Options

Spin....spin....help??....help ??

Comments

• Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    bm12music wrote:
    I'm looking to replace mine at the moment and probably going with the Pro-ject Debut 3: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=15820
    you can't go wrong with pro-ject.
    I have this one:
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=28616
    ...and I'm really happy with it :D
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    I should probably warn you that vinyl is an addiction, and once you start there will be always be something for sale that you "need" for your collection. FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    Vinyl Peeps.... is it true that every time you listen to a record it degrades it a bit... like a cassette tape?

You know.. from the needle instead of the magnetism?

you CAN damage a vinyl by not having the needle set up correctly, as far as the alignment and the force or the stylus.

I bought my Technics SL1200MK from here:
    http://www.pssl.com/DJ-Turntables
    http://www.pssl.com/Technics-SL1200MK2-Direct-Drive-Turntable---Black

I love it... I have it hooked up to my stereo thru my friends Numark Mixer like this:
    http://www.pssl.com/Numark-DM-1050-2-Channel-DJ-Mixer-W3-Band-Eq

it's all bad ass.
    i like sound...
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    you CAN damage a vinyl by not having the needle set up correctly, as far as the alignment and the force or the stylus.

I bought my Technics SL1200MK from here:
    http://www.pssl.com/DJ-Turntables
    http://www.pssl.com/Technics-SL1200MK2-Direct-Drive-Turntable---Black

I love it... I have it hooked up to my stereo thru my friends Numark Mixer like this:
    http://www.pssl.com/Numark-DM-1050-2-Channel-DJ-Mixer-W3-Band-Eq

it's all bad ass.
    They are awesome arent they.
    Have mine hooked up to a $600 pair of Polk towers, sounds beautiful.

Like the other poster said, make sure you have good solid speakers.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    My recomendation is to go for simplicity and to spend as much as you can - avoid gimics, and avoid looks. I have a Pro.ject turntable - they couldn't be simpler and I have no complaints. Less moving parts emans elss to break, but realise that the stylus/needle and preamp may end up being hidden costs.

The other thing to rememebr is that your system is only as good as the weakest link in the chain, so you need a decent amp and a decent set of speakers. If you are going to play it through aset of computer speakers, then there's no point in having a $1000 turntable. So if you are planning to spend $200 dollars on a turntable, its porbably only worth it if you have a $200+ amp and a $200+ set of speakers.

This said, my vinyl set up is one of the best investments I have ever made.
    yeah..my amp is ok, Yamaha AV receiver I paid £300+ for (ok, few year ago..but no complaints.)
    the speakers..well, they're AV and lowish end. they do a decent job, especially since they don't have to handle the bass as that goes through the subwoofer...but still, I've been thinking about getting proper floor speakers for a bit..but the tours got in the way financially :p

I think with a decent turntable and a pre-amp (how important is that part..really?), I'll be happy enough for a while (I'm getting a bit deaf anyway I think..well, considering I've always been loud speaking, it's probably nothing new..so wouldn't make that much of a distinction)
  • Options
    My hearing is terrible. It doesn't really affect me when listening to music, but too many concerts, and a youth spent playing wananbee grunge music in garages has left me struggling to hear conversation in some bars.

The pre-amp depends on the turntable. I'm afraid despite my degree in electronics, my expertise ends here. My pro.Ject turntable needs a pre-amp, but I'm not sure why they make them like this. The Pre.amp was 60quid/100 euros, so its nothing extrotionate, but it is an extra cost.
  • Options
    My hearing is terrible. It doesn't really affect me when listening to music, but too many concerts, and a youth spent playing wananbee grunge music in garages has left me struggling to hear conversation in some bars.

The pre-amp depends on the turntable. I'm afraid despite my degree in electronics, my expertise ends here. My pro.Ject turntable needs a pre-amp, but I'm not sure why they make them like this. The Pre.amp was 60quid/100 euros, so its nothing extrotionate, but it is an extra cost.
    my pro-ject has a pre-amp and I know the pro-ject debut III exists in tow different versions (with and without pre-amp)
  • Options
    I acquired a technics SL 1200mk2... i was going to sell it... but then got a stylist and i couldn't part with it... music is now so warm and tender... I dont think I can listen to cd's again. I really hate cd's now. as in you have no idea how horrible they sound.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    my pro-ject has a pre-amp and I know the pro-ject debut III exists in tow different versions (with and without pre-amp)
    does it? I know there's a USB version, I guess it the one.. wonder if the extra cost is worth it or you better off buying an external one of your chosing for the price difference

just checked: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=41772
    it's the USB that has a pre-amp..if I read this right.
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    does it? I know there's a USB version, I guess it the one.. wonder if the extra cost is worth it or you better off buying an external one of your chosing for the price difference

Where did you get your ITW lp??
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the point is in the USB turntables. You take the sound input and record it on a wave editor and make mp3's of your vinyl? Sounds like a lot of bother when you can buy a CD or download the music for digital use, or even better the likes of subpop give you a password to legally download the mp3. I prefer to leave the analogue to digital conversion to proffesionals.

Maybe for the obscure stuff thats only available on vinyl, but that limited use is half the charm anyway.
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:

on son-video.com, there are 3 different versions:
    one without pre-amp for € 249 (or € 275 for a colored one)
    one with a pre-amp for € 359, and
    a third one with a pre-amp and USB for € 379
    maybe it's worth buyin theone taht doesn't have a pre-amp and buy a separate one, which is often less that € 110...
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    on son-video.com, there are 3 different versions:
    one without pre-amp for € 249 (or € 275 for a colored one)
    one with a pre-amp for € 359, and
    a third one with a pre-amp and USB for € 379
    maybe it's worth buying the one that doesn't have a pre-amp and buy a separate one, which is often less that € 110...
    can't find a model with pre-amp that isn't USB (don't care about USB... I agree with SiA, and if I wanted to digitalise something, I can do it without USB)

turns out about the same price to get the basic one + the simple pre-amp box from pro-ject anyway.. I'd assume that the seperate box is better quality than the build-in, butthen maybe not.
    £195 though :( ..it's not a good time right now.. I really need to get that 12months 0% credit card :p
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    can't find a model with pre-amp that isn't USB (don't care about USB... I agree with SiA, and if I wanted to digitalise something, I can do it without USB)

turns out about the same price to get the basic one + the simple pre-amp box from pro-ject anyway.. I'd assume that the seperate box is better quality than the build-in, butthen maybe not.
    £195 though :( ..it's not a good time right now.. I really need to get that 12months 0% credit card :p
    yes, pro-ject s not for free. But it's good quality products and the design is great too.
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Could someone please explain the pre-amp? How do I know if I do or dont need one? As I said...I am planning on plugging this in to the aux input on the back of a Bose Lifestyle 28...Thanks
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    It's to do with the signal output of the turntable versus the signal input of the amp. Some amps have a variety of inputs. You should be able to find data on inputs and output either in the instruction manuals or somewhere on the internets.
  • Options
    Could someone please explain the pre-amp? How do I know if I do or dont need one? As I said...I am planning on plugging this in to the aux input on the back of a Bose Lifestyle 28...Thanks

Generally (if your tuntable doesn't have a pre-amp, if you plug it into the aux input) you wil have to put the volume very high to hear something. If you don't have a pre-amp, the turntable must be plugged into the phono input.
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    Generally (if your tuntable doesn't have a pre-amp, if you plug it into the aux input) you wil have to put the volume very high to hear something. If you don't have a pre-amp, the turntable must be plugged into the phono input.

Thanks, that helps...

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Thanks, that helps...
    y'our ewelcome.
    When I bought my first turntable 2 years ago (a Bang & Olufsne on ebay) I didn't know about pre-amp, etc... And I had no phono input on my amp.
    I had to buy a new amp with a phono input. I could have bought a pre-amp, but it was the excuse to buy a new amp instead :D
  • Options
    Yes, they do have laser turntables now. They are amazing and can even read semi-warped and scratched records. The only bad side is that they cost around
    $15,000 bucks. Search ELP Laser Turntable in google, it makes for some interesting reading.
  • Options
    Yes, they do have laser turntables now. They are amazing and can even read semi-warped and scratched records. The only bad side is that they cost around
    $15,000 bucks. Search ELP Laser Turntable in google, it makes for some interesting reading.

First rule of audio systems - there's always a "better".

I never liked emerson lake and palmer anyway.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Looking to get a turntable.....Any recommendations? Middle of the road? Not looking to spend a ton, but dont want to do it on the cheap either...couple-few hundred $$ I would guess? Also, do I want one with a built in pre-amp, or not? What to look for? What to avoid? What kind of needle, etc.....Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.....:)

one of these days , you are gonna have a yardsale... and im gonna be there at like 6am! LOL

I have one that is also a cd player... got it for like 150 from radio shack... not the best in the world... but it has held up!
  • Options
    one of these days , you are gonna have a yardsale... and im gonna be there at like 6am! LOL

quote]

Earlies, pay DOUBLE!! ;)

• Options
    First rule of audio systems - there's always a "better".

I never liked emerson lake and palmer anyway.

Ha, ha! I didnt even notice that. Pretty funny
  • Options
    175XXX175XXX Posts: 81
    So...I got a Technics 1200. Now what do I do? I am told the sound is better if I hook it up to a mixer (with preamp) and hook up some powered studio monitors to the mixer. Is it really going to sound better than hooking it up to my 10 year old tuner with phono input and $100 bookshelf speakers?

So, if that is true...Will a $100 Numark 2-Channel mixer with $200 Samson Resolv 50a powered monitors due the trick?
    West Palm Beach 8/9/00 - West Palm Beach 8/10/00 - Tampa 8/12/00 - Tampa 4/13/03 - Cleveland 5/20/06 - George 7/22/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - West Palm Beach 6/11/08 - Tampa 6/12/08 - EV Atlanta 6/23/09 - EV Clearwater 12/3/12 - EV Clearwater 12/4/12
  • Options
    this table is a good "middle of the road" one for ya, king.

I think you'll like it.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    this table is a good "middle of the road" one for ya, king.

I think you'll like it.

:D

HAHAHA...I was actually excited for a few seconds!!! :) Then, after I changed my shorts, I laughed my ass off! Thanks for looking out! ;)

• Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,070
    I should probably warn you that vinyl is an addiction, and once you start there will be always be something for sale that you "need" for your collection. FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!
    Yeah, it is very addictive, and anything released on vinyl sounds SOOO much better than a CD!
    But be careful, people get very sensitive about what you try to trade and you risk getting FLAMED to death if you try to trade the "wrong" thing!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, it is very addictive, and anything released on vinyl sounds SOOO much better than a CD!
    But be careful, people get very sensitive about what you try to trade and you risk getting FLAMED to death if you try to trade the "wrong" thing!!!

In my experience, it isnt about "what" you trade so much as "how" you go about it...;)

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,865
    project debut

simple
    effective

just sucks if you want to play 45s

have one of those USB ones too, it wokrs pretty well.

just get a good needle