Options

Westboro Baptist Church will protest Amish Funerals.

13»

Comments

• Options
    truroutetruroute Posts: 251
    Live a day in their shoes and you may thank your American butt where you LUCKED out to be where you were born.....just as I am thank-ful for mine...but I will never condone the actons your country takes....

I honestly dont know why you said that.
  • Options
    truroutetruroute Posts: 251
    Open wrote:
    Yeah when we become the Nazis! Think about what you're saying.

Nazis? Wow, you went out on a limb there bud. Dont have a clue as to what your saying here also.
  • Options
    I saw someone talking about free speech earlier and is this WBC shit free speech? Or is it hate speech? Is calling someone a fag, spic, wetback, honky, nigger, kike, or any other hateful name really free speech? I think there is a big difference between free speech and hate speech and what this ignorant, brainwashed, blind, black hearted, nazis are spewing is not free speech but hate speech.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Yep, it's time to do away with your antiquated first amendment, and replace it with a new stipulation, allowing for the right to free speech against persecution and oppression, but denying what might be considered the freedom to persecute or oppress. Test cases would enable legislation against bad kinds of "free speech", privilege the victim of such speech but use a mean or balance, to make sure the victim isn't being over-sensitive to remarks.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    It is wise to understand the reasoning of violent actions that happen to be killing our troops and many innocent people. If you never address the cause then the problem will never end. It would be like trying to cure AIDS by simply using condoms. It's not going to go anywhere until you address the root of the problem. There is no agreeing with killers or sympathizing with them. It is wrong and no one has said different. And feeling sympathy for the situation in the middle east and it's people who are suffering does not equal sympathizing with terrorists, no matter how badly you want there to be a connection.

This is strikingly similar to the argument I was trying to make about school shootings in another thread ...
  • Options
    This is strikingly similar to the argument I was trying to make about school shootings in another thread ...

You can get rid of guns or lessen the availability of them to help ease the problem. You can't get rid of Islam or it's people without genocide.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yep, it's time to do away with your antiquated first amendment, and replace it with a new stipulation, allowing for the right to free speech against persecution and oppression, but denying what might be considered the freedom to persecute or oppress. Test cases would enable legislation against bad kinds of "free speech", privilege the victim of such speech but use a mean or balance, to make sure the victim isn't being over-sensitive to remarks.

No thanks. I have no interest in opening up our Bill of Rights to politicization. We have enough trouble with erosion of liberties against our will. The last thing I'd want to do is encourage it.

And why do people have a right to be free from being offended?

I think the Phelps clan are a bunch of inbred assholes. I think they are disgusting. But I certainly don't want our gov't creating a laundry list of acceptable and unacceptable speech.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    jeffbr wrote:

And why do people have a right to be free from being offended?

There's often a fist, a gun, a burning cross, or an aggressive economic policy, where there's an offensive comment; words can be wounding enough. The Amish community are a minority: they might eschew conventional methods of court procedure, but if the law were there to protect their right to freedom from oppressive speech, it would operate - should the need arise - to represent, and defend, the totality of all American people against aggressive "free speech" (a morally invalid and specious mode of verbal intimidation and intolerance).
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    There's often a fist, a gun, a burning cross, or an aggressive economic policy, where there's an offensive comment; words can be wounding enough. The Amish community are a minority: they might eschew conventional methods of court procedure, but if the law were there to protect their right to freedom from oppressive speech, it would operate - should the need arise - to represent, and defend, the totality of all American people against aggressive "free speech" (a morally invalid and specious mode of verbal intimidation and intolerance).

I understand what you are saying. I also understand that our courts have ruled that our 1st Ammendment doesn't grant an absolute right to free speech. There have been constraints placed on speech (can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, can't incite riots, can't say "Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits" on broadcast TV, etc...). But the point is the barrier is currently pretty high for the government to whittle away one of our most important rights. Both sides would love a crack at it - the hypersensitive left and the fundamentalist right. I would certainly not be in favor of a rewrite in today's climate.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Anybody, especially a liberal knows that the Amish and Menanites are probably the closest thing that you can get to a gentile human being on the planet. I abhor assholes who think that because they live a simple lifestyle that they are somehow out of touch. St. Jacobs is one of the best places to visit and hang around in Ontario and that is Menanite country. You probably have never heard so many hellos in your life in one day until you drop by one of their living areas. So what does this have to do with a liberal. I guess the fact that we don't mind letting groups such as the one who are going to protest, look like fucking assholes and protest. Free country to make yourself look like a major jack-ass.

i agree with ya on the Amish and Menanites..there are communities around here with them..they are simple,yes,but they work hard and are very kind.very nice.i mean ,,,just think...if we lost power and all the shit we take for granted...who'd survive?? my bet goes on the Amish and Menanite community..... it sure wouldnt be our spoiled asses.........
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....