Options

Excellent show boys. Worst crowd ever.

Comments

• Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    edited May 2010
    BinFrog wrote:
    jeez do u even watch the band ????????

I wasn't at the show, but I can attest to the fact that a bad crowd or even just a few bad apples can really put a damper on the whole concert experience.

no way...if the set is awesome (which it was) and you and your friends are awesome you shouldn't notice or care about people 2 sections over

how does it hurt you?
    Post edited by neilybabes86 on
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    no way...if the set is awesome (which it was) and you and your friends are awesome you shouldn't notice or care about people 2 sections over

how does it hurt oyu?

imagine going to a yankee game and posada hits a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth to win a game and only 10% of the crowd cheer ...

i think crowd energy is important because i think there is a energy flow between band and crowd ...

in any case - what i find weird about this thread is that there is usually one for every show and for the most part - people post to disagree but the majority of the posts are all in agreement here ...
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    I agree with the few bad apples in that if someone is sitting within a few seats of you and is acting like a jerk that can screw up your experience. But if I'm on the floor and someone in the second deck is sitting down during Immortality, does that really ruin the night?

That said, last night totally exceeded expectations in terms of setlist/performance, and I was within a few feet of catching Ed's tambourine he tossed at the end of Watchtower!
    Jw
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

how does it hurt oyu?

imagine going to a yankee game and posada hits a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth to win a game and only 10% of the crowd cheer ...

i think crowd energy is important because i think there is a energy flow between band and crowd ...

in any case - what i find weird about this thread is that there is usually one for every show and for the most part - people post to disagree but the majority of the posts are all in agreement here ...

if you cheer for posada who cares?

again make your own energy

have your own good time

why would other people "ruin your night" it makes zero ense to me
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    polaris_x wrote:

how does it hurt oyu?

i highly doubt that only 10 % of the crowd got into the show. all the pics i see show a ton of peeps on their feet.
    even if that is the case, the analogy is bad, a baseball game does not contain nearly the amount of energy and constant entheusiasm as a PJ concert.

these threads are pretty annoying . not the entire world is excited about pearl jam as us people here.
    get over it. the band still performs. they know people paid good money to see them and they are not going to play like crap if a few people opt to sit or not scream like banshee's the whole show from light's dimming to light's on.
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    edited May 2010
    Jwmcc wrote:
    I agree with the few bad apples in that if someone is sitting within a few seats of you and is acting like a jerk that can screw up your experience. But if I'm on the floor and someone in the second deck is sitting down during Immortality, does that really ruin the night?

Of course not. That's not my point. If you are being distracted by something going on near you, it can suck your attention away from the show. I've had it happen. It's hard to rock out when someone is screaming during the quiet songs, throwing up, turning around and talking the whole show, etc etc. I'm not saying it happen often, but it happens.

If someone 2 sections away from be is acting like they want to be somewhere else....eff 'em.
    Post edited by BinFrog on
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    ScottandPearlJamScottandPearlJam Posts: 1,126
    Trust me I am def here for the band but when the girl next to me is complaining to her BF that I keep bumping into her and he complains to me kinda takes the wind out of my sails. I am not the biggest dude and even if I was I didn't want to fight....just saying. Compared to all the shows I have been to this was by far the worst crowd......all I am saying. Kinda like the band, if everyone is amped and jumping up and down around me just adds to the energy......like in Hartford.

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

have your own good time

i don't think most are saying it ruins their night ... just simply crowd energy is an added factor in the overall experience ...

and the 10% number was obviously just made up to highlight my point which i think is fair ... you don't think sport teams especially in basketball or hockey get a boost from their home crowd if they are cheering louder?
  • Options
    well i guess i just find the sections where everyone rocks and is chill

enjoy the crowds ya'll i'll enjoy the band
  • Options
    traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    Fastrichie wrote:
    marcos wrote:
    Jersey is a tough crowd to read maybe because they're in between states, but PJ probably played the best set list yet, can't wait for what's in store for MSG

You can say the same about Hartford being inbetween two states but the crowd was awesome there as Ed mention 3 or 4 times.

And Hartford was on a Saturday night. And most people had been partying all day leading up to the show. Just sayin'.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Options
    I have to agree with the topic of the thread but not so much with some of the opinions here.

Sec 19, row 3, aisle seat next to sec 18, Mike's side. Section 18 was rocking hard man. At 2pm yesterday I was able to find a ticket for the floor, Section E, row 7, so my guess is they filled up A, B and C and then to the side?

Crowd was very lame, especially when compared to Boston where 90% of the place was rocking out. Last night? Maybe 20%.

But I disagree with ppl coming out here on the boards and rant about it. We all know it's lame but what can we really do? Instead, I just ignore what's behind me and jump and shout every word from every lyric without a care in the world. I'd never seat even if the Pope was behind me and would ask me to! Maybe if we all do that, ppl with their hands tucked in their jeans start jamming like we do :)

My 2c. MSG here we come.

PS: Eric, I hope everything works out well :) See ya tomorrow.
    Severed Hand
  • Options
    wall05wall05 Posts: 304
    saveyou22 wrote:
    section 8 10c members were rockin for the most part. But the overall crowd was lame. Leave it to Jersey to fuck up a great setlist. Glad I moved from there last month to NYC. MSG!!!! Can't wait.

i was rockin' in sec 8. those were some great spots!!! they were the best seats i've had yet for a Pearl Jam show and i was loving it. Plus I got Brain Of J, Indifference, and WMA after Daughter which were all on my list of songs i wanted to hear this tour. I can't wait till tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
    2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
    2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
    2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2
  • Options
    jarothjaroth Forest Hills, NY Posts: 32
    Section 22 was dead all around me. Me and my sister's boyfriend and some guy behind us were the only people standing within 5 rows. Jersey sucks. Let's go MSG!
    8/24/00 - Jones Beach
    9/4/00 - Merriweather Post
    4/28/03 - Spectrum
    6/24/08, 6/25/08 - MSG
    6/29/08 - Tweeter Center
    5/15/10 - XL Center
    5/18/10 - Prudential Center
    5/20/10, 5/21/10 - MSG
    9/2/12 - Made in America
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field
    10/18/13, 10/19/13 - Barclays Center
    9/26/15 - Global Citizen
    5/1/16, 5/2/16 - MSG
    8/5/16, 8/7/16 - Fenway Park
  • Options
    makikatmakikat Posts: 29
    People experience concerts in different ways. Some go crazy from the vibe, some are transfixed by the music. If you look at the band, its the same way. McCready jumps around like a wild man while Stone is quiet and soulful. There's no wrong way to experience a show.
    Let's stay positive. It was a great night!
  • Options
    MikeSigMikeSig Posts: 74
    Couple of things: I've been to over 400 shows at my young age of 27, and I have come to realize that the crowd IS important to the overall quality of a show for two reasons. First, the band feeds off of the energy of the crowd: this cannot be denied as tons of artists have said it, and we've all witnessed it. Second, it is tough to rock out when the people around you are either sitting or standing as if posing for a statue - without a lot of alcohol, it just makes you feel awkward.

Also, the crowd last night did suck, and unfortunately this is not surprising for NJ. I was born, raised, and still live in Jersey, so it really pains me to say this, but outside of Bruce shows, NJ crowds are hit-or-miss at best. I've seen people in the pit standing still while the Foo Fighters played "Monkey Wrench." I've seen people sitting in the pit (mind you there were no seats) during Green Day playing "Basket Case." I could go on and on, but those are just two examples. It pains me to say this, but NYC and Philly crowds generally blow NJ crowds away.

In the end, it was still a great show last night, but the crowd kept it from getting to the next level. I don't think we'll have that same problem at MSG, as I am expecting an epic couple of nights.
  • Options
    JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    Same thing happened when I went to see Springsteen at Giants Stadium. My fiance went to the bathroom and some chick tried to take her seat, and I told her the seat was taken. When she didn't want to move, I told her I was calling for security, she then moved.

That crowd (for Bruce!) was also dead, and on a Saturday night...only singing along to Born to Run and Glory Days...they didn't even get excited for Born in the USA.

Jersey crowds are not particularly great crowds. Hopefully the energy will be much better tomorrow and Friday, when I will be there. :-)
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,502
    I had some knuckleheads in section 102 row K I believe in Hartford who would not shut the f up. I think even when Ed spoke we couldn't hear him cause these 3 jabroni's just talked veyr loudly. But it was a heck of a show.
  • Options
    stolls589stolls589 Posts: 60
    I just don't get how everybody is saying that the crowd sucked, from where I sat in section 18, it was loud, and full of energy
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    overall crowd may have sucked but the people directly to my left were rocking out, the people directly to my right were rocking out, the folks right in front of me were rocking out, and the dudes right behind me were rocking out so i didn't notice much.....and the band was on fire....i had a fucking blast. i had a better time last night than i did in boston the night before but i'd be a fool if i said the overall show was better.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    polaris_x wrote:

have your own good time

i don't think most are saying it ruins their night ... just simply crowd energy is an added factor in the overall experience ...

I agree with you that the people you are around IS a factor. In Bristow, there were definitely some grumpy people. At Philly last year, we were seated with some very friendly enthusiastic people. I enjoyed both shows, but being around similarly excited people DEFINITELY adds to the experience
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    NYCPJ wrote:
    My section was rocking as well -- section 9
    i was in section 9, too, and we were rocking as well as those around us!
  • Options
    Thanks for your input on the thread guys....

I'm glad we all pretty much agree:

1. great venue
    2. awesome setlist, great show
    3. worst crowd of the tour

My touring partner and I have done all the shows from this tour and I am still in shock how bad that newark crowd was. We looked down at the floor from section 11 during Brother and Alone and 13 people were rocking out... it took me back to the days of the Long Island Nassau PJ show

ps. the early setlist did not have ALONE or Brother on it, ev changed it up mid set.

Awesome
  • Options
    MikeSigMikeSig Posts: 74
    stolls589 wrote:
    I just don't get how everybody is saying that the crowd sucked, from where I sat in section 18, it was loud, and full of energy

You were in one of the "good" sections. Portions of the lowere level were rocking out, other portions were sitting. Most of the upper levels were sitting the entire show, and the crowd as a whole lacked energy, as even EV pointed out.
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Imperioli_1800.jpg
    Michael Imperioli had a great time at the show last night.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    wow, im usually soooooo critical of the crowds and i didnt think it was as bad as im reading. i was in sec 17 up front so i could see most of the a b c floor sections and althou some were chill, i thought most were into it. i do admit that sometimes i dont understand how most in the first few rows just stand there but whatever.
    weird, maybe i had a different expectation of the show than the op, who knows.

how did sec 17 look? bec i thought we represented well.
  • Options
    YoullseeDragonsYoullseeDragons Posts: 2,118
    I DO NOT LIKE TO COMPLAIN on this board, but a tend to agree with the crowd comments. There were pockets of energy along with dead pockets. Let's face it, some of the crowd is just there to see a concert no matter who it is. The rest of us are DIE HARD!! I'm 40 and was on my feet the entire time, jumping up and down. We'll make up for it in MSG.

Quick story, when PJ finished playing Go, a girl behind me asked what the name of the song was. :lol: (How many times do they say GO during that song)
  • Options
    YarnoomYarnoom Posts: 10
    Wait, there was a band playing last night....I thought I paid all that money to watch the crowd.... :o
    4/6/94 Springfield
    9/13/98 Hartford
    4/29/2003 Albany, 7/8/2003 MSG
    5/12/2006 Albany
    6/24/2008 MSG, 6/30/2008 Mansfield
    5/15/2010 Hartford, 5/18/2010 Newark
  • Options
    vedderoffdeadvedderoffdead Posts: 684
    The band probably sounded better than any other show I've ever been to...seriously...they were that tight, and Ed's voice sounded like he was 30 again, the sound mix was flawless, every band member nailed every single part. The setlist was great, etc. It was just spectacular. But the crowd was just dreadful. I know it's been said a hundred times already, but it was actually depressing. I'm the kind of person that generally doesn't worry about the people around me, I try to just pretend they're playing just for me and enjoy the show, but the entire fucking arena just seemed like 1 huge fucking negative ball of energy. It's even hard for me to describe. By the end of the show I felt like I needed a Zanax, or a Prozac. The crowd was like a big deflated balloon. My fiance and I ALWAYS make at least a couple of friends at PJ concerts, but this time we were surrounded by rude, obnoxious, unappreciative, negative assholes. It was the first time in 15 shows that I came away with a feeling of disappointment, and the fucked up part is that, like I said, the band sounded better than ever!!! I can't fucking wait for MSG I & II so I can get this God-awful taste out of my mouth:(

Sorry for the rant... :(
  • Options
    Yarnoom wrote:
    Wait, there was a band playing last night....I thought I paid all that money to watch the crowd.... :o

lame
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Yarnoom wrote:

i think mikesig makes a good point that u missed but i do agree with both points of view 1. crowd effects band/energy and 2. everyone enjoys the show differently.

i try to make up for the thousands that just stand there... if you hear or see a guy yelling (usually during breaks) the famous clubber lang line "i gotta lotta mo, i gotta lotta mo for ya"... thats me.