After seeing Into the Wild will anyone pull a Chris Mccandless?

Comments

• seriously?
    me, i'd rather live past the age of 30. how old was he? 23 - 24? no thanks. i say this as someone turning 39 in less than a month, i FAr prefer having my LIFe, than a movie made about me, nor a soundtrack by ed. i am not saying anything negative about chris, but yea...i think even HE would probably prefer being alive. besides, when i am dead...i am dead...so how would i know or care that a movie/book/soundtrack ws made based on my life?

seriously. i'm not saying i would do it either but there's something cool about having your life-your story- live on for eternity. the same way writers live on through their words and musicians live on through their music, etc. yeah they're dead but their stories live on and influence people for centuries after they're gone. is it so much worse to die while living out your dream or to live a long life filled with regret? of course it's best to live your dream and live a long life to tell about it and that's what chris would have done if it weren't for a couple crucial mistakes.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    seriously. i'm not saying i would do it either but there's something cool about having your life-your story- live on for eternity. the same way writers live on through their words and musicians live on through their music, etc. yeah they're dead but their stories live on and influence people for centuries after they're gone. is it so much worse to die while living out your dream or to live a long life filled with regret? of course it's best to live your dream and live a long life to tell about it and that's what chris would have done if it weren't for a couple crucial mistakes.

sure it is.
    i was only pointing out that in chris's case, the ONLY reason it was done, was b/c he died so tragially at such a young age. i'd far rather be famous for something else, if at all. but if my choice is die young and be famous for all eternity...or get to live my life to the fullest and for a much longer time...i'd choose LIFE. that's all.

btw - the 'choices' you offer aren't the only ones. be famous and die young living your dream.......or living long with regret. it's possible to have it ALL, or any mixture of the like, and other choices in there too. just saying that in the case of chris, given THAT choice....no thanks. i want to live my dream AND live for awhile too. and i also think chris would've like that too rather than being simply famous. also, if you are not of the belief that their is an afterlife, or that you would *know* what gos on in this world after death...well then, still...you'd have NO IDEA that your story lived on, especially in this case. it's not like he was already a writer or musician, etc. and we won't know until we're dead as well, so yea....not knowing that, i still rather live.:p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I would give myself a one-year time frame/test. I would get myself flown in by a bush pilot so I could carry in a bit more gear and into a place even more remote than McCandless was.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • sure it is.
    i was only pointing out that in chris's case, the ONLY reason it was done, was b/c he died so tragially at such a young age. i'd far rather be famous for something else, if at all. but if my choice is die young and be famous for all eternity...or get to live my life to the fullest and for a much longer time...i'd choose LIFE. that's all.

btw - the 'choices' you offer aren't the only ones. be famous and die young living your dream.......or living long with regret. it's possible to have it ALL, or any mixture of the like, and other choices in there too. just saying that in the case of chris, given THAT choice....no thanks. i want to live my dream AND live for awhile too. and i also think chris would've like that too rather than being simply famous. also, if you are not of the belief that their is an afterlife, or that you would *know* what gos on in this world after death...well then, still...you'd have NO IDEA that your story lived on, especially in this case. it's not like he was already a writer or musician, etc. and we won't know until we're dead as well, so yea....not knowing that, i still rather live.:p

good points. i see what you're saying. to me, there's just something admirable about taking a chance and living your dream. as crazy as it might seem to us it's what he wanted to do and he did it. who can fault him for that. it's a damn shame that he died. he was a smart and generous kid with lots of things going for him. he made a huge impact on the people he briefly crossed paths with. his written goodbye to the world says it all to me: I have had a happy life and thank the Lord. Goodbye and may God bless all.
    I think a lot of people are forgetting American history when they read this story. Think of all the pioneers that moved westward during the 18th and 19th centuries and how they had to sustain themselves in just the same way McCandless did. Think of the Alaska gold rush and all the prospectors that laid stake to a claim in places where they had to build little shanties for themselves and live off the land....
    I guess what might make this story remarkable is that McCandless did die.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,139
    gue_barium wrote:
    I would give myself a one-year time frame/test. I would get myself flown in by a bush pilot so I could carry in a bit more gear and into a place even more remote than McCandless was.

Just don't forget to book the pilot to pick you up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_McCunn
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    gue_barium wrote:
    I think a lot of people are forgetting American history when they read this story. Think of all the pioneers that moved westward during the 18th and 19th centuries and how they had to sustain themselves in just the same way McCandless did. Think of the Alaska gold rush and all the prospectors that laid stake to a claim in places where they had to build little shanties for themselves and live off the land....

Ummmmmmmmm....those "pioneers"as you call them were not alone, the Indians showed them how to survive and live...most of the time. After finding their footing on the landscape, they "thanked" the Indians in their own "special" way.

McCandless never had any "Indians"to help him out because
    A) They remembered what happened last time they helped out a few white folks
    and
    B) Most of them were not allowed to leave the reservation.

edit: thats my one nehiyaw rant for the day.
    :)
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
    Ummmmmmmmm....those "pioneers"as you call them were not alone, the Indians showed them how to survive and live...most of the time. After finding their footing on the landscape, they "thanked" the Indians in their own "special" way.

McCandless never had any "Indians"to help him out because
    A) They remembered what happened last time they helped out a few white folks
    and
    B) Most of them were not allowed to leave the reservation.

edit: thats my one nehiyaw rant for the day.
    :)
    I dunno man, it sounds to me like you're saying that those white folks from the past were inherently ignorant to the ways of the land and I have to disagree.

I know you're trying to be funny, though.

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Is something like that "legal"?

Would one be allowed to grab a backpack, hike off in to the "woods" somewhere remote, build a shelter (or find an old bus), and "live off the land"?

Is there still land not "owned" by anyone, or any government?
    sennin wrote:

Would one be allowed to grab a backpack, hike off in to the "woods" somewhere remote, build a shelter (or find an old bus), and "live off the land"?

You've got to live by your wits... and that may include avoiding those (people and/or places) who would object to you being someplace that you may not be wanted.

gue_barium wrote:
    You've got to live by your wits... and that may include avoiding those (people and/or places) who would object to you being someplace that you may not be wanted.

Anyone ever read "The Last Season"?
    sennin wrote:

Wait a second. I just realized you're from Seattle. You've got that immense wilderness known as the Cascades in your back yard. Are you telling me you don't think you could manage to hide out in someplace like that?

sennin wrote:
    Anyone ever read "The Last Season"?

Nope. Not I.

gue_barium wrote:
    Wait a second. I just realized you're from Seattle. You've got that immense wilderness known as the Cascades in your back yard. Are you telling me you don't think you could manage to hide out in someplace like that?

Being that it is the Seattle area....hiking/backpacking/camping is very popular. There aren't many places that don't eventually get treked by numerous people. There are a few places that I'm sure you could go....but they are very remote and would be tough to live, especially the winter months. The Cascade Mountain Range has very harsh witers....and is home to the top 2 World Record annual snow falls in recorded history (of the world).

I'm sure I could get lost for a while, but back country rangers would catch on I think.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    sennin wrote:
    Being that it is the Seattle area....hiking/backpacking/camping is very popular. There aren't many places that don't eventually get treked by numerous people. There are a few places that I'm sure you could go....but they are very remote and would be tough to live, especially the winter months. The Cascade Mountain Range has very harsh witers....and is home to the top 2 World Record annual snow falls in recorded history (of the world).

I'm sure I could get lost for a while, but back country rangers would catch on I think.

well for that matter, even chris mccandless in his true 'into the wild' spot....was found, a mere 2 weeks after his death, by moosehunters. talk about bad timing. so yes, i do agree....there really isn't too many, if ANY, spots left on this earth that have not been traversed. the only tragic part for chris was how often and when.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

gue_barium wrote:
    Nope. Not I.

It's about a back country ranger, who specialized in search and rescue. He was considered amongst the best at finding people in the world. His job was to live in remote back country for 3 months at a time, patroling the Kings Canyon backcountry. He was getting a little "disgruntled" at the state of world....and was in the midst of a divorce. One day he disappeared while on patrol, never to be seen again, even after a massive search and recue effort. People wonder if he wanted to dissapear and not be found.
    sennin wrote:
    It's about a back country ranger, who specialized in search and rescue. He was considered amongst the best at finding people in the world. His job was to live in remote back country for 3 months at a time, patroling the Kings Canyon backcountry. He was getting a little "disgruntled" at the state of world....and was in the midst of a divorce. One day he disappeared while on patrol, never to be seen again, even after a massive search and recue effort. People wonder if he wanted to dissapear and not be found.

Sounds interesting.

gue_barium wrote:
    Sounds interesting.

It's a true story too.
    sennin wrote:

Maybe, but only if you're in the National Park boundaries. There's thousands of acres of National Forest that isn't patroled by rangers outside of national park boundaries. For most intents and purposes National Forest land is public land free and clear for hiking and camping whenever or wherever.

well for that matter, even chris mccandless in his true 'into the wild' spot....was found, a mere 2 weeks after his death, by moosehunters. talk about bad timing. so yes, i do agree....there really isn't too many, if ANY, spots left on this earth that have not been traversed. the only tragic part for chris was how often and when.

There has to be some undiscovered areas.....but don't think there are many.

I haven't seen the movie or read the book.....yet. BUT....Babs is coming over tomorrow and she's going to see it with Lisa and I on Thursday!

I'd like to read the book sometime too.
  • gue_barium wrote:

Not really.
    The pioneers who moved westward would've taken their bank account with them (although the Mormon pioneers would have given 10% to the church), and they didn't need to burn their last remaining cash to prove that they could sustain themselves. They DID prevail. And if they didn't bring their families with them, I'm willing to bet that the Pony Express was in use. "Mom, I went west."
    Is that so hard??

Chris McCandless is no more remarkable than the guy who lived down the street from me in Vail 10 years ago and decided he could walk home from the bar one night alone. Six months later they found his remains in a creek. That guy didn't have a movie made about him, and he walked off by himself without enough basic supplies to survive.

And to whomever said that how many of us can say that there's a movie made about us after we died with Eddie Vedder writing the soundtrack? Chris McCandless doesn't know that, and Eddie Vedder was just another dude in a bar band when Chris McCandless took off. I'm sure he would have been woefully unimpressed at the prospect (Chris, that is).
    If there's to be a movie made about my life, it will hopefully not prominently feature my abject cruelty towards those who love(d) me. And PS if that's what defines your life, that Ed wrote a few songs about you, it's not much to go on in my opinion.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
    Not really.
    The pioneers who moved westward would've taken their bank account with them (although the Mormon pioneers would have given 10% to the church), and they didn't need to burn their last remaining cash to prove that they could sustain themselves. They DID prevail. And if they didn't bring their families with them, I'm willing to bet that the Pony Express was in use. "Mom, I went west."
    Is that so hard??

Chris McCandless is no more remarkable than the guy who lived down the street from me in Vail 10 years ago and decided he could walk home from the bar one night alone. Six months later they found his remains in a creek. That guy didn't have a movie made about him, and he walked off by himself without enough basic supplies to survive.

You're so far off the chart I don't know where to begin.
    Is this supposed to be an attempt at humor?

• DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I could never do this. There ain't no girls to scrump with out in the wilderness. Unless you wanna bang an animal.

Eff that.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    The best thing about going camping in the wilderness...
    Coming home, taking a long, hot shower and sleeping in your own bed.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • say and think what you want about chris, but how many people on this board can say they are going to have a movie made about them after they die? with a soundtrack by eddie vedder no less.

Thats a stupid argument. Hitler and Pinochet have had movies made about them too (although to my knowledge ed didn't soundtrack those).
    Cosmo wrote:
    The best thing about going camping in the wilderness...
    Coming home, taking a long, hot shower and sleeping in your own bed.

Bathing in a nice clear creek then crawling into a warm sleeping bag can be just as nice.

Danimal wrote:
    I could never do this. There ain't no girls to scrump with out in the wilderness. Unless you wanna bang an animal.

Eff that.

Take her with you.

• For the record I'm a bit too busy doing community service (10-15 hours a week) and spending time with my loved ones to be a narcissistic cunt and leave my family with no explanation.
    For the record I'm a bit too busy doing community service (10-15 hours a week) and spending time with my loved ones to be a narcissistic cunt and leave my family with no explanation.

If that's what this is about to you, that's too bad.

gue_barium wrote:
    Bathing in a nice clear creek then crawling into a warm sleeping bag can be just as nice.

As long as I have a therarest pad and a north face bag....and a nice pillow. :p