Options

*** EV Tour - Santa Barbara Fanviews Here 07/9/11 ***

Comments

• Options
    mcreadyfanmcreadyfan Posts: 70
    Wonderful venue, and Ed looked amazing...i don't think he's ever looked so good. Seemed happy and was funny as hell. I loved the story he told about the ants on the beach:

He laughed about how his parents made us wait for an hour after eating a little bitty sandwich before he could go into the water and as he waited he watched ants in the sand. He would put a little bit of sand over the ant and wait for it to come back out to the top. Then he would put a bit more sand over it and see if it could get through. Then finally, a huge mound on top..but by then he was running off to the water so he didn't know if the ant managed to get out of that one or not. Then he said, later it might have been karma coming back because (i think he said 12 years ago) he felt like a giant pile of sand was on top of him and he would never (be okay) again. (i imagine he was referring to that very dark period after Rokskilde.)

The sound was great and i was really wishing i was one of those people at the front row (i have great seniority but got seats in the second section) but am glad not to have dealt with drunken idiots i am reading about. How does a 10 club member get 10 seats? i thought we could only get 2. I wish i could have bought another show too. How come other people manage to get tickets to every show? I don't want to go to them all but i had to choose between Long Beach And Santa Barbie. What am i doing wrong here? BUT I was grateful to be there, believe me. And i'm glad it was Santa Barbie.

That was another funny thing he said before singing Santa Cruz...he said he would have written it about SB but not much rhymes with Barbara... At the end he starts humming and thinking out loud....Everything is harder...in Santa Barbara... and then laughs. nope couldn't work a song out for SB. He said that he and his girlfriend hid out in SB for a year once.

It was beautiful when i pulled into the parking lot at about 4:45 i think...I could hear Ed's voice throughout the air everywhere as he was rehearsing. It was like Ed was God singing from the heavens.

I don't post much here but thought i would share these things because someone asked. Please dont blast me for anything i said but feel free to correct my details or add to. Please please believe me i am grateful for ten club seats but you all know how much love we have for PJ and always want more!!! yes, it is a beautiful drug. The best high ever. Completely sober.

Peace and love. DW
    LBDeb

Mind your manners!!!!!
    San Diego and LA 2
  • Options
    I have to agree about the talking. I was in section E row Z and although the talking wasnt an issue in my immediate section, I was able to hear people behind me and too my left that basically talked the whole time. I also had a guy down my row that was probably in his seat for a grand total of 20 minutes. Arrived late and made probably 10 trips to the beer stand. No joke.

And if I can rant for a second, WHY THE FUCK DO SOME PEOPLE HAVE SUCH A HARD TIME FINDING THEIR GOD DAMN SEATS!!!!! It really isnt that hard, even in venues I've never been too. If your ticket says row X dont walk up to the row with a fucking Z on the ground next to it. Seriously? Are you 3 years old or do you know your A-B-C's? If my seat says 102 on it and your ticket says 130 when seat 101 is visible to me right, Im gonna take a wild fucking guess and say Im not in your seat. Then there are the people like the chicks two rows down from me who said, "well lets just take seats and we'll see what happens." NO, dont do that. Then the idiots who cant find their seats to begin with will be really fucking confused. Apparently simple letters and numbers are too far over some people's heads.

Sorry for the rant :D

All that being said, nothing could have ruined that show for me. Un-fucking-real! Thank you Eddie and Glen for back to back fantastic nights.
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Ohh.. Ed's guitar err Uke tech looks just like him.

Right before playing Rise, he talked about the Mandolin and said if we were all sitting around a campfire and we ran out of wood, the mandolin would be the first to go. Then he said the fucker was going to bite him back...

Glen's set was great, he loved the view and said it was the first time he played songs to people eating pizza and drinking wine. It sounded like he had a fuzz factory pedal that he busted out, had some nice overtones.

I do wish we got small town and immortality so my wife could sing along, but that is just for me. I was too far away to make a sign and run down to the stage.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    Synapses FlashingSynapses Flashing Ventura, CA Posts: 86
    Just an amazing show. Absolutely love coming here and listening to great music under the stars. Unbelieveable song selection. Seats were excellent. Row 14 on the floor dead center. Only drag as others have noted was the section of free standing chairs in the walkway immediately behind the floor section. Obviously this is where people sat who didn't give a rats ass about who was performing or anybody around them. It was really distracting the first 3 or 4 songs and then occasionally after that. Nothing anyone said to them made any difference. Was curious about the show starting time. The email from 10c said 730 for glen hansard. We got to our seats maybe 10 minutes after that but he was done and then Ed was on at 8. Where did I miss the memo on the earlier start time? Thankfully I was in LA as well so at least I got to hear a Glen Hansard set for one of the shows.

Also, my wife and I were both very impressed how well a few very small children did during the show. One little boy a couple rows in front of us had a uke shirt that said on the back 1st EV show, Santa Barbara July 9 2011. The front said something like No Ceiling was the song I was born to. Awesome. No way our twin 4 year olds would do that well. The losers sitting behind us would do well to take a lesson from those kids.

When PJ was here in 2006 Ed made almost word for word the exact same comment about the excellence of the SB Bowl. Last night he added later that if he exceeded the strict curfew then he wouldn't be invited back and he very much wanted to so please Ed, come back, either solo or with the band. And make it soon!!!
    11-7-95 San Diego Sports Arena (originally 6-7-95 in Del Mar)7-14-98 LA
    6-3-03 Irvine7-7-06 San Diego7-9/10-06 LA7-13-06 Santa Barbara7-16-06 San Francisco7-22/23-06 Gorge12-2-06 Honolulu4-10-08 Santa Barbara (Ed)4-13-08 LA (Ed)
  • Options
    Oh, on the drive over, when we got to the Welcome to Indio sign, we stopped and I took my shoes off and threw them at the sign. Shit town.
  • Options
    RR204642RR204642 Posts: 2
    mcreadyfan wrote:
    Wonderful venue, and Ed looked amazing...i don't think he's ever looked so good. Seemed happy and was funny as hell. I loved the story he told about the ants on the beach:

He laughed about how his parents made us wait for an hour after eating a little bitty sandwich before he could go into the water and as he waited he watched ants in the sand. He would put a little bit of sand over the ant and wait for it to come back out to the top. Then he would put a bit more sand over it and see if it could get through. Then finally, a huge mound on top..but by then he was running off to the water so he didn't know if the ant managed to get out of that one or not. Then he said, later it might have been karma coming back because (i think he said 12 years ago) he felt like a giant pile of sand was on top of him and he would never (be okay) again. (i imagine he was referring to that very dark period after Rokskilde.)

The sound was great and i was really wishing i was one of those people at the front row (i have great seniority but got seats in the second section) but am glad not to have dealt with drunken idiots i am reading about. How does a 10 club member get 10 seats? i thought we could only get 2. I wish i could have bought another show too. How come other people manage to get tickets to every show? I don't want to go to them all but i had to choose between Long Beach And Santa Barbie. What am i doing wrong here? BUT I was grateful to be there, believe me. And i'm glad it was Santa Barbie.

That was another funny thing he said before singing Santa Cruz...he said he would have written it about SB but not much rhymes with Barbara... At the end he starts humming and thinking out loud....Everything is harder...in Santa Barbara... and then laughs. nope couldn't work a song out for SB. He said that he and his girlfriend hid out in SB for a year once.

It was beautiful when i pulled into the parking lot at about 4:45 i think...I could hear Ed's voice throughout the air everywhere as he was rehearsing. It was like Ed was God singing from the heavens.

I don't post much here but thought i would share these things because someone asked. Please dont blast me for anything i said but feel free to correct my details or add to. Please please believe me i am grateful for ten club seats but you all know how much love we have for PJ and always want more!!! yes, it is a beautiful drug. The best high ever. Completely sober.

Peace and love. DW

Been to about 25 PJ/EV shows starting with Bridge School 1994, and SB 2011 is certainly in the upper echelon of my experiences along with Hawaii Theater 2009, Spreckels Theater 2008, and Spartan Stadium 1995.

Glen is of course amazing in general, but his rendition of Astral Weeks is downright transcendental...especially under a rising moon with a view of the Channel Islands. To quote 1Maverick1880: "now I know why his guitar looks like it does."

As someone alluded to earlier in this thread, it gives Unthought Known a whole new dimension when the lyrics "feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones" and "see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on" permeate an outdoor amphitheater under Scorpio and the rising 3/4 moon on a glorious SB July night with a view of the SB harbor.

Just to add to a couple of the stories from SB 2011:

As part of the lead-in to Redemption Song, Ed mentioned something along the lines of "at just about every campfire, there's the guy with a guitar who just sings his own songs and won't sing other people's songs. I don't want to be THAT asshole....."

Then Ed mentioned that he had tickets to see "this next guy (Bob Marley) opening for Stevie Wonder, but he got stopped at the border or something....he must have had a black mark on his passport....and then he passed away a little while later so I never got another chance..." and how it always bummed Ed out that he never got to see Marley live. He then mentioned that years later he was talking to Ben Harper about it and that in response Ben told him that his first concert was Bob Marley, and Ed said "so it was one of the only times I was able to tell Ben and mean it, 'Fuck You'." Then Ben told Ed: "yeah, my first concert was Bob Marley and Stevie Wonder played at my wedding." So Ed told him, "double Fuck You."

As lead-in to More Than You Know, Ed commented that the song was written about the same time that the SB Bowl was built in the 1930s.

In Wishlist, instead of "as fortunate as me" he substituted "as fortunate as SB."

Indeed.....
  • Options
    G-FuryG-Fury Posts: 53
    Just an amazing show. Absolutely love coming here and listening to great music under the stars. Unbelieveable song selection. Seats were excellent. Row 14 on the floor dead center. Only drag as others have noted was the section of free standing chairs in the walkway immediately behind the floor section. Obviously this is where people sat who didn't give a rats ass about who was performing or anybody around them. It was really distracting the first 3 or 4 songs and then occasionally after that. Nothing anyone said to them made any difference. Was curious about the show starting time. The email from 10c said 730 for glen hansard. We got to our seats maybe 10 minutes after that but he was done and then Ed was on at 8. Where did I miss the memo on the earlier start time? Thankfully I was in LA as well so at least I got to hear a Glen Hansard set for one of the shows.

Also, my wife and I were both very impressed how well a few very small children did during the show. One little boy a couple rows in front of us had a uke shirt that said on the back 1st EV show, Santa Barbara July 9 2011. The front said something like No Ceiling was the song I was born to. Awesome. No way our twin 4 year olds would do that well. The losers sitting behind us would do well to take a lesson from those kids.

When PJ was here in 2006 Ed made almost word for word the exact same comment about the excellence of the SB Bowl. Last night he added later that if he exceeded the strict curfew then he wouldn't be invited back and he very much wanted to so please Ed, come back, either solo or with the band. And make it soon!!!

You must have been right behind me. I was row 13 and that little kid was just to the left of me up one row. I was directly behind the couple who should have rented a hotel room instead of going to a concert.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    RR204642 wrote:

Glen is of course amazing in general, but his rendition of Astral Weeks is downright transcendental...especially under a rising moon with a view of the Channel Islands. To quote 1Maverick1880: "now I know why his guitar looks like it does."

I personally think that a duet with Glen and Ed on Astral Weeks would be off the charts. It is about as perfect a song as it comes. Take Glen's passion and Ed's baritone and it would be magic. I have no doubt it would make Van Morrison proud.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    RR204642 wrote:

Just to add to a couple of the stories from SB 2011:

As part of the lead-in to Redemption Song, Ed mentioned something along the lines of "at just about every campfire, there's the guy with a guitar who just sings his own songs and won't sing other people's songs. I don't want to be THAT asshole....."

Then Ed mentioned that he had tickets to see "this next guy (Bob Marley) opening for Stevie Wonder, but he got stopped at the border or something....he must have had a black mark on his passport....and then he passed away a little while later so I never got another chance..." and how it always bummed Ed out that he never got to see Marley live. He then mentioned that years later he was talking to Ben Harper about it and that in response Ben told him that his first concert was Bob Marley, and Ed said "so it was one of the only times I was able to tell Ben and mean it, 'Fuck You'." Then Ben told Ed: "yeah, my first concert was Bob Marley and Stevie Wonder played at my wedding." So Ed told him, "double Fuck You."

wow
    thank you for posting this story
    as a marley fan who loves that live santa barbara dvd this post made my day. love the "connection" of the story to the venue

bob marley opening up for stevie wonder. omg
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i need to hear redemption song ...... please help me
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    csblake111csblake111 Posts: 147
    mcreadyfan wrote:

Peace and love. DW

We were picking up our 10C tix around the same time and it was just magical to hear Eddie singing as we were walking back to the car. We kept getting to spots where you could just hear him crystal clear. "It was like Ed was God singing from the heavens"....perfect way to describe it. :) It was the beginning of a beautiful evening that I'll never forget.
  • Options
    kmac1976kmac1976 Posts: 84
    AzWicker wrote:
    G-Fury wrote:
    So wait...how does the upgrade work exactly? Does someone randomly come up to you and give you better tickets?

Yes. I believe it is Jesse Eds security guy. It was right when the gate opened and it was completely random.

I was one of the 'lucky ones', and it was 100% random. Had heard stories of upgrades happening at EV shows, but I was in no way looking for the guy with the tickets. He walked right up to my GF and me, and said he'd trade me my tix for 1st row tickets. He said they like to hold back a bunch of tickets for fans, and keep them out of the hands of scalpers+ticket agencies who jack up the price. I shook his hand and thanked him, and we were on our way.

My advice is to get to the venue early...we were probably the first 20 people through the door.

Thanks again EV and crew for wonderful night! First time EVER sitting in the front row of a concert. Very grateful PJ fan here!!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i need to hear redemption song ...... please help me

should have been there...it was awesome! ;):mrgreen:
  • Options
    JoelInNoCalJoelInNoCal Posts: 186
    kmac1976 wrote:
    AzWicker wrote:
    G-Fury wrote:
    So wait...how does the upgrade work exactly? Does someone randomly come up to you and give you better tickets?

Yes. I believe it is Jesse Eds security guy. It was right when the gate opened and it was completely random.

I was one of the 'lucky ones', and it was 100% random. Had heard stories of upgrades happening at EV shows, but I was in no way looking for the guy with the tickets. He walked right up to my GF and me, and said he'd trade me my tix for 1st row tickets. He said they like to hold back a bunch of tickets for fans, and keep them out of the hands of scalpers+ticket agencies who jack up the price. I shook his hand and thanked him, and we were on our way.

My advice is to get to the venue early...we were probably the first 20 people through the door.

Thanks again EV and crew for wonderful night! First time EVER sitting in the front row of a concert. Very grateful PJ fan here!!

This seems pretty cool. Clarification question though ... some 10c members were still given front row seats from the random selection by 10c, right? I mean, Oakland, for example, I could have lucked out and gotten front row tickets and not have to worry about a possible upgrade ... or are all the front row tickets based on this random upgrade process?
    Raleigh, 8/18/1992 (Lollapalooza)
    Sacramento, 7/16/1998
    San Francisco, 7/18/2006
    Oakland, 7/11/2011 (Eddie Vedder)
    Vancouver, BC, 9/25/2011
    Oakland, 10/26/2013
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Got Sec. I, Row C. We liked the seats (thx 10c) and there were decent people around so I really enjoyed this show for other obvious musical reasons!!! :D:D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    GrandmaGrandma Posts: 259
    JD29648 wrote:
    my wife and i were next to you i think - in row 11. you had the binoculars? and that group in front of us was the most obnoxious i've ever seen.

Grandma wrote:
    I would rather have been behind her (at least she wanted to see Ed) than the party of 8 in section V that spent the whole night talking to each other -- jumping around from seat to seat to talk to someone else, sending someone on a beer run every 2 songs - and 1 of them wondering when the rest of the band was coming out "(just 1 guy and a guitar? they didn't tell me that"). Apparenlty a 10c'er bought the tix for them on the presale to boot, since he would come over from time to time and gloat how he had 2nd row. Ruined the whole vibe - I tried as hard as i could to just concentrate on Ed but they were SO loud. And at the end of the night they were surprised when I told them they were the rudest bunch I had ever encountered in 40 years of concert-going ( although they laughed when I tried to hush them earlier, and made fun of the people in front of them who would turn around and ask them to quiet down).
    That member who bought those 8 tickets in row 10 of section V for non-fans should be kicked out of the club. Next time just take them to a bar.
    Yep. that was me. Almost didn't bring the binocs cos the seat was close but glad I did - helped block them out of my vision! The final pisser was that the 2 rudest of the girls rushed up to the stage at the end and they were bragging that Ed touched one of their hands! Wonder if anyone sat next to the kind of tall grey-haired (60ish?) dude that bought them the tix (probably had to buy from a scalper on 2nd thought since 8 tix - couldn't get that on presale) --wondering if he was as rude.
  • Options
    beastorbeastor Posts: 3

Wow I really hope you aren't talking about my kids. We brought our 18 mo old and 3 1/2 year old to the show and we were several rows behind the cute kid with the shirt. My kids never cried and they absolutely loved the show! They were dancing (quietly as I am always very conscious of people around me - I told the people behind us to let me know the second my kids were an issue and they said they were great!). I was so proud that they will always be able to say EV was their first concert. My 3 1/2 year old was pumping her fists in all the right places and I really got emotional seeing how much she loved the music!
  • Options
    kmac1976kmac1976 Posts: 84
    This seems pretty cool. Clarification question though ... some 10c members were still given front row seats from the random selection by 10c, right? I mean, Oakland, for example, I could have lucked out and gotten front row tickets and not have to worry about a possible upgrade ... or are all the front row tickets based on this random upgrade process?[/quote]

I can't speak for everyone, but our 10c seats were Section G(middle of the way up). Everyone I chatted with in the front row received upgrades. You can bet that some 10c seats were towards the front though, can't imagine they'd save all of them for upgrades.
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    Great show...

After seeing the Wiltern show it felt like ED had to rush...

Man what the hell was up with security/lench mob... They were such jerks from the front to end..

Cant say it was just one person...what ass wholes... walking up and down the stairs yelling at people in regards to cameras... My wife has bad legs from a car crash so we attempted to let the crowd leave and security gave us such a bad time, one guy was trying to start a fight with me telling me to first shake his hand, I said no and they proceeded to tell me to then hit it!!!! what the......

O and lets not leave out the cop on a motorcycle in the parking lot telling everyone to pour out the beer etc....

different place from the 2006 PJ show....
  • Options
    Synapses FlashingSynapses Flashing Ventura, CA Posts: 86
    beastor wrote:
    Wow I really hope you aren't talking about my kids. We brought our 18 mo old and 3 1/2 year old to the show and we were several rows behind the cute kid with the shirt. My kids never cried and they absolutely loved the show! They were dancing (quietly as I am always very conscious of people around me - I told the people behind us to let me know the second my kids were an issue and they said they were great!). I was so proud that they will always be able to say EV was their first concert. My 3 1/2 year old was pumping her fists in all the right places and I really got emotional seeing how much she loved the music!

Oh no way. All three kids I saw around us were awesome. It was the teenagers (I'm guessing) behind us in the section with the free standing chairs that were absolutely pathetic. Talking at full volume during songs and while Ed was telling stories. They finally settled down 3 or 4 songs in but still... I hope I can get our kids into PJ someday.
    11-7-95 San Diego Sports Arena (originally 6-7-95 in Del Mar)7-14-98 LA
    6-3-03 Irvine7-7-06 San Diego7-9/10-06 LA7-13-06 Santa Barbara7-16-06 San Francisco7-22/23-06 Gorge12-2-06 Honolulu4-10-08 Santa Barbara (Ed)4-13-08 LA (Ed)
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I think I have finally come down enough to write a review. This was, without a doubt, one of the best nights of my life. I wasn’t originally going to this show and Tuesday a ticket fell in my lap and I couldn’t say no. I was so happy to finally see a show at the Santa Barbara Bowl- I’ve always wanted to go there. And to see Ed, I was so excited and grateful to be there. Then when I went in, I got upgraded to FRONT ROW CENTER. I had the absolute middle seat. Unbelievable. The night was beautiful, the moon was bright and high in the sky and Ed was so stoked to be there and outside. He commented that it felt like a backyard campfire/sing-along… and that is exactly what it felt like… x 1000.

The show was incredible. He was so on, his voice sounded great, his stories were funny and very Ed. For me every song was a highlight. But a few, in no order:

Hurt was perfection. There is really no other word for it. His voice was made for that song and it sent chills down my spine to my core. I had tears streaming down my face and didn’t even realize it until the song ended.

Santa Cruz was a lot of fun, a great song and I was so happy he played it there. It is such a California song, and it was perfect for the evening and the venue. His Santa Cruz/Santa Barbara banter was pretty funny.

Needle and the Damage Done- no one can sing Neil like Ed. Paralleled only by Neil himself. So glad to hear this song.

Redemption Song was a great campfire song and the crowd got sooo into it. So glad to hear him play this.

Parting Ways was a great surprise and he nailed it.

Falling Slowly took my breath away. I knew that it would, but to see it from the front like that. I don’t think I have ever been more focused or in a zone like that. Those two voices together, with their passion. Damn. …Again I had tears down my face and had no idea. I never wanted it to end.

I know there was more, but even typing this I’m becoming overwhelmed all over again. I feel like I was given the gift of a lifetime and I will never forget it and am so grateful for the experience. …and now I get to attend the two Oakland shows. I am one lucky girl.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    I think I have finally come down enough to write a review. This was, without a doubt, one of the best nights of my life. I wasn’t originally going to this show and Tuesday a ticket fell in my lap and I couldn’t say no. I was so happy to finally see a show at the Santa Barbara Bowl- I’ve always wanted to go there. And to see Ed, I was so excited and grateful to be there. Then when I went in, I got upgraded to FRONT ROW CENTER. I had the absolute middle seat. Unbelievable. The night was beautiful, the moon was bright and high in the sky and Ed was so stoked to be there and outside. He commented that it felt like a backyard campfire/sing-along… and that is exactly what it felt like… x 1000.

The show was incredible. He was so on, his voice sounded great, his stories were funny and very Ed. For me every song was a highlight. But a few, in no order:

Hurt was perfection. There is really no other word for it. His voice was made for that song and it sent chills down my spine to my core. I had tears streaming down my face and didn’t even realize it until the song ended.

Santa Cruz was a lot of fun, a great song and I was so happy he played it there. It is such a California song, and it was perfect for the evening and the venue. His Santa Cruz/Santa Barbara banter was pretty funny.

Needle and the Damage Done- no one can sing Neil like Ed. Paralleled only by Neil himself. So glad to hear this song.

Redemption Song was a great campfire song and the crowd got sooo into it. So glad to hear him play this.

Parting Ways was a great surprise and he nailed it.

Falling Slowly took my breath away. I knew that it would, but to see it from the front like that. I don’t think I have ever been more focused or in a zone like that. Those two voices together, with their passion. Damn. …Again I had tears down my face and had no idea. I never wanted it to end.

I know there was more, but even typing this I’m becoming overwhelmed all over again. I feel like I was given the gift of a lifetime and I will never forget it and am so grateful for the experience. …and now I get to attend the two Oakland shows. I am one lucky girl.

Damn No. Cal people come down and take the front row seats from the So. Cal locals! :)

But seriously, I am happy you got upgraded.....such a great show...that venue seems to transform every show into a very personal affair!
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Damn No. Cal people come down and take the front row seats from the So. Cal locals! :)

But seriously, I am happy you got upgraded.....such a great show...that venue seems to transform every show into a very personal affair!

Thanks! You can come to Oakland and snag front row!!

...In the excitement of reliving it I forgot to add that I met Ed at the end of the night. Just for a brief second, and I totally geeked out and lost my words. I think I uttered "Thanks for teh best night of my life" or something like that. He was so kind and took the time to talk to everyone and when he was getting back on the bus he said goodbye again to my friends and I. As he was clinmbing onto the bus with his back to me I regained my voice and yelled "SEE YOU IN OAKTOWN!! REPRESENT!!" :lol::lol: such a geek.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    Santa Barbara was night 4 of my 7 night run up the California/ West coast with EV. I was still on cloud nine after getting front row seats to the LA Wiltern show, but I knew a night out at the SB Bowl would be special. I was lucky to score a 4th row single ticket from a friend and I was set for another great night. Glen was pretty funny and sang his ass off again. Damn that guys can strum his guitar pretty fast.

EV was on point again and it was funny how quickly 3 drinks made there way to the stage once he opened the invite to buy him a drink. I was shocked to see how many people in rows 1-3 were recording/taking pictures. As if there were not close enough to the stage and they all ignored securities warning to not record/take photos.

The set list was great and highlights included Needle and the Damage done, Hurt, Parting Ways, Hide your love away, Redemption Song, Falling slowly and Hard Sun. Ed's banter was funny as usual and we got to hear political Ed when he was taking about the DEA and Medical Pot.

So I have yet to get a guitar pick at any of the previous 80 EV/PJ shows I have attended. During the encore the entire pit area ran to the stage so I followed their lead. I was at the stage right in front when EV had his standing mic for Hard Sun. He went to stage right for the second verse and was singing five feet in front of me. He looked down at my and gave me a head nod and I responded with a hang loose hand sign. Everyone had their cameras out and Jesse (EV bodyguard) and security was there telling everyone NO PICTURES/VIDEO. Security was grabbing/blocking cameras it was chaos. I just kept rocking out and singing since I didn't feel I needed pictures since it was like getting a personal EV show two nights in a row for me being up close. Ed ran from far stage left to end song and did one of his famous jumps with his guitar to end the song. Then, He kinda tripped when coming to the edge of the stage. He leaned down to me and said it was good to see me again and then handed me an EV Evil Kinevil pic. I was stoked, excited and stunned at the same time that Ed seemed to remember me from a few nights prior when I met him and asked him for a guitar pic. He didn't have one then but made up for it in SB. Best tour I have been on so far!!! Now I am off to Oakland for two nights before driving back to Arizona with my dogs. Cheers EV!
  • Options
    TK15685TK15685 Posts: 34
    One of the best solo sets I have EVER seen Ed perform. Amazing venue and the covers were amazing. "Hurt "brought tears to me eyes. "Needle and The Damage Done" and "Redemption Song" were also top notch. A true high point was the Falling Slowly duet with Glen. Their voices together were beautiful. All the material was top notch and when he ended on the Uke with "Dream a little dream of me" it was amazing. Wish he would have started earlier due to the strict venue curfew. I flew from TN to see him and would go anywhere to see him and the band. Thanks to Ed and the amazing fan club for keeping us in touch with this amazing music.
  • Options
    LuvPJmomLuvPJmom Posts: 33
    Wow..just got back to Des Moines.
    Went to Long Beach, LA, then Santa Barbara..
    I am still thinking about the SB Bowl venue and show.
    I have never experienced anything like it before. The sound blew me away!!!
    Loved every single second we were in CA. Every single one... The trip to see Eddie will be one I will keep close to my heart : )
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    Santa Barbara was night 4 of my 7 night run up the California/ West coast with EV. I was still on cloud nine after getting front row seats to the LA Wiltern show, but I knew a night out at the SB Bowl would be special. I was lucky to score a 4th row single ticket from a friend and I was set for another great night. Glen was pretty funny and sang his ass off again. Damn that guys can strum his guitar pretty fast.

EV was on point again and it was funny how quickly 3 drinks made there way to the stage once he opened the invite to buy him a drink. I was shocked to see how many people in rows 1-3 were recording/taking pictures. As if there were not close enough to the stage and they all ignored securities warning to not record/take photos.

The set list was great and highlights included Needle and the Damage done, Hurt, Parting Ways, Hide your love away, Redemption Song, Falling slowly and Hard Sun. Ed's banter was funny as usual and we got to hear political Ed when he was taking about the DEA and Medical Pot.

So I have yet to get a guitar pick at any of the previous 80 EV/PJ shows I have attended. During the encore the entire pit area ran to the stage so I followed their lead. I was at the stage right in front when EV had his standing mic for Hard Sun. He went to stage right for the second verse and was singing five feet in front of me. He looked down at my and gave me a head nod and I responded with a hang loose hand sign. Everyone had their cameras out and Jesse (EV bodyguard) and security was there telling everyone NO PICTURES/VIDEO. Security was grabbing/blocking cameras it was chaos. I just kept rocking out and singing since I didn't feel I needed pictures since it was like getting a personal EV show two nights in a row for me being up close. Ed ran from far stage left to end song and did one of his famous jumps with his guitar to end the song. Then, He kinda tripped when coming to the edge of the stage. He leaned down to me and said it was good to see me again and then handed me an EV Evil Kinevil pic. I was stoked, excited and stunned at the same time that Ed seemed to remember me from a few nights prior when I met him and asked him for a guitar pic. He didn't have one then but made up for it in SB. Best tour I have been on so far!!! Now I am off to Oakland for two nights before driving back to Arizona with my dogs. Cheers EV!

Hard2IMAGINE2007VIC
    What a terrific experience for you! I am really glad you finally got your pic, not to mention having it personally handed to you by Ed:) You are blessed to be in the 1st row at The Wiltern and the 4th at The Bowl, two fabulous shows to be so close.
    Are you the nice gal my son and I met in the elevator at The Wiltern and then again after the SB Bowl show while waiting for Ed to come down the hill? If so, it was lots of fun talking with you. I never heard the story of your great seats. In SB we were behind you in sec.T, row 11. We were so happy to be right up there experiencing one of the best shows of the tour. I hope you have just as good of luck with the Oakland shows. I don't know if Ed can top himself but I'm sure he'll try. Benaroya Hall is bound to be a stand out.
    I can't remember if you said you were going to PJ20? I hope to see you there, this time I'll remember to ask your name. :oops:
    Safe travels...
  • Options
    Oh and I finally broke my PJ Cherry... unofficially, the offical breakage will come on September 3rd!
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    AzWicker wrote:
    Oh and I finally broke my PJ Cherry... unofficially, the offical breakage will come on September 3rd!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Good for you!! The first time isn't as bad as they say. In fact it's glorious. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    AzWicker wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Good for you!! The first time isn't as bad as they say. In fact it's glorious. :mrgreen:

I know... I don't have a good excuse, something always came up. Originall I was on Maui getting married and having my children and I planned on seeing the War Memorial show at the time. I am still regretting that. While in Phoenix, I figured I would just see them the next time around, yeah right. Hearing open road would have been epic, however, breaking my cherry at PJ20 celebrating my 20 year wedding anniversary is pretty appropriate