What book are you reading?

Comments

• I am reading "The Ride of Our Lives"

Wonderful book.
    Be Sound...
  • Life Expenctancy, by Dean Koontz

I loved that book. I am a huge Koontz fan. Ever read By The Light of the Moon? Aside from Watchers that is my favorite.
    Be Sound...
  • "To Hate Like This Is To Be Happy Forever", an examination of the fierce rivalry between Duke University and UNC.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • I loved that book. I am a huge Koontz fan. Ever read By The Light of the Moon? Aside from Watchers that is my favorite.

I'm also a huge Koontz fan. I loved Fear Nothing and Seize the Night, can't wait for the third one in that series - as well as his books Winter Moon and Odd Thomas (haven't read the sequel yet).
  • UlalumeUlalume Posts: 48
    The Divine Comedy by Dante Alligheri.

This is definitely my favorite book ever.
    How dark a woe! yet how sublime a hope!
    How silently serene a sea of pride!
    How daring an ambition! yet how deep--
    How fathomless a capacity for love!
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I am about 3/4 through Scar Tissue by Anthony Keidis. That is a fantastic read for anyone wanting information and an inside look at the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Next on my list is either The Perfect Storm (not sure who authored it), or Wal*Mart: A History of Sam Walton's Retail Phenomenon by Sandra S Vance & Roy V. Scott.

On the Wal-Mart book....I hate Wal-Mart, I really hate everything I think they stand for. This book is just for informational purposes to either support my hatred or enlighten me about things I didn't know.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    The Possessed - Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

And if anyone's read his book The Idiot - it's my favorite book of all time.
    am 200 in on The Idiot, thinking its pretty fuckin good but had thoses expectation............have only Notes from the Undrerground left and I'll have done his major works...................think that The Possessed (my copy was called Devils) was his hardest read for me,
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • elmer wrote:
    am 200 in on The Idiot, thinking its pretty fuckin good but had thoses expectation............have only Notes from the Undrerground left and I'll have done his major works...................think that The Possessed (my copy was called Devils) was his hardest read for me,

Yeah the Possessed is a pretty hard read, I've actually taken two breaks from it at different times, just to read something simpler for a while before going back to it.

Let me know what you think of the ending in the Idiot ;)

I haven't read anything else of his but I eventually want to read them all.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    nick1977 wrote:
    I'm reading "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time"

It is a GREAT book with an autistic person as the narrator. I would highly recommend it.

i just read that, too! it was very different...good stuff.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Warday by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    elmer wrote:

ive started brothers karamazov 2-3 different times but always bogged down eventually. that's next on my list once i finish my current book. im damn well going to finish it this tmie.
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    The Smartest Guys In The Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron

Only 90 pages in, but very methodical break-down of how Enron became a high multinational in the mid-90s so far. Very interesting accounting trickeries 5 to 10 years before the collapse
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I'm still on the Jonathan Lethem book noted above, but I also started Cradle to Cradle.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Who has read America by Jon Stewart? My neighbor just lent it to me. I may jump that book ahead of any others I have lined up to read. I heard it's a really funny book.
    smarchee wrote:
    The Smartest Guys In The Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron

Only 90 pages in, but very methodical break-down of how Enron became a high multinational in the mid-90s so far. Very interesting accounting trickeries 5 to 10 years before the collapse
    Nice, that sounds interesting.
  • On The Road, by Kerouac
    Mike

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing
  • Alternatives to Economic Globalization - International Forum on Globalization
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Yeah the Possessed is a pretty hard read, I've actually taken two breaks from it at different times, just to read something simpler for a while before going back to it.

Let me know what you think of the ending in the Idiot ;)

I haven't read anything else of his but I eventually want to read them all.
    ........I find that taking breaks with deep novels such as dostyevsky' can put me on the back foot and make it tougher to re-immerse myself into the narrative. The copy of Possessed that I read had no explantorry notes at the end and this can be precious, there are often times when two characters go off on a tangent talking of sociological/psycholgical issues.
    ......Mikhail Bulgakov(the master and the margherita) created a stage play of the Possessed which was shown in Moscow.
    ...........anyway in The Idiot I am at the stage where Prince Myskin has just escaped being conned by Pavlishevs Son(though actually not a relation) and his motley group.Keller has just made his appearance as he stays on at Lebedevs villa.
    ...........Unless you are overly familiar with the story then I would highly recommend Crime and Punishment
  • None, but I'm writing one. Just finished the first draft yesterday :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • The Shipping News by Annie Proulx

Life of Pi is next
    Wave came crashing...
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Alternatives to Economic Globalization - International Forum on Globalization

Aha! Chic lit! :D

I'm reading - or trying to anyway - Life of Pi.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    ive moved on to 'the sound and the fury' by faulkner. it's impossible to understand, makes joyce look like dr seuss so far. i shoulda read it back in college when i had a brilliant prof to explain it to me. as is, im just going to finish it so i can move on to either 'brothers karamazov' or the novels of dashiell hammett.
  • "All I'm Cracked Up to Be: A Rock n' Roll Fairy Tale" Jen Trynin
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    I figured I'd try "Angels and Demons". I haven't started it yet, though...
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • reachdown12reachdown12 Posts: 693
    know1 wrote:
    I figured I'd try "Angels and Demons". I haven't started it yet, though...

That was actually a great read for me. I find it better than Da Vinci Code which i still feel is overrated. But definitely give Angels and Demons a chance.

As for me...Spirit by Graham Masterton..absolutely phenomenal writer
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Still reading Fortress of Solitude, but I put down Cradle to Cradle in favor of Chronicles Volume 1 by Bob Dylan.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Im reading The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown....good book...very interesting.
    Nature has it's own religion, gospel from the land...
    Im reading The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown....good book...very interesting.
    I wanna read that too.
  • BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    just started...

one year with Schopenhauer (spelling is probably atrocious)
    by I. Yalom

I'm not sure if that's an accurate translation, I am reading it in spanish
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?