Options

Westboro Baptist Church will protest Amish Funerals.

Comments

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    truroute wrote:
    When people give reason and rational as to why others kidnap/blowup/ decapitate/ bomb/ whatever. I dont think i have to imply jackshit.

Yes we explain WHY the terrorists hate America and attack us, therefor you imply we side with the terrorists? Give me a break.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    Yes we explain WHY the terrorists hate America and attack us, therefor you imply we side with the terrorists? Give me a break.

now that's just plain crazy talk...why find the root of a problem when you can blame liberals for everything....
  • Options
    truroute wrote:
    When people give reason and rational as to why others kidnap/blowup/ decapitate/ bomb/ whatever. I dont think i have to IMPLY jackshit.

just because people talk about reasons why terrorists or whoever do shit, doesn't mean that they are jumping to the defense of them. What is wrong with trying to learn why fucked up people do screwed up stuff?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    now that's just plain crazy talk...why find the root of a problem when you can blame liberals for everything....

You're right. We should just leave it up to others to tell us they hate us "Just for being Americans"...
  • Options
    truroutetruroute Posts: 251

You really like that word imply dont you? I didnt say you 'sided' w/ anyone. Find another stone to stand on please.
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

Again, you guys love to gang up on people that dont agree w/ your ideals. I did not 'blame liberals' for anything. RTFT
  • Options
    truroute wrote:
    You really like that word imply dont you? I didnt say you 'sided' w/ anyone. Find another stone to stand on please.

Who is implying anything? (Yes, in cases like yours, I like to use the word imply, because that's what youre doing when you say)

"they (liberals) are the ones on this board that always jump to the defense of 'freedom-fighters', 'terrrrrrists', suicide bombers...."

Yes, you didn't say we "sided" with the terrorists, just that we "defend" them, and how is that different in your eyes?
  • Options
    just because people talk about reasons why terrorists or whoever do shit, doesn't mean that they are jumping to the defense of them. What is wrong with trying to learn why fucked up people do screwed up stuff?

There is nothing wrong w/ that at all. And for the most part, i understand and agree w/ the reasons that some people give.

I posted this article, then wondered if someone would provide a reason, in a defensive stance, as to why the baptist church does this.

Apperently someone got thier butt hurt.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,218
    truroute wrote:
    The reason i singled out liberals in the first post is because they are the ones on this board that always jump to the defense of 'freedom-fighters', 'terrrrrrists', suicide bombers....err i mean freedom fighters w/ no other options....and the like.

Not trying to start a "political debate", more of a "i want to understand why you think the way you do because to me you sound like you're trying extremely hard to impress ppl on this board" debate. *whew*
    Trying to figure out WHY someone would go through all the trouble of flying a hi-jacked plane into an office building is a tough proposition. And trying to figure that out is NOT siding with the terrorist.... just as trying to figure out WHY a gunman would shoot unarmed school girls is NOT sympathizing with the shooter.
    And you cannot equate the fighters in Iraq with terrorists. They are living in an occupied country. Iraq and terrorism have nothing in common except that the actions there are creating more and more people willing to figure out some way of getting a nuclear device and detonating it over here.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Cosmo wrote:
    And you cannot equate the fighters in Iraq with terrorists. They are living in an occupied country. Iraq and terrorism have nothing in common except that the actions there are creating more and more people willing to figure out some way of getting a nuclear device and detonating it over here.

True, at least with regards to the Iraqi fighters. The foreign fighters are there with different motives.
  • Options
    And with the exception of Cosmo, you guys are putting words in truroute's mouth. He is not equating looking for causes of terrorism with sympathy. Honestly? I've seen people on here argue that U.S. foreign policy contributes to terrorism, and these people were NOT being sympathetic. This is all well and good. I have occasionally seen people do something more like what truroute is suggesting, though ... Making excuses for highly pathological behavior. Terrorism cannot be reduced down to one cause, it is an overdetermined phenomenon. Saying or implying that the sole cause of terrorism is American behavior is just as misguided as saying that U.S. policies play no role.
  • Options
    True, at least with regards to the Iraqi fighters. The foreign fighters are there with different motives.
    Foriegn fighters. I alkways liked this term.
    Hmmmm... are Americans fighting in Iraq considered as 'Foriegn Fighters'... or does Iraq belong to us now? We broke it... we bought it, I guess.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Foriegn fighters. I alkways liked this term.
    Hmmmm... are Americans fighting in Iraq considered as 'Foriegn Fighters'... or does Iraq belong to us now? We broke it... we bought it, I guess.

People from other Middle Eastern nations have absolutely no business fighting in Iraq, especially when you consider that they kill far more Iraqis than they kill Americans.

And yeah, my view is that the Americans have no business there either.
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    cutback wrote:
    Yeah. This is not a political issue. These people are evil scumbags. I would think any semi-intelligent person would understand this.

Scumbags yes.. but what qualifies someone as semi-intelligent - our country is run by an elected evil scumbag.
  • Options
    truroute wrote:
    When people give reason and rational as to why others kidnap/blowup/ decapitate/ bomb/ whatever. I dont think i have to IMPLY jackshit.

No one here that I know approves of or excuses murder by any individual or group. Understanding the motive doesn't excuse the crime.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Do you think if we all just ignored these people they'd go away?
  • Options
    if people dying is god's punishment, screw god
  • Options
    No one here that I know approves of or excuses murder by any individual or group. Understanding the motive doesn't excuse the crime.

I dont think anyone here approves of any type of killing/maiming/bombing what-have-you.

I asked the question about rationalizing w/ 'extremists' because almost everyone here would probally think the baptists group were a bunch of morons w/out anyone giving the time of day as to "why they do it". When all they do is protest and not cause physical harm to anyone.-- While at the same time, muslim extremeism (sp) is often alloted a few pages of MT threads discussing why they do bomb/ kill/ maim/ kidnap etc. And sometimes its borderline sympathy IMHO, or just agreeing w/ them out of spite.
  • Options
    truroute wrote:
    I dont think anyone here approves of any type of killing/maiming/bombing what-have-you.

I asked the question about rationalizing w/ 'extremists' because almost everyone here would probally think the baptists group were a bunch of morons w/out anyone giving the time of day as to "why they do it". When all they do is protest and not cause physical harm to anyone.-- While at the same time, muslim extremeism (sp) is often alloted a few pages of MT threads discussing why they do bomb/ kill/ maim/ kidnap etc. And sometimes its borderline sympathy IMHO, or just agreeing w/ them out of spite.
    We know why the Phelps group does what they do. We live in America and have a pretty good understanding of Christianity and how people can take the Bible and warp it to justify the hatred of others.
    We are not so informed about Islam. I admit, I didn't bother to look into it prior to September 11, 2001... didn't really care to. I also admit i still don't know much about Islam, the Middle East's culture, arabic culture, Persian culture, customs, beliefs, etc... But, at least I'm trying to understand... understand what hatred drives a person to hate me so much.... he is willing to kill himself in order to kill me.
    No one sympathizes with terrorist. 'Terror Apologists' is a Bush Administration term that FOX News broadcasts to keep us divided along poliitical lines. Terror apologists exist in the same realm as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
    Given how many times I've read people on here making excuses for all sorts of bad behavior (especially from certain religious groups that shall go unnamed), I kinda see your point. I don't think you'll get many takers, though.

Dude...if your talking about muslims this actually goes to prove a point. REGARDLESS of RELIGIOUS preference idiots are idiots. If this was a muslim group we'd have a bunch of idiots spouting "i thought muslim is a religion of peace" If this groups of idiots was in the right enviroment I would not put it past them to strap on a bomb. If they can justify through religion that it's ok to protest funerals and "hate fags" then strapping on a bomb and blowing up a bunch of "fags" is not that far off.
  • Options
    truroute wrote:

It is wise to understand the reasoning of violent actions that happen to be killing our troops and many innocent people. If you never address the cause then the problem will never end. It would be like trying to cure AIDS by simply using condoms. It's not going to go anywhere until you address the root of the problem. There is no agreeing with killers or sympathizing with them. It is wrong and no one has said different. And feeling sympathy for the situation in the middle east and it's people who are suffering does not equal sympathizing with terrorists, no matter how badly you want there to be a connection.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    It is wise to understand the reasoning of violent actions that happen to be killing our troops and many innocent people. If you never address the cause then the problem will never end. It would be like trying to cure AIDS by simply using condoms. It's not going to go anywhere until you address the root of the problem. There is no agreeing with killers or sympathizing with them. It is wrong and no one has said different. And feeling sympathy for the situation in the middle east and it's people who are suffering does not equal sympathizing with terrorists, no matter how badly you want there to be a connection.

Nicely stated!
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    truroute wrote:
    http://www.cnsnews.com/news/viewstory.asp?Page=/Nation/archive/200610/NAT20061004a.html

A Kansas-based group that says "God hates fags" plans to picket the funerals of the Amish girls killed by a disturbed man in Lancaster County, Pa.

If we're going to legalize torture for certain people, use it on them.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    If we're going to legalize torture for certain people, use it on them.

I'm a pretty non-violent person, but if I had a chance to take a shot at one of them, I would.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I'm a pretty non-violent person, but if I had a chance to take a shot at one of them, I would.

I know! I was only half-kidding.

can we at least kick them out of the country? like put them off a raft and push them out to sea? i just have a hard time accepting the existance of such people.

I mean, ok, the guy who went psycho on these poor amish girls is obviously worse, but he's dead, and if he wasn't he'd go to jail. I guess it just bothers me that there's no punishment for these people.
  • Options
    Is there ever a time to quit wondering why they have so much hate, why they do the shit they do, and trying to find a reason for it all and just say "fuck'em, who cares?" What would it take?

Just a question, I mean it would seem to me that w/ the history of that area and what is happening present day, even w/ what they're doing to themselves, nothing will ever change.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    The Westboro Baptist Church -- described as a hate group by the Anti-Defamation League -- has made a name for itself by picketing the funerals of U.S. troops killed in Iraq. The troops are dying as punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality, the group says.

The Westboro group says the Amish school girls were "killed by a madman in punishment for Gov. Ed Rendell's blasphemous sins against Westboro Baptist Church.

utterly ridiculous and shameful...and it is groups like this that give religion and the religious in this country, a bad name. the 'extremes' on either side always do. bunch of nutters, that simple. also, absolutely shameful to show such disrespect for the dead.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    truroute wrote:
    Is there ever a time to quit wondering why they have so much hate, why they do the shit they do, and trying to find a reason for it all and just say "fuck'em, who cares?" What would it take?

Just a question, I mean it would seem to me that w/ the history of that area and what is happening present day, even w/ what they're doing to themselves, nothing will ever change.

Live a day in their shoes and you may thank your American butt where you LUCKED out to be where you were born.....just as I am thank-ful for mine...but I will never condone the actons your country takes....
  • Options
    truroute wrote:

Yeah when we become the Nazis! Think about what you're saying.
  • Options
    1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    I know! I was only half-kidding.

can we at least kick them out of the country? like put them off a raft and push them out to sea? i just have a hard time accepting the existance of such people.

I mean, ok, the guy who went psycho on these poor amish girls is obviously worse, but he's dead, and if he wasn't he'd go to jail. I guess it just bothers me that there's no punishment for these people.
    I am glad I live in a country where these people can say what they want. IMO, the alternative of government regulated speech is far worse. No matter how distasteful their message is, I fully support their ability to protest.