so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• does anyone want to do a tally since i dont have the patience too :)

I think the consensus is yous guys should start off with John's Roast Pork. And then look forward to being disappointed by every cheese steak you have afterward. Remember, they close at 3pm.

you are the local dude and you swore by this place from the get go and the dude in the food review agrees...that's enough for me!...don't know how far from the Radisson it is but i'm going to eat there 4 sure!
  • bump for cheese steaks!!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    I concur with your bump. An extra bump for JRP.
  • JIM'S on South...don't waste your time going to anywhere else. You can even grab a beer while you are there...
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    John's Rost Pork for Cheese Steaks

Tony Lukes or DiNic's for Pork with Brocoli Rabe
  • Kanye East wrote:

I would never ever ever ever eat a cheesesteak outside of the Philly area unless the proprietor is from the Philly area.

I can't imagine that they are any different really....I mean it's steak, onion, I like hot peppers, provolone, mayo

delicious

Its all about the bread. You cant get a roll anywhere like you can in this area.

That's what people don't understand. A Philly steak isn't a "Philly" steak because of any fancy ingredients like the cheese, meat, shrooms, onions or peppers. It really is about the bread. I'm not from Philly but I've had enough steaks there over the years to notice the difference when I eat one elsewhere. The bread makes the sandwich and like Kanye East said, you can't get bread like that anywhere outside Philly.

Surprisingly, one of the best steaks I've had outside of Philly was down in New Orleans on Bourbon Street (can't remember the name of the place now). It was run by a father and son from Philly. After tasting the sandwich and finding out that they were from Philly I asked if they baked their own bread, as I already knew that was the key ingredient. They said no, that they have it shipped in from Philly. Even arriving a couple days after baking, that stuff is still superior. By the way, if anyone knows the place I'm talking about, try the steak with the N'awlins mustard on it. That stuff will clear out your sinuses faster than anything.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
    Kanye East wrote:
    I can't imagine that they are any different really....I mean it's steak, onion, I like hot peppers, provolone, mayo

delicious

Its all about the bread. You cant get a roll anywhere like you can in this area.

That's what people don't understand. A Philly steak isn't a "Philly" steak because of any fancy ingredients like the cheese, meat, shrooms, onions or peppers. It really is about the bread. I'm not from Philly but I've had enough steaks there over the years to notice the difference when I eat one elsewhere. The bread makes the sandwich and like Kanye East said, you can't get bread like that anywhere outside Philly.

Surprisingly, one of the best steaks I've had outside of Philly was down in New Orleans on Bourbon Street (can't remember the name of the place now). It was run by a father and son from Philly. After tasting the sandwich and finding out that they were from Philly I asked if they baked their own bread, as I already knew that was the key ingredient. They said no, that they have it shipped in from Philly. Even arriving a couple days after baking, that stuff is still superior. By the way, if anyone knows the place I'm talking about, try the steak with the N'awlins mustard on it. That stuff will clear out your sinuses faster than anything.

I believe it's called Chubby's. Haha, that's funny. I ate at the same place and struck up a conversation with the owner. He said he used to drive from South Jersey to Nawlins every weekend. It was an aiight cheesesteak, but it wasn't like here.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    steak escape :lol:
    I'll be back
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    No votes yet for Dalessandro's?

WTF is wrong with you people?

And there it is... I was looking to see if anyone mentioned this one. Close to Manayunk too.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    John's Rost Pork for Cheese Steaks

Tony Lukes or DiNic's for Pork with Brocoli Rabe

Dinic's was on Man vs Food the other day..is this sandwich really that good? It didn't look that great but everyone was raving about it, saying it's even better than any Philly cheese steak..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I'm so intrigued by cheese steaks......I only learned what they are this year.....and they look like shit tbh......yet everyone raves how tasty they are......and I reallly want to try one!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
    My3rdEye wrote:
    No votes yet for Dalessandro's?

WTF is wrong with you people?

And there it is... I was looking to see if anyone mentioned this one. Close to Manayunk too.

Dal's is aiight, but they don't cook their mushrooms enough and they chop their steak up into dust. It beats a blank though. Manayunk...... I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Oh, and it's JRP for cheesesteaks AND roast pork. They're not called John's Roast Pork for nothing. Just go there for both. Tony Luke's is highly overrated - the dude is now marketing a supermarket steak-umm style cheesesteak and roast pork kit in the freezer section. I think that says it all.

Zig, if you like greasy delicious food then you'll love a cheesesteak. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like one. Well, except for hipster doofuses.

Zig, if you like greasy delicious food then you'll love a cheesesteak. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like one. Well, except for hipster doofuses.

Can you find me a picture of a good looking one please? All the ones I've seen look a bit yuck! :?

I'd probably have a few beers beforehand and THEN have one -- nothing better than beer and grease!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Can you find me a picture of a good looking one please? All the ones I've seen look a bit yuck! :?

I'd probably have a few beers beforehand and THEN have one -- nothing better than beer and grease!

nothing better than a good Philly cheesesteak at like 3 in the morning after a night of drinking - it's awesome for sure.
    pjhawks wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

nothing better than a good Philly cheesesteak at like 3 in the morning after a night of drinking - it's awesome for sure.

Exactly.

Zig, the cheesesteak is not suppose to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye. It's all about the taste, but here ya go... Here's a pic of a cheesteak(left) and roast pork(right) from the best place on earth for both...

jrp.jpg

Mmmmmm, that's a good roll.

• I believe it's called Chubby's. Haha, that's funny. I ate at the same place and struck up a conversation with the owner. He said he used to drive from South Jersey to Nawlins every weekend. It was an aiight cheesesteak, but it wasn't like here.

Yeah, that sounds right. The cheesesteak was just alright. I would never dream of putting mustard on a real cheesesteak in Philly, but I figured what the hell, it's New Orleans. That is still the spiciest mustard I have ever tasted. In reality it defeated the purpose of the steak. I easily could have slid the meat, cheese, shrooms and peppers out of the sandwich and not even noticed the difference.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin

Exactly.

Zig, the cheesesteak is not suppose to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye. It's all about the taste, but here ya go... Here's a pic of a cheesteak(left) and roast pork(right) from the best place on earth for both...

jrp.jpg

Mmmmmm, that's a good roll.

That looks quite nice. The ones I've seen in pictures look sloppy and shitty.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    There's a great cheesesteak place in Chicago called Philly's Best. I think the guy is from Philly and it's the closest you can get to the real deal.

My greatest regret is the one afternoon I spent in Philly I somehow didn't manage to eat a cheese steak :(
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    i see a tour de cheese steak in my future!

is blue moon popular around there by any chance? it's my beer of choice.

count me the hell in on this!!!! lunch 10/28 i'm in! we're going to need something to do before the wishlist tent!
    I love to turn you on
  • There's a great cheesesteak place in Chicago called Philly's Best. I think the guy is from Philly and it's the closest you can get to the real deal.

My greatest regret is the one afternoon I spent in Philly I somehow didn't manage to eat a cheese steak :(
    I spent one afternoon in Philly, jumping in a cab, riding 10 miles for a cheesesteak, waiting in line for 20 minutes to get said cheesesteak......

I will never eat one of those garbage on a bun sandwiches again.....

Geno's and Pat's are complete shit.....I could get a better sandwich at 7-11.............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    There's a great cheesesteak place in Chicago called Philly's Best. I think the guy is from Philly and it's the closest you can get to the real deal.

I spent one afternoon in Philly, jumping in a cab, riding 10 miles for a cheesesteak, waiting in line for 20 minutes to get said cheesesteak......

Geno's and Pat's are complete shit.....I could get a better sandwich at 7-11.............

seriously? was this worse than the woman urinating on the bench next to you at your hotel? :lol:
    I love to turn you on
  • Geno's and Pat's cheesesteak is equivalent to....

Some fucking dog food covered with cheese-whiz.....thrown on a stale, hard disgusting bun......
    Geno's and Pat's cheesesteak is equivalent to....

Some fucking dog food covered with cheese-whiz.....thrown on a stale, hard disgusting bun......

dude we gotta tailgate together in philly. i gotta hear some road stories from you.
    I love to turn you on
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788
    edited October 2009
    From what I have heard over the years.....

Going to Geno's and Pat's for cheesesteak is the equivalent of going to McDoodles for a gourmet cheeseburger...

So maybe it was my fault for going to those shit-holes....
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
  • Geno's and Pat's cheesesteak is equivalent to....

dude we gotta tailgate together in philly. i gotta hear some road stories from you.
    I'll be there....

Saturday I am going to Betsy Ross' house again.....Hopefully I dont have to step over some bum, laying in the curb, urinating on himself, to get through the front door. (True story 03)
  • There's a great cheesesteak place in Chicago called Philly's Best. I think the guy is from Philly and it's the closest you can get to the real deal.

seriously? was this worse than the woman urinating on the bench next to you at your hotel? :lol:
    You have a good memory...

My trips to Philly have been nothing but legendary....

Im sure this year will be no different.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Geno's and Pat's cheesesteak is equivalent to....

yeah the cheese whiz freaks me out.....I saw a food network show where they visited all these joints and I can't fathom any place no matter how famous putting cw on anything...outrageous
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

it's on Belmont just west of Clark. i had a craving so i went there. i was not that impressed.

yes the guy is from philly
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i still don't care what the haters say, i'm going to Pat's. i've been there twice and i like em. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Penn Station is fine with me
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville