The Golf Thread

Comments

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    The morning matches for tomorrow are set! All times are Eastern.

2:45 AM -- Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson (USA) vs. Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer (EUR)
    3:00 AM -- Stewart Cink and Matt Kuchar (USA) vs. Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell (EUR)
    3:15 AM -- Steve Stricker and Tiger Woods (USA) vs. Ian Poulter and Ross Fisher (EUR)
    3:30 AM -- Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton (USA) vs. Luke Donald and Padraig Harrington (EUR)

These will all be difficult for the US. I like our chances in matches 1 and 3. 2 and 4 will be difficult to get a half.

match 1 - us
    match 2 - euro
    match 3 - us
    match 4 - euro

and are those the east coast times??? so this will be in the middle of the night for me?? i hate watching sports on tape! :x
  • Yeah, unfortunately that's 11:45PM norm time.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Yeah, unfortunately that's 11:45PM norm time.

all sports should take place in the us! ;) :P :lol:
  • norm wrote:

I'll play my vuvuzela in agreement of that statement!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    norm wrote:

I'll play my vuvuzela in agreement of that statement!

:lol::lol:
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    nuffingman wrote:
    I'm still trying to get fired up by this. I'm normally a dribbling wreck by the end of the Sunday but it's not happening. :evil:
    At least give us a prediction from the other end of the pond. Do you like the Euros chances? Will the US keep the cup and win on Euro soil for the first time in over a decade?

So nuffingman, you're saying my lonely posts in this thread all week haven't fired you up? :lol:
    OK here goes.

Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson (USA) vs. Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer (EUR) If Westwood is fully fit EU
    Stewart Cink and Matt Kuchar (USA) vs. Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell (EUR) Half
    Steve Stricker and Tiger Woods (USA) vs. Ian Poulter and Ross Fisher (EUR) Half
    Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton (USA) vs. Luke Donald and Padraig Harrington (EUR) EU

3-1 to Europe after those 4

Oh and I think Europe will win but it will be tight and not by the normal massacre
  • You're right nuffingman, Westwood and Kaymer will be a force. Phil and Dustin will need some magic to even get a half in this match.

We're 3 hours away. Time to catch a little nap, then its my biennial tradition of a Bailey's and coffee for the opening ball. This shit only happens once every two years guys! Get fired up!

celebration-usa.jpg
    America, fuck yeah.
    If the weather in Wales is anything like we have where I live it's going to be horrific. Expect snorkels and flippers.

Apparently the American players and fans have found the expressions used by European fans to describe certain shots puzzling. So to help the Ryder Cup committee have handed out a list to explain what we strange Europeans are going on about.

A Paris Hilton - an expensive hole
    A Diego Maradonna - a very nasty 5 footer
    A Salman Rushdie - an impossible read
    A Rock Hudson - thought it was straight, but it wasn't
    A Cuban - needs one more revolution
    An Elton John - a big bender that lips the rim
    An Adolf Hitler - two shots in the bunker
    A Yasser Arafat - ugly and in the sand
    A Kate Winslett - a bit fat but otherwise perfect
    A Rodney King - over-clubbed
    An OJ Simpson - got away with it
    A Princess Grace - should have taken a driver
    A Princess Di - shouldn't have taken a driver
    A Ladyboy - looks like an easy hole but all is not what it seems
    An elephant's arse - high and shitty
    A condom - safe but didn't feel real good
    A circus tent - a BIG top
    An Anna Kournikova - looks great, but unlikely to get a result
    A sister-in-law - it's up there but shouldn't be
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    nuffingman wrote:
    If the weather in Wales is anything like we have where I live it's going to be horrific. Expect snorkels and flippers.

Apparently the American players and fans have found the expressions used by European fans to describe certain shots puzzling. So to help the Ryder Cup committee have handed out a list to explain what we strange Europeans are going on about.

A Paris Hilton - an expensive hole
    A Diego Maradonna - a very nasty 5 footer
    A Salman Rushdie - an impossible read
    A Rock Hudson - thought it was straight, but it wasn't
    A Cuban - needs one more revolution
    An Elton John - a big bender that lips the rim
    An Adolf Hitler - two shots in the bunker
    A Yasser Arafat - ugly and in the sand
    A Kate Winslett - a bit fat but otherwise perfect
    A Rodney King - over-clubbed
    An OJ Simpson - got away with it
    A Princess Grace - should have taken a driver
    A Princess Di - shouldn't have taken a driver
    A Ladyboy - looks like an easy hole but all is not what it seems
    An elephant's arse - high and shitty
    A condom - safe but didn't feel real good
    A circus tent - a BIG top
    An Anna Kournikova - looks great, but unlikely to get a result
    A sister-in-law - it's up there but shouldn't be

:lol::lol::lol:
    Just tuned in to see them start, wow very wet out there. Sur[rized they haven't called play yet. There are friggin puddles on the greens and rivers in the fairways. You can play in rain, but not that shit. They have to squeegee the players line before he putts for crying out loud
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    I guess they finally suspended play
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    I haven't been watching it but it is horrific here. Pissing down with rain and the trees bent over in the wind. The weather forecast says it will be better tomorrow but could be heavy rain again on Sunday. I expect they'll be glad when it's over and probably won't care who wins. :lol::lol:
  • :(
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    It's raining so hard we have rainsuit malfunction. :o

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

:lol::lol: I'm getting ready to bail out. It's feckin dreadful as the Irish would say.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    A little light reading (from a Euro website) on the conditions while you wait ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robhodgetts/ ... _rain.html
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    chime wrote:
    A little light reading (from a Euro website) on the conditions while you wait ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robhodgetts/ ... _rain.html
    Brilliant!

"You've got Big Macs, we've got Gmac." :lol::lol:

33d8oia.gif
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    hmmmmm... who would have thought it might not rain in October? and in fucking Wales... in October??!?!?

It rains all the time in Wales even in July!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • This has ruined my day.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    This has ruined my day.

Yeah, this sucks. I was excited when I saw it was delayed because I figured that meant more golf for me to watch at work.
    Don't be surprised if they struggle to finish this. Wales in October.... ludicrous! Plus it's getting dark pretty early so there's not too much time to catch up.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    nuffingman wrote:
    Don't be surprised if they struggle to finish this. Wales in October.... ludicrous! Plus it's getting dark pretty early so there's not too much time to catch up.

Read they already making plans to extend it to Monday.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

Really? It'll lose it's impact. A big Sunday finish is what we want, not listening on the radio at work.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    nuffingman wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

Really? It'll lose it's impact. A big Sunday finish is what we want, not listening on the radio at work.

i think the ryder cup has lost some of its impact since the full on hate has been toned down ... i really think the format should include the international presidents cup teams ...

USA Europe Rest Of The World

Winning Team defends title the following year against loser from the previous event ...
  • Play just resumed. Looks like today won't be a total loss.
    interesting how sergio didn't make this team ... but is there as a vice-captain ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    interesting how sergio didn't make this team ... but is there as a vice-captain ...
    Yeah, I thought the same thing. Poor Sergio. He can have any woman he wants, but the one he really wanted (Greg Norman's daughter) broke his heart. That's why he's sucked all year.

Also, I thought it was funny that the Euro team stayed focused during today's rain delay by playing Tiger Woods golf on XBox.
    seriously corey...bad rain gear? you know you were gonna be playing in wales, right? :roll:

Rain is an issue, that's for sure, but the real reason for the stoppage at Celtic Manor: the gear selected by the U.S. team to repel the rain wasn't repelling.

Bill Dwyre

October 2, 2010

Newport, Wales
    Advertisement

— Friday was the opening day of the Ryder Cup, a total of only 12 holes had been played by four groups, and there were issues:

1. Apparently, Captain Corey Pavin of the U.S. team and the PGA of America ordered the team rain suits from a company to be known heretofore as Sieve Industries. Chances are, they've also done work for hockey goalies.

2. Noah was not allowed to bring his Ark onto the grounds at Celtic Manor Resort, which was once the home of a golf course — by mid-afternoon Friday it was a place in need of a flotation device.

They stopped play at 9:45 a.m., calling the Twenty Ten course unplayable. It seemed a bit of a hasty decision at the time. Golf officials can be overly cautious, even with lost balls in ponds on the greens.

But then, the real reason for the stoppage came to light. The gear selected by the U.S. team to repel the rain wasn't repelling. Think of draping a huge fishnet over your head and taking a shower and you get the picture. Usually, an issue for golfers in weather such as this is keeping their hands dry. This time, it was their navels.

Adding insult to injury was the reaction of the European team, when the story of the U.S. rain suits was leaked to them.

"Our suits are working fine," said Rory McIlroy, whose team held a 3-1 lead.

Before they called a stop to the proceedings, things were becoming unseemly. There were unconfirmed reports of U.S. players walking near the ropes between shots, begging spectators, all nice and dry in their waterproof outfits from Target and Wal-Mart or the European equivalents, to trade rain suits. The begging quickly got out of hand.

"Do it for your country, or for the game of golf."

"Please, please. I'm soaked and freezing."

"I'll trade you my yacht."

The PGA of America, problem-solving group that it is, took immediate action. They knew, coming on the heels of their recent championship played on a golf course with more sand than the beaches of Normandy, and now having their Ryder Cup in a valley in rainy Wales in October, that there might be some criticism. That PGA tournament had ended with a disqualification of a potential winner and several thousand spectators standing in sand traps that were in play — not exactly the desired crescendo. And now, with the course a swamp and a dozen of its best players unable to get a grip because of the drips, it knew it was time to act.

So U.S. officials went to the public merchandise store and bought new rain suits off the shelves. Happily, there were no reports of sneaking in line. That would have been so ugly American.

Still, the issue remained a hot topic of discussion, which happens when you have 45,000 paying spectators wandering around in muck, and several hundred sports writers stranded in a big media center, with beer supplies dwindling.

Paul Azinger, the winning U.S. captain from 2008, who was here as a TV commentator and thus a member of the stranded media, fueled the fire when he said that getting correct rain suits "is the first thing you take care of."

Pavin, who has had a somewhat rocky start as the U.S. captain, kept his cool when asked about why he let his team get all wet.

"We were disappointed with the performance of them [the rain suits]," he said, "and, you know, we just fixed it."

Pavin also had to fix his gaffe at the opening ceremonies Thursday when he introduced his team and left veteran Stewart Cink sitting there, like a wallflower at a prom dance. Pavin got back to the podium quickly and corrected his oversight. And later discussion concluded that forgetting Cink was not all that stunning, since he is only 6-foot-4 and has won only one British Open.

European Captain Colin Montgomerie was somewhat sensitive to Pavin's oversight and diplomatic at first, when asked about it. But he quickly came to his senses and concluded, after the opening ceremonies, "We are one-up."

As the afternoon dragged on, with the only significant action of the day having taken place at the checkout line of the merchandise tent, officials continued to run a large crawl across course scoreboards and in the media center that said: "Based on the latest forecast, we are still hopeful play will resume this afternoon."

It was just more water torture.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-10 ... int.column
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    can i just say that the US team jerseys are like something from a 1979 Christmas Golf Catalogue! :mrgreen:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Stewie Cink is on fire right now, but the daylight is fading fast.

Also, they had the PGA guy on ESPN saying they've reworked the format for the next two days. They feel this will help to get it all in by Sunday, but Monday seems most likely at this point.
    americans have the momentum now ... europe needs a stoppage now ...