Ten Club Ticket Process

BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
edited June 2010 in The Porch
How about revisiting the possibility of altering / modifying the current process to get Ten Club tickets ? The internet fiasco for the recent East Coast shows was unacceptable.

Suggestion: revert back to the mail-in request system. Sure its a little more time-consuming & labor intensive for the club employees than the current internet sale, however, there would seem to be a lot less frustration on the fans' part. From what I hear, DMB's Warehouse Club does a mail-in process still and I have not heard too many negative features about it.

** If the majority of Ten Club members prefer such a process over sitting in front of a computer for 3-plus hours, shouldn't the Ten Club seriously consider improving on the current internet tickets sales' process ?

- just a thought. Let the suggestions and debating begin.

have a great day.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    the same number of people would get shut out and we would see the same complaints. the only difference would be 10c would have to work harder
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    no.....

This just allows for scalpers to join 10C and get tix or for current members to buy tix to every show and then scalp them

think man
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    MayDay10 wrote:
    the same number of people would get shut out and we would see the same complaints. the only difference would be 10c would have to work harder

And you'd probably have to weeks to know the outcome, thus allowing the public onsale date to pass. No thanks.
  • morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    It's an electronic world now. No going back.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    no.....

This just allows for scalpers to join 10C and get tix or for current members to buy tix to every show and then scalp them

think man

If a club member is going to front the money to get tickets to every show and then take the time to get to every venue and city on tour just to show their ID to scalp tickets then that's their perogative. However, at least countless real fans will not spend hours in front of a computer refreshing a webpage all for not.

You don't think scalpers are taking advantage of the current internet Ten Club sales' process ....
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

And you'd probably have to weeks to know the outcome, thus allowing the public onsale date to pass. No thanks.

If the proper planning process is applied, then naturally club members would know their status of securing Ten Club tickets or not prior to any general public releases.

It takes a couple of minutes to fill out a ticket request form with payment information and then mail it off.... or possibly submit online. Then have an internal member lottery system / seniority derived system to see who gets tickets.
  • Longest RoadLongest Road Posts: 264
    You have obviously never been to my post office. I would MUCH RATHER sit in front of my big screen computer rather than deal with the folks from the USPS. My hair would sprinkle out like snow worrying about whether the letter will get A.Stolen B.Lost C.Destroyed D.Misplaced E.Misdelivered etc.........
    I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room.
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    The way Phish does it is they announce the shows, then you have about up to 5-7 days to request them with your C.C. number on their website, then they contact you to let you know what tickets you got. This way people have plenty of time to request tickets and their system doesn't get bogged down with tons of people trying to log on at once.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    As long as i can get tickets, i don't care where i sit, just get me into the arena. How to go about that, maybe tc members in a certian radius, say 50 miles of a show get first shot. i like what they did for the Newark, i had already got tickets for both MSG shows, so i had to wait two hours extra to try for Newark, if they can work along those lines showhow, it might all work out well for everybody.
  • MB50486MB50486 Posts: 243
    IMO. if it's a small tour 2 shows per member. Big tour 3 shows. Those of us who have kids/jobs/mortgages/car payments, have to choose carefully and sometimes get shut out or members with higher numbers and more money always get choice seats. The first tour I was a 10c member was 2 shows per member if I remember right, long time ago, I had 9th row. Since then my seats have gotten worse. I'm not complaining. I am glad just to be there in the venue
  • editguy29editguy29 Posts: 19
    Can't the Ten Club work with Ticket Master and use their site for Pre-Sale? Like when they just had the second Pre-Sale for MSG 2.
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Snail mail is dead-zo, bro...
    I'm sorry that everyone had such a debacle tryin' to grab MSG 2010 shows via the internet...'twas stressful & no fun, until they showed up in my cart...

10 Club is close, let them work it out...they don't want a fiasco like that again...

As far as 50 mile radius things, seniority, blah blah blah respectfully... are you kidding me? That's just not a fair practice at all. I live in AZ. I save vacation days and $$$ so if and when Pearl Jam decide to play MSG, Vegas, etc... - I can go do that. They don't play here in AZ so I must travel to see this band... Because Joey Bagadonuts lives on Long Island, he should get a better crack at tickeys then me? No way dude...all's fair in love & PJ...

Here's what I've also realized about the loyal fan - as seeing the scene unfold outside MSG on night 2 in person: where there is a will there is a way. I watched people pay $500 and $300 dollars without blinking (on the outside :)) on the way in to get into that show. I paid thru the nose for Night 2 at the Borgata some years back - and damn glad I did!

I've been shutout on TM, 10 Club, etc...it's no fun. But I've also pulled tix thru 10 Club WAY MORE then I've ever been shut out, so I say keep the system & improve it. Can't let a minor debacle over a handful of shows derail what has been a pretty great system.

Bottom line: these small tours are going to hit a venue that is extremely desired by the majority of the fan base. Unless it is a multiple night affair (think LA 2009) chances are it's a "hot" ticket... I, for one, am glad these guys do 12- 14 show legs now - they just sound so much better and less shot...

Good luck in getting tix next time. 10 Club will not let you down. Can only get better...
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    MayDay10 wrote:

+1. There's continuing pressure from ticketmaster to limit the amount of tickets fan clubs can accecss. It doesn't matter if people did mail in, or internet, people are going to get shut out of shows. People forget but during the the mail in for the '98 tour, you had to choose a runner up show in case they sold out of tickets for the show you wanted. I think did run short on tickets for some of the east coast shows.

They only get access to a finite amount of tickets. Internet/Mail In, the exact same amount of fan members get access. Combine this with the smaller tours, and the higher ticket demand for the shows that happen, and that finite amount of tickets will go quick either way.
    Cob wrote:
    The way Phish does it is they announce the shows, then you have about up to 5-7 days to request them with your C.C. number on their website, then they contact you to let you know what tickets you got. This way people have plenty of time to request tickets and their system doesn't get bogged down with tons of people trying to log on at once.

This is an example of a ticketing process that perhaps the Ten Club should consider.....
  • comatose_253comatose_253 Posts: 270
    edited June 2010
    Cob wrote:

Yes, I like it!

No snail mail is required to request tickets. I understand some people are still going to get shutout, but we won't be stuck at a computer for hours trying to get tickets.
    Post edited by comatose_253 on
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Cob wrote:

DMB does the same...doesn't mean you are guaranteed tickets but it eliminates spending hours in front of a computer trying and failing...10c really should implement this system
    Zod wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

It doesn't matter if people did mail in, or internet, people are going to get shut out of shows.

Internet/Mail In, the exact same amount of fan members get access.

I think everyone understands these points, we just don't want to sit at a computer for hours over several days trying get tickets.

The Phish method mentioned would be great!
    norm wrote:
    Cob wrote:

DMB does the same...doesn't mean you are guaranteed tickets but it eliminates spending hours in front of a computer trying and failing...10c really should implement this system

Norm, You are a wise man.

+1 . . . 10C should implement this system!
    ooops!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    what you speak of is essentially a lottery which I am not in favor of

the current system actually works very well-with the exception of MSG-the other sales were pretty smooth

now if the band would play a few more shows then less people would be trying for each-thats the heart of the problem
    Get_Right wrote:
    what you speak of is essentially a lottery which I am not in favor of

the current system actually works very well-with the exception of MSG-the other sales were pretty smooth

now if the band would play a few more shows then less people would be trying for each-thats the heart of the problem
    Don't we have a lottery right now? Most folks get the tickets they want and some don't. Requesting tickets would be the same thing! Most would get the tickets they want and some wouldn't, but without sitting at a computer for days and hours trying.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    just as many complaints will be had.

the "hometown show" argument
    the "one show per member" argument.
    10c showing favoritism.
    etc...

the bottom line is that for some shows, there is a limited amount of pairs that cannot meet demand.

no system can please everybody.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Don't we have a lottery right now? Most folks get the tickets they want and some don't. Requesting tickets would be the same thing! Most would get the tickets they want and some wouldn't, but without sitting at a computer for days and hours trying.
    no
    the current system allows some users to get through and purchase tix while others cant get through

If everyone just placed an order, how exactly would the tickets be distributed? We would never know the real answer-kinda like now with the front row lottery

and other than MSG, none of the onsales required you to sit in front of the computer for very long

the current system gives each member an equal chance at scoring tickets and each member an equal chance at getting first row for every show-its simple and fair
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    BF89905 wrote:
    Cob wrote:

This is an example of a ticketing process that perhaps the Ten Club should consider.....

That seems like a great way of doing it.
  • mudhoney_253mudhoney_253 Posts: 135
    edited June 2010
    Get_Right wrote:
    no
    the current system allows some users to get through and purchase tix while others cant get through

If everyone just placed an order, how exactly would the tickets be distributed? We would never know the real answer-kinda like now with the front row lottery

This sounds like pure chance . . . just like a lottery, some would get tickets and some would not.

If you had 500 pairs of tickets and 600 orders or requests for tickets. You would randomly selected 500 and some would get tickets and some would not.

What is the difference?
    Post edited by mudhoney_253 on
  • mudhoney_253mudhoney_253 Posts: 135
    Get_Right wrote:

the current system gives each member an equal chance at scoring tickets and each member an equal chance at getting first row for every show-its simple and fair

No, flat out false. A lottery would give each member an equal chance at scoring tickets. Fans that have a faster computer, faster connection speed, or use multiple computers have a better chance at scoring tickets. The current system does not provide everyone and equal chance at the high demand shows.
  • mkdevomkdevo Posts: 33
    I can't believe people actually want to ditch the 10 club's (fantastic, imo) ticketing process in favor of something like Phish does. HORRIBLE idea.

I've been to 31 Pearl Jam shows, and 109 Phish shows. Pearl Jam's ticketing system blows Phish's (and every other band's) system out of the water. Every time I've put in for Phish tickets (since they've gone the internet route), I'm constantly saying how horrible their lottery system is, and I *always* praise the PJ system in that same conversation.

Let's review:

- First and foremost, PJ's fan club seniority system is genius, and is something that no other band can match (unless it's a new band), because the system has been in place since the beginning.

- Phish does a lottery, with seemingly no rhyme or reason to it. It's completely random. You can put in for 10 shows, and only end up with 1. Then you have to deal with public on-sales - with a lot of them happening at the same time. Individual 10c on-sales make SO much more sense.

- Phish's system is completely abused by everyone. Anyone can get in on it, and all you need is a unique credit card number and address. So not only do fans put in multiple requests through family members, etc, but ticket agencies are also able to put in a ton of requests. With 10c - one 10c number, one shot at tickets per show. MUCH better.

- For outdoor (amphitheater) shows, Phish includes LAWN tickets in their pre-sale lottery! This is dreadful. For someone like me, who never, ever wants to be on the lawn, it's a huge inconvenience, because if I end up with those, I'm left trying to sell them and trying to score during the public on-sale anyways. And you'll rarely get your face+fees back that you originally paid for the ticket.

- Thanks to 10c, I have *never* had to deal with a PJ public on-sale. I am SO thankful for that. I have never had a problem getting 10c tickets. The closest I've ever come to being shutout was Hartford this year - the only 10c on-sale that I forgot about. I realized it about 13 minutes in, and spent the next 40 minutes trying to get through. I eventually did, and got my tix. All my other 10c experiences have been in and out in 15 minutes tops. One computer, one browser.

I should add that I've never been unhappy with a 10c seat, until MSG2 this year. Was in the VERY last row on the floor (before the floor starts to elevate, and I'm only 5'8"), 3 seats in from the corner on Mike's side. I saw nothing the entire night, and would have traded that seat for ANY other ticket in the venue. But aside from that, I've never been disappointed in the other 30 shows with my seats.

So 10c, PLEASE don't change. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • BronyBrony Posts: 628
    at least with the way it is done now, i feel like i can control it (in a way). when do i hit refresh? which tab should i open? when do i give up..etc. simply putting in a "request" that is pure luck would drive me even more nuts.
    norm wrote:
    Cob wrote:

Exactly !
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    The Phish system could still be used with PJ seniority system. It is random as to whether you get a ticket or not, but once they determine who got a ticket, then they assign the seats by seniority. Basically they would replace the cluster **** of everyone trying to get a ticket at once with a phased system of people requesting a ticket over a longer period of time.