Options

What does this band mean to your significant other?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I gotta give my wife credit though, she traveled to Kitchener, Canada with me as well as to Mexico City. Although, she was working in Mexico at the time and really just wanted me to visit the country. But I think that travel thing is over for her.

She never seems that much into the merch...until we arrive at the show and she always buys something. ;)

Funny thing, when we first started dating, I bought her a tape of TEN. If she didn't like it, who knows where we'd both be today! ;)

see, i think my husband would have LOVEd to travel with me to all the places i've gone to see pj (probably a lot more than to see pj ;))....thing was, he could never get the time off during the tours. that's why, maybe...hawaii might work for us this year. we already have the week planned off, so if the show coincides...off we go! also helps we finally have enough airmiles for the trip. :D he's gone to all the NY shows with me, one in NJ...one in hartford.....DC....and ed in baltimore. i think he's now seen pj 'enough' for him that NY home shows only, or yea....REAL travel, if it can work with his schedule. he gets a ton of vacation, but the way he has to make his picks make spur of the moment travel almost impossible....and/or even just a couple months notice, none too good either. we've lucked out with east coast shows coinciding with our vacation time....and maybe hawaii....we'll see.

and hell, hubby went and bought yield, no code and binaural for me as he owned all the earlier albums....but finished the catalogue up for me (at the time) as i wanted to hear EVERYthing pj had recorded. i think our bank account would be a LOT fatter if not for pj. ;)

as to merch, hubby likes to get a tshirt. that's it. :mrgreen: and he has quite the collection of pj Ts from all over b/c i am sure to pick one up for him every time i travel to shows. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Damn.... I only wish I could meet a woman who loved Pj just half as much as some of the women do on the boards. My ex girlfriend was not a big fan. She went to a show back in 03 in ATL and I was hoping that she would get the sickness,but she didnt. Oh well.....

There needs to be a thread for singles who love Pj
  • Options
    man, there are some real uplifting PJ love stories in this thread. Glad I asked the ? .

It's also made me appreciate my wife's tolerance of my obsession. I wish I had taken her (didn't get tix) to an EV solo show. She would enjoy that style more than the arena rock of the United Center show that I dragged her to back in '98.
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    My hubby thinks they're great too. Although leading up to the MEN he did say I played PJ too much and it was turning into lift music.

We've been together 23 years (married 13), only problem that occurred was when we were in our mid-20's, Ten and Vs were the only albums released so far, then we split up for a while, I got Ten, he got Vs. Fortunately they were reunited about 6 months later and so were we. :D
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    prfctlefts wrote:
    Damn.... I only wish I could meet a woman who loved Pj just half as much as some of the women do on the boards. My ex girlfriend was not a big fan. She went to a show back in 03 in ATL and I was hoping that she would get the sickness,but she didnt. Oh well.....

Hello, stranger ;)
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    Lauri wrote:
    my girlfriend hates that i have this obsession that she cannot identify with... i would love for her to share going on pearl jam tour w me but she doesnt get why i have the drive to see them 10+ times on any given tour.

plus...at the moment she really is expecting an engagement ring... so right now she sees pearl jam as an obstacle...

...she's already threatened me...if i cheat on her she is destroying my entire...huge...rare...uber expensively priceless pj collection... i guess its lucky for me that i usually buy...burn...pilfer doubles or triples of everything they have ever put out...all in retirement in safe, secure location away from her..... 8-)

Uh...hopefully all three of these paragraphs are jokes.

um...actually no... not at all... this is my life...why?

uhh...because that sounds...really...bad...the whole "expecting engagement ring" and Pearl Jam being an obstacle...what selfish BS! I hate girls who give us all bad names! If you want a ring so badly, you should just buy one yourself!
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    prfctlefts wrote:

Haha I was just about to say that there needs to be a parallel thread for singles.

Honestly, at this point I think if someone you know isn't into Pearl Jam, they're not really going to be. I mean they've been around for 18 years, most of the people on this board (and I'm presuming their partners) were in their teens and 20s when they were hugely popular...they know they're there, they've heard the music...and even if you were to try to convert someone from scratch, how would you go about it? Seems like an impossible task. What record would you start with? Would you start with live shows or the records? How do you ease them into the B sides? How do you explain the evolution of the band? Eh, I don't think I'd bother.
  • Options
    PJfanPAPJfanPA Posts: 130
    My wife is going to 3 of the 4 Philly shows with me! The only reason she isn't going to the the fourth is because some one has to take the kids trick or treating!
    09/02/00 04/28/03 07/05/03 07/06/03 07/12/03 10/01/04 10/03/05 05/13/06 05/27/06 05/28/06 06/01/06 06/03/06
  • Options
    I'm lucky that my girlfriend's favorite band is Pearl Jam. In fact, she's been in the Ten Club longer than I have.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,640
    My husband doesn't like PJ. Whenever I play their music at home or in the car he does this lame imitation of Ed that sounds sorta like Elvis on quaaludes.
    I think it's because he's jealous. I mean these are the only other men in my life that I care about (almost) as much as him.
    But... we've worked it out after much give & take. I travel to shows solo or with my tour bff., & he gets a camping trip or weekend w/the guys in the mountains or whatever, for each time I jet off to see the band.

It's been working out alot better for us since he gave up trying to rationalize my passion for this band, and just accepted that I'm crazy. :lol:
  • Options
    My husband enjoys them at times but gets sick of my everyday obsession. He couldnt care less when I give him all of the updates and news when it comes out. Montreal 2005 was his first show though and he loved it, he even disappeared to "go to the bathroom" and came back with more stickers and tshirts! He saw part of SVT and said that is awesome, they are all just normal guys. He really enjoyed the Ed solo show in LA. He will go to some concerts with me but definitely does not feel the need to go to every one which is nice because I can go with my best friend without worrying about offending him. I am going to Seattle alone, he told me he didnt care if I went as long as I dont make him :) - he definitely does not get the back to back shows, doesnt get the different setlists. At least is isnt as expensive for me because hes not into getting every tshirt that comes out but he does have a few that he wears regularly.
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Options
    my wife goes to every show with me- when we started dating years ago she hadnt listened to the boys in years, didnt realize they were still going. now shes a huge fan again. i couldn't be more lucky.
  • Options
    Lauri wrote:
    my girlfriend hates that i have this obsession that she cannot identify with... i would love for her to share going on pearl jam tour w me but she doesnt get why i have the drive to see them 10+ times on any given tour.

plus...at the moment she really is expecting an engagement ring... so right now she sees pearl jam as an obstacle...

...she's already threatened me...if i cheat on her she is destroying my entire...huge...rare...uber expensively priceless pj collection... i guess its lucky for me that i usually buy...burn...pilfer doubles or triples of everything they have ever put out...all in retirement in safe, secure location away from her..... 8-)

Uh...hopefully all three of these paragraphs are jokes.

um...actually no... not at all... this is my life...why?

uhh...because that sounds...really...bad...the whole "expecting engagement ring" and Pearl Jam being an obstacle...what selfish BS! I hate girls who give us all bad names! If you want a ring so badly, you should just buy one yourself!

well maybe the way i wrote that came out the wrong way...totally...she wants an engagement ring, and we speak about taking that next step a lot... with the economy, its tough... and she is just getting out of college and still looking for a job...and i told her that in order to survive in getting a place together and taking that next step into planning a wedding we both need to save together... so yeah, in a sense, pearl jam tour kinda gets in the way of that... its actually me who is being selfish...but i just cannot let go of that part of my life that still allows me to see pearl jam several times per tour...because, well thats me...so thats a big reason why she dislikes my obsession with them
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    My husband is the best! He is my enabler.

- When we were engaged somehow I convinced him we should elope between the 2 Hawaii shows.
    - At Virgin Fest in Calgary this year he ran down the hill when the gates opened to secure a spot for us so I could experience my first amazing front row experience.
    - He buys in to my "there will always be debt there won't always be Pearl Jam" theory and we travelled to Toronto and Chicago this summer. Plus I am sure we are still paying for all of the other shows we travelled to since 05.

He's always been a fan but not like me. Fortunately he becomes a bigger fan each show we go to.

I have one more show this year and that's Vancouver. I'm so sad that he can't make it. It wont be the same without him. If there's a Hawaii show in December perhaps I can try to push my luck.
  • Options
    My fiance (co-worker/awesome friend at the time) knew I loved Pearl Jam more than any other band out there, but she was only familiar with the radio stuff around the time Rearviewmirror released in 2004. After never owning an album from the band she bought the best of compilation so that we would be able to talk about their music, among other things. Before we started dating, we'd chat on instant message until nearly dawn while I'd send over b-sides and rarities through aim file transfer. 5 years later I can safely say we share a love of the music and the stories behind the songs.

Some of her favorite songs include but are not limited to You Are, Love Boat Captain, State of Love and Trust, Otherside, Fatal. We weren't able to see the guys play together until the Chicago shows this year (hey play the south!) and we had an amazing time. The people of Chicago are all together something special, and you have a great city to share with the entire world! We also drove up to Nashville for Ed's solo show (night one) and that was ethereal.
  • Options
    My wife doesn't like Pearl Jam at all. She prefers shit like Lady GaGa and Flo Rida and whatever other Top Ten crap is being force fed to 12 year old girls these days. That and the fact that she is turning into her mom are just two of the many reasons I cannot wait for our divorce to get finalized.
  • Options
    chrisg72chrisg72 South Jersey Posts: 112
    During my first conversation with my husband I asked him if he liked pj. My previous boyfriend did not and honestly we went in different directions with our lives so it was important to me to find someone who "got it" and liked a variety of music like myself. Of course after he said yes, he accompanied me to many pj shows and i realized he doesn't like them like me but he tries :?
    9.28.96 - 9.29.96 - 9.1.00 - 6.3.06 - 6.24.08 - 6.25.08 - EV 8.7.08 - 10.30.09 - 5.20.10 - 5.21.10 - 9.11.11
  • Options
    I am totally gonna see if my husband is down with me getting a Pearl Jam boyfriend.
    :lol:
  • Options
    I am totally gonna see if my husband is down with me getting a Pearl Jam boyfriend.

feel free to pm me if he says it's cool.
  • Options
    RascalKing wrote:
    My wife doesn't like Pearl Jam at all. She prefers shit like Lady GaGa and Flo Rida and whatever other Top Ten crap is being force fed to 12 year old girls these days. That and the fact that she is turning into her mom are just two of the many reasons I cannot wait for our divorce to get finalized.

i don't mean to get joy at a possibly delicate situation, but holy shit that's a funny post. i once broke up with a girl because she liked country music. i just couldn't get past it....
  • Options
    To the original poster, I'd like to see your ugly wife but I don't wanna throw up in my own mouth. HAHAHA (completely kidding)
  • Options
    Dark Star wrote:
    To the original poster, I'd like to see your ugly wife but I don't wanna throw up in my own mouth. HAHAHA (completely kidding)

Kat&Sea: I know the board guidelines but he had it coming....
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    The wifey loves 'em to pieces...
    Been in the 10 Club for over 10 yrs...
    2 of our 3 children were in utero at PJ gigs...
    When we moved she framed 9 of "our" PJ posters...
    Proudly drives the kid/grocery hauler with Stickman proudly planted on the back window...
    "Took one for the team" by using "our" 10C seats at Boston, MSG & Hartford last year, when I couldn't go back East...
    Can be found with a McCready pick T, tour T, EV solo tour T running through the 'hood...
    Her entire iPod is Pearl Jam...
    Is willing to drive 6 hrs to San Diego in Oct to "funk out with our junk out" :lol:
    Yeah, this band means EVERYTHING to my significant other...
    And I adore her that much more because of it ;)
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    Dark Star wrote:

feel free to pm me if he says it's cool.

First off, I want to know what your 10c member number is. :D
  • Options
    haha, good one :D
  • Options
    csickels wrote:
    As a companion thread to the one about what does it mean to you, for those of you who are not lonely pathetic losers and were able, at least up to this point, to convince another human being to share life with you, what is your SO's take on Pearl Jam?

My wife, who I've been with for 15 years, is amazing in most every way, is a great mom to my kids, yada yada yada. One glaring flaw is that she isn't really a fan of PJ. Yes, she likes Elderly Woman and Betterman and the like, but she told me on a recent roadtrip that PJ's hard rockin' songs just give her a headache. Of course, I pulled the car over and made her walk home. (kidding)

This causes me stress b/c I think she's a smart woman, but I might have to leave her if she doesn't learn to appreciate the band more. (kidding again)

Let's hear from others - again, not you lonely loser types - do you have a relationship full of mutual PJ love, or is your situation like mine?
    I took my S.O. to see Pearl Jam in 2003 &2006 here in Cleveland, as a result of this I have been to Chicago to see Ed and am travelling to Philly for the 31st. She wanted to go!!! :mrgreen:
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,305
    I met my significant other when I was travelling in Australia in 2006. I'd arranged to meet up with a friend of a friend from back home (UK) and she was part of the group of friends that I met that day. After the usual getting-to-know-you chit chat (and the novelty of a foreigner in their midst!) had worn off we started talking about music. As soon as she mentioned her love of Pearl Jam, STP and Soundgarden I knew we had a lot in common.
    We got together a few months later and when I came back to the UK at the end of 07, she moved here with me. We saw our first PJ shows together last year when I took her on a holiday to New York for a week that included both MSG shows. We got engaged in January and we're getting married in Hawaii next year!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for putting my current situation in perspective with that "lonely pathetic losers" comment.
  • Options
    Not a damn thing....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....