Options

September Weight Loss Challenge

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to all.

My advice: don't do fad diets...develop a healthy diet you can stick with for life. Limit the trans fat & refined carbs as much as possible. And EXERCISE.

::thumbs up:: for making the effort
  • Options
    ok, my bmi is 22.6.
    my goal: lose 10 lbs by the middle of october
  • Options
    i weigh around ten and a half stone. im 5'2 so any excess is too much...

doing well so far, went to the gym on thurs and did a full cardio workout.

went on walk today, it IS sunday...

Tip:

Drink a herbal tea like strawberry and vanilla when you get a sweet food craving.

btw, anyone else notice the impossibility of dieting when ur period is due??
  • Options
    btw, anyone else notice the impossibility of dieting when ur period is due??

lol, I gain about 5 lbs. every month because of that reason exactly!
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    A great website to use is http://www.sparkpeople.com

You can track what you eat and it gives you an exercise program. It can also be tailored to either losing weight or just getting fit.
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Mkay, I weigh 174. I would like to weigh 170 by the end of September.

For reals, it will be difficult, because I'm going to New York for four days, and I plan on eating nothing but cheesecake. Yum. :)
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    weight means nothing for me. :S

I am gonna focus on "inches."

those pilates videos on youtube have been GREAT. only 10 mins each. I think I have been getting looks too (:rolleyes: really).

good luck everyone!!! :)

great thread.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I'm in. I'm going to Australia next week and I'll probably be doing nothing but eating out but I'm going to try!!! Hopefully I'll walk a lot....

I started an office job about 6 years ago and have gained about 22 pounds over the 6 years! I need to curb it now! so starting.....148(eek!) I want to lose about 15. I wish by the end of the year!

I try to go to the gym 3 days a week, kickboxing...but I don't always make it and I love sweets. LOVE 'em!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    Um...the Kilo is metric.

Um, yeah, I know, I threw that in in case anyone wanted to do a conversion.

HOw's it going everyone ??

Weight control is a great thing. MY father had sever heart diseae at age 50 and a 5 graft bypass operation by 55, so I'm majorly gung-ho on CV risk control.

Anyone want any advice, just ask, it's what I do for a living.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    Um, yeah, I know, I threw that in in case anyone wanted to do a conversion.

HOw's it going everyone ??

Weight control is a great thing. MY father had sever heart diseae at age 50 and a 5 graft bypass operation by 55, so I'm majorly gung-ho on CV risk control.

Anyone want any advice, just ask, it's what I do for a living.

you lose weight for a living? ;)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Hope to hit 150 by Halloween.
    That's two things we've got, Tape and Time.
  • Options
    you lose weight for a living? ;)

No, I'm a general practitioner, and I give lots of advice about weight loss, diet and exercise as part of that. I control my own weight so I don't wind up a premature death statistic form ischaemic heart disease like my father did.
  • Options
    No, I'm a general practitioner, and I give lots of advice about weight loss, diet and exercise as part of that. I control my own weight so I don't wind up a premature death statistic form ischaemic heart disease like my father did.

Yeah that wasn't a serious post on my end, but I admire your work and respect your reasoning...and thanks for being a sage here in the quest to get healthier!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    about the interval training. I take my Ipod everywhere and I have songs I like to dance too. so when they start playing I start dancing. I do it atleast 10 times a day which is at least 40 mins of cardio and Its FUN! If you don't feel like dancing in public, do it at home.
    That's two things we've got, Tape and Time.
  • Options
    sicnevol wrote:
    about the interval training. I take my Ipod everywhere and I have songs I like to dance too. so when they start playing I start dancing. I do it atleast 10 times a day which is at least 40 mins of cardio and Its FUN! If you don't feel like dancing in public, do it at home.

There was a good study recent;ly that showed that short burstes of intense exercise caused much more weight loss than a single proplonged session.
    Playing drums is good too. Did you ever see a fat drummer ??
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    I'm up to the challenge...gotta lose a crapload of tonnage for my Dec trip to Hawai'i...like 60 pounds by Christmas...is that even possible? I gotta start walking everyday at work...and maybe some yogging, too.... Can't post on Sept 1 as I will be whooping it up in Seattle!! Yay...will post when I get back.. Cheers, everyone -- and good luck!

A pound a day is done often.
    Good healthy foods.
    No sodas, no white foods - flour/sugar/rice/noodles.
    Eat whole grains, wraps vs breads.
    I did this, still do.
    Bike, walk, ect.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    i guess i will do this too. :) i really need to tone up and i want to lose 5 or 6 pounds.

starting weight: 116 , and i want to be down to 114 by the 8th.
    ur crazy and we've been thru this...U DO NOT NEED TO LOSE ANY WEIGHT!!!!
    U MAKE ME CRAZY!! ;)
    sorry u know I freak out when u obsess over this:)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    There was a good study recent;ly that showed that short burstes of intense exercise caused much more weight loss than a single proplonged session.

yea a friend of mine told me this is what he studied up on
    and now does his work out this way.
    short lil bursts of intense exercise, then slow down, repeat several times. cardiovascular and stuff.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    i guess i will do this too. :) i really need to tone up and i want to lose 5 or 6 pounds.

starting weight: 116 , and i want to be down to 114 by the 8th.

Um, for starters, um no.
    Don't be silly.
    Unless you are like 2-3 ft tall, then yea, go ahead.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    Um, for starters, um no.
    Don't be silly.
    Unless you are like 2-3 ft tall, then yea, go ahead.
    she's like 5'2"....she never listens to me. there is no way she needs to lose weight. thanks for backing me up :) (Oh I'm her cousin...just to let u know)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    I need to lose 30 pounds. I am under a lot of stress at work and eat mindlessly sometimes. My goal is to lose about 2 pounds a week.
  • Options
    she's like 5'2"....she never listens to me. there is no way she needs to lose weight. thanks for backing me up :) (Oh I'm her cousin...just to let u know)

I don't know her at all, but if she's 5'2", I would think 110 would be the ideal weight for her. She probably just needs some motivation to get into an exercise routine and this is the only thread in that area.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    Rapunzel64 wrote:
    I need to lose 30 pounds. I am under a lot of stress at work and eat mindlessly sometimes. My goal is to lose about 2 pounds a week.

That can be quite easily done.
    Mind-set, proper foods, water, water, water,
    and simple exercise.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I start off at 173.8.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361

my brother started sprinting short distances/bursts, would walk, then all out sprint...over and over again.

now it wasn't neccassarily a lot of weight that he lost, but he did lose a lot of fat and his calves got big.

he said he never understood why so many people feel the need to jog for such long distances unless they are training for a marathon....i don't get it either.

now something that helped me at the gym was running a lap in between sets of all my workouts. there's no reason to just sit there and do nothing. keep the heart rate up.

this should be fun

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Yeah this is known as HIIT (high intensity interval training). Sounds good HOWEVER, if we're talking cardio, what ultimately matters is the number of total calories you burn, not how intense the exercise is. And typically, people will burn more calories doing 40-50 minutes on a bike going at a steady, moderate pace than they'll burn doing 10-15 minutes of HIIT. HIIT jacks your heart rate way up so you do burn some extra calories for a long time after you do it, but not that much where it will make a huge difference.

IMO, unless you're like 11% body fat or lower, you don't need to do HIIT to lose fat. These "short bursts", by the way, are usually a full minute. Believe me, it feels like forever when you actually do it. Most people would be better off only lifting weights for fat loss. Cardio isn't all that it's cracked up to be :)
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Saturnal wrote:
    HOWEVER, if we're talking cardio, what ultimately matters is the number of total calories you burn, not how intense the exercise is.

I do an hour on the treadmill on the hills setting at a medium pace, (for all the Adam Sandler fans). Anyways, at the end of the hour I've burned anywhere from 1200-1300 calories if I am to believe the treadmill. I do know that I am sweating like a pig when all is done! Haven't tried the HITT yet but may do it along with my hour, but not in place of.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I do an hour on the treadmill on the hills setting at a medium pace, (for all the Adam Sandler fans). Anyways, at the end of the hour I've burned anywhere from 1200-1300 calories if I am to believe the treadmill. I do know that I am sweating like a pig when all is done! Haven't tried the HITT yet but may do it along with my hour, but not in place of.
    I think an hour is about the longest you wanna go. After that, you run the risk of burning muscle along with fat, not to mention you risk injury/over-training.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Saturnal wrote:
    I think an hour is about the longest you wanna go. After that, you run the risk of burning muscle along with fat, not to mention you risk injury/over-training.

10 years ago when I hit the gym for the first time I would do intensive cardio for 2-2.5 hours! I keep it now to and hour 4 times a week. I do miss the fast results that I had when I did 2+ hours, but don't want to overdo it!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    Tré Cool, but you are right about drumming.

Anyway, my aforementioned boozy festival weekend has come to a close, so I'm ready to start this. The excess of the festival wasn't as excessive as I thought it would be, so I'm not all that worse off. Awesome time though :)

Good luck everyone.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me