Options

Wilco Is More Relevant Than Pearl Jam

jordan2345jordan2345 Posts: 7
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Both bands are great, but Pearl Jam hasn't redefined themselves since No Code. Wilco redefines themselves with EVERY successive album AND their members have more musical and lyrical talent. Sure, PJ has a larger fan base, but so does American Idol.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MerkingBoyMerkingBoy Posts: 249
    jordan2345 wrote:
    Both bands are great, but Pearl Jam hasn't redefined themselves since No Code. Wilco redefines themselves with EVERY successive album AND their members have more musical and lyrical talent. Sure, PJ has a larger fan base, but so does American Idol.
    First, there's a contradiction with your statement and the title.

Second, speaking for myself, I've never heard any songs from Wilco nor do I want to.

Finally, fuck Wilco and fuck you!
  • Options
    Methinks this belongs in another forum?

And melikes Wilco a whole damn lot just like PJ. I've seen Wilco seven times so far on the extended Sky Blue Sky Tour and saw PJ seven times in 2007 and fifteen times since 2003.

They are both the kind of band worthy of "non-typical" fan adulation. And I'm sure there's quite a bit of crossover in their respective fan bases.

So quit hating folks, and either open your ears or shut your mouth.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    MerkingBoy wrote:

Second, speaking for myself, I've never heard any songs from Wilco nor do I want to.

Haha, that is one of the funniest things I have read on here...... :D:D:D
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    who are wilco? if ive never heard of them i doubt they are more relevant than pearl jam
  • Options
    walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    jordan2345 wrote:

WILCO BLOW!!! BADLY
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    choochchooch Posts: 38
    Love both bands and would love to see Tweedy and Vedder collaborate, but I think styles are too far apart. Pj does seem to be on a bit of cruise control musically, but they are in different places career wise. I remember Ed mentioning that he really liked the work that Jim O'rourke was doing with Wilco. Also, members of Wilco are in the Million Dollar Bashers
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i love wilco...probably my second favorite band.
    why does it have to be a comparison? it's like apples and oranges. can't we just enjoy both??
  • Options
    critics crowing crap
  • Options
    jordan2345 wrote:
    Are u kidding me,who the fuck is wilco(seriously)..Your in the wrong place to get backed up on this statement!!!
    Now we got a fuckin fight up here,what there's a republican in the audience,what's going on? Eddie(Randell's Island N.Y 96)
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    OK, I like Wilco, but I have to disagree with the relevancy statement.

And I think PJ has done a pretty good job "re-inventing themselves" - not just since No Code. They don't put out a generic sounding album time after time - not that Wilco does either - just saying.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Wilco and Pearl Jam actually share a lot of fans. I know i go to the wilco board a lot and if pearl jam is mentioned there are always a lot of positive things said.

Of course that board in a whole is a lot more positive then this one but that is another thread for another time.

As for Wilco being more relevant it pains me to say it because i like pearl jam more but yes they really are. I think part of the reason Wilco stays relevent is because they have worked with many different musicians over their albums and that helps to always bring fresh ideas and perspective to the band. I think thatis part of the reason why solo artist tend to have longer careers then bands do. (relevent careers)

Wilco's new stuff sound wonderful. I love pearl jam's new stuff as well but as mentioned sometimes it sounds like cruise control.

Both are very good bands. You won't find a lot of support here. If you go over to theskyiscrape board in the other bands section you'll find a ton of pearl jam fans who will agree. Seems like that board has folks who are a little more open to some new and different music.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    MerkingBoy wrote:

I don't see how number fans has any bearing on relevancy. If you've never heard Wilco, then I would suggest getting out of your narrow minded little world and realise that there is other music besides Pearl Jam and whatever other band Eddie Vedder latches himself onto.

I don't even like Wilco, but I've actually listened to them to establish that view.
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    I don't give a shit who is more "relevant".

Pearl Jam music means more to me and frankly....simply sounds better.
  • Options
    ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    Wilco.... mmmm... I just heard about it... now I will listen to ^_^

Any other badn/solo artist you guys "like" (like Damien Rice for example – he is great !!!) ?

I know this should be in Other Music section... but I do not like it so much... there are threads about.... write a song and you write another one starting with my song ending letter ... yeah... very productive threads!!!
    -- rafa
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    intodeep wrote:
    Wilco and Pearl Jam actually share a lot of fans. I know i go to the wilco board a lot and if pearl jam is mentioned there are always a lot of positive things said.

Of course that board in a whole is a lot more positive then this one but that is another thread for another time.

As for Wilco being more relevant it pains me to say it because i like pearl jam more but yes they really are. I think part of the reason Wilco stays relevent is because they have worked with many different musicians over their albums and that helps to always bring fresh ideas and perspective to the band. I think thatis part of the reason why solo artist tend to have longer careers then bands do. (relevent careers)

Wilco's new stuff sound wonderful. I love pearl jam's new stuff as well but as mentioned sometimes it sounds like cruise control.

Both are very good bands. You won't find a lot of support here. If you go over to theskyiscrape board in the other bands section you'll find a ton of pearl jam fans who will agree. Seems like that board has folks who are a little more open to some new and different music.

Very well said.

Wilco surpassed Pearl Jam as my favorite band a while ago, and with them I discovered tons of great music that looks beyond the basic rock mold. As much as I love Pearl Jam I really hope they try something new on the next album, or I'm going to continue to lose interest.

And there have actually been quite a few positive threads about Wilco in Other Music lately. Clearly there are more than a few Wilco/PJ fans out there. I think many of them just don't bother reading this section of the message board anymore.
  • Options
    jordan2345 wrote:

then take your delusional ass over to the Wilco website!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Why does a band have to redefine themself, though? Pearl Jam aren't exactly the most original band in the world, but they never claimed they were, and it's not as if they are making the same album over and over again - I'd say that Binaural, Riot Act and Pearl Jam are all pretty different albums.

Good music is good music, whether it's radically different to what you've heard or not. That's my view on it, anyway.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

100% agree.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    MerkingBoy wrote:

Not being a very friendly post aside, calm down already.
    First of all number one PJ fan , it is Merkin, not Merking.
    And you really should at least try to listen to something before bashing someone for their opinion.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,860
    wilco sucks, go post this in other music. and yes i have listened to their music.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    chooch wrote:
    Pj does seem to be on a bit of cruise control musically ...
    Gotta say I agree with this quote.
    macci wrote:
    They don't put out a generic sounding album time after time ...
    and not so much this one.

But, as chooch said, they're in a different place nowadays. In the moment, I totally agree with the OP musically, but over the span of each career it seems PJ has had more relevance in terms of musical influence and product sales.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    jordan2345 wrote:
    um yea wilco's last 2 albums are absolute shit

can we all piss in the dead trolls mouth?
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

Stop been a dickhead and go out and get laid.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    first, you really cant compare PJ and wilco
    PJ is a hard rock band-and the best hard rock band since led zeppelin
    Wilco is not-but they are making some of the most beautiful music in america right now-and the live shows are incredible. Like Vedder, Tweedy really cares about the fans, the quality of the music and the shows.

Wilco is one of the best American bands out there right now with three of the best musicians on the planet kline (who gives McCready a run for the money and who plays on the million dollar bashers with EV), kotchke and tweedy

if you are not listening to wilco, you are simply missing out-its your loss

Even better live, kinda like PJ.
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I agree with this thread.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Wilco's good ... but I don't think the original poster knows the meaning of the word "relevant."

To be "relevant," people have to have heard of you.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

sky blue sky will probably go down in my book as the best album of the decade in my book. in all honesty, they put on a better live show now too. nels blows mikey away anymore (he has gotten lazy with his solos, none of this they are different types of guitarists either, they aren't). i've seen/heard wilco on tv more than pearl jam lately too, making them more relevant.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I love Wilco.

I love Pearl Jam.

I don't need to compare them or put one up against the other, because they both are amazing bands.

So let me play my Wilco AND my Pearl Jam and stop putting these thoughts of one vs. another in my head.

Thank you.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    Wilco's good ... but I don't think the original poster knows the meaning of the word "relevant."

To be "relevant," people have to have heard of you.

That doesn't make sense.

Wilco are very popular.
  • Options
    Also, this might piss people off but...

Nels Cline is a far better guitarist that Mike McCready.

FACT.