*** EV Tour - Hartford Fanviews Here 06/18/11 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited September 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Bushnell Memorial Hall
Hartford, CT
June 18, 2011

Set List

01. Waving Palms
02. Can't Keep
03. Sleeping By Myself
04. Without You
05. More Than You Know-(Rose, Eliscu, Youmans)
06. Goodbye
07. Broken Heart
08. Light Today
09. Trouble-(Yusuf Islam)
10. Sometimes
11. Just Breathe
12. I Am Mine
13. Betterman (for Clarence Clemons)
14. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard playing bass
15. Far Behind
16. Guaranteed
17. Rise
18. Immortality
19. Unthought Known
20. The End
21. Arc
Encore Break 1
22. Wishlist
23. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
24. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard-(Boudleaux Bryant, Felice Bryant)
25. Society w/ Glen Hansard-(Jerry Hannan)
26. Speed Of Sound
27. Lukin
28. Porch
Encore Break 2
29. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard-(Peterson)
30. Dream A Little Dream-(Gus Kahn, Wilbur Schwandt, Fabian Andree)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

p.s. here's Glen's set too...
Glen Hansard Set List

01. Pennies In The Fountain
02. Low Rising
03. Become
04. Astral Weeks-(Van Morrison)
05. Lucia
06. Leave
07. Good Hope
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gvacircagvacirca Posts: 35
    Rip Clarence clemons
  • ItsOKayeItsOKaye Posts: 191
    Long nights!!! wow
    How did it sound people??
    Im so happy with my righteous self..
  • FatalFatal Posts: 821
    ItsOKaye wrote:
    Long nights!!! wow
    How did it sound people??

It was perfect. Ed mentioned that he could only play it now that he had Glen to help out on base.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• FatalFatal Posts: 821
    gvacirca wrote:
    Rip Clarence clemons

Ed was in the process of dedicating Better Man to Clarence...under the assumption that he was on the mend, when one of the stage people came out and pretty clearly told him the news that Clemons passed. You could tell Ed was visibly emotional and shook up...so was i since it was pretty clear what happened and i'm also an enormous Springsteen fan.

Thoughts and prayers with the Clemons family and beyond...literally a HUGE loss. :-(
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• lowlight79lowlight79 Posts: 205
    Long nights was very good. Quite a sad moment, Ed was telling a story about Clarence and hoping for a good recovery when his roady came out and informed him of the bad news, Ed was upset.
    "Only curfews can keep us down"
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Awesome, awesome show, once again. Rowdy crowd -- everything but the ukulele songs turned into sing-a-longs. We each had our favorite parts. I sat with my twelve-year-old, who was especially happy to hear PJ songs (Sometimes, Just Breathe, I Am Mine, Unthought Known).

I thought Arc was terrific. After hearing Unthought Known at its Newark debut, tonight's performance was a stunning contrast -- everyone singing along, "gems and rhinestones" loud enough to bring down the building.

The Faberge egg story was great; my son liked the idea of PG-13 pot, was so disappointed to learn I was not carrying any. ;) "I got quite an education tonight!"

Glen Hansard gets big thumbs up from all of us -- son says he has a great voice and is a "badass" guitarist. :)

More later, I am sure; we all still are at the "Wow, that was really great!" stage, in which my husband contemplates buying plane tickets and hitting all of the West Coast shows. 8-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Fatal wrote:
    gvacirca wrote:
    Rip Clarence clemons

Ed was in the process of dedicating Better Man to Clarence...under the assumption that he was on the mend, when one of the stage people came out and pretty clearly told him the news that Clemons passed. You could tell Ed was visibly emotional and shook up...so was i since it was pretty clear what happened and i'm also an enormous Springsteen fan.

Thoughts and prayers with the Clemons family and beyond...literally a HUGE loss. :-(

I was wondering about that, since Ed did seem very upset. :(
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • rsonnadrsonnad Posts: 11
    Was it normal EV acoustic fast Lukin or MSG II '10 Slow Lukin?
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Best show out of the four Ed shows I've seen. Ed was spot on, no hiccups..... Amazing.

Too many highlights to even make sense of it right now. Rip Clarence ...... :( I couldn't believe he passed.

Best part of this show was that I had no plans to be here, just saw the drop of tickets yesterday and couldn't pass up.

That's what's special about Ed and the band..... A true gift to us all

I have Beacon for Wednesday and Letterman for Monday....... I don't think Ed could top tonite for me,, Ya never know ;)
    It was fast Lukin -- very fast, with thousands of back-up singers.
  • BubbaBubba Posts: 630
    edited June 2011
    Amazing! Definitely could tell Ed was shooken up when he got the new about Clarence.

Long Nights was incredible, Immortality and Unthought Known were highlights for me but the entire night was one I will never forget!

Also, get in to see Glen, you won't be disappointed!
    Post edited by Bubba on
  • bry321f11bry321f11 Posts: 326
    Immortality was one of my top highlights of all the 10 Ed shows I have been to. Just amazing. Something even a little more different the when he played it in Boston two nights ago. just amazing.

overall..Once again..amazing experience...
  • SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,440
    Ed!
    Please play "Long Nights" at the first night of the Beacon!
  • FastrichieFastrichie Sandy Hook, CT Posts: 915
    Awesome show tonight. Definitely could see Ed was shaken up when he heard the news that Clarence passed away. Lots of fun sing alongs and it was nice to be able to stand in the front for the second half of the show.
    04/06/94 Springfield, 04/17/94 NYC, 10/02/96 Hartford, 11/14/97 Oakland, 09/08/98 NJ, 09/10/98 MSG, 09/11/98 MSG, 09/13/98 Hartford, 08/24/00 Jones Beach, 08/25/00 Jones Beach 04/30/03 Uniondale, 07/08/03 MSG, 07/09/03 MSG, 09/28/04 Boston, 10/01/05 Borgata, 10/03/05 Philly, 05/13/06 Hartford 05/25/06 Boston, 06/01/06 NJ, 06/03/06 NJ, 08/05/07 Chicago, 06/24/08 MSG, 06/25/08 MSG, 06/27/08 Hartford, 06/30/08 Mansfield, 07/01/08 The Beacon, 08/21/09 Toronto, 10/27/09 Philly, 10/28/09 Philly, 10/30/09 Philly, 10/31/09 Philly, 05/15/2010 Hartford, 05/17/2010 Boston, 05/20/2010 MSG, 05/21/2010 MSG, Montreal 09/07/2011, Philly 09/01/2012, Wrigley 07/19-20,2013, Worcester 10/16/13, Brooklyn 10/18, Brooklyn 10/19/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Ed Sullivan 09/23/2015, Central Park 09/26/2015 Philly 04/29/2016. MSG 05/01/2016, MSG 05/02/2016, Fenway 08/05/2016, Fenway 08/07/2016, Brooklyn 04/07/2017, Seattle 08/08/2018, Seattle 08/10/2018, Chicago 08/20/2018, Fenway 09/02/2018, Fenway 09/04/2018, Asbury Park 09/18/2021, Apollo Theater 09/10/2022, MSG 09/11/2022, Camden 09/14/2022

• opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    What an experience!
    My first EV solo show, and boy was I blown away. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect songwise or atmosphere wise, but in both areas he exceeded my expectations.
    Not sure about highlights right now, gotta sit on it for a little while, but the one part that really sticks out in my mind was Unthought Known. Finally getting the singalong that song deserves.
    I wondered if the guitar doctor had told Ed that Clarence died, as I didn't know yet either. A sad moment for music and a great tribute to him for and from all of us.
    I'm hoping to be able to make it to the Seattle show (my mom wants to go again, and we'll be in town that week), so we'll see.
    Also I may or may not know about a recording, but since its not allowed...Well, ya know ;)
    Thanks for a great night Ed!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Gratitude. Lots of it. Thank you get_right for hooking me up-unforgettable!!! Amazing on many levels for me... Getting the ticket hook up, His voice, crowd vibe, song choices (esp. Immortality) & since I do not live on either coast or in Chicago seeing him had to be tied in with a trip to see fam. Again, gratitude. I am feeling it big time. Thanks for hitting Hartford, Ed!! It. Was. Amazing.
    Lollapalooza @ Great Woods 8-8-92~~CU Field House 11-26-93~~Red Rocks 6-20-95~~Randall's Island 9-28-96~~Randall's Island 9-29-96~~Columbia, Maryland 9-24-96~~EV solo Hartford, CT 6-18-11~~EV solo Albuquerque, NM 11-6-12~~ Denver 10-22-2014~~Fenway II 8-7-2016
    Want to add that Ed changed the lyrics in Betterman from "she loved him" to "I loved him" from there on out. Very moving
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Seen Ed on 3 of his east coast tours, and by far this felt like the best show. He was spot on and didn't fuck up once that I could hear. The crowd was amazing, I think Hartford was trying to give Eddie a reason never to skip our little city again, and we did the job quite well. Unthought Known was a massive amazing sing a along, rivaling Small Town in terms of participation.

Betterman was solemn, and it was head scratching when the tech walked out and whispered something in his ear, and then Ed didn't relay a message to us. Learned from the guy next to me later in the show that Clarence had died.

Long Nights might be my favorite song on Into the Wild and it was so amazing live, it was spot on and I knew from the instant he said he'd never tried this one, it was going to be that song.

Immortality is amazing solo, so much energy from just the man and his guitar. The "Cannot stop the thought..." is simply mind blowing.

Lukin was another highlight, Ed had told us that the song before was his last slow song, then right before playing this he said "Oh, one more slow one." I told my buddy bullshit, the next ones Lukin, and I was right.

What a great night and show, almost makes up for the fact that I don't have a PJ show lined up at the moment. Oh and a HUGE thumbs up to Glen Hansaard, what a great performance, guy knows how to light up a room with just his voice and guitar. If you haven't seen him yet you're in for a treat.
    32 shows and counting...
  • DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    Want to add that Ed changed the lyrics in Betterman from "she loved him" to "I loved him" from there on out. Very moving

think he was also singing "can't find a bigger man" at the end.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
    DPrival78 wrote:

think he was also singing "can't find a bigger man" at the end.

That he was
  • KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    I always knew Ed had an amazing voice, but tonight...my first time hearing him live...I was blown away. I actually had no idea how much better he is live and he is my favorite singer already!!!! Tonight was beyond words. He dedicated Just Breathe to his friends and their significant others and I silently dedicated it to Sammy, my son....so it was the most emotional song for me. Long Nights made my night because I didn't think it was going to be played, and ...well, I need to stop as I could go on all night and so much has been said already.
    One last thing though, When Ed heard the sad news about Clarence, he was a true professional and kept the night special for the crowd...that really impressed me as he must have been very upset.

So...until tomorrow when I rant on some more...I thank MR. Vedder for the best concert I have ever been to!
  • mikepmikep Posts: 290
    edited June 2011
    man, great show,

much more lively than boston in terms of audience energy and participation. Long nights, immortality, unthought known great highlights, and lovely extra encore after hard sun which was totally needed b/c the crowd was too loud and would have been a little dissapointing otherwise in that sense. just a great night in general, preparty and show and looks like it was a good time. Sorry to hear about clarence of course.

oh, the acappela (sp) version of sleepless nights was quite precious to everyone as well!
    m
    Post edited by mikep on
    96-11-Tor; 03-Mont; 05,13-London;05-Kitchnr, Hamltn; 06-Deroit;08-Mont(EV); 09-Albany(EV), Philly3&4; 10,13-Buff;10-NYC, Mt View; 11-(EV) Boston,Hart,Det,PJ20,Ott,Hamltn,Winnpg,Sask,Cal,Edmntn,Van; 12-Missoula; 13-Wrigley,Pitts,Port,Spok,Cal,Van,Sea.
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    I think he also put in there "I'll miss you" or something like that into Betterman and that's when I knew that was the news EV had gotten. Though why they would tell him during the show I'll never know.

Amazing show from start to finish.
  • HOLY SHIT! We couldn't have dreamed up a better day. From meeting new friends at the pre-party to the epic show to meeting people waiting for Ed AND MEETING ED FOR THE FIRST TIME TOO! The Betterman rendition was awesome. Lukin into Porch was amazing. The crowd was absolutely on fire. One of the best shows we've been to. This one will be hard to top. Here we come, PJ20! Wish we had more seats for the solo tour. Back to FL tomorrow. Hungover and high off the Ed meet-and-greet. Thanks to everyone we met and we hope to see you at Alpine Valley. :D
    I'm still alive..
  • Katyz wrote:
    I always knew Ed had an amazing voice, but tonight...my first time hearing him live...I was blown away. I actually had no idea how much better he is live and he is my favorite singer already!!!! Tonight was beyond words. He dedicated Just Breathe to his friends and their significant others and I silently dedicated it to Sammy, my son....so it was the most emotional song for me. Long Nights made my night because I didn't think it was going to be played, and ...well, I need to stop as I could go on all night and so much has been said already.
    One last thing though, When Ed heard the sad news about Clarence, he was a true professional and kept the night special for the crowd...that really impressed me as he must have been very upset.

So...until tomorrow when I rant on some more...I thank MR. Vedder for the best concert I have ever been to!

Great to meet you and glad you enjoyed your first show!!!
    I'm still alive..
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Will write tomorrow. I'll say one thing:

Hartford raised the bar EXTREMELY high for the rest of the tour.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Newch91 wrote:
    Will write tomorrow. I'll say one thing:

Hartford raised the bar EXTREMELY high for the rest of the tour.

I'm hoping the last night of the tour will top them all!!! :mrgreen::D
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • marc34marc34 Boston MA Posts: 221
    Yea I felt like something was up when the tech whispered to Ed. Really strange timimg, as he was dedicating betterman just like he did in Providence
    Hartford 96
    Mansfield 98 x 2
    Mansfield 00 x2
    Mansfield 03 x 3
    Boston 04 VFC x 2
    Hartford 06
    Boston 06 x 2
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield 08 x 2
    EV Boston 08 x 2
    Hartford 10
    Boston 10
    EV Providence 11
    EV Boston 11
    EV Hartford 11
    Worcester 13 x 2
    Hartford 13
    Buffalo 13
    Baltimore 13
    Fenway 2016 x 2
    Hot Stove 2017
    Fenway 2018 x 2
  • What a show. Glen Hansard was awesome. Eddie was so on. He was in a good mood, other than when he got the Clarence Clemons news, and in great voice. WOW. Immortality, Wishlist, all the Backspacer stuff, it will be a hard show to top. Hard Sun just blew everyone away.
  • OwlOwl Posts: 1,062
    Sea wrote:
    14. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard playing bass

w00t??? :o :shock: :o :shock:
    Can't believe it finally made it to the show!

Very, very sad news about Clarence :(