Options

Spin....spin....help??....help ??

pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Looking to get a turntable.....Any recommendations? Middle of the road? Not looking to spend a ton, but dont want to do it on the cheap either...couple-few hundred $$ I would guess? Also, do I want one with a built in pre-amp, or not? What to look for? What to avoid? What kind of needle, etc.....Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.....:)
Never, ever, flipping forget
"Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    looking to spin all that Vinyl you have acquired over the years huh King? I cant help you I'm looking for one myself!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    looking to spin all that Vinyl you have acquired over the years huh King? I cant help you I'm looking for one myself!

EXACTLY!!! Use to think it was just for collecting and hanging on the wall...Now I just buy 2 of everything so I can frame one and play one...Just never got around to getting the turntable and now I have decided I NEED to do it...:)...Good luck to you...let me know what you end up with...

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    jeddethjeddeth Posts: 93
    This is a great thread! I will be eagerly awaiting everyones suggestions and reccomendations.

This Sony seems to be the cheapest turntable on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005T3XH/ref=pd_cp_e_2?pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005T3Y8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KPT7XY0XVNP48E7S86H It has good reviews but I wonder if anyone here has one or can share their opinion.
    Things change. They wont change unless you make them. The best way to change something you don't like, is to change yourself. So if you feel like you have a piece of duct tape on your mouth and you can't escape, take it off, speak up, speak your mind, shout it out, let 'em hear ya! -EV
  • Options
    there are some pretty nice affordable options made by Ion... thats what i got... i think they range from $80-140 or so depending on what model you get... the one i have plugs right into speakers i had before and works great... even transfers vinyl to mp3 if youre looking for that feature... i got mine at costco... i think they sell em at best buy too... just google it :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    jeddeth wrote:
    This is a great thread! I will be eagerly awaiting everyones suggestions and reccomendations.

This Sony seems to be the cheapest turntable on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005T3XH/ref=pd_cp_e_2?pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005T3Y8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KPT7XY0XVNP48E7S86H It has good reviews but I wonder if anyone here has one or can share their opinion.

i bought this one a year ago....no problems whatsoever......works great....:)
  • Options
    I paid $5.00 for mine at a yard sale. :)
  • Options
    I got an Ion last year and I love it. I got mine at Hot Topic. I know, I know.....the place smells like death of individuality but it is one of the only places around that sells vinyl. I got my copy of In Rainbows there. The turntable was $150, which is the same price it sells for on Ion's website. It has the vinyl to mp3 conversion, too. The only thing hard you have to do is put the belt in it, balance the counterweight and snap on the needle.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    Vinyl Peeps.... is it true that every time you listen to a record it degrades it a bit... like a cassette tape?

You know.. from the needle instead of the magnetism?
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    This is an awesome website to check out.
    Kind of like a high end consumer reports for stereo equipment.
    http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/

Mine is very old..:o
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    This is an awesome website to check out.
    Kind of like a high end consumer reports for stereo equipment.
    http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/

Mine is very old..:o

Mine is old also but it still works great. :D

Nice website.
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    I bought one yesterday on ebay express for like $60 and it would have been $150 new
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Looking to get a turntable.....Any recommendations? Middle of the road? Not looking to spend a ton, but dont want to do it on the cheap either...couple-few hundred $$ I would guess? Also, do I want one with a built in pre-amp, or not? What to look for? What to avoid? What kind of needle, etc.....Any and all help would be appreciated.

Dude, go on ebay, type in Technics sl-MK2 and look at results. For 150-200$ you should be able to get one of these bad boys.
    You definitely will be able to get one in great condition for that price, just look around.
    You wont be disappointed.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    I have the Sony... my brother has the Sony... my friend has the Sony... all of them plugged into receivers. They all work perfect. Seems to be a good candidate. Have fun.
    Is That Any Better?
  • Options
    ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    Yard sale... something used. Always does the trick!
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • Options

Sorry...:(...Never was too good with the search function here..

• Options
    Dude, go on ebay, type in Technics sl-MK2 and look at results. For 150-200$ you should be able to get one of these bad boys.
    You definitely will be able to get one in great condition for that price, just look around.
    You wont be disappointed.

Thanks..You know, I have always heard nothing but good things about all Technics stuff over the years. I will be using this with a Bose Lifestyle28 and 38. I know most people hate Bose, but it is what I have so....Is this a turntable that I could just plug and play, or is there anything I need to know?? Anything to shy away from while looking around?

• Options

The needle is the most important part. I use an AT-440MLa which is the "coca cola" of needles. It tracks excellently and sounds wonderful. It costs about $100. Anything below that is no good - anything more than that is getting silly.

A decent quality turntable with an AT-440MLa will suit you just fine. It shouldn't cost more than $300 total.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    The needle is the most important part. I use an AT-440MLa which is the "coca cola" of needles. It tracks excellently and sounds wonderful. It costs about $100. Anything below that is no good - anything more than that is getting silly.

A decent quality turntable with an AT-440MLa will suit you just fine. It shouldn't cost more than $300 total.

How long will a $100 needle last??

• Options
    bm12musicbm12music Posts: 292
    I'm looking to replace mine at the moment and probably going with the Pro-ject Debut 3: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=15820
    Auck - Feb 28, 98
    Syd - Nov 08, 06
    West Palm Beach - Jun 11, 08
    Tampa - Jun 12, 08
    Melb - Nov 20, 09
    Syd - Nov 22, 09
    Bris - Nov 25, 09
    Auck - Nov 27, 09
    Christchurch - Nov 29, 09
    EV - Bris - Mar 10 & 12, 11
    EV - New - Mar 16, 11
    EV - Syd - Mar 18, 11
  • Options
    PGHmattPGHmatt Posts: 40
    Vinyl Peeps.... is it true that every time you listen to a record it degrades it a bit... like a cassette tape?

You know.. from the needle instead of the magnetism?
    I was told that there are now "laser needles" or is my friend F'ing with me?? ANYONE?
  • Options
    jeddeth wrote:

I've got this one too! I've had it for 2 years now and it works great. I bought one for my nephew too last year and he uses it even more than me and it's still spinnin!
    OBAMA BABY
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    I got an Ion last year and I love it. I got mine at Hot Topic. I know, I know.....the place smells like death of individuality but it is one of the only places around that sells vinyl. I got my copy of In Rainbows there. The turntable was $150, which is the same price it sells for on Ion's website. It has the vinyl to mp3 conversion, too. The only thing hard you have to do is put the belt in it, balance the counterweight and snap on the needle.

Arent the MP3 conversion tables digital?
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Thanks..You know, I have always heard nothing but good things about all Technics stuff over the years. I will be using this with a Bose Lifestyle28 and 38. I know most people hate Bose, but it is what I have so....Is this a turntable that I could just plug and play, or is there anything I need to know?? Anything to shy away from while looking around?
    All you will need is a receiver with a phono input or a seperate amplifier if your receiver isnt phono capable.
    The MK2 tables sell new for around $500, and they are awesome.
    Like I said, you should be able to find one within your price range. I have a $50 middle of the road Audio Technica needle. Easy to install, sounds great.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    All you will need is a receiver with a phono input or a seperate amplifier if your receiver isnt phono capable.
    The MK2 tables sell new for around $500, and they are awesome.
    Like I said, you should be able to find one within your price range. I have a $50 middle of the road Audio Technica needle. Easy to install, sounds great.

I KNOW this is a dumb question, but I am completely inept when it comes to this shit.....Would an AUX input on the back of the bose be the same thing as a PHONO input? Or will a turntable not work with this system? If not, I am going to have to rethink the whole thing. Thanks for the help..:)

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I have a pretty cool Fisher Price turntable that I got for Xmas in 1984. Fucker still works.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    bm12music wrote:
    I'm looking to replace mine at the moment and probably going with the Pro-ject Debut 3: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=15820
    I was looking at that last night...looking really good value for money (only about £60 more than the numark I was looking at, with a steel platter instead of aluminium)
    but above my price target since cheapest I can find it is £150..and need a pre-amp too...and looks like a OM10 is really making a difference on it (though that can wait I guess)...
    I KNOW this is a dumb question, but I am completely inept when it comes to this shit.....Would an AUX input on the back of the bose be the same thing as a PHONO input? Or will a turntable not work with this system? If not, I am going to have to rethink the whole thing. Thanks for the help..:)
    only PHONO works (well, Aux works but you have to put the volume on full to hear anything!).
    SO you have the same problem as me, need to buy a pre-amp as well.. prices being from $30 to whatever you can think of :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,153

Buy used. The old turntables are usually the best quality and price. Go into a used electronics or record store and you can usually get one that has been rebuilt for under $100.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,153

No. If doesn't say phono specifically, you'll need to buy a preamp to plug into your receiver (about $20)
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    My recomendation is to go for simplicity and to spend as much as you can - avoid gimics, and avoid looks. I have a Pro.ject turntable - they couldn't be simpler and I have no complaints. Less moving parts emans elss to break, but realise that the stylus/needle and preamp may end up being hidden costs.

The other thing to rememebr is that your system is only as good as the weakest link in the chain, so you need a decent amp and a decent set of speakers. If you are going to play it through aset of computer speakers, then there's no point in having a $1000 turntable. So if you are planning to spend $200 dollars on a turntable, its porbably only worth it if you have a $200+ amp and a $200+ set of speakers.

This said, my vinyl set up is one of the best investments I have ever made.