Options

Ed quote from 2005 - Target related

2»

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Newsflash: They were always running a business. They're just more upfront about it now.

If you can have "corporate sponsors" without sacrificing the music, then why not?

I don't think they'd be destitute without them. But I'm not sure they'd be able to live the lives they want or are accustomed to.
    Ahem, the band has always been anti-corporate, number one. Yeah, they had Sony, but the minute they get rid of them, in walks a new corporate sponsor: Target. Contradictory, eh?

It's the opposite of contradictory, actually. You just said it yourself. They've been in bed with a corporation from the beginning. So why should now be any different?

People grow up. Things that seem so goddamned important when you're 20 just don't carry the same weight when you're 45. At some point, you just want to do what you do, without making everything such a fucking hassle.

I don't know if you've noticed, but they've also been using Ticketmaster for the past 10 years or so, too.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102

from what I've read & heard..and having known 2 people who worked there...pretty much how i/we know about Wal-Mart...it's safe to say i know what I'm talking about.

here's a good little example for you i just found

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain ... 77194.html

and i don't shop at wal-mart or target...but I'm sure i own something made by slaves in China or India...and it fucking kills me inside that our dumb ass population is so fucking apathetic and ignorant that they stood by and watched our country be gutted and parceled off without even a whimper...funny thing is, every American should feel like that..but they don't even know enough to get angry.

I know enough to roll my eyes at a loony extremist.

I know enough to laugh at angry people that ironically yell "ignorance" at every turn. (figure out why I say ironically)

Your "sources" are two guys that work retail. What percentage of people that work in retail love their jobs? Of course they are going to bitch about their "unfair" jobs. They hate their jobs by definition. Come a little stronger then that.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    PJ music will continue to be and has been the backdrop to my life memories, been the source for countless eye-opening bits of real world knowledge, it's entertained me while I paint, play sports and drink beers....I could go on- point being if a partnership with Target on PJs negotiated terms gets the music into the ears of others, people like my nieces and nephews in their teens then I see a great benefit here. If listening to the music helps them dive into other great bands, learn about the situations we are facing our world today in and act as aware world citizens then get the music into the hands of the masses (just don't edit the words as another large superstore has). I can only gift so many copies...
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Newsflash: They were always running a business. They're just more upfront about it now.

If you can have "corporate sponsors" without sacrificing the music, then why not?

I don't think they'd be destitute without them. But I'm not sure they'd be able to live the lives they want or are accustomed to.
    Ahem, the band has always been anti-corporate, number one. Yeah, they had Sony, but the minute they get rid of them, in walks a new corporate sponsor: Target. Contradictory, eh?

It's the opposite of contradictory, actually. You just said it yourself. They've been in bed with a corporation from the beginning. So why should now be any different?

People grow up. Things that seem so goddamned important when you're 20 just don't carry the same weight when you're 45. At some point, you just want to do what you do, without making everything such a fucking hassle.

I don't know if you've noticed, but they've also been using Ticketmaster for the past 10 years or so, too.
    It is contradictory if the band claims that they're against corporatism and favor the small guy yet is the product of one. And let me guess, your idea of growing up is making more money and buying more crap at Walmart, which I know you like to do.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    I don't care if Pearl Jam ties in with Target. I hope there's a skit on SNL where the Target lady makes a joke about a customer buying a Pearl Jam cd. I didn't get upset when a certain someone hooked up with a model AFTER the Satan's Bed lyrics were locked in my head because I know that in real life love has nothing to do with "principles" or ideals. I don't care that Yellow Ledbetter played at the end of Friends. I care about the music, the shows, and the good times I've had over the past 17+ years as a fan and Ten Club member. I DO care that a man was murdered in his church by a domestic terrorist. I care that my mom can barely survive on Social Security after working her ass off most of her life. I care that there is real greed (Dick Cheney) and real suffering (The Congo, Darfur, I could go on)in this world. Get over it, people.

Took the words out of my mouth. Amen.

There's more to life than applying bullshit principles when theyre not realistic.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    theres just far too many fucking idiots around with this sell out attitude.

So what, pearl jam use a sponsor. So fucking what.

Do you like the music? I do. Thats enough for me. I like the fact the band make money, I wouldnt come to work unless i did.

and if they take money off a big sponsor and that means they can get the record out for a better price to us, or provide tickets to us less than they otherwise would have been, they get my applause.

Maybe i am ignorant to the US economy and the amercian love of chinese child labour, but to be fair I'm not entirely sure Pearl Jam can change that
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    It is contradictory if the band claims that they're against corporatism and favor the small guy yet is the product of one. And let me guess, your idea of growing up is making more money and buying more crap at Walmart, which I know you like to do.

It's tough to be against corporatism ... and still work for Sony. Just sayin'.

I think you might be misinterpreting "Green Disease" -- "I guess there's nothing wrong with what you say" -- as in, make your money, so long as you aren't hurting anyone.

As far as I can tell, Pearl Jam isn't hurting anyone with this Target deal. In fact, they went out of their way to make sure the "little guy" -- ie, the independent record store owners -- still get a cut.

That's the problem with idealists. They aren't realistic. They don't live in the real world. And they are far too rigid.
  • Options
    When we decided we were going to release this record ourselves in America,” Curtis says, “we removed that whole layer of the record company. And by the way, [the record company is] a bigger frickin’ corporation than Target is. They owned our music and owned our masters. Now we own everything, and control everything, and we’re choosing who we want to be partners with. Who will allow us the freedom to pick the kind of people we want to work with? Target was the only one out of all those [big chain] guys that was forward-enough thinking to allow us to think outside the box.”
  • Options
    little league, stay at home dad, 40 hours aweek at night, soccer, boat, school bus, crazy wife, gymnastics, golf, drinking to much, pearl jam, trying to survive another day, a dying father
    I'LL LET YOU PEOPLE FIGURE ALL THE BULLSHIT OUT!!!!!!!! I'M JUST HAPPY TO HAVE SOME NEW PEARL JAM TO HELP THROUGH THIS FUCKING EXISTANCE
  • Options
    breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    When we decided we were going to release this record ourselves in America,” Curtis says, “we removed that whole layer of the record company. And by the way, [the record company is] a bigger frickin’ corporation than Target is. They owned our music and owned our masters. Now we own everything, and control everything, and we’re choosing who we want to be partners with. Who will allow us the freedom to pick the kind of people we want to work with? Target was the only one out of all those [big chain] guys that was forward-enough thinking to allow us to think outside the box.”

yep, they're real corportewhores all right :roll:
  • Options
    quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208

That's the problem with idealists. They aren't realistic. They don't live in the real world. And they are far too rigid.

i think even if our ideals are impossible to attain, there is still value in trying. i agree that in a sense we always have to negotiate between our ideals and what's practical or possible... not all idealists are dogmatic.

but i don't think surrender has any value at all... better to work towards our ideals then lay down and get run over.
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i saw mike shopping at Target once.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Jesus.

Well, I'm happy for new PJ, and I shop at Target :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:

I know enough to laugh at angry people that ironically yell "ignorance" at every turn. (figure out why I say ironically)

Your "sources" are two guys that work retail. What percentage of people that work in retail love their jobs? Of course they are going to bitch about their "unfair" jobs. They hate their jobs by definition. Come a little stronger then that.

clueless.jpg
    trashtime.jpg
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    PJBuckeye wrote:

clueless.jpg
    trashtime.jpg

Wow, I get two pictues. And a punk avatar. Yeah, ANARCHY and NONCONFORMITY, MAN!!!! I shared these opinions when I was 14 and held alot of pain and anger. Then I realized I was young and naive. I grew up and matured. Or as you call it, conformed. I'm a lot happier now. Now, I can even shop for great values at Walmart and then when I get really extravagent I shop at Target. Geez, why am I so apathetic to these big, evil, corporate machines?
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,169
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    Sony doesn't employ thousands of American workers and then provide a substandard wage and working environment thus continuing the wal-martization of the American work place and economy...also Sony isn't selling Chinese slave labor produced goods that have replaced American manufactured goods when your politicians, catering to corporations like Target, sold us out with NAFTA & GATT!!!!

is it starting to sink in now or should i continue?

Once again, Crazy Breed is paranoid of something larger and more sucessful than him. Big Surprise.

once again your ignorance leads you to a false assumption.

head_in_sand.jpg

time to come up for air??
    :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    Sony doesn't employ thousands of American workers and then provide a substandard wage and working environment thus continuing the wal-martization of the American work place and economy...also Sony isn't selling Chinese slave labor produced goods that have replaced American manufactured goods when your politicians, catering to corporations like Target, sold us out with NAFTA & GATT!!!!

Without reading through pages and pages....

is this a serious post??

Sony isnt selling slave labor produced goods?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    touringfan wrote:
    This was a quote from 05 but it sums up the Target situation nicely. I for one agree with him 100% and don't fault them one bit for "mixing it up" a bit. For those crying about the Target thing read this and see where the band is coming from before you get all worked up over something so Inconsequential.

"Vedder: "What's happening is that this is the level of mainstream. If you're going to participate in the mainstream or compete with the amount of stuff that's out there, the bar gets raised. Now, it's not even about getting your video played. It's actually about getting a commercial when the record comes out."

Vedder: "I would rather that loads of people - including young women - heard your song through an iPod commercial, and then bought your record and be changed and affected by it - which they would be - as opposed to, say, a reality show."

But he's talking about Sleater-Kinney on those quotes. I don't think you can really apply that to PJ

:?:

Pearl Jam is doing this... commercial? How can you not apply this, they are doing it...
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

Without reading through pages and pages....

is this a serious post??

Sony isnt selling slave labor produced goods?

Yo man those factory workers making CDs roll with phat wads in their pockets yo! :roll: