The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Zod said:
    I thought about that too. after I ordered it online. lol. was thinking it would be sweet to just be able to hit sunrise records tomorrow to pick it up, but if it had already been shipped to stores, the news would have likely leaked about the release. maybe in the future. 

yah, fuck it, I'm in.. lol.

I'm finding it hard with how many records I order over the internet (that I can't find at my local store).  All those shipping fees and excess garbage make me feel a little guilty.     On the other hand it's a long lost EP of Road Apples songs.. holy shitballs! :)
    yeah, the shipping fees are killer, but honestly, the vinyl prices at local stores often reflect that price anyway, or close to it. 

I was slightly disappointed to read they couldn't find the studio version of Montreal, but if the live version is nicely cleaned up, then I'm sure it will be just as good. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,641
    This is going to very good!
    holy shit i already got a shipping notification for Saskadelphia LP
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Gah I was gonna hold out and buy local but now I gotta order it. I can't handle this lol.
    Ordered. Now do I wait for the vinyl or do I cave and listen to the stream tomorrow???
    oh i'm caving at midnight tonight for SURE
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ha yeah who am I kidding lol.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    I'm really looking forward to this. I recall hearing a bootleg with Get Back Again and Susie Q in the early nineties. Get Back Again was studio quality, Suzy Q was a clean live version. There was likely a few more songs on that cassette tape.  I'm hoping these 6 songs sound really good. I'll play one of their albums and I'm always struck by how good the song writing is. Played In Violet Light a week ago.... damn good stuff. Something new to play this Victoria Day weekend. Be safe and enjoy everyone
    Suzy Q? that's one I've never heard of. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,502
    edited May 2021
    Suzy Q? that's one I've never heard of. 
    It's legit GOOD. Man, I wish I could find my old CD bootlegs. I'd send em over. There was a fanpage, "Rory's Hip Fan Base" or something like that, that was loaded with live versions and unreleased gems... I'll hunt that down for ya if I can.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

edited May 2021
    https://hipbase.com/show-archive/

I thought there used to be boots on this site....can't seem to find them. maybe I'm thinking of the other site you pm'd me. not sure why I'd have this site bookmarked if it didn't provide anything. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Saskadelphia is so damn good. Makes me wonder what else they have in the closet. Hopefully this is the first of many. Kind of bittersweet though, I'd love to hear Not Necessary at an outdoor show this summer.

the pictures they've posted on social media of the sheer amount of tapes they have to sift through, it's incredible how much stuff they must have. I do recall they said they were halfway finished writing the follow up to Man Machine Poem before they even released that one, and prior to Gord's diagnosis. Whether they were half finished recording or just writing is unclear though. 

even if they opened up the vault of live shows, I'd love to have all the shows I went to. I have a few, but not all, and the early ones the sound quality isn't the best. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118
    I’ve listened to this a few times now and Not Necessary and Montreal are the standouts for me. I think it’s going to be a Hip catalog day for me. 
    Ya I'm going down the rabbit hole now. I don't have any boots from any Hip shows I've been to, going back through my stubs to see if any are out there. So far:
    Red Deer Feb. 20/1995
    Saddledome Nov. 19/2004
    Mac Hall Oct. 28/2006
    Virgin Festival Calgary 2008
    Jubilee Auditorium Sep. 24/2009
    Shaw Millenium Park Calgary Sept. 7/2013
    Rexall Place Edmonton July 30/2016
    Saddledome Calgary Aug. 1/2016
    If anyone on here has any leads to any of them I would LOVE to have them :)
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    edited May 2021
    In Montreal.... the lyrics, "snow is so mericless..." and "Mother's gonna make her look good" show up in the Live Between Us recording, I think.... I can't place what songs atm.
    they used to play it occasionally during Nautical Disaster I believe
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

it'll be interesting to see how often they do this type of thing. it seems to me that reuniting with their old manager Jake Gold has really facilitated the band remaining active, especially with the merch. He actually confirmed that when he "liked" a tweet of mine in that vein. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• halvhalv Posts: 674
    The performance with Feist was really gorgeous. Would love to see a full live theatre show with her as vocalist. Would be very different without Gord but I'm sure amazing. 
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,641
    It was an amazing performance last night. Love the Hip and Feist. Really good song choice as well. 
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,502
    May 30th said:
    It was an amazing performance last night. Love the Hip and Feist. Really good song choice as well. 
    Agreed. I love Feist, but I'll be the first to admit that I was insanely worried and skeptical about this. I have to say that the performance blew me away; almost gave me a tear.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

just got a "virtual ticket" for a virtual walkthrough of the Bathhouse Studio by the band and you get to submit a question the band may answer (my wife has a visa avion card, got the invite through that). it's on our anniversary. not sure if my wife is thrilled about spending the evening of our anniversary watching the hip in their studio, but too bad! LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Road Apples Box Set looks good. Man I already have Saskadelphia but the live double vinyl & the demos record are hard to resist. My wife is gonna kill me. 
    bought it. also, if you order the box before Oct 15, your entire order is only $10 shipping in canada. couldn't pass that up. bought a shirt and the stemless wine glasses as well. 

and yes, my wife is going to kill me also. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Why couldn’t the LP box set contain the red Road Apples vinyl?!  So had to buy that separately along with slip mat and the cd box set too!!  Good thing I bought the wife a new phone yesterday :)
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,904
    sigh.... I'm not big on demos and outtakes vinyl.  I usually spin them once and never again.   Live vinyl though... I really want that live show on vinyl.  So basically (like the Metallica Black Album boxset, and the Pearl Jam Vs/Vitalogy Boxset) I'm probably going to buy the boxset just for the live vinyl.  The other part that gets me is that they released saskadelphia first knowing this was coming out.   Creating a lot of double dip positions.  I guess that's good for them financially, but not so great for the environment making a bunch of redundant copies people don't need :(

I will express patience though.  When I ordered Saskadelphia it showed up everywhere else within a week.   Maybe I can save a few box if it shows up on musicvaultz or amazon.
    my goodness the acoustic version of Fiddler's Green makes me tear up even more than the original version. Here's another good version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mJvcY104M
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

just posted a free download of Gord Downie, The Sadies, and the Conquering Sun in the RAK thread in Lost Dogs. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD