**Hendrix appreciation thread***

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Waitin on my Electric Lady and First Rays.....preorder vinyl.
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Got an email this morning that all my Hendrix discs were shipped out this morning. Can't wait to hear Valleys of Neptune. I was listening to the original LP's from the 60's and hoping that they didn't fuck with the remasters too much. The original mix is SOOOOOOOOOO fuckin sweet.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    youngster wrote:
    Got an email this morning that all my Hendrix discs were shipped out this morning. Can't wait to hear Valleys of Neptune. I was listening to the original LP's from the 60's and hoping that they didn't fuck with the remasters too much. The original mix is SOOOOOOOOOO fuckin sweet.

Electric Ladyland just showed up....#3673.... Didn't know these were numbered......

Packaging is top of the line and the vinyl, clean as a whistle. Can't wait to give it a listen.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    Going straight to Newbury Comics after work. :thumbup:

(that's about the only music store left in Massachusetts that's not inside of a mall)
  • Thought I'd revive this thread.

Jimi=The Guitar God
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Thought I'd revive this thread.

Jimi=The Guitar God
    Thanks Fenway, I missed it somehow last time around. A coincidence tonight as I was just listening to Electric Ladyland for the first time in months an hour ago. Jimi is the ultimate guitar legend. The first 3 albums are still streets ahead of anything from that era. Favourite song though and solo is Here It Comes from South Saturn Delta. Amazing music and musician!! :D

#1 Jimi
    #2 Eddie Van Halen
    #3 Mike McCready
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,444
    veddertown wrote:
    Thought I'd revive this thread.

Jimi=The Guitar God
    Thanks Fenway, I missed it somehow last time around. A coincidence tonight as I was just listening to Electric Ladyland for the first time in months an hour ago. Jimi is the ultimate guitar legend. The first 3 albums are still streets ahead of anything from that era. Favourite song though and solo is Here It Comes from South Saturn Delta. Amazing music and musician!! :D

#1 Jimi
    #2 Jimmy page
    #3 Eddie Van Halen
    #4 Mike McCready
    fixed
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Guitar Legends magazine has an all Hendrix issue until January 2011.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Get_Right wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

Jimi=The Guitar God

#1 Jimi/Jimmy
    #2 Gilmour
    #3 SRV
    #4 EVH
    fixed

refixed
  • joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    i really like jimmy page and think he's a great guitarist, but I dont think he's at hendrix's level, if he had of remained sober and not caught up in his drug addiction i think he could have been as good if not better then jimi
    joely_91 wrote:
    i really like jimmy page and think he's a great guitarist, but I dont think he's at hendrix's level, if he had of remained sober and not caught up in his drug addiction i think he could have been as good if not better then jimi

Jimi od'd and couldn't play music anymore. Page had a few bad tours. What's really worse?

Page is far more diverse and the leader and architect of the better band. Jimi edges him out with overall dexterity, but Page takes the cake in every other aspect.
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    veddertown wrote:
    Can people stop fixing things!! It wasn't broken..... :D

#1 Jimi
    #2 Eddie Van Halen
    #3 Mike McCready
    #4 SRV
    #5 Rory Gallagher
    #6 Jimmy Page
    #7 Richie Blackmore
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=han2KehB3CY

KB Hallen, Copenhagen, September 3rd 1970.
  • joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    DewieCox wrote:
    joely_91 wrote:

Jimi od'd and couldn't play music anymore. Page had a few bad tours. What's really worse?

Page is far more diverse and the leader and architect of the better band. Jimi edges him out with overall dexterity, but Page takes the cake in every other aspect.

I suppose your right although jimi did go out whilst on top and we will never get to know what he could have accomplished, and page had a sort of gradual decline before getting himself together.....the album he did with the crowes is a pretty good listen, in either respect i think they are both great and i guess it comes down to personal preference.....i guess machine gun solo and guitar work from that band of gypsys album speaks to me a little more then any of pages although i love whole lotta love, and since i've been loving you. :)
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    a great loss 42 years ago today

decided to watch a little of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXTw_v96ek
    He was just getting started. I would have loved to see what he would have done. Would he have gone the jazz route? R&B? Either way, he would have been successful in whatever direction he went.

Thanks for the great music, Jimi!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • I listened to Electric Ladyland yesterday in Jimi's honour. It's still such a brilliant album.
  • ive been listening to Machine gun alot lately, coincidentally. Both the Fillmore version and the Oklahomo version. No matter how many times I see those, my jaw still drops. Unreal that 40 years later what Jimi did still seems completely unreachable to pretty much every single guitarist in the world.
    ive been listening to Machine gun alot lately, coincidentally. Both the Fillmore version and the Oklahomo version. No matter how many times I see those, my jaw still drops. Unreal that 40 years later what Jimi did still seems completely unreachable to pretty much every single guitarist in the world.
    That's my favorite Jimi solo. I sometimes wonder if he was human at all whenever I hear that solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9AaQQbvT4M
    tumblr_me5rsv5nuO1qen12oo1_500.jpg
    norm wrote:
    tumblr_me5rsv5nuO1qen12oo1_500.jpg
    Legendary guitar god.
  • I always found this :lol:

Hendrix-Monkees1.jpg
    I always found this :lol:

Hendrix-Monkees1.jpg
    :lol::lol:
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

Hendrix-Monkees1.jpg

Kind of an odd pairing. I'm sure Jimi blew the roof off the joint.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:

Hendrix-Monkees1.jpg

Kind of an odd pairing. I'm sure Jimi blew the roof off the joint.

:lol: you've never heard about that tour?
    Hendrix joined the tour in progress in Jacksonville, Florida, on July 8. Predictably, the reception given to the now-legendary rock icon by the young fans of the bubblegum Monkees was less than worshipful. As Mickey Dolenz later recalled, "Jimi would amble out onto the stage, fire up the amps and break out into 'Purple Haze,' and the kids in the audience would instantly drown him out with 'We want Daaavy!' God, was it embarrassing."

Jimi Hendrix managed to get through a total of only seven dates with the Monkees, culminating in his final show on July 17, 1967, which may or may not have ended with Hendrix saluting the crowd with his middle finger. There was no truth to the widely circulated rumor that he'd been kicked off of the tour after protests by the Daughters of the American Revolution that his show was "too erotic."
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... he-monkees
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Happy 70th birthday Jimi!!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    The most innovative guitar player, the coolest vocalist too... I believe that somewhere out there in the funkiest, grooviest place to hangout in the heavens, in a cloud of purple haze, Jimi is in good company and quite enjoying his birthday.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    (Rather than start a new Jimi thread, I pulled this one up)

As much as I'm a huge Jimi fan and as much as I'm generally not at all a fan of sampling, I really dig this number by Beautiful People called "Happiness on the Wind".  Rilly groovy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf7AYlDmuqI

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Among all of the several books I have on Jimi Hendrix, many of which I've read, one little one escaped my notice until recently (probably because I keep it with my 33 1/3 book collection), John Perry's Electric Ladyland.  This is a marvelous little book and quickly becoming one of my favorite Hendrix books.  Perry was there in London at the beginning, when Jimi went over with Chas Chandler to start up The Experience.  He saw Hendrix several times in some of the small clubs in the early days and his descriptions of those shows are vibrant, detailed and exciting.  And his writings about Electric Ladyland are revealing.  Highly recommended! 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.