The Golf Thread

Comments

• polaris_x wrote:
    i played 28 holes in 2 hrs 5 mins with a buddy on a cart ... granted it was more of an executive course with 12 par 3's, 5 par 4's and a par 5 ...
    That's pretty cool. You guys must have been effin flying around the course. Just get up there and hit it, I say.
    polaris_x wrote:
    feel bad for DJ ... it's a stupid rule on a wacky course but at the same time there were notes left in the locker room and a lot of golfers read it ...
    Yeah, I've been thinking about this whole situation. He didn't even bother to ask an official about it. It's the biggest shot of his life and he doesn't do his due diligence in understanding everything about his situation. That's poor on his part, especially with the posted rules in the clubhouse. That being said, this kid's gonna be a fan favorite from here on out. He's on the Ryder Cup team (and we saw what that did 2 years ago for Anthony Kim's popularity), and since that German guy won Sunday, we will be remembering Dustin for a while. The crowds love stories like that.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Yeah, I've been thinking about this whole situation. He didn't even bother to ask an official about it. It's the biggest shot of his life and he doesn't do his due diligence in understanding everything about his situation. That's poor on his part, especially with the posted rules in the clubhouse. That being said, this kid's gonna be a fan favorite from here on out. He's on the Ryder Cup team (and we saw what that did 2 years ago for Anthony Kim's popularity), and since that German guy won Sunday, we will be remembering Dustin for a while. The crowds love stories like that.

yeah ... the hard part is that there was a huge crowd who were basically standing in the bunker ... apparently, if you go back out there now, it's pretty obvious it's a bunker and the few pictures i've seen of it - i can definitely see it ... at the end of the day, i think he should have known but at the same time it's a stupid local rule that could have cost a guy his first major ...

in any case - the kid can flat out play ...
  • Low numbers galore today and tomorrow in Greensboro. Kevin Na just shot 61 today. Not a very strong field this week, but John Daly did make the cut, so cheers to him. Some of my other favs near the top are Justin Leonard and Jerry Kelly (my personal favorite on the tour).

Most players aren't going this week to rest up for the FedEx Cup playoffs, starting next week at the Barclays in NY.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    Surprised to see this topic doesn't have it's own thread.

How many golfers do we have out in Pearl Jam land?

What are your favorite courses to play? Anybody ever play the greats (St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, Augusta, Winged Foot)?

I LOVE to golf. Unfortunately, I haven't the time to play as much as I would like, but I am working on that. I would have to say that my favorite place to play is Hawaii. AWESOME. As for playing the more famous courses, I don't see that happening any time soon; I have a lot of work to do before even considering those. :problem:
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Some thoughts from the last few weeks:

Pavin takes Ricky Fowler?!?! Wow, was he even alive when Justin Leonard made the famous putt in 99 at Brookline?

Pavin also says he may bench Tiger at the Ryder Cup because he sucks. THEN WHY THE F DID YOU PICK HIM, COREY?

Kudos to Kuchar for a fantastic season. Depending on what happens today, he might be in contention for player of the year honors.

Dustin Johnson's only 1 shot back. Winning today would go a long way to repairing the psychological damage caused by the rules disaster at Whistling Straits. The crowds should be behind him this afternoon.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Not a bad days work for Jim Furyk. Only $10 mil.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Look @ Johnny Miller with that stupid baseball hat on! What a dope.

Congrats Jimmy Furyk. Now bring that game to Celtic Manor next week and help us keep the Cup!
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    I guess a little redemption for the early suspension for sleeping in, that'll teach them.

The only thing that sucked about today was that I had Justin Rose to win just the tournament, not the whole FedEx cup thing, but if he had won today. I propably would have won this season long golf pool I'm in, and that would have equaled $5000

Thanks for showing up Justin :(
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Look @ Johnny Miller with that stupid baseball hat on! What a dope.

Congrats Jimmy Furyk. Now bring that game to Celtic Manor next week and help us keep the Cup!

Yeah, I was wondering why he was wearing that dumb hat.

Next week should be fun.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Anyone here get a hole in one?

I've gotten close a couple of times.

Just last week, par 3 (175 yds). Pond on the right front of the green, slight breeze to the back. I was sucking all day. Pull out the 6, and rip it. Two hopped with a tight backspin and hit the pin. Rolled back about 12-14 inches.
    Ugh! I thought I had it. :cry: Damn near missed the putt too! :lol: !!!

Before that I had one about 3 inches away.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    mca47 wrote:

Just last week, par 3 (175 yds). Pond on the right front of the green, slight breeze to the back. I was sucking all day. Pull out the 6, and rip it. Two hopped with a tight backspin and hit the pin. Rolled back about 12-14 inches.

I had one about 8 years ago. It was a 155 yard par 3. I hit a 6 iron as the wind was behind but unfortunately you couldn't see the base of the flag from the tee. We couldn't see my ball when we arrived at the green but there it was sitting in the hole. The guys I played with presented me with a small trophy the following week which had "Lucky Bastard" engraved and the date. There was a tee peg glued inside the cup which the ball I used still sits on to this day.
    Haven't had 1 yet, was also very close one time. It was an elevated tee box. So the distance to the cup was something like 98 yards. Sounds very easy, but IMO a tough hole. Hit my wedge, landed and stuck, was about 10-12 inches away. I hate to say it, but I only made par :evil: I pysched myself out to much before I got there, now it was downhill and it broke to the left, I just choked
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    BLACK35 wrote:
    I just choked

A phrase I know very well and it always applied to short putts. :o :?
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    edited September 2010
    mca47 wrote:

Yup. Grayhawk, Raptor 13. Apr 2, 2007.

Par 3, 175 yards uphill. Drained it with a 6 iron.

The feeling was indescribable.

http://www.dreamt.org/spinfrog/otherpics/h-i-o-1.jpg
    http://www.dreamt.org/spinfrog/otherpics/h-i-o-2.jpg
    Post edited by BinFrog on
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    BinFrog wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Yup. Grayhawk, Raptor 13. Apr 2, 2007.

Par 3, 175 yards uphill. Drained it with a 6 iron.

The feeling was indescribable.

That's awesome. In high school, I put one about 4 inches from the hole. That's as close as I have been.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    All this talk about Ireland and Irish women ...isn't the Ryder Cup in Wales :?
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    chime wrote:

is it just me or is the lead up to this ryder cup been pretty dull? ... americans have done a great job of claiming underdog status ...
  • My mistake chime, it is in Wales. Are you a golf fan?

Okay, the Ryder Cup is my favorite professional golf event hands down. The magic of match-play and the concept of "team golf" is displayed in all it's glory for 3 days every 2 years. It is the essence of golf. For those of us who played golf in high school, the match-play format brings us back to a time of trash-talking and "getting inside your opponent's melon". I love it. So, in the spirit of the run-up to the Ryder Cup (starting Friday at 2:30AM on ESPN), I'll be filling this thread with thoughts and facts about the upcoming battle between the United States and Europe.

US Player Age Record # of Ryder Cup teams
    Stewart Cink * 37 4-7-4 5
    Rickie Fowler * 21 0-0-0 1st appearance
    Jim Furyk 40 8-13-3 7
    Dustin Johnson 26 0-0-0 1st appearance
    Zach Johnson * 34 1-2-1 2
    Matt Kuchar 32 0-0-0 1st appearance
    Hunter Mahan 28 2-0-3 2
    Phil Mickelson 40 10-14-6 8
    Jeff Overton 27 0-0-0 1st appearance
    Steve Stricker 43 0-2-1 2
    Bubba Watson 31 0-0-0 1st appearance
    Tiger Woods * 34 10-13-2 6

Euro Player Age Record # of Ryder Cup teams
    Luke Donald * 32 5-1-1 3
    Ross Fisher 29 0-0-0 1st appearance
    Peter Hanson 32 0-0-0 1st appearance
    P.Harrington* 39 7-11-3 6
    M.A.Jimenez 46 2-7-3 4
    Martin Kaymer 25 0-0-0 1st appearance
    G.McDowell 31 2-1-1 2
    Rory McIlroy 21 0-0-0 1st appearance
    Ed Molinari* 28 0-0-0 1st appearance
    Frank Molinari 28 0-0-0 1st appearance
    Ian Poulter 34 5-2-0 3
    Lee Westwood 37 14-10-5 7
    * Captain's pick

To be honest, I'm very worried about this one. I think the Euros are poised to take the Cup back. Look at Phil and Jimmy Furyk's record in their past appearances! Those two need to step up BIG TIME if we expect to win this thing.
  • Also, regarding the hole-in-one question, two weeks ago I hit a 4-iron on the 187 yard par-3 10th hole at my course to about 2-3 inches. That's the closest I've ever come. I've witnessed two, and my little cousin has 3 and he's only 25!

Also, my buddy had two holes-in-one on the exact same hole exactly one year apart from one another. Can you believe that?!?! Same hole, same day, one year later. Amazing. I wish I knew some MIT people to help me calculate the odds on that one!
    Also, regarding the hole-in-one question, two weeks ago I hit a 4-iron on the 187 yard par-3 10th hole at my course to about 2-3 inches. That's the closest I've ever come. I've witnessed two, and my little cousin has 3 and he's only 25!

Also, my buddy had two holes-in-one on the exact same hole exactly one year apart from one another. Can you believe that?!?! Same hole, same day, one year later. Amazing. I wish I knew some MIT people to help me calculate the odds on that one!

:o Thats amazing, like you said what are the odds
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Tiger and Stricker have to be paired together. It will be interesting to see who Phil teams with. Last Ryder Cup he thrived with Anthony Kim, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Ricky Fowler get the chance to play with lefty. We're also gonna need big performances from guys like Hunter Mahan and Bubba.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    My mistake chime, it is in Wales. Are you a golf fan?

Not really but you can't help watching a bit of Ryder Cup. For instance my only reaction to The Ryder Cup photos in the paper this morning was .... are the US team REALLY wearing flares :? ... no doubt our outfits will be hideous too ... but really flares??? :lol:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    polaris_x wrote:
    chime wrote:

is it just me or is the lead up to this ryder cup been pretty dull? ... americans have done a great job of claiming underdog status ...
    I think the build up has been pretty low key over here as well. Not sure if many are that interested in it.
  • http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/rydercup10/news/story?id=5625994
    The shit talking has begun at Celtic Manor!

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5625279
    Furyk made millions of dollars this last week with a $39 bargain bin putter he bought in Massachusetts!
    http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5625279
    Furyk made millions of dollars this last week with a $39 bargain bin putter he bought in Massachusetts![/quote]

What a cheap fuck Furyk is, shopping in a bargain bin :lol::lol: hey whatever works

I'm pumped for the Ryder Cup. I just hopes the points stay close as they get to Sunday. I love watching the head to head matches, even more fun when they see saw back and forth for the lead. I think Bubba is going to be the surprize player for the states
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • BLACK35 wrote:
    I'm pumped for the Ryder Cup. I just hopes the points stay close as they get to Sunday. I love watching the head to head matches, even more fun when they see saw back and forth for the lead. I think Bubba is going to be the surprize player for the states
    I'm very excited as well. I think we are in the minority though, Mr. BLACK35. And I agree with you about Bubba. I just hope guys like Hunter, Bubba and Dustin Johnson remember to have fun. Everyone seemed to have fun 2 years ago at Valhalla and they won. Tiger and Phil and Furyk and Stricker are too serious. The three guys I mentioned need to lighten the mood up a little. Stewie Cink will help with that too I think.
    BLACK35 wrote:
    I'm very excited as well. I think we are in the minority though, Mr. BLACK35. And I agree with you about Bubba. I just hope guys like Hunter, Bubba and Dustin Johnson remember to have fun. Everyone seemed to have fun 2 years ago at Valhalla and they won. Tiger and Phil and Furyk and Stricker are too serious. The three guys I mentioned need to lighten the mood up a little. Stewie Cink will help with that too I think.

Yeah the young guys need to just go out and play and have some fun, stay loose. Take it seriously, but have fun. Which I think they will be able to do, being its across the pond and not that added pressure of being on home soil.
    Good thing we have a tv in the office, I'll have to make sure there are no appointments for Friday morning :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • The morning matches for tomorrow are set! All times are Eastern.

2:45 AM -- Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson (USA) vs. Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer (EUR)
    3:00 AM -- Stewart Cink and Matt Kuchar (USA) vs. Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell (EUR)
    3:15 AM -- Steve Stricker and Tiger Woods (USA) vs. Ian Poulter and Ross Fisher (EUR)
    3:30 AM -- Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton (USA) vs. Luke Donald and Padraig Harrington (EUR)

These will all be difficult for the US. I like our chances in matches 1 and 3. 2 and 4 will be difficult to get a half.
    I'm still trying to get fired up by this. I'm normally a dribbling wreck by the end of the Sunday but it's not happening. :evil:
  • nuffingman wrote:
    I'm still trying to get fired up by this. I'm normally a dribbling wreck by the end of the Sunday but it's not happening. :evil:
    At least give us a prediction from the other end of the pond. Do you like the Euros chances? Will the US keep the cup and win on Euro soil for the first time in over a decade?

So nuffingman, you're saying my lonely posts in this thread all week haven't fired you up? :lol: