Options

Wilco Is More Relevant Than Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    OmahaJammerOmahaJammer Posts: 261
    jordan2345 wrote:
    Both bands are great, but Pearl Jam hasn't redefined themselves since No Code. Wilco redefines themselves with EVERY successive album AND their members have more musical and lyrical talent. Sure, PJ has a larger fan base, but so does American Idol.

Wilco is absolutely more relevant than Pearl Jam. But, it doesn't really matter, and I'm not sure why you're trying to get people all riled up....especially when a LARGE portion of Pearl Jam fans still don't listen to anything other than Alice in Chains, PJ, and Stone Temple Pilots. Now it sounds like I'M the one trying to rile people up, but I'm not. Stack PJ's last three records up against Wilco's....and the results are embarrassingly in Wilco's favor. I think even Pearl Jam themselves would agree....but it is comparing two very different things, I guess.
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    This thread had some potential for great discussion and comparison/contrast if it hadn't begun with such an inflammatory statement.

Sorry to see all the Wilco haters. They really are an enjoyable group of musicians and (in my opinion) a more accessible band these days than PJ tends to be. I agree with intodeep about finding a lot of crossover in the two fanbases. Seems every Wilco show I've been to in the past three years, I find several people to talk to PJ about.

I don't know whether relevancy can actually be gauged, but I'd say both bands put on quite spectacular live shows (though Wilco tends to tour with more frequency and variation in locales).

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Wilco is absolutely more relevant than Pearl Jam. But, it doesn't really matter, and I'm not sure why you're trying to get people all riled up....especially when a LARGE portion of Pearl Jam fans still don't listen to anything other than Alice in Chains, PJ, and Stone Temple Pilots. Now it sounds like I'M the one trying to rile people up, but I'm not. Stack PJ's last three records up against Wilco's....and the results are embarrassingly in Wilco's favor. I think even Pearl Jam themselves would agree....but it is comparing two very different things, I guess.

Well said. And the part about many PJ fans only listening to AIC, Soundgarden, and STP is so fucking true.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    Stack PJ's last three records up against Wilco's....and the results are embarrassingly in Wilco's favor. I think even Pearl Jam themselves would agree....but it is comparing two very different things, I guess.
    good synopsis. daytime hit the nail on the head though
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    That doesn't make sense.

Wilco are very popular.

No, Wilco are sorta popular in a cool, hip indie sort of way. Would they sell out MSG two nights in a row? I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

Ask 100 people at random on the street to name one Wilco song, and I'll bet 90 percent of the people can't.

Ask 100 people at random to name one PJ song, and I'll bet at least 90 percent can come up with Betterman.

Just because you like or I like someone doesn't make them "very popular." Well-liked in your own personal musical circles does not equal "very popular" or mainstream.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    jordan2345 wrote:
    Both bands are great, but Pearl Jam hasn't redefined themselves since No Code. Wilco redefines themselves with EVERY successive album AND their members have more musical and lyrical talent. Sure, PJ has a larger fan base, but so does American Idol.

maybe to you
  • Options
    Also, this might piss people off but...

Nels Cline is a far better guitarist that Mike McCready.

FACT.

No doubt about it. I LOVE that Mike McCready is in this band....but there are literally thousands of things Nels Cline can do on a guitar that Mike can't possibly do....whereas Nels could do everything Mike does....and better...EXCEPT perhaps smashing a guitar...but again....it doesn't really matter....they're in two completely different bands.
  • Options
    No, Wilco are sorta popular in a cool, hip indie sort of way. Would they sell out MSG two nights in a row? I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

Ask 100 people at random on the street to name one Wilco song, and I'll bet 90 percent of the people can't.

Ask 100 people at random to name one PJ song, and I'll bet at least 90 percent can come up with Betterman.

Just because you like or I like someone doesn't make them "very popular." Well-liked in your own personal musical circles does not equal "very popular" or mainstream.

Relevancy doesn't have anything to do with popularity.

But if I had to choose between PJ MSG or Wilco in a 1200 person venue on the same night, Wilco wins every single time.
  • Options
    No doubt about it. I LOVE that Mike McCready is in this band....but there are literally thousands of things Nels Cline can do on a guitar that Mike can't possibly do....whereas Nels could do everything Mike does....and better...EXCEPT perhaps smashing a guitar...but again....it doesn't really matter....they're in two completely different bands.
    mike can do it, he just chooses not to. he repeats himself anymore, he's gotten lazy. keep in mind mike is the reason i started playing. as for wilco and msg, I think they could sell out MSG rather easily. you would be surprised.
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

• Options
    Detroit2NYCDetroit2NYC New York, NY Posts: 337
    Ugh! Wilco is just one of those bands that I CANNOT get into! I'm not being an ignorant Pearl Jam elitist either. I listen to a sh!t ton of other bands, and see way more non-pearl jam shows than Pearl Jam shows on average, but Wilco just leaves me with an elevator music feel.

I have tried too. I was there for their set at Lollapalooza 2006, and yes they did have a huge sound problem, but still. It was awful.

I even went to see Nels Cline in a solo project in NYC. That wasn't soo terrible but it did not move me.

What it boils down to is this: Wilco has NEVER blown my skirt up! But Pearl Jam? Does it EVER SINGLE F'n TIME! :D
  • Options

What it boils down to is this: Wilco has NEVER blown my skirt up! But Pearl Jam? Does it EVER SINGLE F'n TIME! :D
    what can you even say to that really?

• Options
    Also, this might piss people off but...

Nels Cline is a far better guitarist that Mike McCready.

FACT.

I wouldn't say "better" but I would certainly say different. Cline uses all sorts of experimental equipment and distortion techniques (especially in his solo projects). Perhaps that makes him more adventurous or allows him to cover a broader scope of guitar playing, but that does not, by definition make him a "better" guitar player. What Mike does, he does brilliantly. He does not need fancy pedals and crazy techniques.

Is my mom's spaghetti any less amazing just because its the only dish she ventures to make? NO!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say "better" but I would certainly say different. Cline uses all sorts of experimental equipment and distortion techniques (especially in his solo projects). Perhaps that makes him more adventurous or allows him to cover a broader scope of guitar playing, but that does not, by definition make him a "better" guitar player. What Mike does, he does brilliantly. He does not need fancy pedals and crazy techniques.

Is my mom's spaghetti any less amazing just because its the only dish she ventures to make? NO!

I don't really buy this. Mike uses a shit load of pedals. I just think skills-wise. Nels has him beat. Mike seems to reuse various phrases countless times in his solos and has been for years.
  • Options
    I don't really buy this. Mike uses a shit load of pedals. I just think skills-wise. Nels has him beat. Mike seems to reuse various phrases countless times in his solos and has been for years.

I don't think its because Mike can't, I think its simply because he choses not to. Furthermore, I don't think that fact alone discounts the work he does for the band.

Clearly, what he's doing works. We wouldn't be here, in this thread right now, if we didn't like what he was doing, right?
  • Options
    Mike seems to reuse various phrases countless times in his solos and has been for years.

EXACTLY.
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    Wilco is more relevant to Wlico fans. So who gives a shit anyway?
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    I don't think its because Mike can't, I think its simply because he choses not to. Furthermore, I don't think that fact alone discounts the work he does for the band.

Clearly, what he's doing works. We wouldn't be here, in this thread right now, if we didn't like what he was doing, right?

I'm just saying that I wish Mike would do something a bit more innovative. There is nothing more irritating than a lazy guitar player, when you know he could be better.
  • Options
    I'm just saying that I wish Mike would do something a bit more innovative. There is nothing more irritating than a lazy guitar player, when you know he could be better.

Understood.

I would be curious to see what he could do, if indeed, he decided to push the envelope and experiment a little.

Then again, I'll always love him, one trick pony as he may be :)
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think some are having trouble with the term relavance. The stones can still pack MSG or whereever for however many nights they want because they were popular and that carries over. They have not been relavent in years though.

I think what the OP may mean is their sound is fresh and more interesting in many ways then what we have heard from PJ since 2000 and beyond.

As for the Nels Cline debate. Nels is a better guitarist, but it depends on what style you like. Mike is really good at giving you a nice solo with a warm feeling. Nels is very good at making a complicated jazz style solo. I appreciate both for what they are, but I think Nels if he wanted to could do more crossover work and cover more ground then Mikey. That said sometimes i think Mike gets held back a little in PJ i some of my favorite stuff of his was from mad season.

Again good bands that are a bit different. I think the reason a lot of fans who open up their ears to music tend to like both of them is because the root of their music is geniune. They both really like making music and yeah they have to make soem cash doing it but they did not join a rock band to be rich. It was about the music. That shows in both of their songs to me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    How can one judge art? You either like it or you don't.

Both of theses bands are great artists. They express themselves through music. Which is better than the other? Who knows and who cares. I will enjoy it and be thankful that people who have the talent to produce music that allows me to escape once in awhile continue to do so.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I think some are having trouble with the term relavance. The stones can still pack MSG or whereever for however many nights they want because they were popular and that carries over. They have not been relavent in years though.

I think what the OP may mean is their sound is fresh and more interesting in many ways then what we have heard from PJ since 2000 and beyond.

As for the Nels Cline debate. Nels is a better guitarist, but it depends on what style you like. Mike is really good at giving you a nice solo with a warm feeling. Nels is very good at making a complicated jazz style solo. I appreciate both for what they are, but I think Nels if he wanted to could do more crossover work and cover more ground then Mikey. That said sometimes i think Mike gets held back a little in PJ i some of my favorite stuff of his was from mad season.

Again good bands that are a bit different. I think the reason a lot of fans who open up their ears to music tend to like both of them is because the root of their music is geniune. They both really like making music and yeah they have to make soem cash doing it but they did not join a rock band to be rich. It was about the music. That shows in both of their songs to me.

Well said. I think you pretty much nailed it. (except I'm still finding the word "better" a bit hard to swallow)
  • Options
    distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    this is a ridiculous argument. the purpose of both bands are entirely different. that being said, nils is a way more talented guitarist than mike. or at least that's the way it looks from what they've shown us. mike is sort of a one trick pony and nils is just brilliant all over the place.

if you like mike's style, that doesn't make him a better player. you know??
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    this is a ridiculous argument. the purpose of both bands are entirely different. that being said, nils is a way more talented guitarist than mike. or at least that's the way it looks from what they've shown us. mike is sort of a one trick pony and nils is just brilliant all over the place.

if you like mike's style, that doesn't make him a better player. you know??

Doesn't make him "worse" either though! ;)
  • Options
    Doesn't make him "worse" either though! ;)
    no one is saying either is bad. i read a mikey interview a while back that said he went more into the blues shtick he's stuck in. pretty much since 04 he's been using the same solos over and over. maybe he's being held back, maybe he's holding himself back. take the pedals out of the equation too. nels doesn't necessarily rely on them. you would have to see them live to be able to fully debate this argument. head over to wilcoworld.net and go to the roadcase. nels blows mikey out of the water right now. they are both great, one is better though. it pains me to say that too. like i said before, i started playing because of mike.

• Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    jordan2345 wrote:

Did you really just compare PJ to American Idol???

I haven't heard Wilco, so I can't compare - but seems a bit off to come to a PJ forum and put them down.
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    *dawn* wrote:
    seems a bit off to come to a PJ forum and put them down.

obviously, i disagree with this. some of here are not yes people. everything should be up for debate.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    jordan2345 wrote:
    WHO IN THE WORLD IS WILCO. U MUST BE CRAZY SOME BAND I'VE NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE IS MORE RELEVANT THEN PJ U ARE SICK SON JUST SICK.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    WHO IN THE WORLD IS WILCO. U MUST BE CRAZY SOME BAND I'VE NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE IS MORE RELEVANT THEN PJ U ARE SICK SON JUST SICK.

you're the type of guy who listens to like 3 bands, yes?
  • Options
    relevant how exactly?
    jordan2345 wrote:
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    jordan2345 wrote:
    AND MY BALL SWEAT IS MORE RELEVANT THAN PEARL JAM TOO...
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16