had no idea what, if anything, would go up in value. These things are a crapshoot, and I've never bought PJ/EV merch for the purpose of making any profit anyway, so it didn't matter to me. I opened all of when I got it not caring if it would be worth anything later.

But, then I saw that the deluxe songbook was going for insane prices on eBay. I didn't know why, I didn't realize it was so limited. I guess I was lucky to get one. Then I thought, "if they are worth that much, maybe I could trade it for a vinyl I can't afford, like Lost Dogs or LO2L". This was a while after I bought the songbook, but not No Code long, obviously, it came out this summer. I realized I'd rather have some good vinyl than a book. So I started a thread to trade it. No bites, but I still did it, not thinking it was flipping. Although, I did put a disclaimer in the first post that if anyone thought I was flipping, I'd gladly take it down. No one saw it that way, I guess.

My original intention was to keep the book, but then the value rose, and I saw an opportunity to upgrade my vinyl collection with ones that won't be reissued, which I can't afford. Is that wrong?

In my opinion, this is far from flipping. You bought the item, got it home, looked at it and decided that you would rather have something else. Its not like you ordered it and then immediately put it up for trade once it was out of stock in the Goods section.
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    Reading all the opinions on here I think the main points are this. Flipping sucks, end of. Buying for trade is a little more complicated. I think to trade something that you haven't even got in the post yet suggests you had no intention of doing anything other than that. This I disagree with and see as bad as flipping. Trading something you have had, opened etc etc is OK. This is your right as the owner of the product, fair do's.

There have been some comments about people (like me) being Jealous or throwing the toys out the pram because of the White Vinyl issue. Personally I take it as an insult that someone buys something, then puts it up for trade before its even been shipped. Its basically putting up one finger to me and saying "fuck you". So I for one, will always see that as a bad thing to do to the other members on this board who buy things because they want to own something. There are, believe it or not, people who want to own PJ merch and play it, or read it or even (god forbid!) stick on the wall!

What I will say is this. Next time anyone buys something with the sole purpose of trading it. The item is limited and sells out, there are then people upset as they didn't get one and they see them being traded. Perhaps the right thing to do would be to post it as For Sale.. for face.
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Mikee J wrote:
    Reading all the opinions on here I think the main points are this. Flipping sucks, end of. Buying for trade is a little more complicated. I think to trade something that you haven't even got in the post yet suggests you had no intention of doing anything other than that. This I disagree with and see as bad as flipping. Trading something you have had, opened etc etc is OK. This is your right as the owner of the product, fair do's.

There have been some comments about people (like me) being Jealous or throwing the toys out the pram because of the White Vinyl issue. Personally I take it as an insult that someone buys something, then puts it up for trade before its even been shipped. Its basically putting up one finger to me and saying "fuck you". So I for one, will always see that as a bad thing to do to the other members on this board who buy things because they want to own something. There are, believe it or not, people who want to own PJ merch and play it, or read it or even (god forbid!) stick on the wall!

What I will say is this. Next time anyone buys something with the sole purpose of trading it. The item is limited and sells out, there are then people upset as they didn't get one and they see them being traded. Perhaps the right thing to do would be to post it as For Sale.. for face.
    was time for me to say...

WELL SAID...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    found a flipper....

auction link removed by Admin

go get him boys :lol:

its sealed too....intention?
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    Wasn't aware these had just sold out from the goods section.
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    No but it did 8 years ago and surely hes kept the wrapper on for this sole reason depriving some other person of it whom desperately wanted to play it ;)
  • Options
    BergfallBergfall Posts: 115
    We're going completely mad.....that pretty ugly backpack everyone has seemed to gotten themselves trapped in, are going for what must be oxygen-depriving sums...over 300 bucks with minutes to go,
    and it was for sale here or at some stand just days ago?

Regarding the other one of late, the white Backspacer.....whitest thing about it, is the upper-class income level home it will collect dust in....

Just to be a complete douche, I cough and point to that link up right....Activism.....what PJ fan would rather buy a backpack, than spread the jam to some charity, how about loaning through Kiva...oh wait....what.....the
    link is dead.

Pearl Jam's activism is "under construction", ours is "leather spandex"
  • Options
    BergfallBergfall Posts: 115
    So sorry for killing the discussion. Please disregard self-absorbed whining in last post, not right arena, I apologize.