Options

Why does Pearl Jam hate Texas?

Comments

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    The Bush mask speculation is stupid. After all, they've been back to Denver where the whole situation started. They've been back to New York where they were practically booed off the stage (I realize that was Uniondale and not NYC but they point still stands - they've played the state many times since then).

And they didn't play Bushleaguer in Houston.

And as far as Bush-loving Texans - it is 2008 not 2003. His support has dwindled.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    something about steers and queers

I know cliche

but Ed's a strait vegan right?

There ya go.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    I might have been mistaken about the song, as I noted above, but the Bush mask did come out and it was not well-received by the crowd, particularly on the lawn.

That being said, hearing anything resembling a "boo" at a Pearl Jam show at any time except when Boom Gaspar is doing a solo is not something I expect. And the mood just wasn't there at all during the show.

To each their own as people at the same show can often see the show from a different angle (literally) but the show was definitely one I'd like to forget.
    Have to agree...the crowd was very subdued....not though sure if it was the Bush thing (was in seats..and didn't hear any loud jeering)..but can understand it happening...when peoples realities are tested its hard on them.
    Went to see a show in Toronto after the Houston show..and it was night and day....and understood why PJ likes to rock up north....one of my fav. shows.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

I know cliche

There ya go.

Yeah, I mentioned that one already. We eat steak for every meal!

Not really, but you know . . .
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Forgive the Bushleaguer mistake. I went to numerous concerts that year (every one in Texas) in a short period of time and my notes are not particularly great. I could have sworn, though, that it was played. Any way, I didn't see it on the set lists but I kind of figured it was omitted.

Back on topic, though, I just don't think Pearl Jam hates Texas or anywhere else. Hate is an awfully strong word. Maybe Pearl Jam has avoided Texas, but doesn't hate it. As a Texas resident and native, they can count my name off the ballot for a concert here. I don't mind one bit traveling to see them. Suppose they have a show, I don't think I'd go unless it were at a very small venue and preferably in Austin. Wherever I see them it's got to be a place with a generally good appreciation for the music being shared and people all being nice to each other. I'm not objecting to them having a concert here, I'm just saying it's really not necessary, in my opinion.

A concert in New Orleans would be alright with me and probably be a good thing for the fans down there.

Having been to shows out west and, in particular, Santa Barbara and both Gorge shows in 2006 (which were just all incredible), I have trouble believing anything played here would be as enjoyable as elsewhere. I believe the crowd plays a large role in making a concert work for an artist. Texas crowds can surprise me (and have before) but I'll rest my case at "cautiously optimistic" for a show in Texas in the future.
    bryan. houston, tx
    favorites:
    gorge 9/1/05, 7/22/06 & 7/23/06
    santa barbara 10/28/03, 7/16/06, 4/10/08 (vedder)
    monterrey, nl 12/7/05
    new orleans 8/14/2000 & 4/3/03
  • Options
    PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
    Get_Right wrote:

I know cliche

There ya go.

The "straight Vegan" thing - I do care about this -in a global way...... It would be great IF ALL of PJ were Vegan - or at the least -Vegetarian. Just from my own (and PETA's) ethical logic. But they are who they are. Like we all are. With THAT said - what are YOU? Just curious. You should focus on that instead. I personally am Vegan.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • Options
    Play Texas Already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shit.......
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    Yeah, I mentioned that one already. We eat steak for every meal!

Not really, but you know . . .

This is a Texas thread - in which many Texas people are my friends. I try my best to respect the "rodeos" and the the "ranchers" and the numerous "steak houses." Which is why I don't personally reside in Texas. But I do love other things about the PJ Fans that live there. And I will continue to support their petition for PJ to visit them.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

• Options
    Rose1963 wrote:
    This is a Texas thread - in which many Texas people are my friends. I try my best to respect the "rodeos" and the the "ranchers" and the numerous "steak houses." Which is why I don't personally reside in Texas. But I do love other things about the PJ Fans that live there. And I will continue to support their petition for PJ to visit them.

Thanks! We just want a show within a few hundred miles maybe.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Rose1963 wrote:
    The "straight Vegan" thing - I do care about this -in a global way...... It would be great IF ALL of PJ were Vegan - or at the least -Vegetarian. Just from my own (and PETA's) ethical logic. But they are who they are. Like we all are. With THAT said - what are YOU? Just curious. You should focus on that instead. I personally am Vegan.

I am the exact opposite of you. And that was my response as to why they might not like texas, it has nothing to do with eating or lifestyle preferences, generally speaking.
  • Options
    TheLostSoulTheLostSoul Posts: 773
    i think houston was a bill gates mask with Soon Forget. but my memory is foggy for its been such a long time...
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    i think houston was a bill gates mask with Soon Forget. but my memory is foggy for its been such a long time...
    That's right! I knew there was a mask, cause I remember thinking Yes, Bushleaguer! and then being disappointed.
  • Options
    gordon189gordon189 Houston, TX Posts: 60

This is correct. He had someone bring it from backstage and then proceeded to show the crowd how you impale something in a ritualistic manner (in reference to the Bushleaguer thing in Denver earlier that week).
  • Options
    jwillmo wrote:
    That's right! I knew there was a mask, cause I remember thinking Yes, Bushleaguer! and then being disappointed.

I thank you for solving the mystery here. I recall it now, rather vividly.

Everyone was squinting their eyes to see who the mask was of because it looked like Bush from a distance. It might not have been Bush, but he certainly treated it like it was. lol.

If I'm not mistaken, this was a few days after the Denver incident, so everyone was on their toes about what Vedder would do in Texas.
    bryan. houston, tx
    favorites:
    gorge 9/1/05, 7/22/06 & 7/23/06
    santa barbara 10/28/03, 7/16/06, 4/10/08 (vedder)
    monterrey, nl 12/7/05
    new orleans 8/14/2000 & 4/3/03
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    I thank you for solving the mystery here. I recall it now, rather vividly.

Everyone was squinting their eyes to see who the mask was of because it looked like Bush from a distance. It might not have been Bush, but he certainly treated it like it was. lol.

If I'm not mistaken, this was a few days after the Denver incident, so everyone was on their toes about what Vedder would do in Texas.

Kinda like Jim Morrison and FL. PJ has been banned from TX :)
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    I am the exact opposite of you. And that was my response as to why they might not like texas, it has nothing to do with eating or lifestyle preferences, generally speaking.

You have to make your own peace with this world. I only hope that something I or others can say, will actually change your mind. One can begin educating themselves - at the very least . Begin first with what you are actually putting into your mouth and the reprecussions of it. It's a beginning anyway. Be open to what you will learn.

• Options
    Rose1963 wrote:
    You have to make your own peace with this world. I only hope that something I or others can say, will actually change your mind. One can begin educating themselves - at the very least . Begin first with what you are actually putting into your mouth and the reprecussions of it. It's a beginning anyway. Be open to what you will learn.

You dont know me, what I know, and you have no idea about how much I know about the meat industry, the US agricultural industry, the US grocery industry, the FDA, the USDA or anything else for that matter.

But thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    Because a quick check of touringfans.net shows that I am the only Texan listed for Hartford and both Mansfield shows. Shame.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    You dont know me, what I know, and you have no idea about how much I know about the meat industry, the US agricultural industry, the US grocery industry, the FDA, the USDA or anything else for that matter.

But thanks for the advice.

Then it appears to me -from your post - you've already answered your own previous post. And ....NO! I don't know ya...at all. Think I would like to - however. What I offer is only advice (fROM my STANDPOINT). Why the defensiveness? Rhetorical question. I understand. More than you probably "get!" You sound like a very good person. DO NOT be pissed at me- as that was NEVER my intention. PM me. I certainly don't hate you. You will only find a friend.

• Options
    mattmidgettmattmidgett Posts: 128
    I love Pearl Jam. I love meat. I hate that they haven't played here in 5 years. I don't care if people eat meat or not, it is their choice. I liked this thread more when it turned positive and hearing people's favorite spots in Austin. I was really bummed when ACL was announced and saw that all the rumors of them doing a TX swing were indeed false.

PJ might not love TX but TX definitely loves Pearl Jam, or at least I do and there are obviously many like minded folks on this board. At the Stars game last night they played "Go" during one of the intermissions and then in the intermission between the 3rd period and OT they played the entire "WWS" from the IIC DVD and accompanied the clip with facts about the band. IT was pretty cool. At a few of the other games I have been to they play live versions of "TKAA" when the little kids play their little shootout game during intermissions. I guess whoever works the jumbo tron and music selection for the Stars must be quite the fan.

Oh well, enough of that. I guess everyone can revert back to the discussion about Veganism now.
  • Options
    Rose1963 wrote:
    Then it appears to me -from your post - you've already answered your own previous post. And ....NO! I don't know ya...at all. Think I would like to - however. What I offer is only advice (fROM my STANDPOINT). Why the defensiveness? Rhetorical question. I understand. More than you probably "get!" You sound like a very good person. DO NOT be pissed at me- as that was NEVER my intention. PM me. I certainly don't hate you. You will only find a friend.

Open your mind....begin with what you put in your mouth...etc...

a bit too preachy is all

I happen to be very serious about what I eat (although not as disciplined as Id like-but thats true for most)

Im not pissed at all. No worries. My first post was toungue in cheek regarding the ole texas cliche, and i was puzzled as to how you turned that into an eating thing. Tis all.

:)

EDIT: People I was joking about it!!!! I have no idea why they dont play there. Perhaps its the lone star beer. Discuss.

:D
  • Options
    It's truly people like you that make so many people want to be "ghosts."
    Sports, cars, income, the size of our individual homes and other complete SHIT, actually make you feel important. Do NOT dis(respect). I find it completely arrogant of you like to to think you fucking know everything
    (just ask ya). Now I'm pissed off. Was that your goal. Eat the cow or the pig - or the DOG you actually assigned a name to? If you can do that in good conscience.....then it demonstrates the kind of person you are. I don't appreciate your sarcasm. Neither do the animals.

• Options
    Rose1963 wrote:
    It's truly people like you that make so many people want to be "ghosts."
    Sports, cars, income, the size of our individual homes and other complete SHIT, actually make you feel important. Do NOT dis(respect). I find it completely arrogant of you like to to think you fucking know everything
    (just ask ya). Now I'm pissed off. Was that your goal. Eat the cow or the pig - or the DOG you actually assigned a name to? If you can do that in good conscience.....then it demonstrates the kind of person you are. I don't appreciate your sarcasm. Neither do the animals.

OK
    is this directed at me? Because I never said anything about income etc....and am once again puzzled as to how that fits in the conversation when all ive done is make some bad jokes about texas.

How did I disrespect you? By saying you are preachy? Gimme a break.
    Your pissed? At what the world? I never said I know everything-but that you have no clue as to what I know. OK

But you have contributed to enforcing a common stereotype-that peta/vegan types are whack jobs.

EDIT sorry to the others for this silly diversion.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    i forget if i posted on this thread allready and i'm not about to read all the pgs ,but maybe they don't like all those giant hats evrybody wears there or that they love to brand all the horses and cows you know stone doesn't like that ....:eek: he probably would just use a magic marker or something ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    OK
    is this directed at me? Because I never said anything about income etc....and am once again puzzled as to how that fits in the conversation when all ive done is make some bad jokes about texas.

How did I disrespect you? By saying you are preachy? Gimme a break.
    Your pissed? At what the world? I never said I know everything-but that you have no clue as to what I know. OK

But you have contributed to enforcing a common stereotype-that peta/vegan types are whack jobs.

EDIT sorry to the others for this silly diversion.

I do see where, in other people's opinion - we remain "Whack Jobs. " Typical . However,,,,Thanks for responding .
    PETA remains relevent..... NOT everyone eats meat.

I am not an ad for PETA - I truly remain a Pearl Jam Fan.

• Options
    Rose1963 wrote:
    I do see where, in other people's opinion - we remain "Whack Jobs. " Typical . However,,,,Thanks for responding .
    PETA remains relevent..... NOT everyone eats meat.

I am not an ad for PETA - I truly remain a Pearl Jam Fan.

And although I remain a completely dedicated PJ fan - and a member of PETA.... BOTH...remain relevent to me. Period. The End. F.O. If ya don't like it. But I still want Pearl Jam to play Texas.

• Options
    now you are talking to yourself
    and telling people to FO

how gracious

bye
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    now you are talking to yourself
    and telling people to FO

how gracious

bye

Thanks for trying to speak for me. Sorry - GET OFF OF MY ASS!
    I speak for myself. That's it. (Eat meat ---or don't eat meat others will decide for themselves) YOU live in TEXAS....this is a HUGE thing to ask. I understand. Give some thought to it,
    And this other person can F.O! I don't want to do this anymore. Argue with eveyone else. I just want peace. Even for the animals. Truly...that's it. :)

• Options
    Get_Right wrote:

EDIT: People I was joking about it!!!! I have no idea why they dont play there. Perhaps its the lone star beer. Discuss.

:D

Yeah, that shit does suck. I wouldn't play here either if that was all we had to offer.

Shiner Black. MMmmmmmmm.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    I love Pearl Jam. I love meat. I hate that they haven't played here in 5 years. I don't care if people eat meat or not, it is their choice. I liked this thread more when it turned positive and hearing people's favorite spots in Austin. I was really bummed when ACL was announced and saw that all the rumors of them doing a TX swing were indeed false.

PJ might not love TX but TX definitely loves Pearl Jam, or at least I do and there are obviously many like minded folks on this board. At the Stars game last night they played "Go" during one of the intermissions and then in the intermission between the 3rd period and OT they played the entire "WWS" from the IIC DVD and accompanied the clip with facts about the band. IT was pretty cool. At a few of the other games I have been to they play live versions of "TKAA" when the little kids play their little shootout game during intermissions. I guess whoever works the jumbo tron and music selection for the Stars must be quite the fan.

Oh well, enough of that. I guess everyone can revert back to the discussion about Veganism now.

I forgot about that. I was watching the Stars last night and I mentioned to my wife "Listen, they are playing "Go".

I went to a Stars game earlier this year and when they had a mini-mite game during one of the intermissions. They played THe Kids are Alright during the mini-mite game. Only it wasn't The Who, it was Eddie. I thought that was tremendously cool that whoever was running the music hunted that boot down just to play that.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13