Dave Matthews Band

TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Ok, so they are one of my favorite bands, but I get more shit for liking them than PJ, but my main problem is this, they are hands down one of the most talent bands I've ever heard, Dave has a genious style of playing the guitar, I've never heard anyone play like him, so I get kinda offended when my friends say, "Dave sucks", then they go throw on a Godsmack or Linkin park CD, what I'm trying to say is, you don't have to like something to respect it, I understand people have opinions. Anyone else get crap for liking Dave Matthews Band? And if you are not a fan of the band feel free to join in too.
9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i never knew of the hate for dmb 'til i joined here.....i always thought i was a music snob....ha!....some people here go way beyond anything i've ever thought about music.....:rolleyes:
  • lukin420lukin420 Posts: 80
    2nd Favourite Band To Pj

Can't Wait Till The Spac
  • cutback wrote:
    i never knew of the hate for dmb 'til i joined here.....i always thought i was a music snob....ha!....some people here go way beyond anything i've ever thought about music.....:rolleyes:

Pearl Jam fans are the most self-righteous, snobby fans on Earth. I specifically don't sit in Ten Club seats because of them. I have found (and post it on here every time one of these threads comes up) that DMB fans are much nicer.

I love Dave Matthews Band. I've seen them umpteen times and never get tired of listening to their music. They can do plain old fun stuff like "The Song That Jane Likes" or "Ants Marching," but are just as good with more intense stuff like "Sugar Will" and "Cry Freedom."

I'm not crazy about the Stand Up record, though. I loved the 2 singles and "Old Dirt Hill," but the rest was kind of blah. I hope their next cd is much better.

EDIT---to answer the original question, no, almost everyone I know seems to like them. Except for those people who won't like something if it is popular, but they don't like them by default---not really on merit
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • I really can't stand their music at all, but my wife is a huge fan and I've taken her to like 5 shows...they are VERY talented musicians and it really shines through during their solo improvs. But damn I can't stand them myself! ;)
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    pjny wrote:
    I really can't stand their music at all, but my wife is a huge fan and I've taken her to like 5 shows...they are VERY talented musicians and it really shines through during their solo improvs. But damn I can't stand them myself! ;)

this is the kind of reaction I wish I could get out of my friends, atleast you give them credit for being talented
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I find their music to be a bit on the boring side. I had a bigger problem with their fans, DMB is a band that should only be liked by certain people but I noticed that everybody that was popular at my high school was a huge fan, it made me come to the conclusion that people only liked them because it was popular to like them and pretending to be a big fan would help them fit in. By the way, I dont think that every single fan is like that.........just many of them.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • i like Dave Matthews band A lot !! I hate his Fans

Live at Luther College is one of my all time favorite cds
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I find their music to be a bit on the boring side. I had a bigger problem with their fans, DMB is a band that should only be liked by certain people but I noticed that everybody that was popular at my high school was a huge fan, it made me come to the conclusion that people only liked them because it was popular to like them and pretending to be a big fan would help them fit in. By the way, I dont think that every single fan is like that.........just many of them.

I agree, every time I see them live alot of his fans are on cell phones during half the show, they deserve better fans!
  • ISUalISUal Posts: 40

Agreed completely. I love DMB, but find their best music to be VERY inaccesible and not immediate at all. I have almost never really like a DMB song the first time I hear it, it has to grow on me. The way they write music requires more patience than the majority of their fans seem to have. So while I am a huge DMB fan, I have a hard time understanding why so many people that don't seem like the kind of people who have musical patience like them. My conclusion: same as you; they're doing it to be cool
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    lukin420 wrote:
    2nd Favourite Band To Pj

mine too...seen 'em 3 times and seein them at both camdens this summer

I got soooo much shit for likin dmb in the pit and among my o.a.r./phish/dylan/grateful dead friends
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
    I'm a big DMB fan but like most of you I don't like the majority of their fan base. Everytime I walk into a college party I see a huge Dave poster on the wall then I look at the people who live there and it just doesn't add up. Everytime DMB concert I go to I see a billion frat boys with there collars popped and again question if they truly understand the music. All in all I love DMB for their musical talent.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Really?? We are not supposed to like them? Hmph. I love them.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • ISUal wrote:
    Agreed completely. I love DMB, but find their best music to be VERY inaccesible and not immediate at all. I have almost never really like a DMB song the first time I hear it, it has to grow on me.

You nailed it. They are definitely a band that can't be pushed on you. You have to hear something interesting and start to pull.

I've been lurked on these board for a while now and have noticed much hate for DMB here. Not exactly sure why.
  • Brian V.Brian V. Posts: 51
    Like others I've noticed this hate.

Personally I think they're great. Stand Up is bearable, but I've enjoyed all of their other cds.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    DMB is a great, great band!

I do wish that they'd take some time off from touring, go their separate ways for a while and come back to the studio fresh. Some of their work of late has really made me cringe.

I think touring THAT much can be a bad thing.
  • ForestBrainForestBrain Posts: 460
    DMB, good band. I have UTTD, Crash, Before These Crowded Streets and Everyday.
    I don't like any of their newer ones.
    They are very talented and Dave is a genius on guitar, but I'm kind of sick of them.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i think they should take more time between albums and work out the songs on the road....if they played "the idea of you" a bit longer on the road it might turn into a great song.....but i think it's gonna be on the next album....hope this makes sense had some wine and weed.....:):)
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135

I don't think it was necessary a popular trend to like them in their glory days. I see where you're going with that thinking because I noticed that as well---that alot of popular people were into them and it just caught on. But I truly do believe that their messages of peace, love, and understanding in their songs are what attracted the mainstream. I think that all of us deep down are idealistic, drug-free hippies---but most people don't want to admit that. If we all really did achieve world peace, it would probably only last for so long before several people would comment on the boredom and try to start up some shit. why is that?
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    ~~~
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Went to see them recently, loved it - especially the jams!

Tom Morello coming out and doing songs with them made the whole thing even better :)
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    TheGossman wrote:
    Ok, so they are one of my favorite bands, but I get more shit for liking them than PJ, but my main problem is this, they are hands down one of the most talent bands I've ever heard, Dave has a genious style of playing the guitar, I've never heard anyone play like him, so I get kinda offended when my friends say, "Dave sucks", then they go throw on a Godsmack or Linkin park CD, what I'm trying to say is, you don't have to like something to respect it, I understand people have opinions. Anyone else get crap for liking Dave Matthews Band? And if you are not a fan of the band feel free to join in too.
    dmb haven't released anything since 'before the crowded streets' that wasn't absolute dog shit.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
    TheGossman wrote:
    this is the kind of reaction I wish I could get out of my friends, atleast you give them credit for being talented
    but all that talent has been dormant

btcs was their last great album
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:
    dmb haven't released anything since 'before the crowded streets' that wasn't absolute dog shit.

Agreed.

BTCS is a masterpiece..

Everyday is.. ehhh.. What You Are = best song on this album (would be worst song on anything pre-everyday however)

Stand Up is an abomination
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
    i always thought that the scariest thing in the world as a musician would be to lose 'it'. or as is says on SVT "or does 'it' go away for awhile and come back?"
  • Brian V.Brian V. Posts: 51
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    but all that talent has been dormant

btcs was their last great album

Lillywhite could have been a great album. The stuff on Busted Stuff is mostly good.
    Brian V. wrote:
    Lillywhite could have been a great album. The stuff on Busted Stuff is mostly good.
    all crap

crap crap crap

grey street had a punchers chance, but it was such a snooze fest lillywhite and busted stuff version

all i got to say

"rolling stone, gathers no moss, leaves a trail of busted stuff"

profound dave profound
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,583
    pjny wrote:
    I really can't stand their music at all, but my wife is a huge fan and I've taken her to like 5 shows...they are VERY talented musicians and it really shines through during their solo improvs. But damn I can't stand them myself! ;)

wow. your opinion on dmb echoes mine 100%. only difference is that i've been dragged to shows by friends not my wife. either way they are great musicians who make (in my opinion) very boring music.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i love DMB. i have been a fan since the beginning (grew up just outside of charlottesville). the newer stuff hasnt been that great.

i get a TON of shit from my friends for liking them. a bunch of us went to bridge last year and they sat down during dave's set. i was the only one standing. they said it made them cringe..."i can't believe you seriously liked that crap"....

i have issue with a lot of their fans. the example that sticks out was woodstock 99. for like 4 acts before DMB, these people around me were screaming at the bands on the stage- "GET OFF THE STAGE! BRING OUT DAVE!!!!!"....ugh...and then...when DMB came out, they talked to each other for the entire show. at a lot of shows i have been too, it is like they are at a frat party and DMB playing is just background music for their partying. at a show in Charlotte, NC several years ago, these guys inside the row from us left AT LEAST 3 times during Dave's set to go get beer....
  • QuitokidQuitokid Posts: 14
    no one can criticize DMB in a bad way, they played in Woodstock and means excellent band
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”