Options

Fall Out Boy

Comments

• Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    exhausted wrote:
    the "..cork tree" record is awesome.

and i know how uncool that makes me but i love that disc.

From Under the Cork Tree

FUCT?

HA

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Never heard their stuff. Radio sucks. Why feed Clearchannel any money.
  • Options
    bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    rival9500 wrote:
    it's just a shame that there are really good bands out there making great music that aren't going to get noticed because of shit heads like fall out boy. I call it the "pussification" of youth.
    nice...looks like i found a george carlin fan in the house!
  • Options
    rival9500rival9500 Posts: 544
    bluemonkey wrote:
    nice...looks like i found a george carlin fan in the house!

Good call my friend.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    I agree ....
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    goto_l wrote:
    Do you know what's worse than Fall Out Boy? All of you fake fucking followers who think it's so hip to be a music snob. I'm actually old enough to remember these same comments about Nirvana, Soundgarden, and mostly Pearl Jam. You guys are not some ultra cool hipsters who know what's "best" out there. Get a fucking life, if you don't like something, why must you persist in talking about it so much.

It's about time somebody said that.

You know what's ruining music? Fans bitching and moaning.
  • Options
    Do you know what's worse than fake fucking followers who think it's so hip to be a music snob? People that come on to message pits and get all bent out of shape over something someone wrote. Wow, it's an internet message board folks. If you see a thread with the words WORST BAND EVER, chances are it's someones opinion. So you can go get a fucking life Mr "I'm so cool that I'm a member of a message pit, that I will complain about peoples posts like a douche." You guys are not some ultra cool hipsters who know what's "best" out there.

Get a fucking life, if you don't like something, why must you persist in talking about it so much.

Yeah exactly, get a life dude.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    From Under the Cork Tree

FUCT?

HA

PBM

Van Halen (though at the time they made the album they sucked) did a better acronym than that... For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (FUCK). Fall Out Boy sucks ass (assuming they were trying to be original)!
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i can't say that i like them at all...though sometimes i find myself singing along to some songs and i don't even know it. i hate that!! all of my friends are fans...and they're in their mid-twenties!! but they did just get over their pop band phase, so i agree that this is their next logical step. but...i hate the band more for the simple reason that they came into my store and destroyed it when they were in town for a show. poor things were so new to the whole fame thing that they came in hoping that we would be playing their cd - there will be no pop punk while i'm on the clock! they also kept flashing their all access passes from the show in the hopes that someone would recognize them...noone did.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    rival9500 wrote:
    Do you know what's worse than fake fucking followers who think it's so hip to be a music snob? People that come on to message pits and get all bent out of shape over something someone wrote. Wow, it's an internet message board folks. If you see a thread with the words WORST BAND EVER, chances are it's someones opinion. So you can go get a fucking life Mr "I'm so cool that I'm a member of a message pit, that I will complain about peoples posts like a douche." You guys are not some ultra cool hipsters who know what's "best" out there.

Get a fucking life, if you don't like something, why must you persist in talking about it so much.

Yeah exactly, get a life dude.

The exact same thing could be said about your silly little post here...
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Fall Out Boy...

I dont get pissed listening to them.
    Thay are like Avril Lavigne.
    They are pop based rock.
    And even "I" find some of thier stuff catchy.
    I wouldnt buy it, but its just fun, kids music.
    And one thing I gotta say about this band is they dont seem to try to be something they arent. They know they make cheesy music. They know they make cheesy videos. Let them do thier thing and they will fade away. But until then Ill take em over Nickleback.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    NakedClown wrote:
    The exact same thing could be said about your silly little post here...

Which is funny how it goes around in circles on everyone. What the original poster who brought about this just did was say we shouldn't be posting our opinions on a message board. Everyone has full right to do that so long as it's in good taste. I don't see why I can't dislike a band because I find their music horrible only to get lashed out on by some guy who hates other people's opinions.

Sure people might've complained about Nirvana and the early 90's boom but the difference is that music at least had integrity and passion while Fall Out Boy is just another pop band looking for the quick cash. If you were to accurately throw a comparison between the early 90's and some era of music from this decade it'd be the recent 'Indie' movement. They at least have some sort of passion for making music and from what I've seen do it more for the art of it than the money.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    We have to remember that music goes in cycles.
    Rock has a rebound about every 10yrs. And as an opposite pop has that same cycle.
    So since we just went through a pop cycle rock is on the rebound.
    It starts with pop type rock and then a group of bands will rebel against
    this style and get harder or at least less mainstream. So be paitent.
    Snap your fingers and tap your toes to something not entierly bleak
    and wait for the good stuff to resurface.

But of course when that happens we will bash the bands for selling out.
    Becoming too comercial, getting away from thier roots.

C'est la vie!!!
    :D
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Fall Out Boy is what it is: catchy pop music. The teens of today latch onto anything with a good hook regardless of lyrical content (which is fine). They are entitled to listen to what makes them happy. The same kids would have latched onto NSync or Spice Girls a few years back. There are two types of kids. The ones who listen just for enjoyment and those who listen for content. I prefer the latter but not everyone does. That's why there are so many different musical genres. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Sure we may know that they are listening to crap but if they like it so be it. I've been susceptible to catchy songs from time to time. It happens subconsciously. There are tons of songs we all hate that we know the words to. This is because they have a catchy rhythm. Don't hate on everyone else's tastes (unless it's Nickelback which is inexcusable). We know good music when we hear it. They hear crap and think it's good. Who are we to judge.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Fall Out Boy is what it is: catchy pop music. The teens of today latch onto anything with a good hook regardless of lyrical content (which is fine). They are entitled to listen to what makes them happy. The same kids would have latched onto NSync or Spice Girls a few years back. There are two types of kids. The ones who listen just for enjoyment and those who listen for content. I prefer the latter but not everyone does. That's why there are so many different musical genres. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Sure we may know that they are listening to crap but if they like it so be it. I've been susceptible to catchy songs from time to time. It happens subconsciously. There are tons of songs we all hate that we know the words to. This is because they have a catchy rhythm. Don't hate on everyone else's tastes (unless it's Nickelback which is inexcusable). We know good music when we hear it. They hear crap and think it's good. Who are we to judge.

Yeah I HATE country music.
    But I wouldnt yell it on the streets of Houston.
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    Yeah I HATE country music.
    But I wouldnt yell it on the streets of Houston.

I HATE modern country music. The old stuff is good enough for me. It may be because I was raised in NC but Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Jr., David Allan Coe, Charlie Daniels, Merle Haggard and those guys made good country music in my eyes at least.
    adam42381 wrote:
    I HATE modern country music. The old stuff is good enough for me. It may be because I was raised in NC but Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Jr., David Allan Coe, Charlie Daniels, Merle Haggard and those guys made good country music in my eyes at least.

I'm somewhat of a closeted country music fan, but I think you're right - the old stuff is the REAL stuff. Although I do have some guilty pleasures. I love the new George Strait tune... love Garth's early stuff... Brad Paisley is pretty good (Alcohol, When I get Where I'm Going, Whiskey Lullabye)...

and I absolutely dislike this group, but I gotta admit, the video for "What Hurts The Most" by Rascal Flatts tugs at the old heart strings a little bit...
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    I truly dislike this band..how they ever managed to get the recognition and popularity..*sigh* will one ever know? But one thing I found revolting was that they were on some mtv2 show yesterday and their guitarist was wearing a Pantera shirt. You know, the least that could be done is show a little respect towards Pantera and yet wonder as to why if they like them, why is the influence nonexistant through the music..hmm...

I personally don't like Fall Out Boy at all... Who the hell makes a song called "Dance, Dance" anyway? But I will say on the Pantera shirt matter: It is quite possible to love a band like Pantera, and have their influence barely show up in your bands music. If you heard my band, you'd probably wonder, "Where's the Pearl Jam?" And yet I love PJ enough to post on this board-- they're my favorite band ever.

It is kind of tough to hear them as one of our influences though (at least on our first cd).

But I think it's quite possible that whoever was wearing the Pantera shirt really digs Pantera-- sometimes you really just don't want to go the route of your musical heros. For me personally, I really can't make music like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Tool, AIC,-- my life hasn't led me in that direction.

Or he could be a poser too, ha ha
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Gods honest truth, I had a dream last night that i was at the T in the Park music festival and met the guy from the fallout boy video 'dance dance' in the crowd at pearl jam, and he was upset because i was making fun of his band! Dont know what the hell that was about, although i would actually make fun of his band if i met him.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    stu gee wrote:
    Gods honest truth, I had a dream last night that i was at the T in the Park music festival and met the guy from the fallout boy video 'dance dance' in the crowd at pearl jam, and he was upset because i was making fun of his band! Dont know what the hell that was about, although i would actually make fun of his band if i met him.

LOL!!! I'd probably do the same thing myself, and make him cry like a little girl!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    NakedClown wrote:
    There are far worse bands...

I really can't blame a bunch of young guys fucking around and making shitloads of money. Like someone else said, they don't seem to take themselves seriously..
    lol, me and some friends a few years back wanted to start a pop/rock band called the Morning Woodies. :D

None of us knew how to play any instruments. I was going to be the singer, but also had never sung.. except in the shower. lol.

You know, had we taken it more seriously, you may have added The Morning Woodies to the list as well. :p
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    I dont buy the Spice Girls/Hanson/BSB to Fall Out Boy/Simple Plan/Good Charlotte. I used to like BSB, I am man enough to admit it. I was like 10 when the Spice Girls and Hanson hit the market so I of course picked it up and like 11 and in middle school when BSB came out. I went from that to Everclear, to Linkin Park to Nirvana to fucking Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Doors, Black Sabbath, The Who, Alice In Chains, Hendrix, Cream, SRV, and I have been a Beatles fan and Rolling Stones fan all of my life.

Music is one of those things that your spectrum of gets wider as you age, or at least it did for me. Some of my friends on the other hand, it seems theirs has gotten smaller. Its weird, my friend owns Nevermind but now listens to shit like Fall Out Boy. It pisses me off. Then they complain they cant understand Eddie and that their SNL performance was like "watching paint dry." I was so mad at them. I can't understand a word that dude from Fall Out Boy says. Its all slurred together and blah.

I watched the Fall Out Boy performance on SNL to see if they had any redeeming qualities and they definitely take themselves too seriously. Jumping all over the place pretending their music means something. It was sad. And they were HORRIBLE. One of the worst live performances I have ever seen. They suck.

Also I say take Sum 41 off that list. Theyre actually a talented band and have definitely evolved into something better than the All Killer No Filler album. For instance Still Waiting is a phenomenal song.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    I'm somewhat of a closeted country music fan, but I think you're right - the old stuff is the REAL stuff. Although I do have some guilty pleasures. I love the new George Strait tune... love Garth's early stuff... Brad Paisley is pretty good (Alcohol, When I get Where I'm Going, Whiskey Lullabye)...

and I absolutely dislike this group, but I gotta admit, the video for "What Hurts The Most" by Rascal Flatts tugs at the old heart strings a little bit...
    I absolutely hate Rascal Flatts. That isn't country music. Not much that is out today really is country. George Strait still makes country. Garth made good hybrid country back in the mid-90s which I liked a lot. Brad Paisley has made some pretty catchy stuff. I also love almost everything that Travis Tritt did in the 90s. Other than a select few songs, I don't enjoy modern country music. I'm mostly a rock guy anyway, but I respect and enjoy the outlaw country music I mentioned before. I forgot to mention Willie Nelson and George Jones in that group before. Willie is one of the great songwriters of all time. I was surprised to see that Eddie Vedder mentioned George Jones in his new Rolling Stone article (online version only).
    so basically any band well known and popularized sucks and bands that never become famous and succesful are the ones with actual talent
    im awesome
  • Options
    so basically any band well known and popularized sucks and bands that never become famous and succesful are the ones with actual talent
    No, only time will tell what is actually good music. Crap fades within a few years. The stuff that people are still listening to 5, 10, 20, 30 years down the road is the stuff that was actually good music. If you think Fall Out Boy will stand the test of time, you are sorely mistaken.
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279

There are some pretty good 'known' bands, but a lot of bands that are phenomenal are hideously underheard
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    adam42381 wrote:
    I absolutely hate Rascal Flatts. That isn't country music. Not much that is out today really is country. George Strait still makes country. Garth made good hybrid country back in the mid-90s which I liked a lot. Brad Paisley has made some pretty catchy stuff. I also love almost everything that Travis Tritt did in the 90s. Other than a select few songs, I don't enjoy modern country music. I'm mostly a rock guy anyway, but I respect and enjoy the outlaw country music I mentioned before. I forgot to mention Willie Nelson and George Jones in that group before. Willie is one of the great songwriters of all time. I was surprised to see that Eddie Vedder mentioned George Jones in his new Rolling Stone article (online version only).

Like I said - not a fan - but that song does somethin' to me...
  • Options
    GenGen Cardiff Posts: 130
    rival9500 wrote:
    No offense to anyone over the age of 12 that listens to this garbarge.

Spot on. This band are shite!

Though, for some strange reason, that "we're going down, Sugar" song is ALWAYS on the radio!!!

You know when a band is crap when some emo girl (you can imagine her looking at you and thinking "no-one understands me"..) has Fall Out Boy lyrics written all over her backpack and on her knuckles... seriously, Cardiff is breeding these little "indivuduals"! :(
    PJ Virgin.. till the Astoria :)

Am I the only Welsh person here?
    Ydych i'n siarad Cymraeg?
  • Options
    adam42381 wrote:
    No, only time will tell what is actually good music. Crap fades within a few years. The stuff that people are still listening to 5, 10, 20, 30 years down the road is the stuff that was actually good music. If you think Fall Out Boy will stand the test of time, you are sorely mistaken.

Well said.
  • Options
    Pjammin10Pjammin10 Posts: 24
    goto_l wrote:
    Do you know what's worse than Fall Out Boy? All of you fake fucking followers who think it's so hip to be a music snob. I'm actually old enough to remember these same comments about Nirvana, Soundgarden, and mostly Pearl Jam. You guys are not some ultra cool hipsters who know what's "best" out there. Get a fucking life, if you don't like something, why must you persist in talking about it so much.

Just to add on to that - If you're trying to be an ultra cool music hipster you should probably study up on what the *real* ultra hipsters (producers, sound engineers, sound techs, etc) listen to. They listen to ALL music. I've worked with people in all of those professions and if I've learned one thing it's the fact that having a closed mind toward any of that music will get you NO WHERE. For someone in music, it is crucial to keep an open mind to all and any music even if your friends or some lame people on a message board thinks it leads to "pussification."

Personally, I'll listen to just about any kind of music, as long as it has one of two of the most essential elements - phenomenal musicianship (Tool, Dream Theater, Pearl Jam), or extremely well written hooks (Kelly Clarkson, Matchbox 20, Switchfoot).

As far as Fall Out Boy and Panic! At the Disco go, they are not great bands, but they do have a few great (hooky) songs:

Fall Out Boy: "Sugar, We're Going Down Swinging" & "Dance, Dance"
    Panic! At the Disco: "Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off", "The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is the press coverage", and "I write sins not tragedies".

I urge you all to open your minds.
    ::Mike