Options

Handicapped Fanclub seats?

2»

Comments

• Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Question for blondie - you aree a regular consumer of ADA, as I am.

I understand with people having medical issues needing ADA seats - I have no problem with that. My mom is one of them - she has Lupus disease where it weakens her bones and she gets tired from standing long and has a ticket to park in the handicapped parking.

I'm talking about folks who have had recent surgeries, such as knee replacement..... suppose that 10c member or his/her extra ticket is the one needing that seating requesting ADA seating.

Would you be upset if that person who only needed it for a short period of time got in front of you or took them - the seats primarily designed for you.

I would. We fought so hard for those laws....and it's so sad to see it abused so badly or it being not enforced elsewhere.

It's funny to see someone like mensane complaining.... that's nothing compared to our everyday frustrations and denied access.

Sorry, mensane.... but. :|

EDIT: Sorry, I thought mensane was the OP... but as someone said, ask 10c.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    mensane wrote:
    my most recent pearl jam show was ruined because of the tenclub's inability to help me with this very issue.

prior to purchasing tickets to a show last summer, i called the local number to speak with someone at the ten club. i explained my situation: after many years, i was taking my dad to his first pearl jam show so he could see what all the fuss was about. (he has been very patient with my "obsession"). he had had knee replacement surgery recently and was unable to stand for long periods of time. i knew my 10c number was such that i would end up on the floor but many rows back. i asked if there was anything they could do to get me a pair of tickets that would allow him to see from a seated position, or if i should just deal directly with ticketmaster/venue. they said they would take care of me.

i got to the venue and picked up my tickets. on the envelope was the word "aisle". nothing else, just aisle. well, we ended up about 18 rows back with seats on the OUTSIDE aisle. he couldnt see anything when seated. i was furious. they could have bumped me back to the seats of people with a higher number than me and put us at the front of one of the side sections. but they didnt.

i would contact the venue to get actual disability seating.

Nothing against the 10c, but they probably get dozens of these calls per show and hundreds over the span of a tour. They probably did do their best to do what was right, but they probably didn't know the venue that well...

Anyways, like I said before...contacting the venue is going to be the best bet.

You've got that exactly right! If there are problems with the ADA seating, take it up with the venue who designed those, not 10c. They were designed so that they could see within the "line of sight" law for wheelchair folks.

It would be nice to have someone like blondie on board for the ADA section under 10c because you have to live that life and experienced enough to know what works and what doesn't work.

10c can only do so much. But they do their damnest best though.

From my experience, most folks at the venues have NO idea what I really need to have equal opportunity/access and just assume shit. Fuck, I wish I was in a wheelchair instead (no offense, blondie) because compared to my situation, wheelchair access is out there more and people are more familiar with that.... because in my situation, someone else talks for me and I don't like that. They make the decisions representing me....that fucking sucks, like they know more than I do? But what can I do? I can only do my best working with people at the venue ahead of time and during - even when I purchase the tickets through 10c.

10c has nothing to do with my situation, just giving me the ADA seats (if they are available) and then I work with the venue and the agency.
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    We have always purchased GA wheelchair/disabled tickets for concerts direct from the venue. That way you're guaranteed a suitable seat and it's not usually too tricky to get hold of them.

Some venues in the UK sometimes allow a 'wheelchair helper' a free ticket although that's rare.

Wheelchair areas are usually in a good spot, so you'd not be losing much on seniority seats either.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    Heartdog – I knew that was you! The pit….lol! that makes me laugh because PJ shows aren’t what they used to be. I wouldn’t even refer to that area as the pit anymore. but yea I guess that’s where I was at in 08. right there in front of the stage in row one. I’m sure it’s a lot safer now for people with disabilities then in the times of mosh pits!

IamMine – That’s a hard question. Those people are disabled even thou they are for a temporary time.
    What I don’t like to see is obese people abusing our rights. But who am I to judge? That’s what I remind myself. But then again, I have to live with this crippled body everyday too, do those ‘temporaries’ think of that?

But I can see the enlightening moment in, ‘oh you think you have it hard, look at me.’ I teaches people compassion, but you know what? Life is hard. Period. For everybody. Life is hard.
    So while I’m not one for being all my life is harder than yours, I am one for showing a little courtesy and respect.

‘you have to live that life’
    I get your point but the older I get the more I think common sense and compassion can go a long way to make barriers disappear for people with disabilities. The disabled have been around since mankind. Understanding my disability is only going to get me so far. I don’t care if you know about my disability and it’s troubles. Give me access, respect and compassion.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    Heartdog – I knew that was you! The pit….lol! that makes me laugh because PJ shows aren’t what they used to be. I wouldn’t even refer to that area as the pit anymore. but yea I guess that’s where I was at in 08. right there in front of the stage in row one. I’m sure it’s a lot safer now for people with disabilities then in the times of mosh pits!

IamMine – That’s a hard question. Those people are disabled even thou they are for a temporary time.
    What I don’t like to see is obese people abusing our rights. But who am I to judge? That’s what I remind myself. But then again, I have to live with this crippled body everyday too, do those ‘temporaries’ think of that?

But I can see the enlightening moment in, ‘oh you think you have it hard, look at me.’ I teaches people compassion, but you know what? Life is hard. Period. For everybody. Life is hard.
    So while I’m not one for being all my life is harder than yours, I am one for showing a little courtesy and respect.

‘you have to live that life’
    I get your point but the older I get the more I think common sense and compassion can go a long way to make barriers disappear for people with disabilities. The disabled have been around since mankind. Understanding my disability is only going to get me so far. I don’t care if you know about my disability and it’s troubles. Give me access, respect and compassion.

You said ti well. :)

If it were done like that, then it wouldn't be even an issue or even having to mention that term at all. :P

Thanks. :)
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    Well I think everybody should be treated with respect and compassion rather if you have a disability or not. But that’s not how the world runs sadly. And like you said, if it did this thread may not exist. 8-)

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,442
    IamMine wrote:
    bionicamy wrote:
    I have needed assistance and also hate the process that you must go through to purchase accessible seating.
    More often than not if you try to go through the proper steps the show will be sold out before you ever get a chance to purchase the tickets. Best bet is to purchase the tickets and then deal with the venue.
    (Air Canada Center is THE BEST venue to deal with the nicest staff ever!)
    Live Nation does an amazing job to insure your seats are correct before you ever get to the venue. Ticketmaster not so good.
    10c has been wonderful in the past but I will always provide the medical cards I carry whenever I am requesting seats at any venue.
    Most venues the accessible seating is not very good at all especially when everyone else is standing and you are sitting. But I’m not in accessible for the view, I’m there because it’s the safest place for me to be at the venue.
    Lollaplooza was very disheartening when the accessible area became filled with pregnant couples and unfortunately a couple of guys in fake leg braces. It was so full that the staff required only the person with the disability or pregnant could remain. There were people in wheelchairs that could not even make it onto the platform. (the staff did the best they could in a bad situation) Don’t get me wrong I would never want to see harm come to anyone but people do take advantage and it only makes it harder for those who need.

OMG... I know. C3 didn't do a good job either managing those people.... I worked hard on that for 2008, kicking people out of my designated area.

I feel for the people need access to ADA seats (I hate the word "Handicapped")... I have seen it abused so badly, that it really pisses me off that the venue or place is not doing its job to ensure that a person really needs it.

But on the flip side, it wouldn't be fair to ask that person to go to extremes proving that while the "so-called regular" people don't have to when they purchase for regular tickets... but unfortunately to protect ourselves, we should consider going extra so it does not happen to other people who really need them. I do that anyway.

I did that for Lolla 08, but I don't know if it got any better for Lolla 09....I'd be pissed if it didn't because of all my hard work "poof" just for one year - 2008. That wasn't my goal - but to keep it going from there.

ADA was designed for people like blondie and me so we didn't have to "hassle" (I quote because like she said, it's still a hassle) but more really for equal access. It takes me months (if permitted) to prepare the venue and an agency, and all that. A month isn't enough, unfortunately - unless they were the same people all the time.

I'm sorry it didn't work out with 10c....but they can only have what they are given from the venue and by that, it's allocated based on seniority.

ADA seats go out very fast, it's not funny. People think of whatever medical issue they have and use that... sigh.

Pardon me for my ignorance, but besides being given an area that can accomodate a signer, what other needs is there for a deaf person at a concert?
  • Options
    i know deaf people who love music. they feel beats and vibration.

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Some venues in the UK sometimes allow a 'wheelchair helper' a free ticket although that's rare. .

In London, it's most venues. Not just wheelchair, but any disabled person (who can prove they receive a disability allowance). Got tix for SB that way. Just booked AIC - the venue allows the 'helper/carer' in free as well. Generally venues will also 'reserve' a lil' stack of tickets for disabled so no panic when they go on general sale.

As someone said, 10C deal with what the venue gives them. For SB, I had to go directly to the venue for tickets.
  • Options
    same in the US
    a campanion seat.

and if you go with your family....like 4 people they’re ‘supposed’ to accommodate you, so you can all sit together.

'(who can prove they receive a disability allowance)'
    i like that proving thing. wish they did that in the US. but with that 'temporaries' wouldn't be able to use ADA seats.

Yes is a teaching thread. I like it. 8-)

• Options
    '(who can prove they receive a disability allowance)'
    i like that proving thing. wish they did that in the US. but with that 'temporaries' wouldn't be able to use ADA seats.

Yes is a teaching thread. I like it. 8-)

There are so many disabilities that are not as obvious as a person in a wheelchair. If the disability is not physical, one may not automatically be 'assigned' ADA seats if the venue is GA, but will have the opportunity to have his/her 'companion' go free and also have early access, therefore not in the mad rush of people going for GA seats but being able to get a seat (a good one!) so no 'ass watching'!
  • Options
    I can’t think of any other instance where a person with a disability would need ADA seats for a concert if their disability wasn’t physical/visible? Can you?

• Options
    I can’t think of any other instance where a person with a disability would need ADA seats for a concert if their disability wasn’t physical/visible? Can you?

Following a stroke.... not obvious. Not warranting a wheelchair but difficulties standing, balance, etc. along with 'other' problems. Nothing one would notice at first glance. As I said, they may not be assigned seating in those areas (as there are seats and wheelchair space - at least in the venues I know), but they would still need disabled access. If the venue is all standing, they can usually provide chairs/seats for the person & companion in the wheelchair area.
  • Options
    good answer.

i've often thought people with disabilities should be issued a card with a number. That way we could buy ADA tickets online and things like that with no hassle. But then again handicap parking tags are a joke so maybe that wouldn’t work. Plus I’m sure some would say the card infringes on privacy.

There’s so much gray area with things regarding people with disabilities I hate it.

• Options
    A card or something would be useful maybe. My husband hates it everytime he is asked to send a copy of his 'disability allowance letter'. He's only started 'going out' in the past few months after a major stroke and we have been only been dealing with these issues for a short time. Though in the UK (or at least in my borough), my husband is very well catered for (ie taxi vouchers, free public transport, rehab, etc). He needs someone with him when he goes out as he now has short term memory problems. It is a constant reminder (even sometimes humiliation he feels) to have to carry this letter with him if he doesn't want his companion to be out of the pocket everytime he would like to go to the museum, swimming, etc.

Not easy by all means. I know they are trying to make things easier but there is still a lot of work to be done. Venues are definitely improving this access.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    yes venues have gotten way better. people are following the ADA guidelines way more now.

i can understand how your husband feels.
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,790
    Call the 10C. I'm bringing my brother who is autistic to the first Philly show, and they helped me with his issues for seating.
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    Call the 10C. I'm bringing my brother who is autistic to the first Philly show, and they helped me with his issues for seating.

the show that hasnt happened yet?
  • Options
    mensane wrote:

I don't understand the sarcasm. Yes, the show on Oct. 27th. Better to call in advance than play the handicap card right at the door.
  • Options
    aw, yes......the golden handicapped card. much like the race card. and yes i'll admit I have used it. can be a good thing and bad thing all in the same moment.

Funny thing thou, because I still think if there was a physical/real life handicap card things would be easier.

• Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    mensane wrote:

I don't understand the sarcasm. Yes, the show on Oct. 27th. Better to call in advance than play the handicap card right at the door.

i guess the reason for the sarcasm is that you said they helped you with his seating issues. i thought the same thing before the show that i took my dad to. i hope they actually help you and dont screw you like they did to me.
  • Options
    mensane wrote:
    mensane wrote:

i guess the reason for the sarcasm is that you said they helped you with his seating issues. i thought the same thing before the show that i took my dad to. i hope they actually help you and dont screw you like they did to me.

Well, whatever. I called them, spoke with Anna, and she supposedly helped me with my issue. If not though, no big deal.
  • Options
    zadarszadars Posts: 24
    I am one of those folks that have an "invisible illness" (Lupus, and 17 failed back surgeries). Depending on how I'm feeling on a particular day, warrants which device I use, to help me motor along, (cane, walker, wheelchair). Remember that the VENUE, also plays a LARGE roll, in the seating, (or assistance with) this seating problem. When I was in the horrible line for the ticket wait in Hartford (no, I will NEVER drop this,,,,,it was a TERRIBLE experience), I showed my Medicare card, AND my NJ State disability card, (you must have one, to get the ADA parking placards or plates, in the state), anyway, when I showed BOTH ID's to the "Venue Security A-Holes" on the so called, "Watch" of the line, they said and I QUOTE " Sorry Lady, that won't PLAY here, if you gotta get your tickets, from standing in this line, then you have to wait just like everybody else".
    Wow, that was such a kick in the face,,,,,,,about 30 min. later, we even asked for a chair,,,,,,,,no dice. Their reply when asked for a chair, was pretty much the same, (except with more anger and sarcasm). "Look LADY, we told you that it DOESN'T MATTER, you HAVE to WAIT just like EVERYBODY else!!" ,,,,,and as we walked away back to the line, they said to each other, while laughing "some people will do JUST ABOUT ANYTHING" (wow again,,,,,the kicks just kept coming). When I wrote to the venue to say something about their HORRIBLE treatment by the staff, I got a BIG FAT ZERO for a response.

So, quite often, with a venue that I have never been to, it is often, just like the 10C seating lottery,,,,,,,,,you NEVER know where you are going to sit, until you get INTO the venue. Usually, the smaller venues have better, and MORE POLITE staff, to assist you.

And like I also stated before, the 10C, has always been GREAT with the calls to GET the 10C ADA seating ISSUED. However, I do not know how much influence they have as to WHERE that seating is. Like in Camden, the ADA seating is behind the 100 section,,,,,,,,as soon as those folks stand up,,,,,,,,if I'm in my wheelchair,,,,,it's all butts and elbows! MSG, has ADA seating on EVERY floor (they will tell you different), but my first 10C seating issue was on the TOP floor (MSG has seven levels,,,,,,this was fan club seating?) they were "nice enough to LET me" (their words from MSG), LET me, sit on the fourth level,,,,,,,,(but honestly, when you get to to show, and have to do THAT much run around, BEFORE a show,,,,,I'm exhausted before the show even starts!).
    The TAJ in AC has been great on occasion, but I think that it was BECAUSE of David Crosby. When I went to see CSNY in AC,( I had made a Sock Monkey for CROZ,,,,LONG story),,,, and after he got it, the next thing I knew, I was in the FRONT row (GOD,,,,,what a freakin' show). So yeah,,,,,it is my DREAM to see PJAM from the front row, but alas, I have given up on that dream LONG AGO! As always, I'm just happy to see them AT ALL!!

Again, if you do need ADA seating,,,,,,,,PLEASE try and get to the shows, as early as possible, because then they can try and get you situated BEFORE the lights go down, and 15K people are already inside. This is usually the biggest time that you find the able bodied in the ADA seats,,,,,,,,and after that happens, NEVER ONCE has ANY of those horrible people, that are already in that area, given up a seat for me, and I have been tossed into a hallway to see the rest of the show! GET THERE EARLY!!!!!

Fingers CROSSED for good sight lines in Philly!!!

Maybe we'll see you there!
  • Options
    Thanks zadars for your post. It just reinforces what I but maybe not what other people know…ADA seating at venues have much to improve on. The ADA is there but it’s not followed and exercised as it should be.

Some new venues have the ADA section marked on their website.
    I went to a show once that was at a university. I was able to buy ADA seating online, no problem, thru the venue. It was wonderful!

Was it that the line was too long for you to wait? They couldn’t even bring you a chair? wow.

• Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    My wife is wheelchair-bound, and I quite frequently take her to shows. Out here in the Bay Area, I e-mail Ticketmaster the moment public tickets go on sale -- we have had FANTASTIC ADA seats at: San Jose Compaq Arena (Shark Tank); and the Oakland Arena and Coliseum (both venues are AWESOME, Oracle Arena being just about my fav place to get ADA seats).

The flipside is tragic, my favorite venue, the Berkeley Greek Theater -- handicap folks park on the "first tier" walkway in the amphitheater, but there's no platform, when folks stand in the lower bowl section, kiss your sight lines goodbye! What's worse, they don't honor the actual ticketed seats -- we had A1&A2, should have been the first two spots, instead, we got there late (but prior to the opening act) and the ushers would not seat us in our spots, "Sorry it's kinda first-come-first-serve." (No! My ticket clearly says A1&2 like the small taped markers indicate.) There's no nearby handicap parking, they will let you "drop off" at a dorm nearby with a "level" path into the venue -- but you can't leave a car there, so the person sits for 10-20 minutes at the dorm while you go find a parking spot! One Bonus: they do let wheelchairs into the backstage/side stage area to use ADA restrooms!

More Berkeley horrors, stuck in second row ADA seats and companion of a man in knee-brace/cane decided it would be cool to STAND in front of my wife in her wheelchair and hippy dance. Um, you're there in ADA seating with someone who can't stand, and you decide TO STAND in front of another person in a wheelchair?!?!?! This is the face of earthy, crunchy peace-luvin Berkeley ... clueless! (I could tell from her armpits she was local....)

So I guess I would just toss my hat into the discussion to point out a few things:
    -- SPORTS ARENAS get it. Staff is very accommodating, viewlines are awesome. Security in the parking lots see us coming from a mile away and start directing us to the proper entrances, walk us past lines, get us to proper elevators and back entrances (we were actually wheeled across backstage and out through the side curtains for The Police at the Coliseum! Totally Cool!)
    -- Tickets straight from venue have never "really" been a problem, but ushers can be clueless.

I'm going to try for 10C seats eventually -- but my gut says prolly better going through the public/venue system. One more twist, I love that 10C sets up group rates at local hotels, we tried that with the Se Hotel in San Diego -- their ADA room consisted of a wheelchair accessible peephole in the door. No rails in the bathrooms (toilet or shower); no bench in the shower, no nuthin! I looked at 3 different "handicapped" rooms before throwing my hands up -- but she was taking her life in her hands every time she had to pee! We almost ALWAYS use the Hilton who have never let us down.

And I wish Pearl Jam had never written Light Years, Parachutes, Just Breathe or The End ... they're as hard for me to get through as listening to Eddie sing Trouble!!! And yet, best therapy in the world for me....
    [sic] happens