**Hendrix appreciation thread***

FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
edited November 2012 in Other Music
After traveling recently to Seattle and visiting the Experience Music Project as well as Jimi Hendrix grave, I have a new appreciation for the true god of rock and roll.

Anyone wish to opine?
Jimi_Hendrix_on_stage_fender_stratocaster.jpg
"FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    Hendrix is one of the all-time greats! Love listening to his albums. Blues, Soul, Funk, Rock. he had it all.
    I love to turn you on
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    the best ever...grow up listening his solo..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Best guitarist of all time.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • What's your favorite stuff by Hendrix? I have been immersing myself in his work recently. Red House? Voodoo Child? Bold as Love?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I love Hendrix. Hendrix is what every guitarist wants to be and only a few have achieved that. I can listen to Hendrix all the time and I won't get tired of it.

My favorites by him are Red House, Machine Gun, Hear My Train a Comin', and Voodoo Child.

GREATEST. GUITARIST. EVER.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • In my humble opinion, I think that not only is Jimi's rendition of Hey Joe at Monterey Pop his best performance, to me it's the single best rock guitar performance in history. It changed the rock landscape forever.

Take into account showmanship, and playing quality, AND the fact that this was jimi's first show in the U.S.!!

Nothing compares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeems8BzURY
    I sometimes wonder if they know that I'm gone...
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    God...

when i think of the all the live performances on his boxed set (spans 1967 to 1970)

and realize:
    1) He only put out three studio albums
    2) He Played his guitar lefty, with a right handed guitar upside down.
    2) Died at age 27

what could've been!

The stuff he was doing to a guitar with primitive technollogy (compared to 2010) is still unmatched even TODAY!

If you want to get a taste of how good hendrix was in a complete concert ,
    check out the Atlanta Pop Festival 7/4/70 bootleg..

the whole thing is jaw-dropping ...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    God...

when i think of the all the live performances on his boxed set (spans 1967 to 1970)

and realize:
    2) Died at age 27

what could've been!

The stuff he was doing to a guitar with primitive technollogy (compared to 2010) is still unmatched even TODAY!

His guitar WAS strung correctly, he just preferred the controls on the top.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    locked wrote:
    God...

and realize:
    2) Died at age 27

what could've been!

upload it please :D
    Brisk. wrote:
    locked wrote:
    God...

and realize:
    2) Died at age 27

what could've been!

http://all-shares.com/files.php?q=Jimi+ ... _i5Ca1FYko

check out his solo at the 2:30 min. mark in the video for "Purple Haze' too..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    check out the 4th of July fireworks going off in the background on this clip!

http://all-shares.com/files.php?q=Jimi+ ... G6Jul9LcdI
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    locked wrote:
    God...

and realize:
    2) Died at age 27

what could've been!

OH. MY. GOD.

Thanks so much for posting that locked!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    locked wrote:

AWESOME..THANKS!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • greatest guitarist of all time. As Uncle Neil says, "there isnt even anyone in the same building as that guy". There are great guitarists and then there is Jimi. Or rather jimi, and then WAY down the list is the 2nd best guitarist of all time, whoever we all think that is.

The high point of guitar was achieved during that solo during Machine Gun, when played live. Never has the guitar been taken to such heights.

Jimi was able to distill how terrifying the 1960's were, and put it into instrumental form, guitar riffs. The Star Spangled banner at Woodstock, is the only one I would ever stand up for, its the TRUE version of the tune. And the aforementioned machine gun, comes complete with napalm blasts, and bombs blowing up. He essentially was able to take what the 1960's was like and to make it in sonic form.

Its like the guitar was an extention of his body. Like his thumb or something. I am sure he practiced a ton, but he makes it look like, as I said, he is merely doing something he does without thinking, like walking, or whatever.

This is the single greatest achievement the guitar has ever achieved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV74PsUo1dc -watch the whole thing but things get insane at 4:18. THAT SOUND at 4:19 is MINDBLOWING!!!

Have their been amazing guitarists since Jimi's death? Absolutely. But no one will ever be Jimi. I hate to say it but no one will probably ever be as good as he was.

He was able to make his guitar tell us the pain of those scary times.

What can one say about someone THAT good. Its almost insulting to talk about the guy. Even talking about him makes him seem less than what he was, which was the greatest guitarist in history, by a large margin.
  • greatest guitarist of all time. As Uncle Neil says, "there isnt even anyone in the same building as that guy". There are great guitarists and then there is Jimi. Or rather jimi, and then WAY down the list is the 2nd best guitarist of all time, whoever we all think that is.

The high point of guitar was achieved during that solo during Machine Gun, when played live. Never has the guitar been taken to such heights.

Jimi was able to distill how terrifying the 1960's were, and put it into instrumental form, guitar riffs. The Star Spangled banner at Woodstock, is the only one I would ever stand up for, its the TRUE version of the tune. And the aforementioned machine gun, comes complete with napalm blasts, and bombs blowing up. He essentially was able to take what the 1960's was like and to make it in sonic form.

Its like the guitar was an extention of his body. Like his thumb or something. I am sure he practiced a ton, but he makes it look like, as I said, he is merely doing something he does without thinking, like walking, or whatever.

This is the single greatest achievement the guitar has ever achieved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV74PsUo1dc -watch the whole thing but things get insane at 4:18. THAT SOUND at 4:19 is MINDBLOWING!!!

Have their been amazing guitarists since Jimi's death? Absolutely. But no one will ever be Jimi. I hate to say it but no one will probably ever be as good as he was.

He was able to make his guitar tell us the pain of those scary times.

What can one say about someone THAT good. Its almost insulting to talk about the guy. Even talking about him makes him seem less than what he was, which was the greatest guitarist in history, by a large margin.
    Very well said.
  • its a credit to jimis genius, that we all can marvel at the solos, the playing with his teeth, the unrivaled mastery of the guitar, but that he also could create something like Little Wing, which may be my favorite song by him. This is a song that, I heard the first time, on headphones, while talking a walk, and hearing it, I stopped in the middle of the street. I could have been run over that instant, but I didnt give a damn. What a tune. How could someone create both the mindblowing guitar freakouts we all love, but then also create this like doozy of a tune thats a mere 2 minutes and 20 seconds long and is fairly restrained in terms of the hendrix catalogue.
    [Thanks so much for posting that locked![/quote]

if its a bootleg and it rocks.. I've probably got it!

;)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    [Thanks so much for posting that locked!

if its a bootleg and it rocks.. I've probably got it!

;)[/quote]
    I'm sure Ill be seeking you out in the future for something or another! Take care! Hope to see ya April 10th too!
  • Little Wing is perfection.

Other covers are great (most notably, Monte Montgomery) but Jimi doesn't get enough credit for WRITING the damn thing.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    His Blues album is one of a kind!

a new album coming out soon too: Valleys of Neptune never released studio stuff like Red House!
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Little Wing is perfection.

Other covers are great (most notably, Monte Montgomery) but Jimi doesn't get enough credit for WRITING the damn thing.

I love Jimi's so much, but SRV's is probably the best cover of the song.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • i hear you about the SRV cover. No question its a work of genius, but in this case less is more. The Hendrix version is far superior, because he is able to create the mood, atmosphere and feeling, with minimal solos, and a song thats 2 minutes and 20 seconds long.
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Little Wing is perfection.

I love Jimi's so much, but SRV's is probably the best cover of the song.
    I LOVE SRV's version, but I Monte Montgomery's is on par (IMO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_6aa-TTvI

Two different animals really.
  • hrd2imgn wrote:
    His Blues album is one of a kind!

funny/weird is when i saw this thread, and was going to post, and i thought i would say the exact same thing, and here YOU were, already said! this is my number one jimi cd. it's prime stuff a++

jimi's music has been with me a long long time. i never tire of his sound and i never turn the station on the radio when his songs hit the airwaves. a huge talent that left us all way too early.
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Newch91 wrote:
    Hendrix is what every guitarist wants to be

GREATEST. GUITARIST. EVER.
    What he said.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Jimi is amazing. I dig the slower trippy stuff the most but his 3 original albums, Band of Gypsies and Woodstock are the stuff of legend.

Doesn't gave the diversity to be the best IMO, but it's just splitting hairs once you start talkin Hendrix, Page, or Gilmour
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    the monterey pop festival performance is just fantastic and truly captures what made Hendrix one of the greats
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    Jimi Hendrix was the one of few musicians who really made me fall in love with music. His playing is not even technically that great. Many guitarists have since perfected the instrument, but if they're true talents, they've made it their own. Jimi totally owned his guitar. It was the feeling in his playing, the creativity in his songwriting, the passion in his voice, the tone of his voice, the various guitar tones he used, the flow of his guitar over a kickass rythym section... the spiritual energy - that's the best way to sum it up, really!

I was just listening to Axis Bold as Love this morning as I walked 3/4 of a mile thru the bitter cold to work... it helped lift my mood a ton!
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    His playing is not even technically that great.

As John McInroe would say:

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!
    :roll:
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I recently bought Electric Ladyland on vinyl and it is THE best Hendrix album out there. The man was a genious. It's hard to call him the best because he died so young but what he accomplished in his short time will forever be challenged by guitarists. I think there are only a few guys that are in his league:

Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Page
    Stevie Ray Vaughn

To name a few. All hail Jimi Hendrix. There will never be anyone quite like him again.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,