No Binoculars: Does anybody know why?

VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
edited February 2008 in The Porch
I remembered prior to my show in 2006, there was an announcement about binoculars not being allowed. I remember people complaining, and there some people trying to get a reason why. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about a reason. Was a reason ever offered? I checked, and they aren't allowed for the Ed solo shows either. Not that the venues for these are that large. Robert Plant doesn't mind them, Geddy Lee and the gang doesn't mind them either. I was curious if anybody knew why not at PJ/Ed. Thx
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• maybe because some of them are now equipped with digital cameras...
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    They dont want anyone looking at Ed's package close up!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    dangerous weapons dont ya know!

its probably because they dont help you hear the music any better.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Probably because they know that the Robert Plant and Geddy Lee fans have failing eyesight.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • They dont want anyone looking at Ed's package close up!

I don't think you need nocs for that ;)
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    At the Wiltern Theater... they will 'rent' you a pair.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    Management is going to great lengths to keep this experience organic.

I think it's a bit of overkill. How would binoculars interfere or distract?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • this is the reason, hello?!?!

http://noveltyhut.com/images/529431_a_binocular_flask.jpg

im kidding
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Regarding the flask, security could check that.

I am far sighted and my 10c number puts me at a distance where binocs could really help. At Plant and Rush, they made a big difference.

Regarding the weapon theory, a belt, a shoe, a fist, a non-picturetaking cell phone could all be weapons. Do you think this 46 year old CPA intends to hurt anybody? Is coming to a concert with a cough bioterrorism?

A concert is a seeing and hearing experience. I expect to be able to do both. It doesn't help my hearing, it helps my seeing.

As for cameras inside the binocs, same with phones, make a no camera policy and let security check them.

They don't block anybody's view. I appreciate all of these responses so far but I am still curious why.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    Man guess i will have tpo breack out the old glasses to see when i saw Van halen i used them and it was awesome oh well . This is a way smaller venue i guess i will be fine
    this is the reason, hello?!?!

http://noveltyhut.com/images/529431_a_binocular_flask.jpg

im kidding

That would be nice oh well i will get my drink on in line and at the preparty
    I remembered prior to my show in 2006, there was an announcement about binoculars not being allowed. I remember people complaining, and there some people trying to get a reason why. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about a reason. Was a reason ever offered? I checked, and they aren't allowed for the Ed solo shows either. Not that the venues for these are that large. Robert Plant doesn't mind them, Geddy Lee and the gang doesn't mind them either. I was curious if anybody knew why not at PJ/Ed. Thx

where does it say we cant bring them is it on the centre website
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    They don't like bird watchers???? ;):D

It's a pretty stupid rule, IMHO, especially since it is so easy to identify the ones with cameras built in them. :rolleyes:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • where does it say we cant bring them is it on the centre website

This came up as a Rubysdad (Tim) sticky somewhere back in 2006 before my LA Forum show. The post said no Binocs and offered no reason why. A lot of posts were generated from this announcement; a lot of speculation, some complaining. Back then, I don't think 10c ever explained the reasoning for the policy. Through private messaging with site admin, I was told the policy was still in place for these Ed shows.
  • How bad does the prescription on your glasses need to be before it crosses the line to binoculars?
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Regarding the flask, security could check that.

I am far sighted and my 10c number puts me at a distance where binocs could really help. At Plant and Rush, they made a big difference.

Regarding the weapon theory, a belt, a shoe, a fist, a non-picturetaking cell phone could all be weapons. Do you think this 46 year old CPA intends to hurt anybody? Is coming to a concert with a cough bioterrorism?

A concert is a seeing and hearing experience. I expect to be able to do both. It doesn't help my hearing, it helps my seeing.

As for cameras inside the binocs, same with phones, make a no camera policy and let security check them.

They don't block anybody's view. I appreciate all of these responses so far but I am still curious why.

Combine a 46 year old CPA, and me, a 42 year old CPA, and we can form a dangerous fighting machine!

People best watch out!
  • I guess Ed will be singing while walking towards the crowd..
    with his guitar, a wireless mic and harmonica around his neck..
    so everyone can see him up close..
    hehehe!
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Most newer binoculars can take digital pictures. Very high quality digital pictures and even some video, alot better than the grainy blurry garbage you get with camera phones.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • How bad does the prescription on your glasses need to be before it crosses the line to binoculars?

I live in the LA market with a lot of 10c members. The venues PJ uses in So Cal are 17,000 - 19,000 seat arenas. My 10c number is 25x,xxx. You do the math. Maybe an Eagle would have no problem. It's hard to soar like an Eagle when you're surrounded by pelicans.

JOEJOEJOE- Maybe we could get rich on some sort of thriller action movie based on us. Smashing people in the heads with binoculars at a rock concert, and then a cross country pursuit with Tommy Lee Jones trying to chase us down. The doctor thing is too plausable. CPA's are the real source of excitement. The world has yet to discover that. I don't know what I'll do with all the fame.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Get_Right wrote:
    dangerous weapons dont ya know!

its probably because they dont help you hear the music any better.
    I actually thought that was the reason (it's heavy and if you swing it, you could break someone skull easily!)

that's frankly the only reason I can think of...opera ones would be fine though
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,084

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that someone got injured with someone swinging some binoculars just prior to the policy changing, so it probably had something to do with that.

Also, don't really see how binoculars would help with you being far-sighted? That would mean you can see distant objects better than close objects. So I'm assuming you have a really good 10C number (i.e. front row) and you'll be looking through your binoculars backwards? Otherwise, just seems weird that someone with vision problems wouldn't know if they were near or far sighted. BTW, I have pretty bad myopia, but even I wouldn't need binoculars any more than the guy next to me... Do you have glasses?
    I live in the LA market with a lot of 10c members. The venues PJ uses in So Cal are 17,000 - 19,000 seat arenas. My 10c number is 25x,xxx. You do the math. Maybe an Eagle would have no problem. It's hard to soar like an Eagle when you're surrounded by pelicans.

JOEJOEJOE- Maybe we could get rich on some sort of thriller action movie based on us. Smashing people in the heads with binoculars at a rock concert, and then a cross country pursuit with Tommy Lee Jones trying to chase us down. The doctor thing is too plausable. CPA's are the real source of excitement. The world has yet to discover that. I don't know what I'll do with all the fame.

Dude, we could walk in the same shoes as the accountant in "Untouchables" and Charles Grodin, CPA in "Midnight Run".
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    I heard that you just don't get the clarity out of Binoculars like you used to. Its pretty true. I was at a restaurant in LA and I brought my binocs so I could see what people on the other side of the restaurant were eating...you know...so I could know what the locals order...Well...this is what I saw: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FM7Rpf1x7RU

Is a level of detail necessary beyond what prescription eyeglasses provide? The band probably doesnt think so.

No real reason to bring em and much easier to just ban em

Pretty clear that EV wants people to focus on the music and not the visual accessories that are increasingly a distraction. Effing great I say
    Some bands ban binoculars for insurance reasons (not that this is the case here).

The insurance costs per show vary quite a bit. The band actually pays higher insurance premiums when Eddie throws things into the crowd (tambourines, etc.) since there is a bigger chance of someone getting elbowed in the face, etc.
  • This came up as a Rubysdad (Tim) sticky somewhere back in 2006 before my LA Forum show. The post said no Binocs and offered no reason why.

I can't recall any instance where they gave a reason for anything they do. Are all bands like this?
  • Get_Right wrote:
    Pretty clear that EV wants people to focus on the music and not the visual accessories that are increasingly a distraction. Effing great I say

I think if you are paying $65 for a ticket and you want to bring in binoculars, you should be able to. It's my right to focus on what I want, be it visual or audible. I also feel the same way about cameras but with those, I could see the flashes getting annoying for the bands. Does anybody remember the translator for the deaf person on the Touring Band DVD? Are they going to ban translators eventually as well? Where does it end? No binoculars is such a bizarre thing to ban.
    I think if you are paying $65 for a ticket and you want to bring in binoculars, you should be able to. It's my right to focus on what I want, be it visual or audible. I also feel the same way about cameras but with those, I could see the flashes getting annoying for the bands. Does anybody remember the translator for the deaf person on the Touring Band DVD? Are they going to ban translators eventually as well? Where does it end? No binoculars is such a bizarre thing to ban.

there is a difference btw an interpretor and binoculars, unless, the person using the binocs needs them to get a regular view (as opposed to wanting to scope-out someones crotch, etc!)

actually thats wrong
    you are being permitted into the venue as a licensee, you enter the venue under the terms and conditions imposed thereunder

You have a right to reject the terms and conditions, and not go.

I dunno, if I was an artist up on stage by myself, it might creep me out to know people were viewing me up close, scrutinizing my clothes, hair, etc.

I just dont see the need to have them.