*** EV Tour - Hartford Fanviews Here 06/18/11 ***

Comments

• Newch91 wrote:
    I keep hearing about this Faberge Egg. I probably didn't hear it because of where I was sitting. Was it during the weed story?
    Yes, when he was talking about how he had probably had some of the Triple XXX stuff the time he spent two and a half hours looking at the picture of a faberge egg on the cover of a magazine and found himself walking around inside of it... And then when he gets to the Bushnell, he concludes that it is like the inside of a Faberge egg. What a storyteller he is!
    Lollapalooza @ Great Woods 8-8-92~~CU Field House 11-26-93~~Red Rocks 6-20-95~~Randall's Island 9-28-96~~Randall's Island 9-29-96~~Columbia, Maryland 9-24-96~~EV solo Hartford, CT 6-18-11~~EV solo Albuquerque, NM 11-6-12~~ Denver 10-22-2014~~Fenway II 8-7-2016
  • cent208cent208 Posts: 435
    That was absolutely the best concert I have ever been to in my life. I saw him solo in 09, what an improvement in 2 years. He definitely improved with singing and guitar playing. Incredible set list, Immortality was definitely the highlight of the night followed by a hyped version of unthought known. And to top it off and I got to meet him after the show. The crowd was great singing and clapping to the approtiate songs. I was fortunate not to have any assholes in my area (mezzaine). What a genuinely nice person. I can die now, what a perfect night. I'm going to both NY shows and the Philly show, I don't see how he top this. Thanks
    "The pain is temporary the pride is forever."
  • Clark KentClark Kent Posts: 159
    Hartford really ? crowd couldn't even touch the Boston show. too many drunken donkies in the balcony. this is not Ed's first solo gig. learn a little bit of respect for the man. they are not PJ shows. duh..... i ve been to 16 PJ shows and rocked the hell out of all of them. i ve been to 3 ed shows and jammed at all of them. BIG DIFFERENCE. my buddy was getting pissed at the clowns in balcony f acting like douchebags. i told him don't let them clowns ruin your show. he calmed down and enjoyed the magic that is Eddie Vedder. weak energy from the crowd. nice set list and long too. thanks Ed for all the years and music, i wouldn't know what i would do if you were only a surfer. PEACE OUT ALL..............
    Son of Jor-El
  • KnishKnish Posts: 53
    My wife (attending her first show) and I had front row balcony Sec C for Hartford show. It may have been the haze before the show or the simple fact, that I am locked into the show once the lights drop..I Didn't catch wind of all the nonsense these knuckleheads caused upstairs.. I mean there was almost a fight on the same row I was sitting in...wow...I heard the shout outs from the here and there and thats not going to end anytime soon...
    the section i was in was super chill (short of the women behind me who felt she was entitled to better seats because she is a "huge pj fan" what a douche lady). Get in line sweetheart.

I have seen 50 PJ shows and have sat every where from the 1st few rows of shows to the last row of the upper decks and once the lights went down...it didnt matter.

I just cant understand all the anger...It was a great day to have some drinks, see some rock n roll...whats with the anger people?

Thanks for another great night Ed. My wife now has a better understanding of why our sons middle name is Vedder.
    There are two kinds of women, one that takes your strength, and one that gives you strength

My next Pearl Jam show will be my 50th

• FatalFatal Posts: 821
    Didn't really have any issues with the crowd where i was (i was about 5 rows back close to middle of the venue).

Couple of people chatting on phones during quiet songs but i was able to just block them out. Couple of guys next to me that were definitely into getting shit faced but they were actually great...no knuckleheads around us thankfully.

Oh and i spotted Tom Tomorrow just infront of us.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Raineman311Raineman311 Posts: 124
    I do not know one thing about Glen Hansard. I saw his setlist and was shocked to see that he covered "Astral Weeks". One of my all-time favorite songs. I am hoping he plays this at the Beacon 2. I just youtubed a prior performance, and I am impressed. It is totally different than a Van Morrison performance and now I have to see it live!

Did anyone else enjoy it? Were you allowed to video Glen? :lol:

I knew nothing about Glen myself and was pleasantly surprised with how great he sounded. I loved his set. He also handled himself pretty well when some douchebag from the mezz kept heckling him. After Glen's first song he screamed "LEAVE" at the top of his lungs and Glen was like, "But I just got here". Then he kept yelling God knows what else (I had tuned him out) and Glen said, "I know you're not my audience. But if you were I would totally kick your ass right now" which got a pretty huge ovation from the crowd. And no, I tried to record one of his songs and got shut down by a rather beastly woman usher.
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    I do not know one thing about Glen Hansard. I saw his setlist and was shocked to see that he covered "Astral Weeks". One of my all-time favorite songs. I am hoping he plays this at the Beacon 2. I just youtubed a prior performance, and I am impressed. It is totally different than a Van Morrison performance and now I have to see it live!

I knew nothing about Glen myself and was pleasantly surprised with how great he sounded. I loved his set. He also handled himself pretty well when some douchebag from the mezz kept heckling him. After Glen's first song he screamed "LEAVE" at the top of his lungs and Glen was like, "But I just got here". Then he kept yelling God knows what else (I had tuned him out) and Glen said, "I know you're not my audience. But if you were I would totally kick your ass right now" which got a pretty huge ovation from the crowd. And no, I tried to record one of his songs and got shut down by a rather beastly woman usher.

Leave is the title of one of the songs he played. I loved the the "I know you're not my audience..." comment I thought that was hysterical.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years

Leave is the title of one of the songs he played. I loved the the "I know you're not my audience..." comment I thought that was hysterical.

lol boy I really did know nothing about him, but there was still someone in that section yelling pretty obnoxious things at him.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Long Nights! :shock: :o8-) hopeful for St Louie :D
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,872
    Newch91 wrote:
    Katyz wrote:
    Wow! Those pictures are amazing. I am so glad you got to see him after all your campaigning :D
    Thank you! I thought I might as well try to meet him after everything we did to get him here.

everything you did?

a thread with 6000 posts about bob dylan? ;)
  • When I saw the weather Saturday morning, I had a feeling Saturday was going to be something special...And what a PHENOMENAL night we were blessed with.

Black Bear Pre Party was a lot of fun and raised a nice chunk of change for Advocacy for Patients. Got to meet Jennifer of Advocacy, Anthony, Steve, Gianmarie, Amanda, Katy, tremorchrist and many others that I hope to see again. Thanks so much to those that donated and purchased raffle items - fans were VERY generous.

I bought tickets from a fan club member and to my AMAZEMENT she hands me 8th row on the floor in the orchestra pit - best tickets I've ever had to PJ or EV. Thankyouthankyouthankyou Amanda and 10Club!

The Bushnell was gorgeous, I hadn't been there since I was a kid and I was glad to see that it's been impeccably maintained with top notch service. Glen Hansard was awesome?! He was really a talented musician and completely funny - what a gift to have him as our opener. Glen was far superior to Liam Finn in 2009 or Band of Horses in 2010 - my friends and I are already on the hunt for his music. For those that didn't come in for his set you really missed out.

Once our area started to fill up with fans, everyone in our area was super nice and chatty. Four seats to our immediate right remained vacant until just about five minutes before Eddie came on, which I was surprised by. Then the frat boys arrived... :(

They were friendly at first but during Ed's uke songs were screaming song names. The guy right next to me was told by security to put the phone away 2X. Each one would leave in the middle of a song to go for beers/bathroom every 8 minutes – this baffled me especially considering how many friends I had sitting up on the second level and mezzanine that would have appreciated those seats. While Ed was describing the Clarence dedication, these guys were laughing and yelling. Finally I told them to STFU and SIT THE F DOWN. Everyone around me clapped and then this guy started recording the show again - SECURITY TOSSED HIS ANNOYING ASS! We were so happy.

LOVED hearing Long Nights, Guaranteed, and Unthought Known especially – crowd energy was superb. Hero security guard then let my cousin and I up to the front center stage for Wishlist and EWBTCIAST...was so awesome. Then he sent us back and I thoroughly enjoyed Society, Lukin and Porch. Glen back on stage for Hard Sun was so much fun, Eddie seems to have made a lifelong friend there.

Although I know a lot of fans were entertained by the Faberge Egg rant - I wondered how fans with kids at the show took it. My son is 11 and he is named for Eddie. Considered bringing him but after that story I was glad I didn’t…will wait until he’s 16.

To me, Eddie’s voice and instrumentals are heaven and Saturday was my 2nd favorite show after the Meadows in ’08 – He sounded great and the fact that he played 30 songs for us… I’m still just walking on air with gratitude to have experienced it. I can’t go to PJ20 (teacher) but now after Saturday night - I do NOT feel left out… :D
    Springfield, MA 1994
    Hartford, CT 1998
    Hartford, CT 2006
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Albany, NY 2009
    Hartford, CT 2010
    Hartford, CT 2011
  • I do not know one thing about Glen Hansard. I saw his setlist and was shocked to see that he covered "Astral Weeks". One of my all-time favorite songs. I am hoping he plays this at the Beacon 2. I just youtubed a prior performance, and I am impressed. It is totally different than a Van Morrison performance and now I have to see it live!

Yeah - that was SWEET.
    Springfield, MA 1994
    Hartford, CT 1998
    Hartford, CT 2006
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Albany, NY 2009
    Hartford, CT 2010
    Hartford, CT 2011
  • JaneNY wrote:
    I loved the show. It is my 6th EV solo show. Saying it is better implies the shows from the other tours (08, 09) weren't good, which is certainly NOT the case - I enjoyed myself at every single one in Montreal, Toronto, and Albany. But this was like EV solo 2.0 Just even better in every way I can think of - he sounded so strong, and confident in comparison to the earlier tour. His playing was so good - not one mistake in any song, his voice was the best I've ever heard, and I even felt like he had better control of the crowd - there were some people randomly yelling as usual, but not as many, and it just seemed like he had control of it all better than before. Everyone DID quiet down for un-mic Sleepless Nights, which was beautiful btw.

Arc was a religious experience. Was wonderful to hear Unthought Known, as was the surprise of Sometimes. Last thing I expected to hear! I was in the 1st balcony with evidently quite a few other 10clubbers, and I didn't really make the connection after Ed got the message about Clarence. Probably because being a little further away and there being a little more distraction by various goings on in the balcony, and probably because my brain didn't want to accommodate the idea of Clarence being gone.

The weed story was hilarious. One of the highlights of the solo shows are Ed's stories because he can be so funny. My daughter was snickering next to me about the pg13 and xxx weed comments.

I was only planning to go to one show on the tour, but it is like an addiction. Get one taste back, and then you get reminded of what its like, and want more. If I can manage, I may try for Philly if any seats become available. Its a bear of a drive but I'll do it.

"Ed 2.0" is a good way to put it - I was at Albany 2nd night and I loved it but the Bushnell show was richer for sure.
    Springfield, MA 1994
    Hartford, CT 1998
    Hartford, CT 2006
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Albany, NY 2009
    Hartford, CT 2010
    Hartford, CT 2011
  • -Q- wrote:
    I've been to the 1st three shows and my highlight was last night when Eddie and Glen played Sleepless Nights off mic. the crowd settled down two voices and the uke filled the room,awesome!
    you all need to see Glen at his own shows. a half hour doesn't do him justice you'll walk out a changed person.
    this is the greatest song you might have never heard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPbC2YrUUsI

That was way cool - I liked it.
    Springfield, MA 1994
    Hartford, CT 1998
    Hartford, CT 2006
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Albany, NY 2009
    Hartford, CT 2010
    Hartford, CT 2011
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Although I know a lot of fans were entertained by the Faberge Egg rant - I wondered how fans with kids at the show took it. My son is 11 and he is named for Eddie. Considered bringing him but after that story I was glad I didn’t…will wait until he’s 16.

My twelve-year-old was sitting with me, perked up at the mention of PG-13 pot, asked me if I happened to have any. ;) We don't smoke, but our boys have been to six PJ shows, so we have educated them about marijuana and funny pills that make people think everything is covered with moss. :? I'd rather have them hear about it from us and have the opportunity to demystify things than to make it all more appealing due to taboos, you know?

On the scale of awkward PJ/Ed moments, this one was pretty mild, I thought. It pales in comparison to the exchange between Mike and Ed about Gene Simmons and their moms at Philly 4. :shock: I was sitting with my then-ten-year-old that time, too, and that was the only time I have wanted to crawl through a hole in the floor. :oops:
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Last night was my 5th time seeing Eddie solo and I thought he was spot on. The ukulele songs were nice to start but I really loved hearing the Backspacer songs live. For me the stand outs were Unthought Known and Speed of Sound; which I don't care for as an entire band song, but with Ed alone it was beautiful. The Sleepless Nights duet was another standout with Eddie and Glen just using their voices to fill the room...heartwarming. After the show I waited with about 75-100 people for Ed to come out to the bus. He continues to show what a humble and gracious human being he is by shaking every single persons hand and chit-chatting for a bit. It is nights like this that give me faith in people. Thanks!

So happy for you and all the fans that got to chat with Ed post show. My friends and I hung around til ~ 12:30 then I had to get on the road. Guess I missed him by a half hour - next time I'm booking a room and not leaving that line! 8-)
    Springfield, MA 1994
    Hartford, CT 1998
    Hartford, CT 2006
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Albany, NY 2009
    Hartford, CT 2010
    Hartford, CT 2011
  • Although I know a lot of fans were entertained by the Faberge Egg rant - I wondered how fans with kids at the show took it. My son is 11 and he is named for Eddie. Considered bringing him but after that story I was glad I didn’t…will wait until he’s 16.

My twelve-year-old was sitting with me, perked up at the mention of PG-13 pot, asked me if I happened to have any. ;) We don't smoke, but our boys have been to six PJ shows, so we have educated them about marijuana and funny pills that make people think everything is covered with moss. :? I'd rather have them hear about it from us and have the opportunity to demystify things than to make it all more appealing due to taboos, you know?

On the scale of awkward PJ/Ed moments, this one was pretty mild, I thought. It pales in comparison to the exchange between Mike and Ed about Gene Simmons and their moms at Philly 4. :shock: I was sitting with my then-ten-year-old that time, too, and that was the only time I have wanted to crawl through a hole in the floor. :oops:

That all makes total sense. I don't know the Philly story???
    Springfield, MA 1994
    Hartford, CT 1998
    Hartford, CT 2006
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Albany, NY 2009
    Hartford, CT 2010
    Hartford, CT 2011
  • DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Looking at all the set list Eddie seems to be really bringing it. Are pictures of the concert not being taken by fans? Just wondering since i have not seen anyone post anything.
    My butt itches!
    The Philly story -- um, it's a very vulgar exchange about their moms, starting out innocently enough with Ed retelling how Mike thought the Kiss song went "I want to rock and roll all night and part of every day," and devolving from there into "that's what *she* said," sex and Kiss masks. I'll leave it at that. I was lucky -- both boys were too embarrassed to ask for explanations of what the guys were saying.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    DURP wrote:
    Looking at all the set list Eddie seems to be really bringing it. Are pictures of the concert not being taken by fans? Just wondering since i have not seen anyone post anything.

I think security has been all over people with cameras and camera phones. I didn't even bother taking my phone, just in case.
  • DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    DURP wrote:

I think security has been all over people with cameras and camera phones. I didn't even bother taking my phone, just in case.

Ahhh thanks any reason why?
    My butt itches!
  • TWHoltTWHolt Moncton, NB Posts: 401
    Want to add that Ed changed the lyrics in Betterman from "she loved him" to "I loved him" from there on out. Very moving

"I need him....I want him back again..............."
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|
  • FatalFatal Posts: 821
    DURP wrote:
    DURP wrote:

Ahhh thanks any reason why?

Intimate venue...last think Ed or most fans want is a million flashes going off...
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    for the same reason they don't allow cameras in Broadway theaters. It's distracting to the audience and the artist.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Newch91 wrote:
    I guess you can't view the pictures from the link I sent. Here's the Facebook link:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 1087650091

Dude, the 10th pic on the profile made my day. It's me in the blue tshirt.

I can't get over that short 30sec encounter with Ed Ved.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
  • doujodoujo Posts: 285
    Awesome show. It was sweet that he came to Hartford, about 10 minutes from where I live. Everything was great, like others have mentioned, except for the ushures didn't allow anyone to enter and/or exit the theater to go to the bathroom or get beer during a song. I had to pee real badly and the woman stopped me from leaving. I just walked right by her and she tried to stop me. This is ridiculous. Would they rather me pee at my seat then in the bathroom? I also missed Arc because I wasn't allowed to re-enter the theater. I was stuck outside in the hallway just waiting to be let back in. That's not cool at all.
    Newch91 wrote:
    I guess you can't view the pictures from the link I sent. Here's the Facebook link:

Yeah I noticed that, I'm the one you were talking to outside before the show. You told me "you have a beautiful country" anyway glad you got to meet him, did he sign your Merkinball?
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Newch91 wrote:

Yeah I noticed that, I'm the one you were talking to outside before the show. You told me "you have a beautiful country" anyway glad you got to meet him, did he sign your Merkinball?

Yeah, got his signature on Merkinball as well as Outside Lands'09 setlist!!

Are u making it to NYC shows?
    Wow that's awesome! No I'm done this tour. I should get my passport ready for last minute trip to Canada though, eek...
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

doujo wrote:
    Awesome show. It was sweet that he came to Hartford, about 10 minutes from where I live. Everything was great, like others have mentioned, except for the ushures didn't allow anyone to enter and/or exit the theater to go to the bathroom or get beer during a song. I had to pee real badly and the woman stopped me from leaving. I just walked right by her and she tried to stop me. This is ridiculous. Would they rather me pee at my seat then in the bathroom? I also missed Arc because I wasn't allowed to re-enter the theater. I was stuck outside in the hallway just waiting to be let back in. That's not cool at all.

I wish my section had your ushers. It's weird, during Glen's set they didnt allow a single person back in during a song but while Eddie was playing it was free roam. I had dudes in and out of my aisle all night for beers and bathroom beaks which irritated me the most during "Immortality" and "Unthought Known".