Options

Who here gets shit for loving this band?

Comments

• Options
    since i'm 31, people my age know who they are.

but i get shit for the MONEY i spend on them and the time off from work to go to shows. My husband tells me I'm nuts and occasionally vetos me, and my parents and friends are always going "how can you afford to go to all these shows??" Somehow, these friends manage to go to 1-2 shows per tour and be content with that. But then i have other friends who always can go to 2-3 more shows than me per tour, and i'm always jealous. (those are usually the vetoed ones, and usually for good reason)
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    You should keep your love of the band to yourself, or express it to the proper audience. I've found that most people couldn't give a shit less about Pearl Jam. It's easy to spot the fans visually or by talking to them.
  • Options
    I was 9 when Ten came out and I remember me and my friend were obsessed with the video for jeremy. we bought the Cd and never stopped listening. PJ won't ever be truly appreciated by the masses until they get a HOF induction or something like that. Don't sweat it. At that time, you can sleep easy knowing you were a fan all along.
    Yeah, I cant wait for that.. 2016.

It's weird if PJ comes out with a new HIT song.. it wont even get played on the NEW mtv.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    I think its awesome there are so many young fans. I'm 30 and I've been a fan pretty much since the beginning, and my friends all know who they are. But I work with a lot of younger people and they have no clue. They know Fall Out Boy or All American Rejects or whomever the hell is popular now. They might know Even Flow because of Guitar Hero.

Its hard to imagine people not knowing them, because when I was a teenager they were all you ever heard on the radio and otherwise. I guess that's just me getting old :) But I was at the mall a few days ago and I had on a Vs shirt and some guy comes up to me. Couldn't have been more than 15 or so. And he knew all about the band and we talked for about 30 minutes. That sort of thing gives me hope for today's youth ;)
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    on a daily basis.

bring it on.
    nice shirt
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    I don't really get shit that much. The folks at work just think it is odd but cool that I travel so much and collect all this crap.

I share an office with another guy at work and he just started about 3 weeks ago. When I talked to him the first time he said that about 6 people from work told him he would need to like Pearl Jam because of where his office was.

It is bugging me that PJ doesn't come to Indy anymore. It would be cool to get some of these folks to a show.
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    I don't really... But I don't talk about them all the time or anything, though my friends know they are my favorite. They like some songs at least...

Not sure what being born the year before they came out has to do with anything though. I was born in '89 and have loved them my whole life. And how popular are bands like Led Zeppelin and Metallica? Still popular with people my age.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    kylan11kylan11 Posts: 20
    I am 3X and I have been a huge fan since day one. I love this band and everyone I know knows it. I rarely get shit for it, but everyone now and then, it does happen. I pretty much respond with a simple, "fuck you" or fuck off".
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Not me. After 81 shows and 5 continents, the shit peddlers just shake their heads and mutter alot.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    F5F5 Posts: 791
    I understand it a little. I remember back when I was trying to get into the band when I was 17. (I'm 22 now) A couple of my friends were absolutely obsessed with them and I couldn't understand why. They kept telling me how amazing they were and my friend Josh ended up making me a copy of Riot Act. But at the time I was more into the music of my generation (mostly from the Nu-metal scene) and after giving Riot Act one listen I wasn't impressed. I told my friends I thought they were ok. I remember one day when we were hanging out they showed me the Evolution video from the touring band DVD and I loved it. Shortly after that I listened to Yield and well I was hooked. But as far as people giving you a hard time for liking PJ I think its just because your in high school. Everyone wants to seem cool by telling you they suck. I remember when I was a senior this freshman girl kept telling me they sucked and that AFI was so much better. Ha! It still makes me laugh. But you should be glad your into a band that not everyone and their uncle likes.
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    NoonieNoonie Posts: 93
    Does it matter? I'm sure Rush fans get a lot more shit then you and I could ever imagine (lol, no offence to any Rush fans out there, just an example)
    My point is, yes, it's annoying when people are disrespectful about your taste in music, but... to each his own.
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • Options
    Noonie wrote:
    Does it matter? I'm sure Rush fans get a lot more shit then you and I could ever imagine (lol, no offence to any Rush fans out there, just an example)
    My point is, yes, it's annoying when people are disrespectful about your taste in music, but... to each his own.
    I love Rush! Can't say I've met someone who didn't. Thats funny.
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    nofxernofxer Posts: 18
    I think it's been a little different for me cos the one thing everyone knows about me is how much i dig music, so naturally i surround myself with other music fans. All my flatmates i have converted to pj a couple of years back, still their favourite band now, it's great. I always fuel their fandom by making them mix cds of bootlegs for them to play in their cars, everyone else knows me enough to know that pj is my fave so for all the music ive introuduced them too it must be pretty good!

I often find though that when i first meet people they have such a strange idea of who pearl jam is. THey recall betterman and last kiss (i'm 22 by the way), but it's nothing a mix cd with insignificance and go can't resolve lol
  • Options
    nofxernofxer Posts: 18
    I remember when I was a senior this freshman girl kept telling me they sucked and that AFI was so much better. Ha! It still makes me laugh. But you should be glad your into a band that not everyone and their uncle likes.

AFI is actually pretty amazing, they are to the emo generation what the Smashing Pumpkins were to 90's kids. Infact I think sing the sorrow is the best alternative album since mellon collie. In a thread about people giving u shit for ur favourite band you shouldn't give judgement on AFI when i have a feeling you have only seen some of their image based music videos. Remember it's a different generation, once you understand what the new generation cares about it all makes sense and is just as valid.
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    *raises hand* I get it from my sister, from my teachers, and my closest friends.

Dude you were born a year before they came out, they sound like shit, he mumbles. All of this shit.. I just wish that they can open their ears, and see what it's all about.

Did you ever wish that you can turn everyone into a fan? Because you enjoy it so much, that you cant understand why others dont?
    hey did you go to staten island tech?
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    allstar340 wrote:
    hey did you go to staten island tech?
    na Tottenville.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Honestly, not that much. I think my Pearl Jam talk just go in one ear and out the other. :p After a couple minutes I'll just change the subject...

I think 75% of the people I know either like their hits, respect their artistry or know who they are. The other perfectage just don't know them, and a few hate them.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    na Tottenville.
    alright.
    sorry, thought i knew you, at tech the teachers give me shit about it all the time.
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    nofxer wrote:
    AFI is actually pretty amazing, they are to the emo generation what the Smashing Pumpkins were to 90's kids. Infact I think sing the sorrow is the best alternative album since mellon collie. In a thread about people giving u shit for ur favourite band you shouldn't give judgement on AFI when i have a feeling you have only seen some of their image based music videos. Remember it's a different generation, once you understand what the new generation cares about it all makes sense and is just as valid.
    Your probably right I can't say I've listened to that album. I sure hated all their radio hits and videos. I even saw them live during a festival show a few years back and my friends and I made fun of them and their singer the whole time. People kept looking at us like they were going to kill us :p but I'll have to give it a listen.
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    NoonieNoonie Posts: 93
    I love Rush! Can't say I've met someone who didn't. Thats funny.
    Really? I don't really know them, but every single reference that I have ever heard of them was, well... mean.
    It just always gets me thinking about how it would make me feel, hearing that kind of shit said about my favorite band in the world...
    But to answer the op's question- no, I don't get shit for loving Pearl Jam. some strange looks now and then... but no shit, lol.
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • Options
    nofxer wrote:

:D
    “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
    — Lao Tzu
  • Options
    Noonie wrote:
    Really? I don't really know them, but every single reference that I have ever heard of them was, well... mean.
    It just always gets me thinking about how it would make me feel, hearing that kind of shit said about my favorite band in the world...
    But to answer the op's question- no, I don't get shit for loving Pearl Jam. some strange looks now and then... but no shit, lol.
    They're awesome. You have to appreciate classic rock though. Listen to a few of the classics
    2112 Overture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQtF85Y2YtA
    Fly By Night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs07hbaKvug
    Sprit of Radio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tq-UsaRchI

If you get into those pick up the greatest hits titled "The Spirit of Radio" its a good place to start.
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    Well I mean where I live, Staten Island all the younger kids are into Rap Hip Hop, and pop rock. So no one truly appreciates REAL GOOD rock and roll anymore. I feel im doing a good deed in the PJ community keeping the spirit alive among the young masses lol.

Keep up the good work,. dont let the spirit die !!!!
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    Well I mean where I live, Staten Island all the younger kids are into Rap Hip Hop, and pop rock. So no one truly appreciates REAL GOOD rock and roll anymore. I feel im doing a good deed in the PJ community keeping the spirit alive among the young masses lol.
    glad you said it
    im 16 and going strong. in fact i have about 8 friends who are pearl jam, 3 of which i brought with me to msg I, my first pearl jam show ever, because i knew they would love them even though they only vaguely knew them at the time. and they're pretty big fans now.
    and its not all the younger kids its just the majority, at my school there are shit loads of people who listen to good rock and roll, and are frequent concert goers like myself.

i really hate staten island though :(
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440

Hell where you live they all come down to my town in the summer( when they are 21) and ginny it up... haha

i kid i kid
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    *raises hand* I get it from my sister, from my teachers, and my closest friends.

Dude you were born a year before they came out, they sound like shit, he mumbles. All of this shit.. I just wish that they can open their ears, and see what it's all about.

Did you ever wish that you can turn everyone into a fan? Because you enjoy it so much, that you cant understand why others dont?

Take it from an "old person", most people never "get it" about alot of subjects. I always prefer the "road less taken". Besides, the fewer people we convert to fans, the better are chances of getting tickets, posters, etc.
    :)
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    Just tell those kids..."trust me dude...my band is better than your band."
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    Not really me. I never blast or try forcing my friends to like my music.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options

Haha... a friend of mine lives in Staten Island. He is 26... but from what he tells me, it sounds like things haven't changed with teenagers in S.I.

He LOVES rap music, but appreciates it mostly for lyrical content, as I think most rap should be.

Anyway... I too have tried to get him into rock, of coarse starting with PJ. He knows how much I love them, and has really given it an honest try. So you've got another person trying to get Pearl Jam going in S.I.

I guess my friend said it best (please, no offense intended):
    "I had a choice to either grow up a wigger, or a guido. I chose the wigger route."

haha...
    10c #TBD

"They said timing was everything, made him want to be everywhere,...there's a lot to be said for nowhere."
    "Let them wash away,... all those yesterdays."

09/10/98, 08/23/00, 08/24/00, 08/25/00, 04/30/03, 07/09/03, 07/14/03, 06/01/06, 06/03/06, 06/24/08, 06/25/08
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    i get shit for still loving the same band i loved when i was 19 ... and being in their fan club :o
    impatience is a gift ........