Options

Excellent show boys. Worst crowd ever.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    I mentioned this on the fanview as well. This isn't generic crowd bitching, it was just dead, and yall gotta trust us on that cause we're mostly in agreement here. Section 18 sounds well-represented and that's good for them, but I was up in 228 and that was an okay section all things considered, but 227 next to me was absolutely dead. At least (probably more than) 90% of them were sitting. My buddy who was in 227 got asked to sit down because the people behind him couldn't see. I mean, it's not about jumping around. I didn't jump around at all. You don't need to know all the songs or be excited for all the songs because I know that not everyone is going to know all the rare stuff - especially on a night where they played a LOT of rare stuff. I know that everyone isn't a hardcore fan, either. But please, stand up and show interest. Don't sit and text the whole time. I don't care about drunk people screaming over things or couples kissing the whole time or people talking because all of that is expected at a show. Just show some interest and stand up. That's it. You paid plenty of money. Too many people were sitting (and asking people to sit so they can see), plain and simple.

Standing up shows that you have an interest? I'm fortunate that I was down below in great seats (dancing and grooving the whole time, btw), but I've been to shows (not necessarily PJ) where my seats were in the uppers and I've been known to <gasp> sit on occasion. Personally, at some of the steep angles these arenas are sloped at, I suffer from vertigo and tend to get a bit dizzy if I'm standing up at such heights - let alone dancing!

I agree that the crowd was quieter than I've heard before, but I don't see how standing up makes a difference to how loud you can cheer or clap your hands. :?
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Options
    London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    If the band wasn't so thrilled with the crowd, they could have easily stopped at 25 or 26 songs and called it a night. Instead, they rocked out 30 songs :think:

So how much was the band affected by the crowd?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    for sure crowd in Rock concert is part for the show getting better,they give energy to the band..the same goes with sports,theater..the crowd must be a part of the whole..is sad that this happen yesterday..and so many people noticed and mention it,must be that way..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160
    I'm not sure if I went to the same show... I was in section D in the floor, and as far as my eyes could see, no one was seating down in the lower sections. Granted, the crowd was not crazy and pretty steady indeed, but I saw people was enjoying the show overall.

We tend to criticize people not knowing the songs, but lets remember more then half a show is made of people who knows only the major hits and wants to check out the band. Especially with a band like Pearl Jam, it's extremely difficult to follow a show if you are a regular fan, because no one knows what set list to expect, and they can play anything as we know; hard to keep up. Hopefully those regular fans left eager to know more PJ music. For instance, my other favorite band is Metallica (yeah, very different but what the heck, love them both!) and the first time I brought my wife with me, she was standing there just listening and seated at times (Funnily enough, in Newark :) )... then she asked me to go to THREE more shows (2 MSG and Puerto Rico) and got mental! I hope I can do the same with PJ now!!! :)

I have not much room for PJ comparison though; I saw then in Denver back in 2003 and the crowd was pretty much like this one; I saw them in the 3 shows in Mexico City that same year and could barely listen to the band due to the crowd singing and screaming over them.

I much rather have a crazy audience as the energy is contagious not only to the band but the rest of the crowd as well; in the end, I got to understand that people doesn't need to be jumping like a 10 year old or headbanging to enjoy the show.
  • Options
    oceans18oceans18 Posts: 154
    The show was awesome but I do agree that the crowd seemed weak. I'm from NJ so I'm not gonna bash ourselves, but I was up in section 133 and I could see that the people on the floor weren't really moving or getting into the music that much. The second I got to my seats I planned on standing the whole time and the people behind us said "can you sit down we can't see." Are you f*cking kidding me? Stand the f*ck up it's a Pearl Jam concert damnit. So two songs later we were all standing, but that really pissed me off for them to say that.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    *the in between is mine*
  • Options
    vedderoffdeadvedderoffdead Posts: 684
    ...and please keep in mind, I'm a Jersey boy born and raised so it's not some silly bias thing...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    The only folks i saw that were dead were the Lottery winners , me & Tone rocked the fuck out i say screw the lottery ,SENIORITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FUCKING RULESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    guys - good comments all around.

Just to be clear, my original post said nothing about PEARL JAM and everything about the crowd.
    I've done all the shows this tour and by far Newark's crowd was the worst.

Section 11 Row 10 Seat 1 - to the person sitting behind me, I repeat.... "No I won't ever sit down for my favorite band that comes around every 4 years or so you asshole"
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    i'm a big fan of doing all those little hand gestures like raising your hands for DTE saying "hallelujah" and i like watching everyone else doing it. it's cool how everyone knows what to do, it's like being in a secret club. but when i looked around, like NO ONE was doing anything. a lot of the people around me (around first row!) were just standing there! the guy next to me rested his head on his elbows! i'm sorry but when i won the lottery i jumped around, i rocked out, i went nuts. when some of these other people won the lottery, they just stood there. i swear some people don't deserve to win :evil: especially this guy who's number was like 1xxx, he won twice! i mean good for him and all that but he's used to first row...

you don't have to freak out like i did, you just have to, you know, not yawn and look depressed :lol:
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    The band probably sounded better than any other show I've ever been to...seriously...they were that tight, and Ed's voice sounded like he was 30 again, the sound mix was flawless, every band member nailed every single part. The setlist was great, etc. It was just spectacular. But the crowd was just dreadful. I know it's been said a hundred times already, but it was actually depressing. I'm the kind of person that generally doesn't worry about the people around me, I try to just pretend they're playing just for me and enjoy the show, but the entire fucking arena just seemed like 1 huge fucking negative ball of energy. It's even hard for me to describe. By the end of the show I felt like I needed a Zanax, or a Prozac. The crowd was like a big deflated balloon. My fiance and I ALWAYS make at least a couple of friends at PJ concerts, but this time we were surrounded by rude, obnoxious, unappreciative, negative assholes. It was the first time in 15 shows that I came away with a feeling of disappointment, and the fucked up part is that, like I said, the band sounded better than ever!!! I can't fucking wait for MSG I & II so I can get this God-awful taste out of my mouth:(

Sorry for the rant... :(

I guess you didn't make the preparty that is where all the coolest folks hang at and it usually puts me in a great mood for the show ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mustbechrismustbechris Posts: 228
    Wish I Was wrote:
    I mentioned this on the fanview as well. This isn't generic crowd bitching, it was just dead, and yall gotta trust us on that cause we're mostly in agreement here. Section 18 sounds well-represented and that's good for them, but I was up in 228 and that was an okay section all things considered, but 227 next to me was absolutely dead. At least (probably more than) 90% of them were sitting. My buddy who was in 227 got asked to sit down because the people behind him couldn't see. I mean, it's not about jumping around. I didn't jump around at all. You don't need to know all the songs or be excited for all the songs because I know that not everyone is going to know all the rare stuff - especially on a night where they played a LOT of rare stuff. I know that everyone isn't a hardcore fan, either. But please, stand up and show interest. Don't sit and text the whole time. I don't care about drunk people screaming over things or couples kissing the whole time or people talking because all of that is expected at a show. Just show some interest and stand up. That's it. You paid plenty of money. Too many people were sitting (and asking people to sit so they can see), plain and simple.

Standing up shows that you have an interest? I'm fortunate that I was down below in great seats (dancing and grooving the whole time, btw), but I've been to shows (not necessarily PJ) where my seats were in the uppers and I've been known to <gasp> sit on occasion. Personally, at some of the steep angles these arenas are sloped at, I suffer from vertigo and tend to get a bit dizzy if I'm standing up at such heights - let alone dancing!

I agree that the crowd was quieter than I've heard before, but I don't see how standing up makes a difference to how loud you can cheer or clap your hands. :?

You're missing my point then. I sat on occasion, such as during Just Breathe, but most people up there sat for the entire show. I just don't see a reason for that. And if you're gonna sit, you really shouldn't be complaining that people in front of you are standing and you can't see because of it.

I never said that standing up shows you have interest, if you read my original post. I meant showing interest and standing up as two separate things. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I guess I can see how it could be ambiguous. Either way I don't really want to harp on the crowd much longer, because it takes the focus off of just how good of a show this was.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    During the encores, it did seem like the energy had died off... but until then I didn't notice or care to notice. The people around me in Section 18 were rockin all night... as I see mustbechris has mentioned. The section across from me looked lively too. Of course, it did help that we had good seats. :D
  • Options
    pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    i think alot has to do with this b eing a last minute show, ad ticketmaster being assholes with re relase tickets/? everyday i looked tickets seemed to get better on that site, so i thought it sell out like nyc so i buy the first day, if i waited i would of had better seats, i bet a bunch of floor was high fc numbers in the 400s, i am 196xxx but cause i got msg 1 i got lokced out 2 hours and newark sold out 10c on me. out of 30 shows i been to this is easily the worse seats i ever had, i was in 120s section, still an amazing set though. never seen so many people in a section sit down though that was a little odd for a pj show.

hope 10c can fix ticket situations next time, would of loved to had 10c seats for newark, it was a great set, brother/alone/jersey girl/footsteps/all along watchtower in the same set are you fuckin kidding me great fuckin set, it gonna be hard for hem to top that at msg but if anyone can its pj.

watch pj come out and play 2000 mile blues, and maybe strangest tribe, and some other stuff? :D
  • Options
    pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    schapp wrote:
    I'm not sure if I went to the same show... I was in section D in the floor, and as far as my eyes could see, no one was seating down in the lower sections. Granted, the crowd was not crazy and pretty steady indeed, but I saw people was enjoying the show overall.

We tend to criticize people not knowing the songs, but lets remember more then half a show is made of people who knows only the major hits and wants to check out the band. Especially with a band like Pearl Jam, it's extremely difficult to follow a show if you are a regular fan, because no one knows what set list to expect, and they can play anything as we know; hard to keep up. Hopefully those regular fans left eager to know more PJ music. For instance, my other favorite band is Metallica (yeah, very different but what the heck, love them both!) and the first time I brought my wife with me, she was standing there just listening and seated at times (Funnily enough, in Newark :) )... then she asked me to go to THREE more shows (2 MSG and Puerto Rico) and got mental! I hope I can do the same with PJ now!!! :)

I have not much room for PJ comparison though; I saw then in Denver back in 2003 and the crowd was pretty much like this one; I saw them in the 3 shows in Mexico City that same year and could barely listen to the band due to the crowd singing and screaming over them.

I much rather have a crazy audience as the energy is contagious not only to the band but the rest of the crowd as well; in the end, I got to understand that people doesn't need to be jumping like a 10 year old or headbanging to enjoy the show.

maybe pj can start playing 10c only shows lol. if your not in the 10c no ticket for you :lol: man i have good number 195xxx but i fuckin got shut out of newark 10c cause of thes tupid 2 hour lock out cause i scored msg1. hope 10c can fuckin play less ticketmaster venues, ticketmaster is ridiculous company. maybe play some college towns that dont have tickmaster, they are huge but not all venues have ticketbastard. everyday better seats got released unfreakin real booo ticketmaster
  • Options
    mustbechrismustbechris Posts: 228
    schapp wrote:

maybe pj can start playing 10c only shows lol. if your not in the 10c no ticket for you :lol: man i have good number 195xxx but i fuckin got shut out of newark 10c cause of thes tupid 2 hour lock out cause i scored msg1. hope 10c can fuckin play less ticketmaster venues, ticketmaster is ridiculous company. maybe play some college towns that dont have tickmaster, they are huge but not all venues have ticketbastard. everyday better seats got released unfreakin real booo ticketmaster
    they should use livenation instead.

oh, wait. ;)

it's not like it matters that much at this point anyway. service charges are more expensive than ever...but so are pearl jam tickets by themselves...
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    MrSmith wrote:
    get rid of seniority!

I guess if my number sucked I would ask for this too. :roll:

Get real. You do not have to jump around like a complete Jackass to enjoy a PJ show. For goodness sake. I was at on of the DC shows on th floor and jumping around, until I tripped on a chair, since they pack them in so tight, and knocked over a few people. I then realized that jumping on the floor might not be the best thing. On top of that there are some songs I like to pay attention to the band, so jumping is not a option.

Dear Hoppy:

For the safety of yourself and the few hundred fans around you, may I politely suggest learning to girate and writhe appropriately to said music. Pretend your hips are your feet. It just plain SAFER that way. Save people from your holy flying elbows.

Haven't you ever see Elaine from Seinfeld get down? "Sweet Fancy Moses!"

OH SURE....it was the CHAIR'S fault. SURE!...
  • Options
    MirellaMirella Posts: 242
    From a European point of view, I would certainly blame the chairs :lol:. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to general admission with standing on the floor, but it's a world of difference! You can choose where you are, and if you don't like the people around you, just move. It's not much use to have a good Ten Club number, even though early access is still a benefit if it's there.
    Anyway, I don't know what causes lame crowds. In Belgium, for instance, people are more 'polite' than in the Netherlands, so most of the times I thought the Belgian crowds were boring. But when you speak to them later, they say they had a great time. It's weird to be the only one singing along with Pilate or jumping high and happy with Smile, but there are always other people who *are* into it, to focus on. And the band, of course 8-).

groetjes,
    Mirella :)
    Bugs mailinglist site: http://www.igotbugs.net/wiki
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Mirella wrote:
    From a European point of view, I would certainly blame the chairs :lol:. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to general admission with standing on the floor, but it's a world of difference! You can choose where you are, and if you don't like the people around you, just move. It's not much use to have a good Ten Club number, even though early access is still a benefit if it's there.
    Anyway, I don't know what causes lame crowds. In Belgium, for instance, people are more 'polite' than in the Netherlands, so most of the times I thought the Belgian crowds were boring. But when you speak to them later, they say they had a great time. It's weird to be the only one singing along with Pilate or jumping high and happy with Smile, but there are always other people who *are* into it, to focus on. And the band, of course 8-).

groetjes,
    Mirella :)
    the chairs actually provoke double problem,except the one u said Mirella,alot of people have bad mood only couse they dont like their 10c seats..its crazy..!!
    see u on GA soon.... ;) ,,..or in Dublin hotel lobby for breakfast :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    edited May 2010
    I think the criticism of the Newark crowd is a little over-the-top. Was it MSG? boston? Philly? probably not, but its not like the entire arena sat on their hands -- people around me were going nuts and no one sat. I remember people complaining that they were told to sit down at Philly4! it happens. And I'm not sure that you can just assume that Eddie dropped Breath and No Way due to the crowd. I can appreciate the fact that an amazing crowd can help energize the band and enhance the overall concert experience (we experienced that last night at MSG), but for me -- the music and performance is the most important thing. Maybe the crowd is the most important thing for others -- is that why people are down on the show? Personally, I would give the band an A+ on their performance and the set list. Clearly, its subjective and perhaps others didnt want to hear Brain of J, of the girl, glorified G, immortality, in hiding, alone, brother,etc. but i loved it.
    Post edited by NYCPJ on
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,901
    Any 10club member that complains about reserved seats should be dragged on the street & shot. Those of you who are bitching about reserved 10club chairs & that they should cancel seniorty all together are one's that don't have a good 10club number at all. Anyone from Europe or any soul on this planet bitching about chairs @ a rock show should also be shot. I would love LOVE to see all those Pearl Jam European show's next month in forums/arenas like here in Canada & USA with reserved 10club seats on the floor. LOVE to read here on the board about all the bitching why their seats sucked. Why they were in the lower bowl or seating way back next to the soundboard setup. Everybody should be equal. There should be no fighting & no smart ass remarks that one place is better then the other place. Cause if you think about it, you wouldn't be crying & bitching here if you had signed up with the 10club many many year's back, right?

Plus, how much space do you need to jump & move around? If you're the type of junkie that get's high, drunk & just don't care about anybody but your self & never say excuse me or sorry while pushing & shoving other's, please don't go to the show. Show some respect, ok! These type of hyperactive souls are totally ruining the whole experience for other's around them. I mean stay where you are. Jump, go nuts or move a foot or 2. We don't mind. Just don't hurt or push other's around you. If you're moving & wanting a 10 feet of space peramitar to do your kicks & evening excercise, please take yourself way in the back of the field where there's open grass or head up the stairs & into the food court & flip out.