anybody want to join me on a great white dive?

NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
next year either october or november iam looking to book the whole boat with just friends
it leaves from san diego and 22 hours later u wind up off guadalupe island,,home to the largest concentration of great whites in the world
crystal clear water beautiful weather and great whites for 7 days (2 days travel)
cost is approx $1500-$2000

plenty of time to think about it ,,i assure u it will be one of the best experiences in ur life (p.s. beers and booze after diving each day,,not during the day) also 3 meals a day (prepared by a chef on board) included in the price as well as all the beer u want ,,booze must be brought aboard
also great tuna fishing off the boat

thanx to even flow for reminding me of this earlier this morning
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Holy FUCK I'd love to do that!
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Holy FUCK I'd love to do that!

as i said ,,def top 3 things i have and will experience in my life

again plenty of time to think about it ,,im just throwing this on the board very early to see if their is interest in it
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    as i said ,,def top 3 things i have and will experience in my life

again plenty of time to think about it ,,im just throwing this on the board very early to see if their is interest in it

I would be interested if I was from the USA dude. Who knows, maybe if the sharks aren't there that day it'll be because they've swum up to Cornwall or some such British coast, and I can say Thank Fuck for global warming. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

I would be interested if I was from the USA dude. Who knows, maybe if the sharks aren't there that day it'll be because they've swum up to Cornwall or some such British coast, and I can say Thank Fuck for global warming. :D

u could cruise on down to south africa and catch awesome breachings

however the visibility is not great
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    u could cruise on down to south africa and catch awesome breachings

however the visibility is not great

Yeah I've heard that.

Oh well, I'll do it one day.

• even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    1500 - 2000 US and the includes airfare and the whole lot?
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I look forward to the future headline, '9 Pit Pals Make Great White Buffet"
    even flow? wrote:
    1500 - 2000 US and the includes airfare and the whole lot?

airfare not included but everything else is
    if i was able to secure the whole boat i would hope to get alittle play from the company on the price,but i wouldnt count on that

p.s. wetsuits must also be owned or rented
    most people who dive own wetsuits ,so thats not really brought up

but those can be rented
    Rygar wrote:
    I look forward to the future headline, '9 Pit Pals Make Great White Buffet"

not a chance my friend,,they are interested in the tuna ,not the pit members
    the biggest element of danger is when u enter and exit the cage
    not from the sharks but from the 50-100lbs of weights attached to ur body to keep u on the bottom of the cage
    u have a few steps to take where their is only a ladder no cage or boat ,so if u were to slip in that area u could fall in and begin to sink

they will teach u how to remove the weight belt asap in case it happened ,,nothing to worry about
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    this thread title is racist!!!

;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    not a chance my friend,,they are interested in the tuna ,not the pit members
    the biggest element of danger is when u enter and exit the cage
    not from the sharks but from the 50-100lbs of weights attached to ur body to keep u on the bottom of the cage
    u have a few steps to take where their is only a ladder no cage or boat ,so if u were to slip in that area u could fall in and begin to sink

they will teach u how to remove the weight belt asap in case it happened ,,nothing to worry about

Famous last words ;)
    Sharks are neat and all, and shark week on the discovery channel is fun, but you wouldn't catch me going in the water with them!
    Rygar wrote:
    Famous last words ;)
    Sharks are neat and all, and shark week on the discovery channel is fun, but you wouldn't catch me going in the water with them!

Even in a cage? I think it would be neat to be in the ocean and having one ram the cage ala Jaws. :)
    Rygar wrote:
    Famous last words ;)

the choice is yours,,

cant just watch hockey forever lol
    even flow? wrote:
    Even in a cage? I think it would be neat to be in the ocean and having one ram the cage ala Jaws. :)

I would get in the cage if I was there and everyone put me on the spot, but I wouldn't go looking for it.
    Despite the fact that sharks generally mistake people for seals or investigate by biting, or whatever, they're still wild animals.
    And if shark week has taught me anything, it's that great white sharks are strong enough to bend cage bars ;)
    Jaws I through IV certainly didn't help matters.
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    the choice is yours,,

cant just watch hockey forever lol

If the Habs keep playing the way they're playing, I won't even be watching hockey come the end of the season let alone forever.
    Screw you Leafs.
    even flow? wrote:

they aint ramming the cage,, the last thing they want is to injure themselves

although on one of my dives one did get stuck underneath inbetween the 2 cages and we had to use our feet to to free him :) such fun
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    they aint ramming the cage,, the last thing they want is to injure themselves

although on one of my dives one did get stuck underneath inbetween the 2 cages and we had to use our feet to to free him :) such fun

You have to admit it would be cool to see a big shark coming full steam and giving the cage a headbutt. :)

Are the sharks just there or do they chum them to the area? I am going to keep this thread in the back of my mind for future reference.
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    airfare not included but everything else is
    if i was able to secure the whole boat i would hope to get alittle play from the company on the price,but i wouldnt count on that

p.s. wetsuits must also be owned or rented
    most people who dive own wetsuits ,so thats not really brought up

but those can be rented
    :eek: it would be cheaper to go to South Africa :eek: Flights from 300euro, hotels maybe 40euro a night, the dive was only 150euro.

They never told me about the dangers of jumping in with the weights on :D but I was shitting it as it was.

To anybody who has not done this and is in two minds, just fucking do it... seriously, for me it's right up there in my top 3 also. It's a once in a lifetime thing (unless you're really rich) and I cannot cannot CANNOT recommend it enough... there aren't enough superlatives in the world to describe the feeling when a 5.5m great white just cruises past ya close enough to touch.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    even flow? wrote:
    You have to admit it would be cool to see a big shark coming full steam and giving the cage a headbutt. :)

Are the sharks just there or do they chum them to the area? I am going to keep this thread in the back of my mind for future reference.

they do chum ,, but the sharks are never too far away

within 5 minutes of chumming they arrive

the best is when 2 or 3 come at once and everywhere u turn u see 1 !!!

the rush is amazing

they would swim directly at the cage but turn away a few feet from it
    once they realized it wasnt anything exciting lol
  • even flow? wrote:
    :D I was kinda secretly hoping for something like that too... but in a way I was glad it didn't happen :o :eek: :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    thats right kids,,helen has experienced this in south africa and as u can read she agrees

i would love to do that trip to see the feeding and breaching

but the tropical water and warm sun of guadalupe appeals to me more
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    thats right kids,,helen has experienced this in south africa and as u can read she agrees

i would love to do that trip to see the feeding and breaching

but the tropical water and warm sun of guadalupe appeals to me more
    Yep it really is amazing... there are trips you can do, if you pay enough, where you can work with them in catching and tagging the great whites and if they think you're competent enough, you can swim with them :eek: . Can you imagine how intense that would be? :eek:

Visibility was only a couple of yards when I was there but that's cos it may have been the wrong time of the year... it was autumn and raining and windy, but apparently visibility is much better at other times of the year.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Yep it really is amazing... there are trips you can do, if you pay enough, where you can work with them in catching and tagging the great whites and if they think you're competent enough, you can swim with them :eek: . Can you imagine how intense that would be? :eek:

Visibility was only a couple of yards when I was there but that's cos it may have been the wrong time of the year... it was autumn and raining and windy, but apparently visibility is much better at other times of the year.

that tagging and free swimming with them is awesome
    i would love that :)

now imaging being in the cage and and having visibility as far as the eye can see !!! pretty cool
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    that tagging and free swimming with them is awesome
    i would love that :)

now imaging being in the cage and and having visibility as far as the eye can see !!! pretty cool
    Of course it would be pretty cool :) but the lack of visibility didn't take anything away from the experience at ALL. If you're gonna see great whites for the first time, I don't think location and surroundings or anything else combine to make it even better or worse for that matter... it's still gonna be one of the best things you ever do :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Of course it would be pretty cool :) but the lack of visibility didn't take anything away from the experience at ALL. If you're gonna see great whites for the first time, I don't think location and surroundings or anything else combine to make it even better or worse for that matter... it's still gonna be one of the best things you ever do :)

cant argue w/ that

cmon kiddies come and join the fun :)

dont waste ur lives away on a message board lol j/k
  • ill go and be the beer tub/dj girl. ;)
  • dunkman wrote:
    this thread title is racist!!!

;)

You should have seen his last one. 'Anyone want to join me on a great white supremacy campaign?' :D

Earthgirl wrote:
    ill go and be the beer tub/dj girl. ;)

thats at night,,, in the day u would be diving w/ me ,, ur an adventure seeker this is right up ur alley :)

speaking of dj

i forgot to mention they have this amazing underwater sound system so u have an ipod hooked up on board and u can hear the music clear as day under the water quite amazing
    chili peppers and pj blasting it was wild
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    next year either october or november iam looking to book the whole boat with just friends
    it leaves from san diego and 22 hours later u wind up off guadalupe island,,home to the largest concentration of great whites in the world
    crystal clear water beautiful weather and great whites for 7 days (2 days travel)
    cost is approx $1500-$2000

plenty of time to think about it ,,i assure u it will be one of the best experiences in ur life (p.s. beers and booze after diving each day,,not during the day) also 3 meals a day (prepared by a chef on board) included in the price as well as all the beer u want ,,booze must be brought aboard
    also great tuna fishing off the boat

thanx to even flow for reminding me of this earlier this morning

yeah i would love to do that i will put it in the wife's mind tonight as to start making plans ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    yeah i would love to do that i will put it in the wife's mind tonight as to start making plans ...

put ur foot down :)