Options

*** EV Tour - Santa Barbara Fanviews Here 07/9/11 ***

Comments

• Options
    hedavehedave Posts: 201
    Dude! walkunafraid! Thank you! I don't know if you were one half of the couple that sat next to me (tall guy or blonde wife, row G). But to all the drunk assholes that would rather throw down beers and miss Glen's set; then find your seat after Ed starts, choke hard on it like a toddler in the deep end.

Fuck you to the folks behind me, who were in the wrong seats and new it, and told the true seat holders to go to hell (who eventually had to find security and reclaim their seats). Fuck you to the cows behind me who talked the whole time! One of the ladies referred to the guy playing as "Steve." I shit you not. She turned to the chick who obviously gave her the second ticket and said, "This Steve guy is good." Finally, a big, huge fuck you to the drunk who loves the sound of his own voice, yelling and talking the entire set. Next time stay home than rather ruin a show because you feel the incessant need for the attention you don't get when your sober.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    take this place
    IMG_20110709_184814.jpg

and that set list on a perfect summer evening...no words can really describe it

thanks for 3 unbelievable shows ed
  • Options
    hedavehedave Posts: 201
    Great pic
    norm wrote:
    take this place
    IMG_20110709_184814.jpg

and that set list on a perfect summer evening...no words can really describe it

thanks for 3 unbelievable shows ed
    He who forgets will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    hedave wrote:
    Dude! walkunafraid! Thank you! I don't know if you were one half of the couple that sat next to me (tall guy or blonde wife, row G). But to all the drunk assholes that would rather throw down beers and miss Glen's set; then find your seat after Ed starts, choke hard on it like a toddler in the deep end.

Fuck you to the folks behind me, who were in the wrong seats and new it, and told the true seat holders to go to hell (who eventually had to find security and reclaim their seats). Fuck you to the cows behind me who talked the whole time! One of the ladies referred to the guy playing as "Steve." I shit you not. She turned to the chick who obviously gave her the second ticket and said, "This Steve guy is good." Finally, a big, huge fuck you to the drunk who loves the sound of his own voice, yelling and talking the entire set. Next time stay home than rather ruin a show because you feel the incessant need for the attention you don't get when your sober.

Nah dude, I was in section D. Sounds like your experience was ruined just as badly as mine was. Sorry you had to go through that :(.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    Seems as if the crowd was full of venue season ticket holders. Many of them arrived late, and were yapping in the beginning, but luckily, most of the ones around me (section J) were mesmerized by Eddie, and promptly shut their mouthes!
  • Options
    Yield151Yield151 Posts: 267
    edited July 2011
    I was amazed at the San Diego show, but this night at Santa Barbara was EPIC... Ed was just on the whole night ... Only bad thing was the abundance of talkers in my section. I got section I from the 10c, not great but not bad. I was hoping for Emek as the poster artist and am very pleased he was and i love the poster :) This show needs a release. I think Ed felt much more comfortable and free outside and I would not be surprised on his next solo tour if most of them were outside - thanks Ed and thanks 10c.

PS : Paul Walker was in the Fan Club will call line right behind me. He ended up backstage but I thought it was pretty cool, guess he is a 10c member.
    Post edited by Yield151 on
  • Options
    SmeckleSmeckle Posts: 33
    The talking wasn't a problem where I was, but I did feel bad for anybody sitting behind that girl that was up in like row 2 or 3 on the very front left side who was up in her chair and dancing for Ed's entire ukulele set. She finally sat down once he put the uke down but every song she was up doing arm waves/dancing and stuff and, I'm sure, blocking anybody behind her who thought they were lucky to be in the front. I didn't have the greatest sets (pretty much center up and center across), but at least I didn't have anybody talking or blocking my view. Another highlight I forgot...Lukin! "This is just a quiet singalong...feel free to join in if you know the words..." :lol:
  • Options
    GrandmaGrandma Posts: 259
    Smeckle wrote:
    The talking wasn't a problem where I was, but I did feel bad for anybody sitting behind that girl that was up in like row 2 or 3 on the very front left side who was up in her chair and dancing for Ed's entire ukulele set. She finally sat down once he put the uke down but every song she was up doing arm waves/dancing and stuff and, I'm sure, blocking anybody behind her who thought they were lucky to be in the front. I didn't have the greatest sets (pretty much center up and center across), but at least I didn't have anybody talking or blocking my view. Another highlight I forgot...Lukin! "This is just a quiet singalong...feel free to join in if you know the words..." :lol:
    I would rather have been behind her (at least she wanted to see Ed) than the party of 8 in section V that spent the whole night talking to each other -- jumping around from seat to seat to talk to someone else, sending someone on a beer run every 2 songs - and 1 of them wondering when the rest of the band was coming out "(just 1 guy and a guitar? they didn't tell me that"). Apparenlty a 10c'er bought the tix for them on the presale to boot, since he would come over from time to time and gloat how he had 2nd row. Ruined the whole vibe - I tried as hard as i could to just concentrate on Ed but they were SO loud. And at the end of the night they were surprised when I told them they were the rudest bunch I had ever encountered in 40 years of concert-going ( although they laughed when I tried to hush them earlier, and made fun of the people in front of them who would turn around and ask them to quiet down).
    That member who bought those 8 tickets in row 10 of section V for non-fans should be kicked out of the club. Next time just take them to a bar.
  • Options
    JD29648JD29648 Denver Posts: 29
    my wife and i were next to you i think - in row 11. you had the binoculars? and that group in front of us was the most obnoxious i've ever seen.

Grandma wrote:
    Smeckle wrote:
    I would rather have been behind her (at least she wanted to see Ed) than the party of 8 in section V that spent the whole night talking to each other -- jumping around from seat to seat to talk to someone else, sending someone on a beer run every 2 songs - and 1 of them wondering when the rest of the band was coming out "(just 1 guy and a guitar? they didn't tell me that"). Apparenlty a 10c'er bought the tix for them on the presale to boot, since he would come over from time to time and gloat how he had 2nd row. Ruined the whole vibe - I tried as hard as i could to just concentrate on Ed but they were SO loud. And at the end of the night they were surprised when I told them they were the rudest bunch I had ever encountered in 40 years of concert-going ( although they laughed when I tried to hush them earlier, and made fun of the people in front of them who would turn around and ask them to quiet down).
    That member who bought those 8 tickets in row 10 of section V for non-fans should be kicked out of the club. Next time just take them to a bar.
  • Options
    VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    Wow! The venue looks amazing!!
    Hurt!
    Santa Cruz!
    Needle And The Damage Done!!
    AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    RD175551RD175551 Posts: 8
    Hurt, Santa Cruz, Needle and the Damage Done were songs I never heard live before - very cool. I was on the verge of tears during Parting Ways and I can't get Ed's foot-stomping beat on Unthought Known out of my head!

After winning the PJ lotto with 2nd row in L.A., my seat was a little more than halfway up (thanks to RD17551 for hooking me up :) ). I truly am glad that I was even there. The sound was just as awesome. Besides, anytime I can hear Ed live for 2 hours, I've got nothing to complain about.

I've laughed and I've cried. Thank you, Ed, for 3 wonderful nights :D

P.S. SB had playing cards. For those of you going to upcoming shows, keeps your eyes out for them.

thanks for the shout-out! it was great having you there
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Wow, so jealous you guys got to hear Hurt!!! Sounds like an awesome setlist!! :D:D:D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    PJGirlCAPJGirlCA Posts: 9
    Well finally seeing the posts that I expected. EV was wonderful as well as Mr. Hansard. They really seemed to enjoy themselves and sounded great. You can tell that EV really enjoys the outside venue at Santa Barbara as this is the second time seeing him here and both shows he appeared to be in fine form. The same cannot be said of the local morons that are really ruining the show for anyone who actually wants to see the artists perform. As I said this is the second time seeing PJ/EV here and both times the show was severely disrupted by these clowns. Apparantly being a season ticket holder to the venue also means you are a complete douchebag. Half the people around us in Section J (not bad seats by the way so thanks 10C) were more interested in talking about The Hills latest episodes and why doesn't Ed Hardy make scarves. I mean who the fuck comes to a rock concert with a cashmere sweater tied around their neck? I wanted to throw a few people off the side of the rock balcony. Disgusting! Please for the love of God wait for Katy Perry to come to town and stay the F away when a real band/artist is in town. That said thanks again Ed for the show and Hurt was a nice touch. Hope to see you soon!
  • Options
    G-FuryG-Fury Posts: 53
    Just got back to Phoenix from this amazing show! Ed never ever ever disappoints. The day he stops making music is the day a piece of me will die.

The Santa Barbara Bowl might just be the best venue I have ever been to. Just unbelievably gorgeous. Couldn't ask for a better setting. I was in section UU(floor) dead center. The only complaint I had is the couple in front of me who decided to make out the entire show like they were in Jr. High. Other than that perfect. I loved Ed's story about the ants at the beach. Also got a nice chuckle out of the remark about the mandolin being the first one to get thrown in the fire.

I feel like Ed/PJ are a drug and I am a raging addict. I just can't ever get enough

Oh....one last thing. Glen Hansard just made a new fan. That guy is unreal!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Seems as if the crowd was full of venue season ticket holders. Many of them arrived late, and were yapping in the beginning, but luckily, most of the ones around me (section J) were mesmerized by Eddie, and promptly shut their mouthes!

Seriously! I've never seen so many jack-holes walking around, in & out, spilling their white wine on people, talking constantly, etc. We were 3 rows from the top, which sucked - but we made the best of it regardless. Hard to concentrate on eV when he's so far away, let alone when you have people bumping into you every 2 seconds. And to the birdwatcher with your binoculars about 10 rows in front of me - you are an effing tool.

Oh well, c'est la vie. eV was on fire and having fun. The setlist was AMAZING. Next time I'll know to pony up the cash for better seats though.
    ***We all Believe***
  • Options
    Mamasan BrenMamasan Bren Posts: 959
    Can anyone relate the few stories that Ed might have told? Did he say anything before (or after) Redemption Song specifically?
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    Did he say anything before (or after) Redemption Song specifically?

he mentioned that he was gonna see bob open for stevie wonder but 2 months before the show bob died
  • Options
    Lukin19Lukin19 We The North Posts: 505
    It's too bad about the drunks!!
    Gotta be the best setlist of the tour so far!!
  • Options
    Can anyone relate the few stories that Ed might have told? Did he say anything before (or after) Redemption Song specifically?

He mentioned that Bob played the SB bowl in the 70s. Also, he mentioned that he was supposed to see Bob open for Stevie wonder. He jokingly bashed Ben Harper, whose first concert ever was Bob.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Seriously! I've never seen so many jack-holes walking around, in & out, spilling their white wine on people, talking constantly, etc. We were 3 rows from the top, which sucked - but we made the best of it regardless. Hard to concentrate on eV when he's so far away, let alone when you have people bumping into you every 2 seconds. And to the birdwatcher with your binoculars about 10 rows in front of me - you are an effing tool.

Oh well, c'est la vie. eV was on fire and having fun. The setlist was AMAZING. Next time I'll know to pony up the cash for better seats though.

Next time you go birdwatching in SB, play some loud EV music....poetic justice!
  • Options
    ed said he didn't want to tell a lot of stories since the time was short he wanted to stick to music...

but

he read that the dea denied changing the classification of pot...apparently this was the 3rd time this has been denied...the first time it took 11 years from the time of petition to time of denial; the second time it was 6 and the third it was 9 years...ed's thought "the dea must be pot smokers! can you imagine them sitting around "ok lets get going here guys. what's first? ...hey, pass that over here (takes a hit) ok...what were we doing?" :lol::lol:
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

He mentioned that Bob played the SB bowl in the 70s. Also, he mentioned that he was supposed to see Bob open for Stevie wonder. He jokingly bashed Ben Harper, whose first concert ever was Bob.

thanks joe! i must point out that my memory skips like a used record so i miss a lot of details :oops: :lol:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

thanks joe! i must point out that my memory skips like a used record so i miss a lot of details :oops: :lol:

I hope you didn't miss it when he dedicated a song to you!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

oh no, i caught that before 'hurt' :P :lol:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

oh no, i caught that before 'hurt' :P :lol:

Where was u sitting? We were in sec J row 6.
  • Options
    pearlyumapearlyuma Posts: 4
    Amazing venue, amazing music, amazing night.
    Second time at the SB Bowl, first was PJ in July 2006.... only place that compares is Alpine Valley. More than worth the 6 plus hour drive. I'll definitely be back the next time PJ or EV play there.
    Thank you to the Ten Club for seats in Section G Row E right on the aisle.
    So many highlights from the setlist, so I'll just share my top 3.
    - Parting Ways and the passion from Eddie's voice and music.
    - Needle and the Damage Done gave me goosebumps.
    - Falling Slowly with Glen and the string quartet had me near tears. An awesome performance. I keep playing that one over again in my head.
    9/21/06, 8/18/98, 8/22/98, 10/7/00, 6/21/03, 6/25/03, 6/26/03, 10/6/04, 7/13/06
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    I am tired. Just drove back to Phoenix from Santa Barbara. Best venue ever. Not only are those pictures beautiful, but what some forget is there was an ocean view as well. The sky was clear and the moon was bright, I kept looking up during Unthought Known. The stars also arrived right on queue for "gems and rhinestones". I sat in section I row G with my wife. A nice girl flew in from Seattle, she is seeing the last 4 shows on tour. I mentioned to her how the ticket fairy works. I did not score, but it was cool to see 10 clubbers get upgraded to the best seats in the house. Really, those are money tickets. I just wish I knew what the secret was to get them, my wife and I both tried to look needy :0

Pissed me off how people bought 20 posters at a time. Another girl had to pay $60 for a poster from a guy right before the show. There should be a limit at the beginning of the show and then a free for all after the show.

I thought the crowd was great, at least from a cell phone point of view. Not a lot of texting going on... Not a lot of texters, we had 4 free sets open next to us because I think those people were upgraded. The shows was definately too short... Stupid curfew... Still great, sent to the beach after the show and the moon was shining on the ocean. Probably 65 degrees out, I wish I could have died then because driving back to 110 and humid was not enjoyable.

Hurt was awesome!

First venue I was at that mad wine as the most prominent smell, not pot or beer...

Ed liked the venue a lot as well, said that on tour most of the venues are like playing inside in the living room while this was like playing in the back yard... though his back yard was not as big as this, or as crowded...

The dancing girl in row 2, really, dancing to every song. When security told her to sit, every one around clapped. Next time, go to the far right and dance in the isle, you wont piss your section off.

I think she was Wooo Hooing during every story and Ed scolded her and said something to the effect of " I can hear you, your just not saying anything, please leave the talking to a professional.

Said he could of played an hour longer, and next time will start the show at 6 pm.

I gotta go sleep now.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    So wait...how does the upgrade work exactly? Does someone randomly come up to you and give you better tickets?
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    G-Fury wrote:
    So wait...how does the upgrade work exactly? Does someone randomly come up to you and give you better tickets?

Yes. I believe it is Jesse Eds security guy. It was right when the gate opened and it was completely random.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    AzWicker wrote:
    G-Fury wrote:

Yes. I believe it is Jesse Eds security guy. It was right when the gate opened and it was completely random.

Oh man I am jealous!