65 dollars?

Comments

• pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Eddie Vedder isn't an international act....Pearl Jam is. $65 is too much for Ed solo.

I'd argue that the band is very much about making money nowadays and that's understandable. I mean, they probably didn't make the money from '92 to '95 that the biggest band in the world is supposed to make with the non-ticketmaster tour and stuff to that effect. Tickets for the Binaural tour were $35 and tickets for the Riot Act tour were $55. I've heard people on here say that that is because of inflation. a twenty dollar price difference for concert tickets over 3 years? yeah right. that band changed their ways. hurts me in the pocket but $60 is very fair to see an act like Pearl Jam. but as I said before, it's way to much to see Ed solo.

It will only be too much if it turns out that he doesnt sell out any or all of the venues. If he does, then it wont be at all now will it? I am not arguing with your feelings on the subject, just looking at it from a different perspecive. At the end of the day, isnt it all about supply and demand? PJ or no PJ, Ed is a draw. imho
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • PJ or no PJ, Ed is a draw. imho

I have to disagree. Outside diehard pearl jam fans, Ed Vedder alone is not a big draw. Will be interesting to see how full each venue is. Sure there will be rabid PJ fans there, but outside of that, I don't see the casual pearl jam fan showing up for an Ed set.
  • The tickets are $65 because after bitching when it is announced everybody pays it the day the tickets go on sale without hesitation.

Still, I grant you it is kind of weird thinking about PJ ticket prices 15 years ago...
    www.myspace.com/andreasjunge
    I have to disagree. Outside diehard pearl jam fans, Ed Vedder alone is not a big draw. Will be interesting to see how full each venue is. Sure there will be rabid PJ fans there, but outside of that, I don't see the casual pearl jam fan showing up for an Ed set.

Agreed...What I should have said was that with the size of then venue there will be enough "diehards" that this will be a success. I was trying to say that for PJ fans, this will work. Outside of that, I think you are def right.

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • It will only be too much if it turns out that he doesnt sell out any or all of the venues. If he does, then it wont be at all now will it? I am not arguing with your feelings on the subject, just looking at it from a different perspecive. At the end of the day, isnt it all about supply and demand? PJ or no PJ, Ed is a draw. imho

I totally agree. supply and demand. people will pay for tickets and he'll probably sell out most venues.

It just seems to me that Vedder and Pearl Jam used to be for the 'little guy.' ya know, the college couple who is broke but still drove two hours to see them. but now, I think this guy sums up why Eddie's solo ticket prices are so high pretty well:

fanch75 wrote:
    Because socialites only perform for the Bourgeoisie
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Last summer, PJ were supposed to play Düsseldorf; germany, in a football stadium in front of 50,000 people. Tickets were about $70.

They changed venues, playing for 12,000 in a hockey arena instead. Organization was so bad that out of the six times I've seen them, this was by far the worst PJ show.

This might not happen to Ed solo, but the bottom line is:

I'd still pay that price and so will enough people so that the shows will be sold out.

Unfortunately it is not even worth arguing about - maybe PJ see it the same way these days and choose not to argue.
    www.myspace.com/andreasjunge
    I totally agree. supply and demand. people will pay for tickets and he'll probably sell out most venues.

It just seems to me that Vedder and Pearl Jam used to be for the 'little guy.' ya know, the college couple who is broke but still drove two hours to see them. but now, I think this guy sums up why Eddie's solo ticket prices are so high pretty well:

I agree with that as well. I see it a couple different ways. You know, it was easy bck in the 90's to be angry and fight for the little guy and all the things that go with that. I think they sacrificed some of the rewards they could have reaped back then both on principal, and that they truly wanted it to be about the music and doing things their way.

As they have gotten older, while I still think that the core principals they live by are still intact(speaking up for what you believe in, give to charity, go in a musical direction THEY want be damned how it sells) I also think that at some point it had to be about making sure that their families and themselves for tht matter are well taken care of for their lifetime. Maybe it has something to do with them thinking that alot of their fans have grown with them and can afford to pay higher prices, and the price of putting something on has become more expensive as well.

I think there are many many reason for the ticket increases, and while I think some are justified and some arent, as I said, I think some of it has to be about them sometime. I dont think it has ever been all about us as fans, but I do believe that they do care about their fans and know that without us they would have nothing too. Maybe that is a little too romantic of a way to look at it, but that is how I feel about it. Not saying that it is right...Just saying.:)

• I like how people are comparing the prices to the prices of artist they saw in past years...doesn't anybody know the price for things goes up?

I think people will be shocked on what the ticket prices will be if they tour...i'd guess $75ish a ticket, $140-160 for a pair depending on location/venue.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I like how people are comparing the prices to the prices of artist they saw in past years...doesn't anybody know the price for things goes up?

I think people will be shocked on what the ticket prices will be if they tour...i'd guess $75ish a ticket, $140-160 for a pair depending on location/venue.

I think the best way to judge how fair prices are is to compare them to other musical acts that are also touring; no doubt, inflation is an issue, although as a previous poster mentioned, 35 dollars to 55 between the Binaural and Riot Act is pretty steep. So that's why I brought up other acts, and even taking those into account these prices seem a little high. I mean, I love PJ but I'm also willing to call a spade a spade, and 65 dollars is more than other acts that are of equal or even greater name recognition. My main question would be is wondering if almost all of this is profit. Again, assuming it is a 'solo' show with just Eddie and some guitars, it would be a pretty cheap tour to put on.

Obviously, the band and Eddie CAN do it and get away with it; the majority of their fans are probably people who were in their teens and early 20s in the early 90s, who are now in their mid to late 30's and making some change. It just means that certain portions of their fanbase, particularly younger fans who have climbed onboard more recently, will be unwilling or unable to go.
  • Tickets to an arena Foo Fighters show with a big stage setup and lights and multiple opening acts are $45. Ed sitting on a chair on the stage is $20 more than that? I was pretty shocked at how outrageous the prices were. I think Lenny Kravitz just played here for like $30. More power to him, I would certainly pay $65 for a ticket if it was the east coast, but long gone are the days of reasonable tickets from the Pearl Jam camp.
  • Is there a website that breaks down how much bands make on ticket sales and how much the have to pay per show? I would like to see how much bands are making compared to the price of tickets. Does Forbs have those numbers? It would also be cool to see how much they make from cd’s. How do rappers make so much money without touring? Does the record label give them money up front?
  • why $65 for Ed shows?

Dont tell anyone but, I would pay double that!
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • inflation is a bitch
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    ....hmmmm, i would like to know Ed's thoughts about the price...
    Did He change so much for 15 years? Does He know about the price and agree with that? Who knows? Maybe He's just like other people - He want to earn money, so if He can, why He woudn't use the chance?
    I am really curious...
    But for me... well, it will be nice, if Ed would just say that He cares about the money. Nobody said He's pefrect. It hurts, but I think, He might be this kind

BTW. It's very disappointing. i guess He forgot how is to be "a little bit" poorer. I hope i am wrong
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    maybe ... the whole band will show up
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Because the venues are five times smaller. It makes perfect sense.

He is giving some of the profit to the Free the West Memphis 3 fund...to help them pay for legal fees.

$65 ain't shit to see a rock and roll legend!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • if i could have the chance like you to see him, i would pay the double! but i cant i am so far away from you, so please go and enjoy it for me, and then write about the show
  • UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    Because the venues are five times smaller. It makes perfect sense.

He is giving some of the profit to the Free the West Memphis 3 fund...to help them pay for legal fees.

Here here
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Well, when Chris Cornell played the Palace here in Louisville, tix were bout 50 bucks. It's a very small and beautiful venue.
    He played about 2 1/2 hours with full band and brought the house down!!!!!!

yeh but you can't compare these two guys...Chris Cornell's name as a solo artist does'nt attract the same kind of critical acclaim...Ed CAN charge that much, that's why he does! And besides, Chris does modelling shoots and jeans ads so he can afford to drop his asking price :D
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    these places avg 2000 seats
    @ $65 = 130000
    x 7 venues =
    - 70000 venue fees
    - 103000 15 days in cali=
    - 500000 wm3 =
    300000 clear
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • people here bitch about $65 for a ticket to see Mr. Vedder.....

yet they pay $200 for a book with pictures of posters....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Because the venues are five times smaller. It makes perfect sense.

They are auctioning off two seats a night and that profit is going to the wm3.

I think this is a bit premature on the ticket price. If Ed goes out there and place 2-2.5 hours and puts on a kick ass show... I don't think ANYONE would complain. I just hope he makes it worth the money. And IMO, when I had a friend call and tell me about the EV solo tour... I was expecting ~25-30 dollars a show. It's ed up on stage with a guitar, how expensive could that be to put on?
  • why $65 for Ed shows?

It's a nice round number.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • 100 Pacer wrote:
    LOL as i was typing that line, i was thinking to myself "would i get banned for discussing this?", but i don't see that happening, so here goes: on the afternoon of the Benaroya Hall performance, the band members drove the following cars into the venue:

- Jeff drove a black Audi A4 (late-90s model)
    - Mike drove a silver BMW 528i (late-90s model)
    - Stone drove a navy blue Volvo C70 (early-00s model)
    - Matt drove a black BMW M3 (mid-90s model)

did it look like this one?

http://www.clubh2o.com/member_rides.html

aw, is ed the only one supporting american made vehicles?

you guys are hilarious.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    doesn't anybody realize it's not 1993?

do you still get paid the same for your job as you did 15 years ago? if so, i think you should find other employment.......
  • yeh but you can't compare these two guys...Chris Cornell's name as a solo artist does'nt attract the same kind of critical acclaim...Ed CAN charge that much, that's why he does! And besides, Chris does modelling shoots and jeans ads so he can afford to drop his asking price :D

Well, ok, your opinion. I do know one thing... That place was PACKED on a week night for Chris! He did charge bout 60 bucks for another show bout a week later and THAT TOO was packed..
    Even tho I'm a diehard jammer, I'd rather pay 65 bucks for Cornell and his band that Ed on a stool and some others jamming with him anyday.
  • people here bitch about $65 for a ticket to see Mr. Vedder.....

yet they pay $200 for a book with pictures of posters....

:D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • As usual, there is yet another thing for someone in this community to bitch about.

If you can afford to pay $65+ to see Ed in concert, you will do it with no questions asked. If you can't, you will bitch about it.

For once, put shit into perspective, it's not the end of the world!

And yes, if my ass lived on the West Coast, I would sacrifice a bill to buy a ticket to see Eddie. He's worth the price that is being asked! There are a lot of expenses involved in touring, and the smaller the venue, the smaller the profit margin.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Ah, true dat. I saw him in Vegas for $40 at the Palms Pearl, an awesome small theater/club. He had to pay his band members and yep, 2 1/2 hour show. The whole time I was thinking how cool it would be if Pearl Jam played 2 nights there someday instead of MGM (Tool did it a few months ago).
    Is there a more fitting venue than "The Pearl"?
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• If you think $65 is bad,
    remember that the dollar has been inflated (lost in value) THIRTY THREE PERCENT in the last FIVE YEARS.

So,
    Would you have paid $42.25 to see Eddie on a stool in 2002? Or $30 in the mid '90s? Or $25 in the early 90's?

Because that is what we are talking about folks. (i think this is from the film, End of Suburbia, if i remember correctly. seen too many videos to recall, though)

Its just inflation.
    Deal with it or do something about it.
    (like, maybe you should have voted for Ron Paul in your primary instead of for Obamanomics, which is realy just more inflation)

;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?