Options

Mental disability groups protest 'Tropic Thunder'

Comments

• Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    jwillmo wrote:
    But, see, in this case, they actually DO to make the point they're trying to make. Again, this is very hard to get across to someone who willfully admits to having not even seen the film they're talking about.

I really shouldn't take the time to explain this all, since you're clearly never going to admit that you don't have enough context to be able to critique this film, but I'm going to anyway. The Stiller character thinks he's going to win an Oscar for his film "Simple Jack," a film clearly molded after movies like I Am Sam that are incredibly condescending to the mental challenged and are clearly just ploys to get Oscar nominations. The Robert Downey Jr character, who is just as much of an egotistical a-hole, tells him that he won't win because only people like Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump win, because they only play slightlly mentally challenged roles. Because the role is a satire of actors with this mentality, his quote is "Never go full retard." Now, sure there are tons of insensitive people who would think that quote is meant to be funny on its own, and those are exactly the kinds of jerks the film is making fun of. The line isn't funny, it's the fact that a jerk actor says it. If he had said, "Never play a fully mentally challenged person, who by the way are wonderful people that deserve our respect," the satire is completely lost. They're supposed to be unlikeable, so of course he would say something completely oblivious and disresepctful.

So yes, in this case the use of the word "retard", in context, is the most appropriate word BECAUSE it's so offensive.

Sounds a lot like Matt Dillon's line about "working with retards" in "There's Something About Mary" which I alluded to earlier. It's not that the joke is on disabled people, of course. It's the word itself that is being satirized. Taking that away -- the freedom of satire -- is an enormous disservice.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    Sounds a lot like Matt Dillon's line about "working with retards" in "There's Something About Mary" which I alluded to earlier. It's not that the joke is on disabled people, of course. It's the word itself that is being satirized. Taking that away -- the freedom of satire -- is an enormous disservice.
    It's exactly like that, in the context of the film.

It's like saying no one should ever talk about racism, because if they do they might have to use the "n" word in their discussion, and no one should ever use the "n" word, even when making a statement about how hurtful the "n" word is. As I said before, it really stifles intelligent conversation and lowers discourse to the lowest common denominator. We can't talk at a certain level, because those at a lower level of understanding will take our meaning out of context. You just shouldn't have to live that way.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    jwillmo wrote:
    It's exactly like that, in the context of the film.

It's like saying no one should ever talk about racism, because if they do they might have to use the "n" word in their discussion, and no one should ever use the "n" word, even when making a statement about how hurtful the "n" word is. As I said before, it really stifles intelligent conversation and lowers discourse to the lowest common denominator. We can't talk at a certain level, because those at a lower level of understanding will take our meaning out of context. You just shouldn't have to live that way.

I have a feeling the people who would protest this movie are the same people who thought that New Yorker cover actually made fun of Obama ... when it was actually making fun of the Republicans' TREATMENT of Obama.

Satire is totally lost on some people. But you can't go around in life catering to the lowest common denominator.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    jwillmo wrote:
    But, see, in this case, they actually DO to make the point they're trying to make. Again, this is very hard to get across to someone who willfully admits to having not even seen the film they're talking about.

I really shouldn't take the time to explain this all, since you're clearly never going to admit that you don't have enough context to be able to critique this film, but I'm going to anyway. The Stiller character thinks he's going to win an Oscar for his film "Simple Jack," a film clearly molded after movies like I Am Sam that are incredibly condescending to the mental challenged and are clearly just ploys to get Oscar nominations. The Robert Downey Jr character, who is just as much of an egotistical a-hole, tells him that he won't win because only people like Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump win, because they only play slightlly mentally challenged roles. Because the role is a satire of actors with this mentality, his quote is "Never go full retard." Now, sure there are tons of insensitive people who would think that quote is meant to be funny on its own, and those are exactly the kinds of jerks the film is making fun of. The line isn't funny, it's the fact that a jerk actor says it. If he had said, "Never play a fully mentally challenged person, who by the way are wonderful people that deserve our respect," the satire is completely lost. They're supposed to be unlikeable, so of course he would say something completely oblivious and disresepctful.

So yes, in this case the use of the word "retard", in context, is the most appropriate word BECAUSE it's so offensive.

This might win the award for most intelligent post in this thread. Congrats on actually getting it. :)

PS: If you're offended by seeing a man wearing a Panda head get kicked in the nuts, do not watch this "viral" video from the stars of Tropic Thunder.

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1588444&vid=237158
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if this has been addressed, but how is the word 'retard' any different from words like moron, stupid, idiot, thick, imbecile, dunce, dumb, simpleton etc? Essentially they are all implying the same thing.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    jwillmo wrote:

Ok, fine. I like the Something about Mary analogy someone else mentioned.

However, is this kind of humor that has to dominate society? I know, you're probably rolling your eyes, but this kind of humor is unfortunately the norm of American pop culture. So we can laugh at this Stiller character because of his funny role, great. But why is it that this is the kind of character that a movie tends to center around, in order to make a funny movie? It's just the concept of even having to have that type of person involved in the storyline. To me, it makes Stiller look like he's really reaching here (in trying to make a funny movie; he wrote it didn't he?). And it makes me lose respect for him.

I'd let this get to me, but nothing can get me down right now. I met Eddie Vedder in Montreal!!! :)
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

However, is this kind of humor that has to dominate society? I know, you're probably rolling your eyes, but this kind of humor is unfortunately the norm of American pop culture. So we can laugh at this Stiller character because of his funny role, great. But why is it that this is the kind of character that a movie tends to center around, in order to make a funny movie? It's just the concept of even having to have that type of person involved in the storyline. To me, it makes Stiller look like he's really reaching here (in trying to make a funny movie; he wrote it didn't he?). And it makes me lose respect for him.

I'd let this get to me, but nothing can get me down right now. I met Eddie Vedder in Montreal!!! :)
    I'm not sure I follow you... This film focuses on a group of actors with their own respective problems and prejudices and obstacles - the retard line is just that: a line. Notice how no one's complained about Robert Downey Jr "blacking up" for this movie... cos it's a comedy.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    Ben Stiller is behind the protest, it'll double ticket sales just to see people saying 'retarded'

funny, Boston, South Park, and Saturday Night Live aren't boycotted or picketted for saying 'retarded' or making fun of disabilities, well ok, South Park has been.

I've been to Boston on a few occassions, and locals really do use the work 'retarted' in everyother sentence, lol
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    lephty wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioJQFrqMXM

enjoy... there is a dozen or so episodes~

i am quoting myself cause i think people overlooked this... its so worth your time~

and before you get offended and want to say how wrong this series is, make sure you read the description
  • Options
    All factors considered it's still poor taste to put out a war movie right now... but who gives a shit...

Sort of a odd society that does this to be entertained...in light of...if you ask me.

but you know...fuck it...it's the sentiment of the decade...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I simply can't believe that there are already 7 pages of disscussuion on this topic....
    people...this is a MOVIE.....

If you don't like, or somehow are offended by this film, I have brilliant thought for you....

Take you $10 for your ticket and the $20 you were going to spend on the Jumbo bucket of popcorn and the Mega bladder-buster drink, and tell the teeny-bopper behind the bullet-proof glass that you want to see a different movie....

or better yet, stick the $$ back in you pocket and drive back to your house, whip out you checkbook and make a donation to some charitable group that researches mental disabilities....

But hey, that would make too much sense and would'nt allow you to force your beliefs on others...

This PC bullshit is going way too far.....

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers

However, is this kind of humor that has to dominate society? I know, you're probably rolling your eyes, but this kind of humor is unfortunately the norm of American pop culture. So we can laugh at this Stiller character because of his funny role, great. But why is it that this is the kind of character that a movie tends to center around, in order to make a funny movie?

Probably because smart, normal, & intelligent people aren't funny.

I don't think the movie would be as funny with Ben Kingsley, Cuba Gooding Jr., & Paul Giammatti.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    I am curious does anyone get offended when they see the the word retard as it is used in music, as in to slow down the tempo?
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I am curious does anyone get offended when they see the the word retard as it is used in music, as in to slow down the tempo?

I'm sure if you go on the Porch you'll see plenty of people using it in reference to Boom slowing down the tempo ;)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I do not like it when people use that term or others similar in a negative fashion. But as soon as you say that people tell you to lighten up, etc. I try to put myself in the place of someone who might have a close relative, child or friend who is mentally retarded and see how I would feel if I was at a movie or in public and hear people using it negatively.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    know1 wrote:
    I do not like it when people use that term or others similar in a negative fashion. But as soon as you say that people tell you to lighten up, etc. I try to put myself in the place of someone who might have a close relative, child or friend who is mentally retarded and see how I would feel if I was at a movie or in public and hear people using it negatively.

Thank you. And this is where I am at.
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i don't even know what to say... i saw this video as i love what Ponce and mediocrefilms put on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUF2i8Anh00
  • Options
    this thread is retarded.
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    this thread is retarded.

:D
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    this movie also calls overweight people fatties....i'm overweight....am i offended?

NO!!

But that's a choice.

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    know1 wrote:
    But that's a choice.

do you know me?
    do you know my health situation?
    or are you, once again, talking out your ass?

spread your ignorance elsewhere, thanks
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    all i know is i saw the trailer to this movie and it didn't look funny.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    all i know is i saw the trailer to this movie and it didn't look funny.

I thought the movie was great..It was very funny,
  • Options
    I would never laugh at somebody who has a disability either, the film makes fun of actors who will do anything to get a part, hence Robert Downey Jr playing a black guy.

downey jnr playing an australian playing a black guy.
  • Options
    BibbsBibbs Posts: 229
    People have disabilities from mild to severe.... dyslexia, autism, downs syndrom etc
    ••• Immortality •••
    www.myspace.com/kosmicjelli
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    do you know me?
    do you know my health situation?
    or are you, once again, talking out your ass?

spread your ignorance elsewhere, thanks

No to all those questions.

You seriously can't be attempting to equate being overweight to being mentally retarded, are you?

• Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    never go full retard
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    I loved Tropic Thunder. I was crying when Ben Stiller played the mentally challenged guy (Simple Jack). I think people in America should just grow balls and quit bitching about comedies and anything that's close to offensive. We are in a war that costs billions a week, our economy is shit and both candidates look like a bunch of typical political flip floppers. It amazes me that people bitch so much in this country. Laugh at shit and be happy. Because believe it or not.....offensive usually always equals funny, and I didn't even find the movie that offensive. Not once did Ben Stiller or any character verbally assault retarded people in the movie so please just get a fucking life and lighten up.

Support Tropic Thunder!
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

Actually one of my friends grand child has severe autism and I laughed my ass of at Tropic Thunder. I say lighten up because believe it or not, it's a movie....ITS NOT FUCKING REAL. Everything in Tropic Thunder is blown out of proportion and that's why I laughed as hard as I did. I really don't see why people get "hurt" when others make fun of them, seriously let it go.

I am overweight, have annoying pimples that appear on my face, have stretch marks on my stomach, up and down my arms (that's from weight lifting though), have an eating problem, never had a girlfriend and many other issues. But guess what, I never once let anyone in high school get to me when they picked on me. Know how I did it? I just laughed it off. Why get "hurt" over words when I have many more issues than that to deal with. Down with censorship.
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    downey jnr playing an australian playing a black guy.
    "I'm the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude." Fucking classic.

What's funniest about the Robert Downey Jr character is it's making fun of method actors, and he's a method actor. The scene where he's trying to get Stiller out but they're both so far gone into their characters is brilliant.

Seeing it for the second time, I'd forgotten how small the part of the movie is that started all this controversial shit in the first place. It's literally about 5% of the entire film. The organizations protesting it are probably actually hurting their cause, by emphasizing such a small part of the film. Unless their "cause" is just letting people know they exist. If that's the case, well done.