The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    jimed14 wrote:
    was he better this year defensively, probably ... is he the best defensive shortstop in the AL ... no.

Gold Golves are a joke.

I don't disagree with you on that, but if you're basing it on fielding percentage and errors than Jeter is definitely a worthy winner at eight errors and .986. Statistically it's his best defensive year since 1998 (nine errors and a .986 fielding percentage) and that year he didn't win the Gold Glove.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    but 8 errors in far less attempts ... here ... found this ....

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... 09&month=0

Jeter had 340 attempts in 150 games.

By comparison, Cesar Izturis had the same amount amount of attempts in 112 games.

And in a few less games than Jeter, Elvis Andrus had about 70 more attempts.

sure, these guys might have had a few more errors, but these guys are getting to far more more balls, which prevents runners ... the goal of a good defensive shortstop.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    Good point, I guess AL coaches and managers are not into Sabrmetrics.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    edited November 2009
    jimed14 wrote:

By comparison, Cesar Izturis had the same amount amount of attempts in 112 games.

sure, these guys might have had a few more errors, but these guys are getting to far more more balls, which prevents runners ... the goal of a good defensive shortstop.
    so now having less errors doesn't prevent runners from scoring :roll: . geez jim you're really reaching now. andrus had 22 errors. 8 errors or 22 errors, tough choice. only one player played more games than jeter.
    Post edited by Gary Carter on
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

so now having less errors doesn't prevent runners from scoring :roll: . geez jim you're really reaching now. andrus had 22 errors. 8 errors or 22 errors, tough choice. only player played more games than jeter.

ok look at it this way ...

Andrus had 407 attempts and 22 errors ... so he put out 385 guys.

Jeter had 340 attempts with 8 errors ... so he put out 332 guys.

Does that make more sense?

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    edited November 2009
    jimed14 wrote:

andrus fpct is 968 and jeters is 986

does that make sense?

dude 22 errors is still 22 errors. lets be fucking real here. jeter had less errors than anyone in the top 10 range or no range 8 errors is still good
    Post edited by Gary Carter on

metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

andrus fcpt is 968 and jeters is 986

does that make sense?

dude 22 errors is still 22 errors. lets be fucking real here. jeter had less errors than anyone in the top 10 range or no range 8 errors is still good

you just aren't understanding my point.

jimed14 wrote:
    [

whats your point dude. 22 errors is alota errors in a season.

metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    [

whats your point dude. 22 errors is alota errors in a season.

Andrus (and others) cover more ground, get to more balls and ultimately ... GET MORE PLAYERS OUT.

jimed14 wrote:

Andrus (and others) cover more ground, get to more balls and ultimately ... GET MORE PLAYERS OUT.
    and cause they are all younger than jeter and played less games than jeter. yes age does fact into your range and the ground you can cover. look at jeters numbers when he was younger. everyone in the top 10 has 8-25 errors. no matter how you slice it, that error range is alot to me.

metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

and cause they are all younger than jeter. yes age does fact into your range and the ground you can cover. look at jeters numbers when he was younger. everyone in the top 10 has 8-25 errors. no matter how you slice it, that error range is alot to me.

Jeter only has 8 errors because there are 70 less balls that he is getting to compared to Andrus. If you back out the extra errors, that is 50 more outs Andrus is recording over Jeter.

I'm done trying to explain this. I'm baffled this isn't setting in.

In summation ...

Jeter had a great year. He had a very good year defensively, top 5 in the AL ... his offense is what ultimately won him the gold glove.

He better not win the AL MVP over Mauer.

At the end of the day, DJ has the only trophy that matters ... the champonship trophy. Kudos to him for that.

• jimed14 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

and cause they are all younger than jeter. yes age does fact into your range and the ground you can cover. look at jeters numbers when he was younger. everyone in the top 10 has 8-25 errors. no matter how you slice it, that error range is alot to me.

Jeter only has 8 errors because there are 70 less balls that he is getting to compared to Andrus. If you back out the extra errors, that is 50 more outs Andrus is recording over Jeter.

I'm done trying to explain this. I'm baffled this isn't setting in.

In summation ...

Jeter had a great year. He had a very good year defensively, top 5 in the AL ... his offense is what ultimately won him the gold glove.

At the end of the day, DJ has the only trophy that matters ... the champonship trophy. Kudos to him for that.
    70 less balls Jeter is getting to.....

Because A-rod is getting to them first????

Just a thought....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    i'm baffled you keep ignoring age and games played this season. i'm staring right at the fucking stats of the top 10 ss and they all played less games than him and had more errors than jeter.

jeters fielding percentage is better than anyone in the top 10 and has more innings than all but one player in the top 10.

bottom line is that coaches and managers aren't following sabrmetrics that closely.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I don't necessarily think that Jeter was the best defensive SS in the AL this year but the Gold Glove system is so flawed I am not at all suprised that Jeter won it considering his huge defensive improvement this year. He went from a -0.5 UZR to a 6.6 this year, which is by far his best season since they have been keeping the stat (he has never even been in positive numbers since 02). Sure players probably had better defensive years but with Jeters name and his improved defense you would be crazy to think that someone like Elvis Andrus would win it above him.

That 8 errors jumps to 15 easily if Tex was not at 1B
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    so there's talk of the Tiger's possibly trading Curtis Granderson.
    I miss igotid88
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't necessarily think that Jeter was the best defensive SS in the AL this year but the Gold Glove system is so flawed I am not at all suprised that Jeter won it considering his huge defensive improvement this year. He went from a -0.5 UZR to a 6.6 this year, which is by far his best season since they have been keeping the stat (he has never even been in positive numbers since 02). Sure players probably had better defensive years but with Jeters name and his improved defense you would be crazy to think that someone like Elvis Andrus would win it above him.

I'm not saying I think Jeter deserved the GG, but it is pretty amazing the turn around he had defensively at his age. I think it speaks to the kind of player he is.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm not saying I think Jeter deserved the GG, but it is pretty amazing the turn around he had defensively at his age. I think it speaks to the kind of player he is.

Oh for sure. The point of that post was not to make an argument against Jeter. I think he probably did deserve it this year especially with a lack of an alternative.
    jeter and tex get the silver slugger awards for their positions in the al.
    I miss igotid88
    jimed14 wrote:

In summation ...

Joe Mauer ... AL MVP ... the voters got it right.

jimed14 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

In summation ...

Joe Mauer ... AL MVP ... the voters got it right.

Sure did, except some jackass gave a first place vote to Miguel Caberea. Absolutely absurd considering he decided to get absolutely trashed, and arrested in the middle of a pennant race in which his team lost a 3 game lead with 4 to play.
    It was probably a detroit writer.
    I miss igotid88
    3 more months til opening day
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    3 more months til opening day

And I believe 46 days until the first work out. Right around the corner!
  • igotid88 wrote:
    It was probably a detroit writer.

It was actually a Japanese writer, from a Japanese newspaper
    I'm glad this was changed to the 2010 Yankees thread ... my comments on the first page should buy me a little leeway when I'm calling the pinstripers a bunch of douchebags. ;)

Here's to 2010, boys!

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Will they repeat. Only time will tell. Pitchers and catchers report on 2/18
    Shelley Duncan signs with the Indians. And Wang could throw off a mound in 6-8 weeks.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Shelley Duncan signs with the Indians. And Wang could throw off a mound in 6-8 weeks.

I wonder if the Yanks are serious about taking a shot and Wang and seeing if he can get his shit together in the minors.
    alg_granderson.jpg