A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Davidtrios wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    go Rob Stark

wow, I am so into this show, great episode last night

i'm with you ! this show kicks ass...
    however, im not too fond of the super natural element...the whitewalkers dont add anything to the plot...i think it's good enough without the zombies

What is your feeling about dragons? ;)
    mca47 wrote:
    I was really sad when sword fighter/dancer guy got killed. :(
    I loved seeing him destroy those guards...too bad he didn't have a real sword!!

I must of missed it.

Was he killed in that scene?
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Wilds wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    go Rob Stark

however, im not too fond of the super natural element...the whitewalkers dont add anything to the plot...i think it's good enough without the zombies

there are dragons? i only saw dragon eggs in some episodes
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    Wilds wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

I must of missed it.

I think it was implied when Arya ran away.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    Wilds wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    go Rob Stark

Ha!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    rrivers wrote:
    Wilds wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

I must of missed it.

Yeah Syrio Forel the "Dancing Instructor" is a fan favorite. His death isn't shown so I guess you can't say 100% he is gone but it does seem to be implied.

As for dragons and white walkers the series isn't too heavy on the fantasy elements at least not through the first 4 books although it does seem that they will become more important as the series draws to a close.

If you are not a huge fan of it though don't worry you have at least 4-5 seasons before I think it would become an important part of it. Do keep in mind though this is a fantasy series not a period piece. (that is my spoiler free response lol)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Sorry If I've given spoilers.... just thought it was obvious with all the shit going on.

Dragon Eggs. Dragon Skulls. Next book is called Dance With Dragons.

I think the book and show was very specific to NOT show Syrio's death.

My feeling is he pops back up sometime. That is not a spoiler.... I have no idea, just a hunch.
    Wilds wrote:
    Sorry If I've given spoilers.... just thought it was obvious with all the shit going on.

That's funny.

Normally I would roll my eyes at a story with dragons, but the way it is handled I really like. I'm about 300 pages into the 3rd book and I still can't wait to pick it up every day.
    rrivers wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

That's funny.

Normally I would roll my eyes at a story with dragons, but the way it is handled I really like. I'm about 300 pages into the 3rd book and I still can't wait to pick it up every day.
    yeah i haven't read fantasy in years, but the way martin handles things it is just not like the fantasy i used to read as a teenager.

Since Martin has opened my eyes though there are some other series i'm willing to give a shot that i think could be fun, but i'm keeping my book reading clear until July 12 when the marathon to devour Dance with Dragons starts :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

That's funny.

yeah i haven't read fantasy in years, but the way martin handles things it is just not like the fantasy i used to read as a teenager.

Since Martin has opened my eyes though there are some other series i'm willing to give a shot that i think could be fun, but i'm keeping my book reading clear until July 12 when the marathon to devour Dance with Dragons starts :)

You should try out Brandon Sanderson.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    or Tad Williams
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    I think Janny Wurts and Steven Erickson's series are near the top of my i might dive into next list, but ....

I appreciate the suggestiosn as i've considered both Tad Williams and Brandon Sanderson because I've heard good about both.

I just read so damn slow :( It takes me forever to read these 1000 page books

oh also Guy Gavriel Kay is one that interest me. and people seem to like patrick rothfuss
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I think Janny Wurts and Steven Erickson's series are near the top of my i might dive into next list, but ....

I appreciate the suggestiosn as i've considered both Tad Williams and Brandon Sanderson because I've heard good about both.

I just read so damn slow :( It takes me forever to read these 1000 page books

oh also Guy Gavriel Kay is one that interest me. and people seem to like patrick rothfuss

I enjoy Rothfuss though his last book had some fantastic parts and then really dragged for me near the end. I read Rothfuss' new book (900+ pages), then "A Clash of Kings" Thrones book 2 (900 + pages), and now "Storm of Swords" Thrones book 3 (1000 + pages). I am going to try to finish it and the fourth book by July so I can go right into Dance with Dragons. If I make it, I think I will need a long break from fantasy!!!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    intodeep wrote:

Yeah Syrio Forel the "Dancing Instructor" is a fan favorite. His death isn't shown so I guess you can't say 100% he is gone but it does seem to be implied.
    [/quote]

Yeah, while it's not 100% certain he died, it's pretty obvious he got killed. By not showing his death, I feel it made that scene sooo much better. Syrio protecting Arya, only to have his practice sword break, him telling her to run and standing and fighting/getting killed honorably. It made the scene much more powerful and sad by not showing his death.
    Tonights show BETTER be amazing.
    I mean it should as long as they don't mess it up and so far they haven't botched much in my opinion
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    HOLY SHIT!!!

what an episode!

i did not see any of that coming..... i am totally hooked on this show.

i want the books but someone told me one is like 1000 pages...i can remember when i went entire semesters of grad school without reading 1000 pages..
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Fuck me sideways!!!!

That did NOT just happen!!! :o :shock:
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    mca47 wrote:
    Fuck me sideways!!!!

That did NOT just happen!!! :o :shock:

Yeah, when I started reading the books last summer I was shock by what happened to Eddard Stark. For people not knowing what is going to happen I can see that moment blowing peoples minds....mainly because his character is played by Sean Bean, who is the most recognizable actor on the show.

Don't you just want to punch Joffrey in the face??? :lol:

This series gets better and better and its really interesting to see which characters the storyline begins to center upon.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    i want the books but someone told me one is like 1000 pages...i can remember when i went entire semesters of grad school without reading 1000 pages..

I am much like you i can't remember when i've read a book more then 400 pages, but I was so hooked i read all four in a row. It really is addicting, and i promise the books are better then the show. Here is how they break down:
    Game of Thrones-835 pages
    Clash of Kings 1009
    Storm of Swords- 1216
    Feast for Crows-1104
    (all paperback)

The new one a dance with dragos will be close to the size of A Storm of Swords
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    The ending of this episode was done real well and seems to have had the shocking effect it should of. There were moments before this when reading that i knew i really liked it but this one was the game changer. You knew no one was safe. I mean Ned was my fav going into this. I thought for sure Ned was getting shipped up to the wall and him and Jon Snow were going to kick some magical creature ass and it was on like donkey kong

Then the killed him :cry:

Yeah Joffrey is one of those guys you wouldn't mind seeing tortured. He somehow made Cersie look "not so bad" which is a hard thing to do.

All that said i hated this episode. Possibly my least fav so far. They left A LOT out some things i thought were very important are left out, but i won't bore those who have not read the books with my nerd rage over this.

I will end on a good note though. The end scene with Ned was fantastic. I literally got butterflies when i saw arya running to the sept. It made me pretty sad. I give HBO a thumbs up for that at least
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Thought it was a fantastic episode. I kind of saw Ned not surviving but I thought they did the ending very well. Did not see the Targaryean angle on the wall with John Snow. And I'm sure the Horse magic is going to have some dire consequences with the Dothraki story line. And I can't wait to see what Rob does with Jamie Lannister, I would hope he dies a painful death, but that seems too easy wiht the way things work in this series.

I like how every action that one takes has consequences with things that happen latter. I would think Joffery deciding to execute Ned will be the same way.

Can't wait to see the finale. Sucks we will have to wait a year for season 2.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    So... based on the comments from this thread, I downloaded the first episode and then I waited impatiently for the rest of the others. What a great series! I did a mini marathon yesterday and watched almost all (had to wait for someone to upload episode 9- will watch that later today)

I'm still confused about the characters- who is who- but for the most part, I can follow along. I agree that Joffrey looks like an oompa loompa. He looks off and not very handsome. And it seems a bit rushed in the pacing- but I figured they had to put a lot in just 10 episodes.

Overall, a great series to watch and I think this will be my summer reading series. I'm a fast reader, so hopefully I won't be burned out by the time I reach the last published book

too bad its such a short season. I remember when shows would go to 22 episodes before the season ends and then come back 3-4 months later. I'm not a fan of the long hiatus.
    i hope the Imp ends up on the throne.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Tyrion having power and running shit in Kings Landing?

That would be interesting to watch and a lot of fun :)

If Robert was all about Warring and Whoring Tyrion would be all about Whoreing and Whoring :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Agreed about them leaving out a lot in the past episode. Hopefully HBO realizes the potential of this show and expands the future seasons. Lots of great characters introduced that need to be properly developed.

Can't wait for the last scene of the finale. It will be a nice cliffhanger for those that don't already know the story.

Now back to reading "A Feast For Crows" :D
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

intodeep wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Tyrion having power and running shit in Kings Landing?

That would be interesting to watch and a lot of fun :)

If Robert was all about Warring and Whoring Tyrion would be all about Whoreing and Whoring :)

i think peter dinkledge is a great actor and his character is really interesting- smart, funny, clever...
    edited June 2011
    intodeep wrote:
    The ending of this episode was done real well and seems to have had the shocking effect it should of. There were moments before this when reading that i knew i really liked it but this one was the game changer. You knew no one was safe. I mean Ned was my fav going into this. I thought for sure Ned was getting shipped up to the wall and him and Jon Snow were going to kick some magical creature ass and it was on like donkey kong

Yeah Joffrey is one of those guys you wouldn't mind seeing tortured. He somehow made Cersie look "not so bad" which is a hard thing to do.

All that said i hated this episode. Possibly my least fav so far. They left A LOT out some things i thought were very important are left out, but i won't bore those who have not read the books with my nerd rage over this.

I will end on a good note though. The end scene with Ned was fantastic. I literally got butterflies when i saw arya running to the sept. It made me pretty sad. I give HBO a thumbs up for that at least

I actually thought this was the best episode thus far.
    I really thought every aspect of it was well done. Granted, I didn't read the books so they may have left out a bunch of stuff...but I thought everything from what was going on with Jon and the wall, learning about the Targarian connection to the Jorah connection. Then seeing what was going on with Jorah, the Dothraki and the witch to seeing Tyrion and Bronn sitting around playing a drinking game prior to going to war, which was a distraction in order for Robb to attack Jaime's camp...and capture him. Yeah, while sad, that end scene was awesome.
    I'm still shocked by them killing off Ned!! I really thought he was going to be a main character throughout the entire story. I really thought he'd be shipped off to the wall with Jon, and the two of them later being pulled away legally or illegally to take part in something else down the line. Crazy!
    Two things:
    1) I'm really, really looking forward to what Robb does to Jaime!! Assuming he finds out about his father's death while Jaime is captured...this is gonna be fantastic! I also want to see Cersie's reaction when she finds out that he's been captured.
    2) As others have said, I really want to punch Geoffrey in the face. What a little fucker! I really hope Arya or Sansa takes him out!
    Post edited by mca47 on
    intodeep wrote:

That's interesting.
    I liked the episode. I thought they handed the ending perfectly. I was shocked when that happened in the book. My only problem with the episode was I thought they spent too much time with Tyrion and the drinking game. I know they needed to get the story out about his marriage, but it just seemed like it dragged on. That might be because I knew what was coming!

I'm also a little torn on the lack of the battle scenes shown. I understand they can't so a Helm's Deep scene for every battle for a number of reasons, but it still felt rushed when they were done with two battles (the one Tyrion passed out for and when Robb took Jamie) in five minutes!
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Next week is the finale for season one? I guess now I have to read the books. I can't believe how much I love this show.

One question - I still don't understand who the guy is who's sort of the advisor to Daenerys. Can someone explain him to me please? Thanks.
    Enkidu wrote:
    Next week is the finale for season one? I guess now I have to read the books. I can't believe how much I love this show.

One question - I still don't understand who the guy is who's sort of the advisor to Daenerys. Can someone explain him to me please? Thanks.

His name is Jorah Mormont. He was exiled from the seven kingdoms by Eddard Stark for selling slaves I believe and he fled to Westeros. His father is Jeor Mormont, who is actually the leader of the knights watch on the wall. John Snow was assigned to him and saved his life recently. In the most recent episode Jeor gives his family sword to John. That sword was supposed to go to Jorah, but he left it behind when he went to Westeros.
    PJ: