Options

New Article - National Ledger

Comments

• Options
    mt_wrxmt_wrx Posts: 33
    Bump for an awesome article!

You can leave a message for the author toward the end. Please let her know how much you appreciate the sentiment.
  • Options
    DedvwDedvw Posts: 245
    That...was...an...AWESOME...review.
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Amazing article for a great band.
    That's what I feel.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 319
    That bit about the football was hilarious.
  • Options
    UNH1995UNH1995 Worcester Posts: 356
    i wish that i could write that well.
    she really wrote some nice stuff that conveys the way most of us feel.
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.
  • Options
    EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    mt_wrx wrote:
    Bump for an awesome article!

You can leave a message for the author toward the end. Please let her know how much you appreciate the sentiment.

I sent her a note to let her know what an amazing piece that was and she was really nice, emailed me back really quickly saying:

"Thanks for your kind words. It's nice to hear from folks who know more about PJ than I do (which would be everyone) that I got it right. Onward to the Ed Ved solo shows!"

So hopefully we will see more from her after the solo shows.
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    The kind of sound that you heard inside your body kind of non-stop when you were a teenager, even when the radio was off.

Exactly.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    That made me smile! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    What an unbelievable review....

She pretty much described my every feeling about this band...

She just nailed it! Absolutely nailed it!

Thanks for posting this

~Urs~
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    I got a little teary-eyed at the end there.

Great review. Melodic. :)

Take care,
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430
    kcherub wrote:
    I got a little teary-eyed at the end there.

Great review. Melodic. :)

Take care,

Me too ... a little teary eyed at the end ...

What an EXCELLENT review! She totally got it ... The Pearl Jam Experience!
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    bump

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    "Eddie manages to get away with all the rock star antics because he is so unfailingly genuine, so very real, somehow, that it is shattering. Absolutely shattering. He is so unguarded, so open, that it is quite disarming. Quite alarming, even. He is an open soul. He is raw. He is on the outside who everyone who loves rock and roll is on the inside. And all these things that Eddie is come out in his singing."

exactly.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    ~bump~
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    wow!
    Love the article. Totally agreed with everything she said.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    bump

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    northcountrygirlnorthcountrygirl Montréal, Canada Posts: 136
    I sent her a note to let her know what an amazing piece that was and she was really nice, emailed me back really quickly saying:

"Thanks for your kind words. It's nice to hear from folks who know more about PJ than I do (which would be everyone) that I got it right. Onward to the Ed Ved solo shows!"

So hopefully we will see more from her after the solo shows.

What a great article! It is sooo hard to explain to friends and family why I keep heading to 3-4 shows at a time...I am over 40, with 2 kids, some (OK, lots ..) of white hair (thank god for hair dye!)..but I am standing, bouncing, screaming, singing every lyrics with my heart and soul because that's what it is...music for the soul...and you still get to keep your soul even after 40 ...:)
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    What a great article! It is sooo hard to explain to friends and family why I keep heading to 3-4 shows at a time...I am over 40, with 2 kids, some (OK, lots ..) of white hair (thank god for haird dye!)..but I am standing, bouncing, screaming, singing every lyrics with my heart and soul because that's what it is...music for the soul...and you still get to keep your soul even after 40 ...:)
    Over 50 here and right there with you. :) Luckily our family all "gets" it.
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    northcountrygirlnorthcountrygirl Montréal, Canada Posts: 136
    wolfbear wrote:
    Over 50 here and right there with you. :) Luckily our family all "gets" it.

Nice to see other 'mature' PJ listeners here...My kids actually think it is pretty cool that mom goes to see rock shows. And my boys are well educated in the history of Rock N Roll and listen to the likes of Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Clash, Guns N Roses, AC/DC....haven't been able to convert them completely to Pearl Jam yet but they do like Evolution...but the rest of my family thinks that I still have to grow up...like that's going to happen....
  • Options
    LongerRoadLongerRoad Posts: 72
    this needs to stay up front...I just read it. She does a great job putting how I, and many of us, feel into words. Nice job by her. This is a must read.
  • Options
    melpumelpu Posts: 44
    Amen!

A great articulation of what witnessing PJ live is like.

They sure do turn themselves inside out --not everyone cares, but if you do, you're hooked.

Been addicted myself since one August afternoon in Mansfield, MA, at Lollapalooza 1992... and now, too much is never enough...
    "We feel like we could play just about anything, and you fuckers would know it."
    EV

"Hey, it’s not like we come into your house demanding bacon and eggs... what I’m saying is, if you offered us pancakes, we’d eat pancakes."
    EV
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    Sorry to ask again, but I still dont get it, what the hell does "bump" means????

Can I just like bump someone :) really somebody explain, thanks
  • Options
    pouch15 wrote:
    Sorry to ask again, but I still dont get it, what the hell does "bump" means????

Can I just like bump someone :) really somebody explain, thanks

"bump" means bumping the message back to the top of the board. If we don't "bump" it, the thread will get burried.
  • Options
    EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    bump, again, dont want anyone to miss this review.
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Options
    hiding103006hiding103006 Posts: 452
    excellent, excellent, excellent... the only thing better than this review is the show itself.

EDIT: you know what's a real breath of fresh air here? there isn't ONE negative post in this entire thread. that deserves an atta boy on its own.
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    there;s a link at the end of the article where you can email the author. I certainly did to let her know how much I appreciate her ability to express what I've opften felt at PJ concerts. I bet she'd be thrilled to get more feedback from others who connect with her writing.
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I agree that it's a great piece. We're friends and went to Camden 1 on my number. I won the ticket lottery & we sat in the ninth row on Stone's side. I asked her what she thought after the show & she said she loved it & wanted to see them again soon. I'm glad she made it to 3 more shows on the tour. I have a feeling she will get to the Ed solo tour & to all future PJ tours that come to the Northeast.
    We also have a pact to go see Pearl Jam at the Gorge when they play there again as neither of us has ever been there & have heard many wonderful things about that venue.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,280
    I emailed her, thanking her for the article. As another (almost 40)-year-old mom who attended her first show this year, yeah, I could relate. I had a nice response from her, too.

northcountrygirl, my boys knew who the Clash, Bob Marley and the Foo Fighters were (and Miles Davis! They are Seattle boys, they need to know jazz!) even before they knew Raffi. Last year, I bought my then-eight-year-old the Who, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix and the Beatles for his birthday; he wants to borrow my PJ cds, but I am not good at sharing. :-) Still, I was surprised when he told me that "Black" is his favorite PJ song.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    I emailed her, thanking her for the article. As another (almost 40)-year-old mom who attended her first show this year, yeah, I could relate. I had a nice response from her, too.

northcountrygirl, my boys knew who the Clash, Bob Marley and the Foo Fighters were (and Miles Davis! They are Seattle boys, they need to know jazz!) even before they knew Raffi. Last year, I bought my then-eight-year-old the Who, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix and the Beatles for his birthday; he wants to borrow my PJ cds, but I am not good at sharing. :-) Still, I was surprised when he told me that "Black" is his favorite PJ song.

I'm 36 and I relate better to thios band better than I ever did when I was in college, when they first came out. I think that's what I love so much about them - that they have grown as I have grown and now that I am more mature/smarter, I have a greater appreciation of what they are trying to say/who they are trying to be.