Options

Mental disability groups protest 'Tropic Thunder'

KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
edited August 2008 in A Moving Train
http://apnews.myway.com//article/20080812/D92GMG5G0.html

When will people stop the madness? People with mental disbilities can have mild to severe cases. If anyone one has spent alot of time with someone whom is disabled will realize that they just have a unique perspective and reality... ummmm doesnt that sound like all of us?

I try to spend time educating those whom feel uncomfortable with people whom have mental disabilites. I spend alot of time with a 8 year old boy whom has downs syndrome. Frankly, he the most brightest, funniest, cutest child I have ever met.

When are we going to stop degregading members of our society? I dont mind a good chuckle about the truths of our ignorance as a society whether it comes to race, mental capabilities, gender, social status, sexual orientation, etc....

But my real question is: When will we stop perpetuating the myths, fallacies and stereotypes about valid members of society? Do we or do we not "all" have some thing "wrong" with us in the eye of the beholder? Isnt this what makes us individuals? When are people going to get past such gross judgements and realize that all of us are important and most of all- important to each other?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Some people really need to get a sence of humour, it's a fucking comedy film.
    I have been looking forwads to watching this for ages.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    Some people really need to get a sence of humour, it's a fucking comedy film.
    I have been looking forwads to watching this for ages.
    Out of anyone I know... I HAVE THE MOST GREATEST sense of HUMOR... believe me! I think humor and laughter is one of our greatest gifts! Most of my posts have a giggle in them!!!!!!

I also believe that it should not perpetuate our slanted and disilliusioned thoughts about others. I suppose that is why I couldnt tell a joke if it killed me...blondes, nationals, race....blah blah blah... Ive been told them million of times, I just sigh and say that is very bad most of the time. I guess that is why people like Seinfeld are reguarded as such a comic genius... he laughs about life and its webs that have been weaved. Not about how many "people" it takes to screw in a lightbulb....

I am just suggesting that we need to start embracing and recocognizing our faults... not laugh at them.
  • Options
    Out of anyone I know... I HAVE THE MOST GREATEST sense of HUMOR... believe me! I think humor and laughter is one of our greatest gifts! Most of my posts have a giggle in them!!!!!!

I also believe that it should not perpetuate our slanted and disilliusioned thoughts about others. I suppose that is why I couldnt tell a joke if it killed me...blondes, nationals, race....blah blah blah... Ive been told them million of times, I just sigh and say that is very bad most of the time. I guess that is why people like Seinfeld are reguarded as such a comic genius... he laughs about life and its webs that have been weaved. Not about how many "people" it takes to screw in a lightbulb....

I am just suggesting that we need to start embracing and recocognizing our faults... not laugh at them.

I understand what you mean but I don't think anyone should ever read to much into movie. It is meant to entertain, I am sure Ben Stiller doesn't mean to offend it just comes naturally to him :)
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

• Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    If you don't like the movie or its idea - don't go. The PC police out again..............................

Does anyone remember laughter?

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    I agree with surfanddestroy. It's just a movie.

But to answer your real question: I don't know when, but I don't think banning movies will help.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    If you don't like the movie or its idea - don't go. The PC police out again..............................

Does anyone remember laughter?

OMG... your twisted views are getting in the way of your thinking people! I fucking hate PC people!!!!

GEESH... I laughed hysterically during Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay... OMG the jokes were hilarious, the cops racial profiling the orthodontist!!! Shit all I am saying its easy to get a laugh when you are doing it at the expense of others... open your mind my kind fellow!!!
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    I agree with surfanddestroy. It's just a movie.

But to answer your real question: I don't know when, but I don't think banning movies will help.

Who the hell said we are banning movies... OH it was Collin... NEVERMIND, I try not to argue with intellectual nincompoops!
  • Options
    OMG... your twisted views are getting in the way of your thinking people! I fucking hate PC people!!!!

GEESH... I laughed hysterically during Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay... OMG the jokes were hilarious, the cops racial profiling the orthodontist!!! Shit all I am saying its easy to get a laugh when you are doing it at the expense of others... open your mind my kind fellow!!!

How is it at the expense of others, it is not aimed at anyone directly.

• Options
    I love Ben Stiller, omg his characters are hilarious... I havent seen the movie, but all I am making is a "simple" (?) reference to our own human condition...
  • Options
    Who the hell said we are banning movies... OH it was Collin... NEVERMIND, I try not to argue with intellectual nincompoops!

The disability groups said that they want the film to be banned.

• Options
    How is it at the expense of others, it is not aimed at anyone directly.

Thank you and my point is...... laughter is fucking fantastic as long as you are not making it at the expense of others.... geesh! Everyone takes offense... starts getting on their high horse and blurting out things like PC and banning movies....

ITS ALL IN THE MESSAGE, FOLKS.....
  • Options
    The disability groups said that they want the film to be banned.

lol... omg nevermind... if you cant take this trip with me I guess I prefer not to take you there... enough said!
  • Options
    Have anyone of you even recognized that this thread has nothing to do about the movie but rather about our greatest social ills... ummmm.. something along the line that we need to start understanding each other for one, now do I need to start spelling out the rest?
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i thought ben stiller *was* retarded. i missed a memo.
  • Options
    Its not about the story... its about my message... take it or leave it. Now ponder that thought for awhile folks...

I am out.
  • Options
    Have anyone of you even recognized that this thread has nothing to do about the movie but rather about our greatest social ills... ummmm.. something along the line that we need to start understanding each other for one, now do I need to start spelling out the rest?

Maybe next time make you point clearer.

• Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Well like most Ben Stiller movies, I won't be seeing it anyway, because the guy and his films do nothing for me but really presenting a polarized view of those with mental and physical disabilities is nothing new.

Generally I find that those that have problems with people with intellectual disabilities simply have no experience with people that are different and that's their loss really.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Its not about the story... its about my message... take it or leave it. Now ponder that thought for awhile folks...

I am out.

hey, don't yell at us. we didn't make the movie.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932

Fuck you, dude. I don't know what your problem is, man.

You posted a link to a story. The mental disability groups said they wanted to ban the movie. If you don't want people to mention stuff from in the article you posted perhaps you shouldn't post it.

So, fuck you. I tried to be polite and civil but you can't seem to let go of whatever grudge you have against me, for whatever reason... You insult me because I mentioned something you posted...
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I thought the film had to do with making fun of war movies and actors.

I haven't seen any marketing making fun of mentally disabled people.

I never understand the protests by these groups. Most people don't even view things the way they do. It's only going to generate negative press for the protesting group. Kind of like Peta.

Perhaps, people are simply too sensitive?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I thought the film had to do with making fun of war movies and actors.

Yup thats what I thought too.

• Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    What the fuck is all this about?

Protesting....banning a satirical....parodic film?

Sheesh, are these people retarded?
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    What the fuck is all this about?

Protesting....banning a satirical....parodic film?

Sheesh, are these people retarded?

I want to laugh but I probably shouldn't :o

• Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    I want to laugh but I probably shouldn't :o

Go ahead. That was the intent:D
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Go ahead. That was the intent:D

:D

• Options
    its all about context. i heard it was making fun of actors who play retarded people to get oscars. I have a brother with down's syndrome and that doesnt really bother me. if its just laughing at retarded kids for being retarded, i would probably walk out. i've just never found that funny. I dont care if someone thinks i dont have a sense of humor for not laughing at certain people.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    its all about context. i heard it was making fun of actors who play retarded people to get oscars. I have a brother with down's syndrome and that doesnt really bother me. if its just laughing at retarded kids for being retarded, i would probably walk out. i've just never found that funny. I dont care if someone thinks i dont have a sense of humor for not laughing at certain people.

I would never laugh at somebody who has a disability either, the film makes fun of actors who will do anything to get a part, hence Robert Downey Jr playing a black guy.

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    I would never laugh at somebody who has a disability either, the film makes fun of actors who will do anything to get a part, hence Robert Downey Jr playing a black guy.

Exactly the joke in the movie is making fun of actors like Sean Penn who basically take roles where they pretend (badly) to be mentally disabled people in order to win awards.
  • Options
    I've never understood what "myths" and "fallacies" about any particular group of people weren't actually true nature observations.

We should embrace ourselves for who we are. That means being able to laugh at ourselves and not associating hate with the humor.

Don't movies that involve black people in humorous black stereotypes typically draw large black audiences? See people laughing at themselves.

I'm not pissed at the movie Pineapple Express because I'm a stoner. I find it funny because I can relate to it.
    the Minions
  • Options
    yeah thats what i thought too. i dont see the problem.