The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    in the mail yesterday I got the Road Apples 30th anniversary deluxe box. holy shit this release is a thing of beauty. the quality in just the record jackets kind of amazed me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Coool. I am banned from buying anything before Christmas but that's definitely on my list. As well as Kid Amnesia and the Nevermind box :)
  • gord is on. " i dance to forget "

The Tragically Hip - At The 100th Meridian
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Q2D8FhsBw
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    OLP coming to the city this week. Start listening random and Ballad comes on, I forgot about this song.  Raine nailed it, he got me again, unprepared. Miss u Gord

https://youtu.be/tz9QmNTxxDk
    hey @1ThoughtKnown, forgive me if I've asked you this before, but do you have the Hip's discography on vinyl? if so, how's the sound? also, do any of the records come with lyric books or anything, or is it literally the wax in a cardboard jacket and that's it? when I held a few of them at sunrise records, seemed awfully light and thin. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Dallas Good of the Sadies passed away today. he apparently was under the care of a physician after they found a cardiovascular issue earlier this week. he was 48. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Very sad  - Sadie’s were a Canadian indie institution imo, and were always great to see.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Just watched an internet commercial for Canadian Tire with a choir-based version of “Ahead by a Century” being sung. I guess Crappy Tire is 100 years old.  Not a fan… This Notes for You. 
    I know the band shared all writing credits but not sure who owns the publishing. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2022
    Just watched an internet commercial for Canadian Tire with a choir-based version of “Ahead by a Century” being sung. I guess Crappy Tire is 100 years old.  Not a fan… This Notes for You. 
    I know the band shared all writing credits but not sure who owns the publishing. 

Yeah, I hate it when that happens... But then I remember these guys still have to pay mortgages and stuff. I am glad they can make some money. I recently heard OG Blind Melon in a truck ad too... Really bugged me until I remembered that band basically plays bars now, and suddenly I didn't mind OG Blind Melon being used to schill trucks so much.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    that stuff used to bother me when they used to become millionaires through record sales. that hasn't been the case in years. now sell your music to whomever will pay, I say. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I’m not arguing against selling your copyrighted material in a holistic sense. But a bad version of an amazing song for a retailer that is the Canuck version of Walmart? Once again, not a fan. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    I don't think the hip must of made that much money touring either.  They'd play medium/large venues in canada then bars anywhere else.   Even Canada they'd do the other tour of smaller venues.  Plus we only have so many cities, so it must of been hard to save that much dough given their most popular spot was a small populated country.

That's gotta hurt when you lose your frontman.  Hardest role to replace.   Lose your ability to earn :(
    Zod said:
    I don't think the hip must of made that much money touring either.  They'd play medium/large venues in canada then bars anywhere else.   Even Canada they'd do the other tour of smaller venues.  Plus we only have so many cities, so it must of been hard to save that much dough given their most popular spot was a small populated country.

That's gotta hurt when you lose your frontman.  Hardest role to replace.   Lose your ability to earn :(
    oh, I think they made plenty of money. they were charging $70+ a ticket selling out 10-15,000 seat venues every year or two years. then bars everywhere else. and you can make decent money even in smaller venues in europe if the promoter is willing to pay, which I'm guessing they did. and pre-spotify radio money actually made a dent. 

but yeah, I certainly don't blame them for "selling out" now. I'm sure Gord gave his blessing to do so. I mean, he felt so guilty he even suggested his brother become the new frontman just so they could keep touring. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    Zod said:

but yeah, I certainly don't blame them for "selling out" now. I'm sure Gord gave his blessing to do so. I mean, he felt so guilty he even suggested his brother become the new frontman just so they could keep touring. 
    Really? Wow - I did not know that. I 100% believe it; but did a double take upon reading it for the first time.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

Gibson said:
    Zod said:

Really? Wow - I did not know that. I 100% believe it; but did a double take upon reading it for the first time.
    yeah, I think it was Mike he wanted to take over. I can't find the interview, or how serious Gord was about it, or how the other members would have felt about it, but Gord did ask him to do it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Zod said:

oh, I think they made plenty of money. they were charging $70+ a ticket selling out 10-15,000 seat venues every year or two years. then bars everywhere else. and you can make decent money even in smaller venues in europe if the promoter is willing to pay, which I'm guessing they did. and pre-spotify radio money actually made a dent. 

That's good money to average people like us.  I think in terms of their peers, it's probably on the lower end?  Plus the limited places to play where they could sell venues that big.

But yah.. if they were wise with money they've still got way more wealth than us.. but you know.. lifestyle creep :)
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

That's good money to average people like us.  I think in terms of their peers, it's probably on the lower end?  Plus the limited places to play where they could sell venues that big.

But yah.. if they were wise with money they've still got way more wealth than us.. but you know.. lifestyle creep :)
    I guess I don't really know. I know that the guys in the Tea Party, who have never played arenas, much less sell them out, make a very decent living. the singer once owned castle in Ireland FFS. I'm actually very surprised at the living these people seem to make, even mid level bands/musicians. Unless they are insanely in debt. Guess it's hard to know. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited April 2022

ON THIS DAY, April 4th, 2012. 10 years ago today, we released The Tragically Hip - Studio - Day 5 on our Youtube channel, and we were met with mixed reviews… This video remains largely unseen by many of our fans, and brought out comments of confusion, laughs, and slight frustration from those that had seen it. 

The short film synced our studio footage with Gavin Brown (producer of “Now For Plan A”), to the audio of Kapitel 11: Rasputin by Hellboy and Kooznetz’ cover of Rasputin by Boney M. Pretty hardcore. It was directed by Max Montalvo (director of “The Lookahead” music video) with Gabana Films ( In A World Possessed By The Human Mind (Official Video)Now For Plan A (Official Video)At Transformation (Official Video)The Lookahead (Official Video). Let us know what you think of the video, 10 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4POwKg1D4M
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited April 2022
    more summer/cottage merch available today. The had some leftover vinyl single crates, so snagged one. Just checked and they're already sold out. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Live at the Roxy Vinyl getting released by itself!!! 
    this is starting to piss me off. first they release saskadelphia on its own. then they release it again as part of a box set, so now I have two. now they release part of the "part of this limited box set only" on its own. I get it. they need to be smart about how they make their money now. but stop fooling the fans into buying shit they don't want or need more than once. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think I'll pick this new one up... Anyone have knowledge about the availability? I'd rather wait to spend less on Amazon ($55 seems too steep)... will that be an issue though? Or will this be a huge wide release?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    this is starting to piss me off. first they release saskadelphia on its own. then they release it again as part of a box set, so now I have two. now they release part of the "part of this limited box set only" on its own. I get it. they need to be smart about how they make their money now. but stop fooling the fans into buying shit they don't want or need more than once. 
    I understand that... But on the flip side, it rocks for those who didn't buy the box sets, lol.

• southpsouthp Posts: 265
    killer whale tank on vinyl!!
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think I'll pick this new one up... Anyone have knowledge about the availability? I'd rather wait to spend less on Amazon ($55 seems too steep)... will that be an issue though? Or will this be a huge wide release?
    I pre-ordered on Amazon.  $39.99 USA.  
    PJ_Soul said:
    the email said 

"Also at Amazon, Sunrise Records, or any of your favorite retailers".

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    I understand that... But on the flip side, it rocks for those who didn't buy the box sets, lol.

if they release Hoof Hearted as a stand alone I'm going to lose it. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I feel the same way.   I'm going to need to be more picky about my tragically hip purchases going forward.  ie don't buy things right away.
    Zod said:

I feel the same way.   I'm going to need to be more picky about my tragically hip purchases going forward.  ie don't buy things right away.
    I also bought that "limited" canoe paddle last year. Being a friend of many a cottage owner, I thought it would be a cool one of a kind gift. Well, wouldn'tcha know it...there's a "2022 edition". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 691
    “Tired as fuck” blankets…anyone have an extra? missed out when they went on sale, think it was last fall/winter