What book are you reading?

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    elmer wrote:
    american psycho is an amazing book, are funny and disturbing meant to go together?

have you read ellis' lunar park?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • soapyrowssoapyrows Posts: 235
    Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall-Smith

- so good!!!!!!!!!!
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
  • IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    the monk who sold his ferrari - robin sharma
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    have you read ellis' lunar park?
    no, have you? that is his most recent right? Ive read glamorama and rules of attraction which were a giggle tho glamorama didnt seem to make much sense towards the end.............Id recommend michel houellebecq(atomised,platform,whatever) for anyone who enjoys ellis, their in a similar satirical vein(w graphic sex) but I think with better plots.......................is ellis gay? not that it matters but it had occured to me that he likes to nibble both sides of the biscuit
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Girl With a Pearl Earring currently.

Bought the film, couldn't get into it so I thought I'd try reading the book first. I really like it.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Jonathan Kellerman, The Butcher's Theatre
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Jonathan Kellerman, The Butcher's Theatre

Ooh I like his books. :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Ooh I like his books. :D

Yeah I have read a few of them and they are really good.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • I finished "Clay's Quilt" by Silas House and started "Coal Tattoo" last night. A couple weeks ago someone posted about starting a book club and "Coal Tattoo" was chosen but that thread has since died. Oh well, good read so far.
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
  • zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
    a jim morrison autobiography "no one gets out here alive"
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • Currently reading Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje. Pretty good so far.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Currently reading Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje. Pretty good so far.
    found that ok, but have you read the english patient? that would make it into my all-time top ten
  • Bukowski (A Life)
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    elmer wrote:
    no, have you? that is his most recent right? Ive read glamorama and rules of attraction which were a giggle tho glamorama didnt seem to make much sense towards the end.............Id recommend michel houellebecq(atomised,platform,whatever) for anyone who enjoys ellis, their in a similar satirical vein(w graphic sex) but I think with better plots.......................is ellis gay? not that it matters but it had occured to me that he likes to nibble both sides of the biscuit

yes i've read it. i read all his books.
    i don't know about nibbling both sides of the biscuit, but lunar park makes you maybe question the guy's sanity. after you get past the eerie and somewhat egotistical fact that the lead character's name is... bret ellis, it settles into a 'is this or isn't this his life and how much of his life is actually in this story' story. then you get hit with the stephen king aspect and it throws you for the remainder of the book. well it did me at least.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Just finished some stuff by William Kennedy too...
    writes great historical fiction about Albany, NY.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i just read love, freedom, aloneness - the koan of relationships...by osho....and it was excellent! great ideas/philosophies...really got me thinking, still thinking about...lots of great quotes from it b/c it just presents good ideas.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    I'm reading 'All Families are Psychotic' by Douglas Coupland. I love his books. A member of the board got me reading him. I recommend 'Girlfriend in a Coma'....probably the best book I've ever read.
  • How to Write a Poem- Lawrence Jay Dessner
    Can't you see that there's light in the dark.
    Nothing's quite what it seems in the city of dreams.
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    TC Boyle!

I highly recommend any of his books. Drop City, Water music are great to name a few.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    by Christopher Moore

I love this author. He makes me giggle my ass off. Even when he's writing about death.
    Feels Good Inc.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Started Zadie Smith's 'On Beauty' yesterday and am already 125 pages in. Really draws you in.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    ooh I love these threads, there's so much inspiration in them!

I'm reading Burton On Burton, a biography of Tim Burton (kinda done himself) edited by Mark Salisbury.

It's really good, fantastic accounts from Burton's early career. Just started yesterday and can't get my nose out of it
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • I'm reading Wicked: the life and times of the wicked witch of the west.

great use of language in there.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Still reading Gilead, which is very good. Also, reading a book on Self-Hypnosis. Something like Instant Self-Hypnosis.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • chipboychipboy Posts: 137
    I'm reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and it is making me hate America.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Chime wrote:
    Started Zadie Smith's 'On Beauty' yesterday and am already 125 pages in. Really draws you in.
    I'm waiting for the paperback - it's like ketchup coming out of a bottle, you know that type of anticipation. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to reading that one. I LOVED White Teeth.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'm waiting for the paperback - it's like ketchup coming out of a bottle, you know that type of anticipation. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to reading that one. I LOVED White Teeth.

I'm in the UK and my copy is paper back and was half price in Borders :D:D:D so can't be too long until it's paper back everywhere.

I'm actually enjoying it more than I did White Teeth (which I liked). I haven't read The Autograph Man yet.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The Bloody Crown of Conan-Robert E. Howard......the ongoing collection of the original Conan stories from the 1930's pulp magazines.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tomorrow I get to start in on a book about the history of...statistics.

should be a page turner.