Options

Handicapped Fanclub seats?

vedderfreak12vedderfreak12 Posts: 17
edited October 2009 in The Porch
I've got a friend in a wheelchair who is dying to see Pearl Jam, and I'm a fanclub member. Does anyone know if I can use my membership for good/better than normal handicapped seats, or am I better off just dealing with the venue and buying tickets outside of TenClub?

Thanks!
Later,
Bryce

4/20/1921, 12/25/2048, 1/1/2000, 9/10/1977.... does it really matter?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    I have no idea sorry, but would suggest contacting Ten Club - im sure they would be happy to answer. I bet your not the first to ask!
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    I've got a friend in a wheelchair who is dying to see Pearl Jam, and I'm a fanclub member. Does anyone know if I can use my membership for good/better than normal handicapped seats, or am I better off just dealing with the venue and buying tickets outside of TenClub?

Thanks!

I met a guy named Joe at Bonnaroo who was in a wheelchair and he used his 10c seats for shows. He said they usually put him in the middle of the isle so he could see and sometimes let him set up even closer to the stage than his seats were. Hope that helps a bit...
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    my most recent pearl jam show was ruined because of the tenclub's inability to help me with this very issue.

prior to purchasing tickets to a show last summer, i called the local number to speak with someone at the ten club. i explained my situation: after many years, i was taking my dad to his first pearl jam show so he could see what all the fuss was about. (he has been very patient with my "obsession"). he had had knee replacement surgery recently and was unable to stand for long periods of time. i knew my 10c number was such that i would end up on the floor but many rows back. i asked if there was anything they could do to get me a pair of tickets that would allow him to see from a seated position, or if i should just deal directly with ticketmaster/venue. they said they would take care of me.

i got to the venue and picked up my tickets. on the envelope was the word "aisle". nothing else, just aisle. well, we ended up about 18 rows back with seats on the OUTSIDE aisle. he couldnt see anything when seated. i was furious. they could have bumped me back to the seats of people with a higher number than me and put us at the front of one of the side sections. but they didnt.

i would contact the venue to get actual disability seating.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Typically most venues will have a handicap area. Just call the venue prior to the show and give them your info and they can direct you where to go when you get there.

That said, most handicap areas are actually really nice spots to see a show. :)
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    mensane wrote:
    my most recent pearl jam show was ruined because of the tenclub's inability to help me with this very issue.

prior to purchasing tickets to a show last summer, i called the local number to speak with someone at the ten club. i explained my situation: after many years, i was taking my dad to his first pearl jam show so he could see what all the fuss was about. (he has been very patient with my "obsession"). he had had knee replacement surgery recently and was unable to stand for long periods of time. i knew my 10c number was such that i would end up on the floor but many rows back. i asked if there was anything they could do to get me a pair of tickets that would allow him to see from a seated position, or if i should just deal directly with ticketmaster/venue. they said they would take care of me.

i got to the venue and picked up my tickets. on the envelope was the word "aisle". nothing else, just aisle. well, we ended up about 18 rows back with seats on the OUTSIDE aisle. he couldnt see anything when seated. i was furious. they could have bumped me back to the seats of people with a higher number than me and put us at the front of one of the side sections. but they didnt.

Nothing against the 10c, but they probably get dozens of these calls per show and hundreds over the span of a tour. They probably did do their best to do what was right, but they probably didn't know the venue that well...

Anyways, like I said before...contacting the venue is going to be the best bet.
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    mca47 wrote:
    Typically most venues will have a handicap area. Just call the venue prior to the show and give them your info and they can direct you where to go when you get there.

That said, most handicap areas are actually really nice spots to see a show. :)
    Last summer I fucked up my knee real bad. I already had tickets to see Foo Fighters. I love the foos and hadn't seen them live so i wasnt gonna let my knee stop me! So we called the venue and a coupel other places and they wouldnt let me sit with my friend and dad if I sat in wheelchair area. :(
    Good luck.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    mensane wrote:

Nothing against the 10c, but they probably get dozens of these calls per show and hundreds over the span of a tour. They probably did do their best to do what was right, but they probably didn't know the venue that well...

really? you think DOZENS for every show? I doubt it. i was more than willing to go through the venue for my tickets but the 10club assured me that they would take care of me. they did not.
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    mensane wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    mensane wrote:

really? you think DOZENS for every show? I doubt it. i was more than willing to go through the venue for my tickets but the 10club assured me that they would take care of me. they did not.
    On the flip side, I've seen a wheelchair section set aside for all the shows I've been to, whether organised by 10c or venue.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:
    On the flip side, I've seen a wheelchair section set aside for all the shows I've been to, whether organised by 10c or venue.

i imagine that is established by the venue.
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    i rocked out with a dude in a wheel chair at the vic.
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    I’m a wheelchair user.

Speaking from experience………

I’ve learned from my past it’s best just to buy regular seats and let the venue place you in disabled seating when you get there. get there early before the music starts playing, that way you can negotiate if you don't like where your seats are.
    remember some disabled seating sucks! some venues design them poorly and when people stand up you can't see the stage at all because you're sitting. when i come across a venue like that, i just wantta slap somebody.

You have to wait to order disabled seating on ticketmaster, which is unfair in my opinion. I want tickets and I want them now! Or ticketmaster will give you another number to call (after you’re on hold forever) to order disabled seating. You can’t order disabled seating online either. Which protects against fakers, but makes it a pain in the ass for the actual disabled customer.

The two times I have chose not to hassle 10c with requesting disabled seats, and everything has turned out alright.

Now, if the system worked smoothly I wouldn’t have ‘take’ an abled-bodied seat. But until there’s no hassle for me I will continue to buy regular seating.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    mca47 wrote:

regardless of how many requests they received, they shouldn't have said they would take care of her if they had no intention of doing so. and wtf does not knowing the venue have to do with putting someone that far back on the floor if he can't stand up. EVERYONE that goes to concerts knows that you cant see shit from a seated position on the floor.

why are people so quick to defend the 10c when it's so obvious that they mess up? for years, i've wondered about this.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    and wtf does not knowing the venue have to do with putting someone that far back on the floor if he can't stand up. EVERYONE that goes to concerts knows that you cant see shit from a seated position on the floor.

bingo. :)

• Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    i hope 10C gives all of you backstage passes and great seats...if i were famous, that would be my first objective!
    Fakers would surely take advantage, but karma comes into play.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    Thank you blondieblue227. I think a lot of this will also come down to what kind of venue they play, whether it be an intimate concert hall or big outdoor ampitheatre. I think I'll just wait and see where the band will be playing.
    After looking at the profile you have here I noticed ticket stubs from an ampitheatre. In my honest opinion most of them are set up the same, so how would you rate your seats?
    Later,
    Bryce

• Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    After looking at the profile you have here
    Sorry to hijack, but how were you able to do that? I can't seem to be able to find/view friends or profiles.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    edited March 2012
    :|
    Post edited by bionicamy on
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    edited April 2009
    bionicamy wrote:
    Lollaplooza was very disheartening when the accessible area became filled with pregnant couples and unfortunately a couple of guys in fake leg braces. It was so full that the staff required only the person with the disability or pregnant could remain. There were people in wheelchairs that could not even make it onto the platform. (the staff did the best they could in a bad situation) Don’t get me wrong I would never want to see harm come to anyone but people do take advantage and it only makes it harder for those who need.
    That is so awful that people would go as far as faking disabilities :(
    As far as pregnancy goes, I honestly have mixed feelings. I mean, it's not fair to exclude anyone from a show, but if it's something that will be dangerous enough to put your fetus at risk, then maybe give things a lot of thought. Taking space away from those who have true disabilities simply because you're with child...I just don't see that being cool at all. It's not the same as the parking spaces that they now reserve for those with child. Those venues secure such a small spot for those who need it.
    I dunno.

Edit: Not to mention, if a pregnant woman saw someone in an actual wheelchair being denied access, and didn't immediately volunteer to go somewhere else, then I can only imagine how awful the child will turn out having a mother like that!
    Post edited by Sharon_Hearts_PJ on
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    bionicamy wrote:
    Lollaplooza was very disheartening when the accessible area became filled with pregnant couples and unfortunately a couple of guys in fake leg braces. It was so full that the staff required only the person with the disability or pregnant could remain. There were people in wheelchairs that could not even make it onto the platform. (the staff did the best they could in a bad situation) Don’t get me wrong I would never want to see harm come to anyone but people do take advantage and it only makes it harder for those who need.
    That is so awful that people would go as far as faking disabilities :(
    As far as pregnancy goes, I honestly have mixed feelings. I mean, it's not fair to exclude anyone from a show, but if it's something that will be dangerous enough to put your fetus at risk, then maybe give things a lot of thought. Taking space away from those who have true disabilities simply because you're with child...I just don't see that being cool at all. It's not the same as the parking spaces that they now reserve for those with child. Those venues secure such a small spot for those who need it.
    I dunno.

i agree 1000%!
  • Options
    Sorry to hijack, but how were you able to do that? I can't seem to be able to find/view friends or profiles.

+1 - I cannot figure out how to view people's profiles or blogs either ...
  • Options
    cayennecayenne Posts: 4
    Last year I ruptured my achilles tendon. By the time the concerts came around I was in a cast up to my knee. I emailed the 10c five weeks in advance and asked if they can relocate my tickets to the handicapped seating. They replied and said they will do their best to switch tickets if possible.

When I picked up my 10c tickets for Hartford and Mansfield, I was surprised and grateful to find both shows were in the handicapped seating. So in my case, the 10c came through on both shows. Just ask and see what happens.
  • Options
    cayenne wrote:
    Last year I ruptured my achilles tendon. By the time the concerts came around I was in a cast up to my knee. I emailed the 10c five weeks in advance and asked if they can relocate my tickets to the handicapped seating. They replied and said they will do their best to switch tickets if possible.

When I picked up my 10c tickets for Hartford and Mansfield, I was surprised and grateful to find both shows were in the handicapped seating. So in my case, the 10c came through on both shows. Just ask and see what happens.

nice for you--they wouldn't/couldn't take care of me like that, but they've never liked me.
  • Options

Not all message board members have it, but look below their username. The guy I was responding to has a "3W" next to the "PM" for Private Message. What does 3W mean?.... your guess is as good as mine.
    Later,
    Bryce

• Options
    You’re welcome vedderfreak. Glad to help. Any excuse to talk about disability advocacy and I’m all over it!

That amphitheater has sad disabled seating. The floor isn’t elevated enough in the disabled seating area, so you can’t see what’s going on onstage.
    I won the 10c lottery that year. See siggy hehehe. So I was front row. No big heads to block my view!

Speaking of my siggy, I put my profile url there so that’s how vedderfreak saw. Every member has one, thou I think 10c is working on them now so you can’t edit them. Hope they fix it soon!

Ahhh! Bionicamy, you too know what it’s like!
    Yeah people don’t kid yourselves there’s tons of ‘fakers’ out there.
    They’re all going to hell! Hehehehe. Or their first born will be disabled. I’m a firm believer of Karma.
    I mean if there were no ‘fakers’ it would be easy for me to buy disabled seating online. That right there tells you people have abused it.
    If you have a temporary injury or whatever, I’m ok with you sitting in disabled seating. But sometimes there’s really no way to tell if somebody’s faking or not.

• Options
    zadarszadars Posts: 24
    Last year at MSG my handicapped 10C seats were on THE TOP FLOOR OF THE GARDEN. When I got up there, the building was shaking and the music had not even started yet! My fear of heights kicked in, and I started getting dizzy, and could not sit up there! My 10C number starts in the 212's so I have been a member for a while. I had to ask the Venue people at MSG if they could find me another spot to see the show. They took me down to the fourth floor and I sat in my wheelchair and my friend sat in a folding chair near the exit/entrance to the seating sections. It was better than what the 10c gave me,,,,,but the band still looked like ANTS from up there.
    I often try to just get a regular seating issued, and take my cane or walker with me because 10c members are usually SO COOL WITH EACH OTHER AT SHOWS,,,,,,,,but that plan fell to the wayside in Hartford when the 10c ticket cluster f**k took place. Just being disabled in itself is very difficult,,,,,,but being a live music lover, makes life very difficult,,,,,,,,from a wheelchair most of us spend the show looking at Asses and Elbows! There is no real good way to see a show from a disabled person's view.
    The worst part about all of it (the MSG tickets and the Hartford show,,,,,,,,was even after many, many emails and actual LETTERS to the 10C, no apologies, no reasons, no refund, no NOTHING, not even a years membership offered! NOTHING,,,,,,,,,,,now that felt more of a slap in the face than the seating and ticket mess up, from the folks at the 10C.
    Point being point here, if you're a disabled person you pretty much have to just deal with whatever you get, because they are not taking your condition into consideration. We always just try and say "hey, at least we are here,,,,,,(even if Pearl Jam looks like a Flea Circus from where we sit)"
  • Options
    zadars wrote:
    from a wheelchair most of us spend the show looking at Asses and Elbows! There is no real good way to see a show from a disabled person's view.

i've often thought if i was a man i'd most likly be an ass man with all i'm seeing aready. :mrgreen:
    there's an inside venue near me i love. wheelchairs sit on the second floor looking down at stage. i freakin love that venue!
    Point being point here, if you're a disabled person you pretty much have to just deal with whatever you get, because they are not taking your condition into consideration. We always just try and say "hey, at least we are here,,,,,,(even if Pearl Jam looks like a Flea Circus from where we sit)"

i get what you're saying i really do, but i just wanta say lotsa times when i speak out or raise hell it does make a difference. so please don't stop trying.

• Options
    I'm just reading this thread. I guess I should have read the small print, cuz I somehow missed that when joining 10c you were required to purchase two tickets. I joined hoping to bypass Ticketmaster in getting accessible seats. Can't stand TM. They've screwed me over so many times. But I'm on a limited income, too, so getting two tickets at the price they are is hard. I normally go to shows by myself.

So couldn't get them through the club, and when trying the normal way, the handicapped seats that aren't in nosebleed country are gone before you can even try. TM notoriously sells these seats to able bodied people. Happened at Eddie's solo tour. I got my ticket at the box office, and had lost it upon going in. No biggie, I was sat in the wheelchair section. But then some folks showed up-able bodied that is- with print outs from TM with wheelchair seats. I got thrown out of the venue, and they got sat in fold up chairs in that section! I cried!

Eddie's lovely tour manager and the man himself saved the day, but that's another story : )
    I've never seen Pearl Jam, yet. I hope I can get a ticket to one of the SoCal shows, still. But what would really be awesome is to be able to be up close. Just once. I don't care about safety LOL. I want the experience! (And not to have to look at other people's asses the whole show...)
  • Options
    ^ i remember your story! were you the one that ended you meeting ed?

hey i'm disabled and have sat front row. it's do-able.

• Options
    Yep, got to meet Ed : ) Unbelievably nice, and concerned that I was taken care of.
    Wow, front row. I don't even have tickets, yet. I'd better get on the ball and get something somehow. Dreaming of seeing a show from the pit. Is that where you were?
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    bionicamy wrote:
    I have needed assistance and also hate the process that you must go through to purchase accessible seating.
    More often than not if you try to go through the proper steps the show will be sold out before you ever get a chance to purchase the tickets. Best bet is to purchase the tickets and then deal with the venue.
    (Air Canada Center is THE BEST venue to deal with the nicest staff ever!)
    Live Nation does an amazing job to insure your seats are correct before you ever get to the venue. Ticketmaster not so good.
    10c has been wonderful in the past but I will always provide the medical cards I carry whenever I am requesting seats at any venue.
    Most venues the accessible seating is not very good at all especially when everyone else is standing and you are sitting. But I’m not in accessible for the view, I’m there because it’s the safest place for me to be at the venue.

OMG... I know. C3 didn't do a good job either managing those people.... I worked hard on that for 2008, kicking people out of my designated area.

I feel for the people need access to ADA seats (I hate the word "Handicapped")... I have seen it abused so badly, that it really pisses me off that the venue or place is not doing its job to ensure that a person really needs it.

But on the flip side, it wouldn't be fair to ask that person to go to extremes proving that while the "so-called regular" people don't have to when they purchase for regular tickets... but unfortunately to protect ourselves, we should consider going extra so it does not happen to other people who really need them. I do that anyway.

I did that for Lolla 08, but I don't know if it got any better for Lolla 09....I'd be pissed if it didn't because of all my hard work "poof" just for one year - 2008. That wasn't my goal - but to keep it going from there.

ADA was designed for people like blondie and me so we didn't have to "hassle" (I quote because like she said, it's still a hassle) but more really for equal access. It takes me months (if permitted) to prepare the venue and an agency, and all that. A month isn't enough, unfortunately - unless they were the same people all the time.

I'm sorry it didn't work out with 10c....but they can only have what they are given from the venue and by that, it's allocated based on seniority.

ADA seats go out very fast, it's not funny. People think of whatever medical issue they have and use that... sigh.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII