Options

I Have Failed as a Parent and PJ Fan, Help Needed

Comments

• Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    Yeah, but your from Scotland and you guys like Hasselhoff, right? So Bon Jovi must be like the 2nd Coming.
    hahaha, you seem to have us confused with the crazy hasselhoff loving germans!

he has never broken scotland. thankfully.
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    guitar_daveyguitar_davey Posts: 111
    Give me a break. Why does everyone think they failed their kids when at the age of 8 they don't listen to PJ. Get real man. Your kids have their own personalities. Get over it. There are more important things in life. How's their health? Do they call you daddy (and not someone else cause you work so much)? Do you tell them you love them and do they tell you they love you? Priorities. Though I wanted my kids to like the music I listened to, you win some, you lose some. Took my boys to Randall's Island back in 96. Each one has gone to subsequent shows with me. Yet, if not for me they wouldn't go out of their way for PJ. My daughter could care less about PJ. Oh well. They have their own music. Your kids will have theirs, too. Yet, down the road you'll be going to a PJ show with them in tow. Enjoy them for who they are, not for who or what you want them to be.

Well said! I doubt there are many PJ fans on here who had it force fed to them. it's rock music--I really really connect with it, but not everybody is going to for whatever reason.

You've "failed" your kids if they treat other people badly or they bully other kids, or they shoplift. Wow..dramatic!
  • Options
    guitar_daveyguitar_davey Posts: 111
    Give me a break, dude. Seriously. I think it is asinine when parents assume that by being the "cool dad" they will automatically raise some miniature version of Eddie Vedder from the get-go.
    I have an 11 year old girl & she couldn't care LESS about PJ. Her idea of hell, I'm sure, would be to have to sit through an entire concert.

I have the kind of job that allows me to travel with many musicians and expose my daughter to just about every type of music any good PJ fan could want to expose their kids to. You know what my daughter does 3/4 of the time we're out on tour? Plays chess with the bus driver and researches alternative fuel sources. If she wants to be around me, she'll come find me- and then fall asleep on the soundboard.

Kids decide what they like. Better to have them exposed to everything & go through a good Jonas Brothers phase and get over that than to only be exposed to one thing & become a mindless idiot.

Get over it.

I also concur with this poster on every point!
  • Options
    When I was 8 I liked Shaun Cassidy and the Bay City Rollers. But I also loved Elvis as much as my dad did. As soon as I heard FM radio for the 1st time at 12 years old I found my rock n roll passion. Now at 39 with a 6 month old I plan to have him see me enjoying my music so it always reminds him of our happy times together when he hears it. We dance around the kitchen to PJ all of the time!
  • Options
    Finally, someone who did not take this seriously! Thank you for having a sense of humor!

I am quite concerned that someone on this thread is going to call child services on me!

You wit is only superceded by your intelligence.
    i liked your post! we have to have humor and wit in our lives as parents!
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    CityMouse wrote:
    If you weren't being serious, why did you put in all that stuff about how you don't have access to what your kids listen to and stuff? it sounded like a serious post to me.

You are absolutely right! (This point was going to be edited into my original email) I am now writing a list of important things I have learned when writing a new thread.

1. As stated quite appropriately above, do not put a lot of personal detail in what was supposed to be a silly thread. I do have a tendancy to run on.

2. Do not put your punch line all the way at the bottom.

3. Use smiley faces

4. As pointed out earlier, when your post is misunderstood don't join in and comment on the misuntstood point. Apparently I misuntstood my own thread.

5. Truly appreciate those who get you !

Well hopefully I have learned my lesson by having my parental skills scrutinized in such detail.

Peace!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    UndoneUndone Posts: 12
    I have a 10 year old son who likes Pearl Jam, The Who, Ramones, etc., and he also listens to Radio Disney. I have an 8 year old daughter who only listens to Radio Disney and tells us to turn our music down. I took my son to see PJ in Va. Beach this year and left my daughter home. It is fun when you can share with them. Also, he loves songs I don't get excited about anymore, like Evenflow and Alive and it brings a whole new enjoyment of those songs again.

My husband and I started making mix CDs when the kids were still babies. We picked songs we liked that we could dance with the kids to. Animal was one of my son's favorites because of the counting. Now he's learning music from Rock Band and Guitar Hero. Since I don't keep up well with new bands, I'm hoping he can introduce me to good new music as he gets older. It may or may not turn out that way, but I'm enjoying it now. He does the air guitar with a tennis racquet and sings into a hairbrush (although my daughter does that to the pop stuff also). Right now he wants to grow his hair long like Eddie.

I'm sure he'll torture me in the future with some music I don't like, but I'm doing my best to expose him to good stuff now.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    You are absolutely right! (This point was going to be edited into my original email) I am now writing a list of important things I have learned when writing a new thread.

1. As stated quite appropriately above, do not put a lot of personal detail in what was supposed to be a silly thread. I do have a tendancy to run on.

2. Do not put your punch line all the way at the bottom.

3. Use smiley faces

4. As pointed out earlier, when your post is misunderstood don't join in and comment on the misuntstood point. Apparently I misuntstood my own thread.

5. Truly appreciate those who get you !

Well hopefully I have learned my lesson by having my parental skills scrutinized in such detail.

Peace!

6. Nothing is ever, EVER, more important than a Jamily Poster. If you go to a concert and all of them are sold out, your experience is ruined and you are not allowed to enjoy the show.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I am a proud parent of 3 beautiful children. 8, 5 and 3. I have been a PJ Fan from the beginning and looked forward to the day when my children would say, "Did you get tickets for the show, I can't wait!". I know parents and children will have different tastes in music (my dad was a Sinatra and Opera buff vs. Kiss and Floyd Fan) but I would go to the opera house with my dad and still have an appreciation for it today (my dad would let me play my Kiss 8-tracks in the car, good man). I figured PJ is such a band that all generations would love to listen to them.

Well, here is my life. I have the kind of job which affords me to let my wife raise them but I get to only see them about 1 hour during the week (I actually don't see the 3 year old until the weekends). This affords me little time to play PJ around the kids. My wife, who gets them all week, puts on Radio Disney in the car and at home. When my 8 year old son asked me for the High School Musical soundtrack for his 6th birthday, I was concerned but figured he would grow out of it. Well, my wife just informed me that for his 8th birthday we are taking him and his friends (along with my 5 year old) to the JONAS BROTHERS concert at MSG. I have been dispondent ever since. Since it is his party, I have to go (with IPOD in tow), but I have come to realize that I have failed my son.

How can I rectify this situation. Being 8, he is already his own person and feel like I have lost him. I am considering Guant. Bay and a little waterboarding but this seems rash. Maybe adoption?

I am sure I am not the only one going through this. Some guidance is needed.

PLEASE HELP

(BTW, there is some hope as my 5 year old listens to AC/DC (and the JONAS BROTHERS, damn older brothers!) and seemed to be generally interested as i am receiving the 08 boots)
    My take... 'Let It Be'.
    Let them decide what they like and/or dislike. Just like your parents accepted your tastes as you grew up. The Jonas Brothers will go the way of The Monkees, Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy and The Spice Girls some day... a faded memory of growing up as a kid.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    kids have to listen to kid music to help them develop their musical ear - as they age their tastes should have the capability to expand too
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    I realize you were just messing around with your comment,but consider the alternate some of us face. I'm a single mom whose 12 year old son loves PJ. I struck out getting EV tickets here and TM and my son was devastated since he's a big EV/ITW fan. His dad opted not be a part of his life and has not seen him since he was 2. He feels a deep bond with Ed given neither never really knew their dads.Consider yourself lucky that you are able to give your son what he really wants. I'm sure you're a hero to him.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    I realize you were just messing around with your comment,but consider the alternate some of us face. I'm a single mom whose 12 year old son loves PJ. I struck out getting EV tickets here and TM and my son was devastated since he's a big EV/ITW fan. His dad opted not be a part of his life and has not seen him since he was 2. He feels a deep bond with Ed given neither never really knew their dads.Consider yourself lucky that you are able to give your son what he really wants. I'm sure you're a hero to him.

Thanks I needed (and deserved) that.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    8-year old boys are "funny". Mine is way into Hannah Montana (blech, but he's 8, and she's cute). After listening to the Columbia boot for a solid week, he told me in the car yesterday,

"Pearl Jam sucks eggs."

If he didn't look EXACTLY like me, I would truly think they mixed up the eggs and sperm when they were making him. However, I will keep him, and hope his tastes improve.

He does like Touring Band, but in small amounts. :)

Take care,
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 465
    When I was 8 I liked Shaun Cassidy and the Bay City Rollers. But I also loved Elvis as much as my dad did. As soon as I heard FM radio for the 1st time at 12 years old I found my rock n roll passion. Now at 39 with a 6 month old I plan to have him see me enjoying my music so it always reminds him of our happy times together when he hears it. We dance around the kitchen to PJ all of the time!

i was big into bobbie brown and new edition as a kid. i HATED pearl jam until i heard RVM.

so ya just never know. i wouldnt expect an 8 year old to understand the depth of pearl jam. you should be happy that he likes music at all. The Jonas Brothers are at least musicians.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363

Having grown up in a latch key home where both my parents had to work to bring home enough to survive, I barely saw either of my parents. I made it my duty in life to make sure that my kids would have a parent at home to nuture, educate and care for them. My wife, who had a vibrant career also, volunteered for this incredibly important job. I am sure that there are a lot of parents who wish they could be in our shoes and have someone home when the kids arrive from school and for someone there to have dinner with them.
    Secondly, the hour I spend with them on the weedays is made up by spending every waking second on the weekends with them and on the phone with them every chance I get.

Some people might say why bother having kids if you can't spend time with them, but I believe through the two of us we are spending all the time with them.

Just want to peep in here. I understand that you want to do the best you can providing for your kids, but if you asked them if they would like you around more, I would bet my life that they would say "YES". Time with your kids is more important than any "thing" in the world. And being with only their mom does not make up the time they would benefit with their Dad. Think about their perspective, what it's like in their shoes.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Just want to peep in here. I understand that you want to do the best you can providing for your kids, but if you asked them if they would like you around more, I would bet my life that they would say "YES". Time with your kids is more important than any "thing" in the world. And being with only their mom does not make up the time they would benefit with their Dad. Think about their perspective, what it's like in their shoes.

Trust me, I try to get home as quickly as possible. I absolutely agree.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    MakeMeCry43MakeMeCry43 Posts: 355
    Hey man, When I read the title I was pretty concerned, so I came in here to see what kind of help I could pitch in, I was also concerned that I might not be able to help because the situation was grave, but lol, it's nothing to be worried about! You haven't failed them in any way, their just kids and of course will definitely have phases they'll go through! Don't bring yourself down buddy...I mean, right now, I'm like the biggest rock fan to all my friends, but seriously back in the day when I was a kid and a tween, I listened to the crappiest form of music that now my ears can't stand! Like the whole boy band phase of the 90's! That's the downfall of being a child of the 90's lol, I listened to Nsync, BSB, Westlife and now, I'm ashamed..what kind of music was that? Can you even call that music? And I also listened to horrid 80's music thanks to mom lol, but also, she was a HUGE Beatles fan, she'd always hum their songs or try to make me listen to them, but I never would and didn't understand what was the big deal, then when I turned 14, I came to know of Nirvana and Guns'n'Roses (Thanks BRO! :D) and that just opened the doors of rock music, then I later on fell in love with Beatles and now understand why my mom tried it on me and she was right to do so, they're such a good band and now that's real music, but sadly, I'm like the weirdest teen over here, all the stuff I listen are people that are already dead or old or almost on their way...Lol thank God for PJ though :p And I'm 18 listening to PJ, so take that as a hopeful sign, that he will like PJ's music when he grows up!

My long rambling, is me just trying to get to a point, we all have our crappy ass tastes when we're young and we grow out of it! So you got nothing to worry about! Your boy will definitely appreciate PJ's music later on, and will realize what a horrid band The Jonas Brothers are...is that even music?! I just wanted to die when they showcased the Jonas Bros as "Rockstars" in some crappy music channel! I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone but seriously.....Hey, atleast your son isn't listening to Miley Cyrus :P

Again! Away from my rambling and insulting, it's going to be okay man! Come on, chin up and put your IPod in full blast when you go to the concert :p Atleast be there for your son, he will surely appreciate it :D And Jeanwah is right, you should try your best to spend time with them, I'm sure you already are, but keep on doing it, because of course it's important to you and to the kids! ALRIGHT I'M DONE CHEERING YOU UP! lol....Sorry for making it LONG ASS LONG!
    "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!"

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    Considering all the things we parents have to worry about......
    Don't sweat the small stuff. They need to develop their own tastes.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Although this thread was meant to be silly (as someone pointed out earlier) and a dig on the Jonas Brothers (apparently I need to work on my sarcasm when I am writing), I do appreciate the comments in regards for letting kids be kids. You are right, you can't force things on them and I got to believe that would push them farther away.

However I do have to take exception to the following response:

Having grown up in a latch key home where both my parents had to work to bring home enough to survive, I barely saw either of my parents. I made it my duty in life to make sure that my kids would have a parent at home to nuture, educate and care for them. My wife, who had a vibrant career also, volunteered for this incredibly important job. I am sure that there are a lot of parents who wish they could be in our shoes and have someone home when the kids arrive from school and for someone there to have dinner with them.
    Secondly, the hour I spend with them on the weedays is made up by spending every waking second on the weekends with them and on the phone with them every chance I get.

Some people might say why bother having kids if you can't spend time with them, but I believe through the two of us we are spending all the time with them.

I appreciate your love for your kids. I do think they could definitely benefit from growing up with both their parents a little more present, but I guess that's just my opinion. You don't want this:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XrEIhAK4WM4
    to be their favorite song, that would be even worse than the Jonas brothers :)

On the specific point of the thread... my 8 year old son went through a phase of watching Disney channel (which is evil, and a musical taste killer), so he asked me to buy Kids Pop something. It was pure torture listening to it. He asked me what I thought about it. I told him I didn't like it too much. It mortified me to see that he was then turning against is. I realized how much my opinion meant to him but I wanted him to be his own self. We talked about pop music, and commercial music. Music that is done just to make money vs. music as art. I told him about my high regard for people who write their own music. He listened. One day we watched a Who DVD. I can't remember what it was. He was mesmerized. He started playing the guitar, kept asking me all sorts of questions about the band.

Now thankfully he is much more into sports and has forgotten about the Disney channel. When the red sox or celtics are playing he'll call me and tell me with enthusiasm that baba o'reilly is playing :)

He rolls his eyes at Pearl Jam, but I am so thankful that he chose to assert his independence this way :D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Hahaha Dude don't sweat it. I haven't read the other responses but my 14 year old, who has been on every Pearl Jam tour since she was 8, has attended numerous other shows including NIN, Cure, AFI, Tiger Army, Warped, Lollapalooza, BEGGED me to get tickets for her to see the Jonas Brothers, so yes, we will be going, (or should I say she will be attending with me going along) in Vermont at the end of August. You're not alone. They're not the worst I guess. I guess our kids could have liked that Miley person.

My daughter is still excited to go to Lollapalooza later this week, went to Warped last weekend, and we're seeing Ed solo.

All is not lost but kids will be kids and we just have to accept it!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Once met a father and son in Seattle who were both Pearl Jam fans. Dad wanted to sneak underage son into some show Eddie Vedder was supposed to appear in. I should have called the cops.
  • Options
    melva02melva02 Posts: 298
    My dad took me (and my brother) to see New Kids on the Block, and I still ended up a Pearl Jam fan. Of course they were still recording Ten when I saw NKOTB, but you can see that people with good taste find their way eventually. Just keep hangin tough and they'll come around. ;-)

Melissa
  • Options
    im 20 years old...and didn't find/appreciate pearl jam until i was 16...and all it took was being introduced to it...at that age...i was ready to appreciate it completely

i work at a school now...every summer...and i walk around singing and sometimes i even play pearl jam....and i have kids from age 6-14 there...and no one has ever recognized it (most tell me to shut up or change the music)

high school musical and jonas brothers however are popular to all of them

hang tight til your kids get to high school and you will find the right time to introduce your kids to pj and they will thank you for it...in the mean time def. try to appreciate whatever your kids like in the mean time...they might come around late like me...i listened to only rap until i discovered pj

goodluck
    10/3/05
    5/27/06 5/27/06 6/01/06
    8/5/07
    6/17/08 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    It's somewhat troubling that you seem more concerned about what music they listen to than you do about seeing them only 1 hour a week. Just to clarify, when your weekly hour of child time comes about...as soon as they get there you immediately put on Pearl Jam?

And if you are taking him to a concert that he is excited to go to...don't be ignorant and take out your ipod. Come on now. Show some interest in his interests. At least you will get to spend about 2 hours with him that night as opposed to your usual one.

I'm thinking this thread might be a joke.
  • Options
    PJMEMamaPJMEMama Posts: 99
    I think it is something kids have to do, to choose their own music. I was a deadhead way, way back in the day, and played the music for the kids, we used to sing monkey and the engineer and samson and delilah together, everything was peachy. My son (now 13) became a huge Nirvana and Pink Floyd fan, and now Dropkick Murphys (which he persuaded me to take him to, big mistake IMHO). My daughter age 15 (brace yourself) loves...Lil Wayne...and both of them say absolutely no way to any Pearl Jam...sigh. So I'm not going to waste my breath trying to persuade them to come to PJ shows, I consider those my own little Mommy vacations. They like what they like, rock out, fantastic. I like what I like, I rock out, yahoo! I think you've got to let your kids be whoever they want to be.

But, yeah, one hour a week is not really going to cut it in the parenting dep't, friend. Maybe you can adjust your schedule? It just goes so damn fast, unbelievable. They are both taller than me now, and I've got to teach my girl to drive now. Yikes. Dont let it slip by without you.
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    dont drown your kids in PJ they will end up hating it.
    I suggest a tactical aproach.
    In the coming years when you take your kids on some of their lifes little moments ( things they will remember when they are older) play PJ then. that way Pj will always be a part of their lives and they will always remember the music as a soundtrack to their lives
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Shit, I liked Kid Rock when I was 8. Didn't appreciate PJ until 9th grade. And here I am now.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    Roll ModelRoll Model Posts: 70
    ok, i've read enough of these responses, and i have to add my own, as a mother of 2 daughters...7 and 5 and half.

2 years ago i had to ban the disney channel, and (unfortunately) all disney movies, just to be a true boycot. the shows were just ridiculous and the music videos looked like kiddie porn.
    last year i had to have a talk with my eldest about why hannah montana / disney is evil. i explained to her that disney has exploited this young beautiful girl, that music should be about creative expression of experiences, feeling and emotions etc. disney (and most pop music) is about making money and they basically market this crap to tweens because it's the highest grossing demographic.
    this type of explanation was perfect for her, she is always concerned with understanding what i think and appreciates it too
    i feel very proud that she is (honestly) the only girl at her school who doesn't watch hannah montana, and hasn't seen high school musical etc. she has never asked to watch it, she knows it's garbage

and fuck all these guys for their 2 cents about your job taking away from the weekday spending with your kids. most of those who posted don't have kids (i'm sure) some times you have to be away 40+ hrs/wk to provide for them. last time i checked this is not a perfect world where you can make plenty of $$ and spend as much time with your family as you'd like

and HELLO, tell your wife to turn off the disney radio CRAP! you must be a united front when raising your kids! ;-)

an example: when i was a kid i started to get into rap and my mom sat me down and explained to me that she didn't appreciated that kind of music because she didn't feel that it was a good influence on who she wanted me to be. she felt like the lyrics were insulting and demeaning to women.

sorry for the wordiness
    no one will prolly even read this
  • Options
    alive25alive25 Posts: 124
    Wilds wrote:
    My guess is his musical tastes will change and he will begin to appreciate Pearl Jam in his teens.

You have sown the seeds of good music and he will discover it again.
    yes totally he will realize how much the jonas brothers suck and they are not real musicians and he will realize that pearl jam kicks the jonas fags asses.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    alive25 wrote:
    yes totally he will realize how much the jonas brothers suck and they are not real musicians and he will realize that pearl jam kicks the jonas fags asses.

That's a little harsh though. As far as I understand, they do write their own songs and play their own instruments, as opposed to the boy bands of the 90's.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008