Options

Ten Club Ticket Process

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    PJFAN13 wrote:

As far as 50 mile radius things, seniority, blah blah blah respectfully... are you kidding me? That's just not a fair practice at all. I live in AZ. I save vacation days and $$$ so if and when Pearl Jam decide to play MSG, Vegas, etc... - I can go do that. They don't play here in AZ so I must travel to see this band... Because Joey Bagadonuts lives on Long Island, he should get a better crack at tickeys then me? No way dude...all's fair in love & PJ.
    and people in the metro area save vacation days too.i guess you failed to think of that one huh. why should someone from the metro area be shut out of msg and have to resort to ticketbroker sites or ticketmaster sales and scalpers outside of msg. does that REAlly seem fair to you.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    comatose_253comatose_253 Posts: 270
    mkdevo wrote:
    I can't believe people actually want to ditch the 10 club's (fantastic, imo) ticketing process in favor of something like Phish does. HORRIBLE idea.

I've been to 31 Pearl Jam shows, and 109 Phish shows. Pearl Jam's ticketing system blows Phish's (and every other band's) system out of the water. Every time I've put in for Phish tickets (since they've gone the internet route), I'm constantly saying how horrible their lottery system is, and I *always* praise the PJ system in that same conversation.

Let's review:

- First and foremost, PJ's fan club seniority system is genius, and is something that no other band can match (unless it's a new band), because the system has been in place since the beginning.

- Phish does a lottery, with seemingly no rhyme or reason to it. It's completely random. You can put in for 10 shows, and only end up with 1. Then you have to deal with public on-sales - with a lot of them happening at the same time. Individual 10c on-sales make SO much more sense.

- Phish's system is completely abused by everyone. Anyone can get in on it, and all you need is a unique credit card number and address. So not only do fans put in multiple requests through family members, etc, but ticket agencies are also able to put in a ton of requests. With 10c - one 10c number, one shot at tickets per show. MUCH better.

- For outdoor (amphitheater) shows, Phish includes LAWN tickets in their pre-sale lottery! This is dreadful. For someone like me, who never, ever wants to be on the lawn, it's a huge inconvenience, because if I end up with those, I'm left trying to sell them and trying to score during the public on-sale anyways. And you'll rarely get your face+fees back that you originally paid for the ticket.

- Thanks to 10c, I have *never* had to deal with a PJ public on-sale. I am SO thankful for that. I have never had a problem getting 10c tickets. The closest I've ever come to being shutout was Hartford this year - the only 10c on-sale that I forgot about. I realized it about 13 minutes in, and spent the next 40 minutes trying to get through. I eventually did, and got my tix. All my other 10c experiences have been in and out in 15 minutes tops. One computer, one browser.

I should add that I've never been unhappy with a 10c seat, until MSG2 this year. Was in the VERY last row on the floor (before the floor starts to elevate, and I'm only 5'8"), 3 seats in from the corner on Mike's side. I saw nothing the entire night, and would have traded that seat for ANY other ticket in the venue. But aside from that, I've never been disappointed in the other 30 shows with my seats.

So 10c, PLEASE don't change. Keep doing what you're doing.

I don't think anyone was suggesting a change to every aspect of the 10C system . . . just how you buy them.

I say keep all the good aspects that you pointed out. Only 10C members have access to pre sale, best seating reserved for 10C members by seniority, etc, etc.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    ***Phish's system is completely abused by everyone. Anyone can get in on it, and all you need is a unique credit card number and address. So not only do fans put in multiple requests through family members, etc, but ticket agencies are also able to put in a ton of requests. With 10c - one 10c number, one shot at tickets per show. MUCH better.***

This is the main drawback with a system like Phish's. You think it's hard to get tickets now? Imagine if each person has 2, 5, 10 requests in. And you're not even counting scalpers. No thanks.

As far as the Warehouse goes, I have a buddy who's seen over 100 DMB shows through them. They're not reserving the best seats...their allotment is all over the house. He often winds up with open air pavilion and lawn tickets. Again, no thanks. These are easy enough to come by in a public onsale.

The current system rewards diligence...I've never been shut out of 10C tickets in 32 shows and sometimes it's taken me an hour from the onsale time to get them. If I eventually get shut out, so it goes. They're concert tickets, not a basic human right.
  • Options
    As a long time fan and Ten Club member (member number 94xxx), I am definitely NOT happy with the current ticketing system. I got shut out trying to buy tickets for the 2010 MSG shows and also the 2008 Boston Eddie Vedder solo shows. Both experiences were very frustrating and upsetting, to say the least. I have a really fast internet connection, so that was not my problem in either instance. And, I understand that the 2010 MSG shows were in high demand, but still... I don't think it's fair for someone who has loyally paid membership dues for 15+ years to be shut out like that.

I never had a problem with the mail system, EVER. But, I'm not sure the Ten Club should go back to that either because there seems to be potential flaws with that system as well.

After getting shut out for the 2010 MSG shows, I emailed the Ten Club with an idea (I didn't receive a response, of course) which was this: online ticket purchase in order of the seniority of your Ten Club membership number. For example, member numbers 1-99,999 (and only those members) are able to buy tickets at 1:00 pm for x show on the pre-sale day (meaning you enter your number during the presale process and if it is not in that number range, the system would bump you out). Member numbers 100,000 to 199,999 (and only those members) are able to buy tickets at 3:00 pm on that sale day...and so on. There could still be a seat lottery, too. I think that would be a really fair system that would cut down on server traffic, and still be efficient and fair to everyone.

In any case, I hope they improve the ticketing system, because it currently sucks.
    8/7/92, 4/12/94,10/2/96,9/15/98, 8/29/00,8/30/00,10/28/00,4/8/03,4/29/03, 7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/11/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/25/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/20/10, 9/7/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/25/13, 12/6/13, 4/8/16, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/6/22, 5/7/22
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    im ok with system as it is,just if there is a way people not wait so much time in their pc will be good...|
    the only thing i like to change is, if ed do a usa solo let us from Europe to buy tix.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    As a long time fan and Ten Club member (member number 94xxx), I am definitely NOT happy with the current ticketing system. I got shut out trying to buy tickets for the 2010 MSG shows and also the 2008 Boston Eddie Vedder solo shows. Both experiences were very frustrating and upsetting, to say the least. I have a really fast internet connection, so that was not my problem in either instance. And, I understand that the 2010 MSG shows were in high demand, but still... I don't think it's fair for someone who has loyally paid membership dues for 15+ years to be shut out like that.

I never had a problem with the mail system, EVER. But, I'm not sure the Ten Club should go back to that either because there seems to be potential flaws with that system as well.

After getting shut out for the 2010 MSG shows, I emailed the Ten Club with an idea (I didn't receive a response, of course) which was this: online ticket purchase in order of the seniority of your Ten Club membership number. For example, member numbers 1-99,999 (and only those members) are able to buy tickets at 1:00 pm for x show on the pre-sale day (meaning you enter your number during the presale process and if it is not in that number range, the system would bump you out). Member numbers 100,000 to 199,999 (and only those members) are able to buy tickets at 3:00 pm on that sale day...and so on. There could still be a seat lottery, too. I think that would be a really fair system that would cut down on server traffic, and still be efficient and fair to everyone.

In any case, I hope they improve the ticketing system, because it currently sucks.

Yeah im sure thats a great system in your eyes with your 94xxx number...so not only do you want the best seats in the house you want an advantage in securing tickets. Thats complete BS. Im fine with the current system, sure it sucks for MSG and Boston but if you know what your doing it pays off. I want my fate in my own hands.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited June 2010
    ive had more success that not with the current system. i am a fan of it

hot markets with 20million people living in the area will always be tough tickets to get and there is no reason why if someone travels from arizona to nyc that someone from nyc cant travel to buffalo, if they NEED to

if they change the system it will only be changed to accommodate the few, not the many. i had ZERO troubles getting tickets for columbus, cleveland, indy and buffalo, so the current system works

nothing to change
    Post edited by helplessdancer on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    pjl44 wrote:
    ***Phish's system is completely abused by everyone. Anyone can get in on it, and all you need is a unique credit card number and address. So not only do fans put in multiple requests through family members, etc, but ticket agencies are also able to put in a ton of requests. With 10c - one 10c number, one shot at tickets per show. MUCH better.***

This is the main drawback with a system like Phish's. You think it's hard to get tickets now? Imagine if each person has 2, 5, 10 requests in. And you're not even counting scalpers. No thanks.

As far as the Warehouse goes, I have a buddy who's seen over 100 DMB shows through them. They're not reserving the best seats...their allotment is all over the house. He often winds up with open air pavilion and lawn tickets. Again, no thanks. These are easy enough to come by in a public onsale.

The current system rewards diligence...I've never been shut out of 10C tickets in 32 shows and sometimes it's taken me an hour from the onsale time to get them. If I eventually get shut out, so it goes. They're concert tickets, not a basic human right.

My thoughts exactly
    I am a long time 10club member (72xxx) and have never been shut out of any show I wanted to get tickets to.
    I have nooooo complaints over any aspect of the system except for maybe I'd like them to have more tickets vailable in the bigger cities.
    once again...it is just concert tickets...not a basic human right...get over it
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,341
    Mcam55 wrote:

- great idea. I've also had a problem trying to get a response form the club on a couple of issues in the past.
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537

Terrible idea. Determining the seating by seniority is fine. But it is ridiculous to think longer term members deserve priority on getting seats period. If that was the case, in places like NY, most 10c members would never get a chance to get 10c seats.

Be happy your seniority gets you great seats, it is really selfish to take it a step further and expect priority on getting seats :evil: :evil: !!
  • Options
    JRNYC,
    I'm not sure how the system I proposed is selfish? As I see it, all numbers get an opportunity to buy tickets....so...not really sure how that's selfish.... :?
    8/7/92, 4/12/94,10/2/96,9/15/98, 8/29/00,8/30/00,10/28/00,4/8/03,4/29/03, 7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/11/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/25/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/20/10, 9/7/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/25/13, 12/6/13, 4/8/16, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/6/22, 5/7/22
  • Options

your 25 $ is the same as mine,as all fans..you have low number,great. u get better seats...
    but tickets is fair ,all fans to have their chances..if u have 480.000- number you wouldnt say the same
    the system now is fair..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    JRNYC,
    I'm not sure how the system I proposed is selfish? As I see it, all numbers get an opportunity to buy tickets....so...not really sure how that's selfish.... :?
    It's sellfish because the 10c ticket allotment would sell out (atleast in NYC and Boston) before every number had the chance to buy tickets. The lower your number is, the bigger is your chance of getting them and since your number is pretty low it's sellfish.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    Dimitrispearljam,
    Again, still not sure why/how what I proposed is unfair. If there were a block of tickets reserved for each membership number group (the SAME number of tickets available for each group)...how is that not fair???? If each group is able to purchase from a pool of say, 1000 tickets (or whatever)...why would it matter what your number is??
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right wrote:
    Don't we have a lottery right now? Most folks get the tickets they want and some don't. Requesting tickets would be the same thing! Most would get the tickets they want and some wouldn't, but without sitting at a computer for days and hours trying.
    no
    the current system allows some users to get through and purchase tix while others cant get through

If everyone just placed an order, how exactly would the tickets be distributed? We would never know the real answer-kinda like now with the front row lottery

This sounds like pure chance . . . just like a lottery, some would get tickets and some would not.

If you had 500 pairs of tickets and 600 orders or requests for tickets. You would randomly selected 500 and some would get tickets and some would not.

What is the difference?
    the difference is that there is an additional variable-the person or machine doing the random selection
    now, it is pure chance, but there isnt some arbitrary person or computer selecting you
    you either get through or you dont. Who is doing the random selection in the true lottery? Thats the difference.
    Of course its a crap shoot either way, but you dont have someone selecting people out of a pool
  • Options
    Dimitrispearljam,
    Again, still not sure why/how what I proposed is unfair. If there were a block of tickets reserved for each membership number group (the SAME number of tickets available for each group)...how is that not fair???? If each group is able to purchase from a pool of say, 1000 tickets (or whatever)...why would it matter what your number is??
    its not fair to categorize fans like that...u are online and try for tickets all ok...u score ,lucky,not score unlucky..all from number 1 to 500000 must have the same chances..exable
    from 1-99999 there are less active members than 400.000 -500.000...if they split the sales..the first group has % better chance to get tickets than the last group...25 $me..25$ you..so all in the presale the same time with the same %
  • Options
    No, flat out false. A lottery would give each member an equal chance at scoring tickets. Fans that have a faster computer, faster connection speed, or use multiple computers have a better chance at scoring tickets. The current system does not provide everyone and equal chance at the high demand shows.

everybody has an equal chance to score a ticket

the last thing I want is a random selection for each show-you will never know how they are allocated
    the online sale is simple and fair and you know almost immediately if you are in or out
    truthfully, it works great except for the shows in high demand
  • Options
    ...25 $me..25$ you..so all in the presale the same time with the same %
    exactly
    all members have an equal chance-simple and fair
  • Options
    Sorry Dimitri, but I don't agree. If you got shut out of 4 shows (EV Boston 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2) and you had a low Ten Club number....you might think the current system sucks, too. I've paid my dues on time for over 15 years...is loyalty worth nothing???
  • Options
    Sorry Dimitri, but I don't agree. If you got shut out of 4 shows (EV Boston 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2) and you had a low Ten Club number....you might think the current system sucks, too. I've paid my dues on time for over 15 years...is loyalty worth nothing???
    worth..if u score tix better seats than me..,,is like i ask from 10c to secure me tix cos my membership lapse at 2015.layter than yours .and this would be unfair as well..its ok this system now..all pay membership,all the same % in the presale..but u have lower number?,,fair to have better seats,,i think its easy to understand it..and again if u was 480,000 or u scored tix in the last tour you wouldnt say this now..
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,800
    Just because you've been paying your "dues " for 15 or so years means you get MORE than the specified contract with 10club? getting the opportunity to get better seats than those who joined after you and you want MORE than that? Fuck the loyalty arguement.

Been a fan since the beginning . however due to life choices , didn't join til a couple years ago. WHERE'S the fan loyalty for me? hmmm? Shouldn't I "get" something for my loyalty in buying their music ALL these years? sometimes more than once? Yes I do/did. Enjoyment of the music that has sustaianed and sometimes carried me through.
    the system is what it is. they tour shorter, with more members vieing for tix. less supply and more demand. Get over it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,341
    Dercheef wrote:
    JRNYC,
    It's sellfish because the 10c ticket allotment would sell out (atleast in NYC and Boston) before every number had the chance to buy tickets. The lower your number is, the bigger is your chance of getting them and since your number is pretty low it's sellfish.

The Club sets aside "X" number of seats/pairs for each range of membership numbers.
  • Options
    Wow...the unmitigated rudeness is so...so...hmmm...what's the word? Oh yeah...classy....
  • Options
    Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    Wow...the unmitigated rudeness is so...so...hmmm...what's the word? Oh yeah...classy....

the sense of entitlement is so....whats the word...pathetic. Why dont we just reserve a seat for you on stage for every show since your a bigger fan than everyone else.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    As a long time fanclub memeber I always get a kick out of the newer fanclub members getting so overwrought over concert tickets. Why not channel all this emotional energy into something really worthwhile.

Do I have a sense of entitlement? no
    Do I believe in the seniority system? Yes
    When I won the lottery in STL was I happy? Yes..did I feel the need to win? NO
    Do I spport the way 10club does tickets? yes
    Does it work for everyone? No
    Can I help that I joined 16 yrs ago and kept up my membership every year? yes
    Will everyone ever be happy with the ticketing system? no

PearlJamVixen....I happen to agree with you about the level of rudeness and for lack of a better term, anger. Definitely not so classy.

Everyone take a deep breath and think about getting angry and upset over something truly important.
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Dimitrispearljam,

Your original post didnt say anything about a block of tickets for each membership group #.
  • Options
    dont hate the game, hate the players

seriously, the system has actually gotten much better for the everyday show
    I believe that tickets are much harder to get than they were in 2003 and even 2006

Sure seems like more and more people are trying to get tickets to fewer shows. Really, I think that is why many long time members got shut out for the first time.

More shows is the answer. The ticket system, flawed as it is, is pretty damn good and would be even better if PJ did 50 shows each time out.
  • Options
    Bentleyspop, thanks for agreeing, re: the rudeness! :) I don't know why people just can't have a logical, calm discussion....if someone thinks what I proposed is unfair, that's fine...just state your opinion and back it up with a logical explanation...not so hard, right?
  • Options
    jrnyc wrote:
    Dimitrispearljam,

Your original post didnt say anything about a block of tickets for each membership group #.

Yes, true, I didn't say that. But OF COURSE I would not expect the first few groups to get a monopoly on all of the available fan club tickets! That would be ridiculous!
  • Options
    As a member with an extremely high number I think the current system is the best and fairest way to do it. My number is 423xxx and with any of these proposed systems i would have no chance of getting tickets to more than one show. I have seen 9 shows in my 2 years in 10c and would never be able to obtain all those tickets in an other method of ticket purchasing. How is it that I can get tickets to Philly and both MSGs no problem but you people that have put in your "time" cant. Just because your 40 and were there for the early years of the band doesnt mean that me at 21 shouldnt have as good of a chance to get tickets. Its bad enough that ill never sit up close unless I hit the "lottery." Because youve been a fan for 10 or 15 years doesnt mean that your any bigger fan than I am, it just means your older than I am. Im sure there are 2 year members on here how like the band more and know more about that band than people who are in there 10th year of membership.
    This isn't elementary school, its first come first serve. Time to grow up.
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2010 - 5/15, 5/17, 5/20, 5/21
    2011 - 9/3/11, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12, 9/14
    2012 - 9/2
    2013 - 7/19, 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/25
    2014 - 6/16. 6/17, 6/20, 10/1

EV solo 8.1.08, 6.8.09, 6.15.11, 6.16.11