Options

This situation is REALLY weird...?

2»

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    please no... please... please... PLEASE don't take relationship advice from soulsinging :o you'll just end up bitter and twisted :o

what's bitter and twisted about that advice? it seems like a well-intentioned, though misguided effort on her part to soften the blow.
  • Options
    LOL I was going to say 'Soulsinging, that might have been the only wise thing I've ever seen you write' but I thought that'd be rude. ;)

no offense taken. i know my views on relationships are unpopular here among the hopelessly romantic.
  • Options
    it seems like a well-intentioned, though misguided effort on her part to soften the blow.
    if you had put it like THAT I woulda agreed... rather than

'sounds to me like the wife is trying to assauge her guilt about leaving by setting you up with your mutual friend who might be better able to cope than she was.'
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    no offense taken. i know my views on relationships are unpopular here among the hopelessly romantic.
    I hope you don't think I'M a hopeless romantic? :D:D:D You may be ONE extreme... but I'm not the other.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    if you had put it like THAT I woulda agreed... rather than

'sounds to me like the wife is trying to assauge her guilt about leaving by setting you up with your mutual friend who might be better able to cope than she was.'

see, this is living proof that i'm reasonably sure my advice is often sound, people just don't like my tone in giving it ;)
    I hope you don't think I'M a hopeless romantic? You may be ONE extreme... but I'm not the other.

from my extreme, everyone looks like the other :)
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I would steer clear of going out with anyone friends or more than friends that your wife suggest.. you both need time to heal some open wounds right now. It almost sounds like she is trying to find you someone out of guilt that she feels. I advise taking a lot of time for yourself, and working on making you strong and happy, and then face the world in a while when you're totally clear headed.
  • Options
    see, this is living proof that i'm reasonably sure my advice is often sound, people just don't like my tone in giving it ;)

Tone? Ya mean your words and how you structure them? ;)
    from my extreme, everyone looks like the other :)

Awww :o maybe one day you'll find what you're looking for...
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    lgtlgt Posts: 720
    sounds to me like the wife is trying to assauge her guilt about leaving by setting you up with your mutual friend who might be better able to cope than she was.

I have to admit that was my first thought as well.

I also agree with everyone else not to rush into anything - just take time to think about yourself and recover from this shock news... because from what I've read of your threads it must have come as bolt out of the blue {or whatever the English idiomatic phrase is!}.

With shock, there will be denial, anger, pain, and then acceptance. The end of a relationship is like going through grief.

Venting away also helps, of course.

Keep strong! :)

And exactly we are all here for you.
  • Options
    lgtlgt Posts: 720
    please no... please... please... PLEASE don't take relationship advice from soulsinging :o you'll just end up bitter and twisted :o

OPS! I just gave his advice the thumbs up!!! hahaha! :);)
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    You might know that my wife and I are seperated. There have been many issues for a long time, but a large factor is my disability and the major changes and implications that it's had for her life (she is perfectly able-bodied). It has changed it in ways that have changed the dynamic of our relationship, and she now feels as if she cares for me in a brother/sister way rather than in a 'love' way. The journey I've taken to accept this has been surprisingly smooth. Other info is in other threads...

NOW, she has a good friend who is in a wheelchair. She suggests that I invite her out for a coffee and talk to her because I don't know any other disabled people at the moment and it might be nice if we could talk about things from our own perspective. HOWEVER I know that this friend has always had a thing for me (my wife knows it too) and she is very attractive (my wife also knows that I feel like that!). This is made more complicated by the fact that this girl is quite frail, has a degenerative disability which means she is facing new issues all the time - things are getting worse, basically - and I'm worried about 2 things: 1. Would I be inviting her out for a coffee for the wrong reasons? 2. Her disability is getting worse - is it right that I know this and yet still befriend her, with all the potential expectations that might bring?

I don't know it's all just weird.

Polite response: "honey, I thought the problem you were having with our relationship was that you found it hard to take care of me. I understand that, but then you should just stop doing it, eh?"

Less than polite response: "back the fuck off"

She really has no place suggesting anything. Perhaps you should take a break from talking to her.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    There might actually be a bit of sense in dunkman's first comment. You probably think about things too much.
    If your looking for a serious relationship and you're questioning whether or not to see her then it's probably not meant to be.

Scrap that, I'm not sure. Maybe you should just see her as a friend and be honest about it, see how things go.
    From what you've written, it sounds like your wife knows you pretty well and if she thinks it would be a good idea then maybe you should just trust her on that.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Chime wrote:
    I don't know if this would be of interest to you and it is based out of the UK but this is a group http://www.guch.org.uk/ for grown up congenital heart patients it may be based too much on those who are having further surgery but may have some things you can relate to
    I was hesitant about going to this site because I didn't want to read stories about people who had to have surgeries again about 30 years after their last surgeries. It would scare me. However, last night I finally viewed the site, and the Tetralogy of Fallot stories, and those people KICK ASS! They totally validated my opinion that doctors don't know everything, but sure, modern medicine has it's benefits. One woman with the TET even had a baby! She didn't say the child was adopted or went into a long drawn out explanation so I'm thinking she just gave birth! It was so cool! Thank you, thank you, for showing this site to me!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Thank God this is an old thread. I thought maybe you had discovered that she was your sister or something! :o
This discussion has been closed.