Options

*** EV Tour - Santa Barbara Fanviews Here 07/9/11 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,924
edited February 2012 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Santa Barbara Bowl - Santa Barbara, CA
July 09, 2011

Set List
01. Can't Keep
02. Sleeping By Myself
03. Without You
04. More Than You Know-(Rose, Eliscu, Youmans)
05. Goodbye
06. Longing To Belong w/Rudy Stein playing cello
07. Wishlist
08. Off He Goes
09. Hurt-(Trent Reznor)
10. I Am Mine
11. Santa Cruz
12. Guaranteed
13. Rise
14. Needle And The Damage Done
15. Lukin w/string quartet (fast version)
16. Just Breathe w/string quartet
17. The End w/string quartet
18. Unthought Known
19. Parting Ways

Encore Break 1
20. Redemption Song-(Bob Marley)
21. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
22. Sleepless Nights w/Glen Hansard-(Boudleaux Bryant, Felice Bryant)
23. Society w/Glen Hansard-(Jerry Hannan)
24. Falling Slowly w/string quartet {Glen singing and playing acoustic, Eddie duet vocal}-(Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová)
25. Porch

Encore Break 2
26. Hard Sun w/Glen Hansard-(Peterson)
27. Dream A Little Dream-(Gus Kahn, Wilbur Schwandt, Fabian Andree)

Suzie Katayama: String contractor & quartet music consultant
String quartet members
Sara Parkins-Violin 1
Josefina Vergara-Violin 2
Alma Fernandez-Viola
Rudy Stein-Cello

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)

P.S.
Glen Hansard Set List
01. Buzzin' Fly-(Tim Buckley)
02. Leave
03. Low Rising
04. Love Don't Leave Me Waiting
05. Astral Weeks-(Van Morrison)
06. Song Of Good Hope
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Crazy MarcusCrazy Marcus Posts: 1,823
    Santa Barbara, CA - poster:
    SBEMEK.jpg
    Poster Artist: EMEK
  • Options
    thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    Woa he did Hurt. How was it?

And Redemption Song. Wowza!
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    :mrgreen:;)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited July 2011
    thefin190 wrote:
    Woa he did Hurt. How was it?

And Redemption Song. Wowza!
    +1 Wow!
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    YossiYossi Posts: 8
    Randomly got front row center. Great seats, great show, great set list, great weather, great crowd, great venue. Just awesome. Came from NJ for the weekend...well worth it.
  • Options
    kmac1976kmac1976 Posts: 84
    edited July 2011
    Ten çlub seats were Section G(about half way up)...bumped up to front center, out of no where!! Thanks Ed!!

....amazing night. Highlighted by 'Of He Goes', Needle and The Damage Done, and Redemption Song!!

Ed seemed a bit rushed due to local curfew laws, but it was a night I will not forget anytime soon.
    Post edited by kmac1976 on
  • Options
    donjantzendonjantzen Houston Posts: 17
    Absolutely amazing show....once in a lifetime!
    Makes much more sense....to live... in the present tense...
  • Options
    namecidnamecid Posts: 24
    HURT?! HOLY FAT FLYING ELEPHANTS
    Namecid
  • Options
    Gabriel LawlisGabriel Lawlis Rochester, NY Posts: 17
    He did seem rather rushed due to the curfew. Hurt was absolutely amazing. 10c tix in section G, not as close as I would of liked, but still in the front half of the ampitheater.

Definitely worth the trip from North Carolina.
  • Options
    csblake111csblake111 Posts: 147
    Amazing night. :)
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    The Santa Barbara Bowl has to be the best venue of the tour. Ed seemed really happy to be playing outside under the stars. He said it felt like sitting around a campfire.

Highlights... not in a chronological order...
    GLEN HANSARD is amazing. His performance was fantastic. An open bleeding heart on stage. How can you not connect with his performance? FALLING SLOWLY is a beautiful song.

HURT! The first three notes of this song, I turned to my friend and said, is that what I think it is? Is this actually happening? Nuts. His voice sounded great and I remembered how much I love Johnny Cash too and how I hope that Ed continues to grace us with his voice/music until he is an old man.
    LONGING TO BELONG - Rudy on the cello made this song sound so rich and beautiful tonight.
    WISHLIST - Was really happy to hear this song only because earlier in the day after a conversation with my two nephews about Pearl Jam I sent them a few songs to listen to and one of them was Wishlist.
    PARTING WAYS - a really nice surprise. I think that may be the first time I've heard that song live.
    REDEMPTION SONG - the audience really loved this, a really lovely singalong.
    HARD SUN - Great way to end the night. Lots of energy. Crowd rushed the stage.
    DREAM A LITTLE DREAM - To hear this song underneath the stars was beautiful. Ed's voice is so sexy on this and it was nice way to send us on our ways.

Is it strange that at one part I just had hope that Eddie was going to say, I brought some friends here tonight and the whole band was going to appear with him? I guess I'm just excited about seeing the rest of the band again later this summer. I loved hearing Pearl Jam songs stripped down, just a guitar and a voice, makes you notice what great stories these songs tell like OFF HE GOES. That song tells a wrenching story, it was good tonight.

I feel like it was a full amazing night. And Eddie, next time you come back to Santa Barbara, yes, start the concert at 6pm, so you can play longer.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    eladdereladder Posts: 414
    Ive been lucky enough to go to Boston, NYC, Philly, and la shows and this was simply another level mainly because of the venue and the wonderful city that is Santa Barbara. He was genuinely happy to be here and we all do our best where we are happiest. I had such a great time going to these shows and I'm sincerely thankful to Eddie for what he has done for me and all of the fans. I urge all of you to try and go to this venue at some point. It's perfect for a pearl jam fan because you all obviously appreciate great and special things! Santa Cruz!
    He was ok but wondering about wandering
  • Options
    nothingmankevin10nothingmankevin10 Philadelphia Posts: 85
    wow i really really wish eddie would release these boots each show is better than the next,i wish there was something we as fans could do so he knows how intersted in there us fans are????but none the less another great nite,congrats eddie.well all the best everyboby,cheers kevin
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    what a set list :shock:
    awesome!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    What a great night! Eddie was in rare form. Thanks 10C for the great seats. I took my wife to her first PJ/EV show and she loved it! Off He Goes was really powerful and ending the first set with Parting Ways gave me chills! Beautiful venue and beautiful night!
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    Vegas - 93 / Vegas - 06 / Berkeley (Eddie) - 08 / LA - 09 / SD - 09 / Santa Barbara (Eddie) - 11 / LA - 13 / Dana Point (Eddie - Ohana) - 17 / Boston Sept 2 and 4 - 18 / Ohana 18 / Ohana 19
  • Options
    mdevitremdevitre Los Angeles Posts: 26
    Yossi wrote:
    Randomly got front row center. Great seats, great show, great set list, great weather, great crowd, great venue. Just awesome. Came from NJ for the weekend...well worth it.

Congrats. That's what it's all about!
    [X]  Ventura, California (May 12, 1992)
    [X]  Las Vegas, Nevada (December 01, 1993)
    [X]  Mountain View, California (October 01, 1994)
    [X]  San Diego, California (November 06, 1995)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (September 14, 1996)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (September 16, 1996)
    [X]  San Diego, California (July 10, 1998)
    [X]  Great Western Forum (July 13, 1998)
    [X]  Inglewood, California (July 14, 1998)
    [X]  Las Vegas, Nevada (October 22, 2000)
    [X]  Los Angeles, California (October 24, 2000)
    [X]  San Diego, California (October 25, 2000)
    [X]  Irvine, California (June 02, 2003)
    [X]  San Diego, California (June 05, 2003)
    [X]  Los Angeles, California (July 09, 2006)
    [X]  Hollywood, California (July 12, 2006)
    [X]  Santa Barbara, California (July 13, 2006)
    [X]  Universal City, California (September 30, 2009)
    [X]  Gibson Amphitheater (October 07, 2009)
    [X]  Los Angeles, CA (November 23, 2013)
    [X]  Los Angeles, CA (November 24, 2013)
    [X]  Greenville (April 16, 2016)
    [X]  Boston 1 (August 05, 2016)
    [X]  Boston 2 (August 07, 2016)
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    What an incredible week, especially Saturday evening @ Santa Barbara Bowl.
    My 12 year old son and I drove up from San Diego and wow - what a night. Hurt, Redemption Song, Parting Ways, Needle & the Damage Done - WOW - The Wishlist~Off He Goes~Hurt~I Am Mine "quad-fecta" really jump started the show after the mighty uke had its say to kick things off...

Such a great evening. Scored the EMEK 2nite - (sweet up close) - my little buddy had a blast, the crowd was awesome, venue amazing.

La Super Rica Tacqueria was absolutely delish and worth the wait!

Thanks Ed - I loved San Diego, but you absolutlely stunned me tonight - 2 great shows this week!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    finallyfinally Posts: 82
    Hurt, Santa Cruz, Needle and the Damage Done were songs I never heard live before - very cool. I was on the verge of tears during Parting Ways and I can't get Ed's foot-stomping beat on Unthought Known out of my head!

After winning the PJ lotto with 2nd row in L.A., my seat was a little more than halfway up (thanks to RD17551 for hooking me up :) ). I truly am glad that I was even there. The sound was just as awesome. Besides, anytime I can hear Ed live for 2 hours, I've got nothing to complain about.

I've laughed and I've cried. Thank you, Ed, for 3 wonderful nights :D

P.S. SB had playing cards. For those of you going to upcoming shows, keeps your eyes out for them.
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    OMG that setlist kicks ass. For the love of god ed please release the solo shows, even if not all a few but at least include this one.
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    best setlist of the tour! congrats santa barbara. I would give anything to hear redemption song.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    what a set list :shock:

Yeah, looks great to me!!

I would love to see him do even just one of those covers.....!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    SmeckleSmeckle Posts: 33
    My first EV show, and what a great one! Drove up from OC with my fiancée and had a nice day in SB before the concert. Seats were in Section H, next to a couple from Philly. The entire concert was one fantastic performance after another, and Ed's stories were all hilarious, especially the one before Redemption Song. Great crowd energy and participation. Highlights for me were More Than You Know, Wishlist, Off He Goes, Hurt, Parting Ways, the whole mini set with Hansard, Redemption Song, Hide Your Love Away, and Hard Sun...but really, every song! Only disappointment was I didn't check the time on the tickets and we walked into our seats at 7:30 since that's what Ten Club said for Hansard's starting time. :cry:
  • Options
    hedavehedave Posts: 201
    Trip to Santa Barbara $450
    Eddie Vedder @ the Santa Barbara Bowl: $150.
    Standing with Brandy while Ed sings "Redemption Songs": Priceless.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    hedavehedave Posts: 201
    My girlfriend never attended a PJ show and certainly never an EV solo. When she asks I simply reply, "The greatest band of our time." I don't believe any other words are necessary. The rest must be experienced. Thank you, Ed.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    Leroy74Leroy74 Posts: 35
    Any video of Hurt yet?

Wow, do I regret not making the drive up now
  • Options
    SP96445SP96445 Posts: 214
    Eddies Voice = Silky Perfection

Venue Acoustics = Flawless

Songs = Dream List

Me = Lucky Bastard to See Last 4 Shows
  • Options
    Scored a ticket from merepatt for 50 bucks! She also met me at the Wiltern Friday to give me the ticket. Great transaction I highly recommend!!!!

The show was amazing. Im so happy I was able to see two of these shows after missing in 08. Fantastic
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    edited July 2011
    Ugh, this could have been the best show I've ever been to. I could have been on here spellbound and in disbelief that Santa Barbara managed to top even the greatness that was Long Beach and Los Angeles. I could have been raving about the unbelievable show that Eddie put on last night, like so many others already have. As it is, all the pieces were in place...wife by my side, an absolutely stunning venue on absolutely beautiful summer night, Ed in perfect form, a setlist that has to make even the most hardcore fan jealous (c'mon, Redemption Song, Needle and the Damage Done, Santa Cruz, Parting Ways...and motherfucking HURT...all in the same night?!?!).

And yet, instead, I feel the need to ask...(rant time)...WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? How the fuck do you get to your seats three songs into Eddie's set, and then proceed to loudly talk to your friend about your job, love life, post-show plans, etc. so that the people around you have no choice but to listen to you, and not see how fucking rude and inconsiderate you're being? And then, when people turn around and ask you to quiet down FOUR FUCKING TIMES (my wife twice, me twice) how do you have the gall to make smirky faces, loudly complain to each other that "we're just trying to have fun", and then pick up your same fucking conversation, just as loud, seconds later? And then, to put the motherfuckin cherry on the motherfuckin cake, to the frat boy who came down and started offering these girls shots...and then proceeded to engage in a conversation about meeting up at their house after the show...a big huge FUCK YOU to you too. I know the people whom I'm referring to won't read this, because they obviously are not even fans of the band, but FUCK YOU for destroying my night and making my wife more angry at strangers than I've ever seen her in my life. And while I'm at it, fuck you too to the couple in front of me, especially the dude in the white hat who by the end of the night was disgustingly drunk and having a full-on yelling argument with his wife/girlfriend during the last few songs of the set. Goddamnit, I hate people sometimes.

(And I really did try...really hard...to zone out all of these distractions, to just focus in on Eddie's music, to put myself in that other place that I went to for the prior two night's shows. It's just, these were the worst, most inconsiderate people I've ever been around in any of the hundreds of shows (PJ and otherwise) that I've been to in my life. And the crowds in Long Beach and L.A. were so good. And this show was so amazing otherwise. Ugh.)
    Post edited by walkunafraid on
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    unikunkaunikunka Posts: 87
    Fantastic show. Fantastic venue. Both Glen and Ed changed up their usual setlists. Redemption Song crushed. Ed was rushed by curfew, but I think SB was better than all the other shows this week